• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

In guild sniping

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser31771

I just built an Arc and have started sniping profitable spots on GBs within my neighborhood. Well, I liked it so much I started taking a few opportunities on my friends list. Now the rub, sniping can be an awesome tool to store ephemeral hourly FPs and make a profit on FP packs and now I am seeing opportunities within the guild. Should I do it?

DeletedUser32389

I just built an Arc and have started sniping profitable spots on GBs within my neighborhood. Well, I liked it so much I started taking a few opportunities on my friends list. Now the rub, sniping can be an awesome tool to store ephemeral hourly FPs and make a profit on FP packs and now I am seeing opportunities within the guild. Should I do it?
If you care about your guild, just ask the building owner. It's in our rules that in-guild sniping isn't allowed without consent. Are you taking a spot away from guildmates, or random hoodies ON YOUR guildmates buildings? Are they bigger or smaller than you? Big difference

Dreikhelm

As long as your leaders don't have any rules against it, I don't see why not. My guild has several self levelers who can be quite profitable with an Arc. You might want to avoid FP swap club buildings to avoid drama though...

DeletedUser31771

If you care about your guild, just ask the building owner. It's in our rules that in-guild sniping isn't allowed without consent. Are you taking a spot away from guildmates, or random hoodies ON YOUR guildmates buildings? Are they bigger or smaller than you? Big difference

Here was the situation: Zeus at 440/510 with three people on top at 50 FPs each. 61 locks it and pays out 64 FPs which isn’t real profitable but stored 10 FPs off my FP bar. The top two spots were held by guild mates that are considerably higher than me and there is no guild rule stated about sniping yet

Volodya

If you're sniping positions from non-guild members, sure, why not? But... Not everyone here will agree, but I think it's REALLY bad form to snipe paying positions from fellow guildies who have made a significant investment in the GB. I would quickly leave a guild where that was an acceptable practice.

I do think that whatever happens in the natural course of the exchange threads is fair game.

Volodya

Here was the situation: Zeus at 440/510 with three people on top at 50 FPs each. 61 locks it and pays out 64 FPs which isn’t real profitable but stored 10 FPs off my FP bar. The top two spots were held by guild mates that are considerably higher than me and there is no guild rule stated about sniping yet
Speaking strictly for myself, I routinely don't add points to a GB even when the exchange threads leave me tied with someone and just a few more points would lock in a substantial profit. I think that's contrary to the whole idea of a guild.

DeletedUser31498

Do you participate in the swap threads? It's one thing to contribute a lot to swaps, and maybe top someone off to lock in a spot. But it's another I think to just sit and snipe and profit off other peoples' levelling?

@Volodya yeah I'm somewhat in that camp. If I'm first, and there's like 30 left, I'll probably add 15 or whatever to play defense. That to me seems totally fine?

qaccy

Personally I take issue with a GB owner putting 3 people on the same GB at the exact same amount. Because of how GB rewards work, that guarantees that at least one person is getting screwed relative to the others, regardless of whether someone ends up sniping a spot or not.

This (and the issue of sniping guildmates) are the two primary reasons why I don't use FP swap threads at all. People get taken advantage of and they don't even realize it.

Freshmeboy

Too often in swaps, players feel their fps are worth a 1:1 ratio and they won't add ONE MORE FREAKING FP to lock a spot from the outside or the inside unless its returned in kind...then they bitch when someone passes them by. Approach all GB donations with a mathematical eye on your slots. If it costs you five or ten to lock the thing down, do it. Your guildie gets the extra free and you can turn your attention to another GB. If that's too much trouble, then self level. As for sniping guildies GB's ask your leaders or the GB owner if you feel a moral dilemma. If you wish to be altruistic, put in enough to lock your guildies in...

DeletedUser31771

Do you participate in the swap threads? It's one thing to contribute a lot to swaps, and maybe top someone off to lock in a spot. But it's another I think to just sit and snipe and profit off other peoples' levelling?

@Volodya yeah I'm somewhat in that camp. If I'm first, and there's like 30 left, I'll probably add 15 or whatever to play defense. That to me seems totally fine?

I understand what you're saying, but the purpose of swap threads is to invest in other peoples' GBs while feeding your own and hoping that you get rewards. If you want to guarantee that you get rewards, you have to lock the spot.

Freshmeboy

Too often I see the "I won't pass my guildie because he was here first" in self level and swaps...I believe that is a mistake. It takes time from the actual leveling when your guildie could be using those bonuses and rewards are returned that much quicker and utilized again. It's a basic concept of volume GB leveling. The more GBs rise, the more strength you and the guild acquire....allowing GB's to languish because the owner sees an opening for more free fps to be added but the players are using polite etiquette does nobody any good. Donate, lock and level as quickly as possible is what builds strength in this game...

DeletedUser31498

To everyone who suggested you ask the GB owner....that's a little silly. Exactly two people benefit from the snipe, you and the GB owner. Just bc they want free FPs isn't exactly a meaningful hurdle to give you the go-ahead. That is most certainly a guild leadership question.

DeletedUser31771

Why is someone's contribution worth more than another's. Just because they were there first?

Algona

Ask your Guild Leadership?

Depending on the avswer to the above, either grab the FP ot point out to the GB owner and the 3 bidders that they are setting themselves up to be sniped.

Or both.

Snipinh occurs because someone misbid. Take the opportunity to point this out to them. Then if they do it again, take the opportunity to take the FPs.

----------

Great timing. Yesterday my Guild started a discussion to decide the Guild policy on sniping in the day where Arcs are becoming common.

We're pretty immature in that respect me and one other at 77 and 78, 2 in their 40's the rest below 30.

It;s an interesting discussion.

Good ol; Arc, warps everything it touches.

Last edited:

DeletedUser8428

Why is someone's contribution worth more than another's. Just because they were there first?

T, I don't think anyone's contribution is worth more to the GB owner. But some might say that if part of the point of belonging to a guild is for the group to support each other, then taking taking a top spot from a guild mate certainly sounds more like "every man for himself" than team building.

Just depends on how YOU and your guild view individual vs group.

DeletedUser31498

Too often I see the "I won't pass my guildie because he was here first" in self level and swaps...I believe that is a mistake. It takes time from the actual leveling when your guildie could be using those bonuses and rewards are returned that much quicker and utilized again. It's a basic concept of volume GB leveling. The more GBs rise, the more strength you and the guild acquire....allowing GB's to languish because the owner sees an opening for more free fps to be added but the players are using polite etiquette does nobody any good. Donate, lock and level as quickly as possible is what builds strength in this game...

I hear what you're saying, but I don't know if that's right. The rewards are fixed, and hence zero sum I think? If everyone contributes 50 FPs, and you swoop in and put in 80 to win 100 let's say, did you really help? The GB owner saved 80 FPs, you net 20 FPs, and the other contributors collectively lost 100 FPs.

The only way the guild is actually better off is if you use an Arc to snipe over the reward amount, and hence contribute FPs over the "loss" to the others. But if they have Arcs, then you're not helping, only relative to your % bonus to theirs. Think that's right, but possibly not.

Volodya

Personally I take issue with a GB owner putting 3 people on the same GB at the exact same amount. Because of how GB rewards work, that guarantees that at least one person is getting screwed relative to the others, regardless of whether someone ends up sniping a spot or not.

This (and the issue of sniping guildmates) are the two primary reasons why I don't use FP swap threads at all. People get taken advantage of and they don't even realize it.
This is just silly. The whole point of the exchange threads is that no one is ever screwed, because you always get back at least what you put in (unless someone fails to honor their commitment, but that's obviously a separate matter.) If you win a reward position that's gravy. The GB owner isn't "putting" any player anywhere, unless they only ever utilize one of the exchange threads, say the 50 fp exchange. Mostly that's not what happens (I don't think I've ever seen it); generally the owner will enter their building in various threads at various amounts so the players accepting the exchanges wind up at different levels depending on their investment. That's entirely fair. Sometimes ties happen in the course of events; so what? To repeat, you still at least recoup your investment.

You seem motivated mostly by a fear of being screwed by your guild members. I'd leave a guild where that's a legitimate concern. I worry a lot more about screwing my guildies than about being screwed by them, but to each his or her own I guess.

DeletedUser31771

Maybe we can look at this differently. Swap threads are not intrinsically reward threads. The agreement is that you put X number of FPs on the preceding person's GB and the next person does the same for you when they come along. You get back as many FPs as you contribute as long as everyone plays fairly. That's their purpose. A side benefit is that if you contribute enough to the same person's GB and are one of the top 5 contributors, you get a reward.

In the meantime, any person can contribute to any GB at any time. If someone comes along and contributes enough to receive a reward, why are you mad? You received what was initially agreed upon. If you wanted the reward, maybe you should have done what was required to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.