• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

In guild sniping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody*

I think it's more a function of how they are already spending their fp's. I can only speculate but I would venture to say that they are in guilds with a 1.85 or so lock thread. If that's the case they don't need to search for snipes because people offer them up within the guild, since they'd be making some profit off of those there isn't much need to go out sniping on your own.

This is definitely part of the truth. Another part is that when you're collecting 500+ FPs/day from your town the incentive to hunt for snipe profit declines. In addition, if you end up spending a lot of time giving 1.9 trades to guildies, you have little time to hunt for profit.

Volodya

Well I don't know about valuing the social aspect more, and they certainly can spend all their FP relatively quickly if they felt it worth it - but with an 80+ arc you have people who just ask for you to take a profit off them, usually with fairly high level buildings that pay decent profit with no effort of scanning the hood to find them. It tends to (mostly) be the midlevel arcs that are stretching for every FP or free arc print they can find from snipes.

I find more or less having finished the arc journey kinda makes you lazy. You probably do 1 or 2 more buildings to enjoy the profits of your labor and then you start realising there isn't a challenge to it anymore and you don't really NEED more hyperlevelled buildings, so you just sorta slow down and pick the next one and level it as you can naturally and it's still way faster than pre-arc times.
Sure, I'll buy that scenario too. I suppose all of our guess contain some truth. What isn't speculation is that East Nagach anyway just isn't a hotbed of sniping, so "someone else will do it" doesn't really fly as a justification of sniping one's own guild..

DeletedUser29218

I find more or less having finished the arc journey kinda makes you lazy. You probably do 1 or 2 more buildings to enjoy the profits of your labor and then you start realising there isn't a challenge to it anymore and you don't really NEED more hyperlevelled buildings, so you just sorta slow down and pick the next one and level it as you can naturally and it's still way faster than pre-arc times.

I've found this part of your post to be so true. It has been 3 days since my last GB "scan" and I'm still lvling ~4GBs at once. During the times I was home usually did once a day.

Yeah I mentioned that in my post, read the second paragraph:

"The only way the guild is actually better off is if you use an Arc to snipe over the reward amount, and hence contribute FPs over the "loss" to the others. But if they have Arcs, then you're not helping, only relative to your % bonus to theirs. Think that's right, but possibly not."

My bad

DeletedUser27889

Even before Arcs my guild had the rule 'If it's not locked it's not yours, no one owns spots on anyone elses GBs' This simple rule is how we have prevented any hard feelings. 'If you didn't lock it, what made you think you earned it?'

Personally I only 'snipe' the guild if it's a self leveler (so someone waiting for an arc to lock) or someone whose mostly self leveled with some small trades mixed in.

I will also always locked when asked by the owner of the GB no matter who has what on the GB. If I was asked by the owner then I do it, other guildmates might not like that, though none have expressed that, but they also know I would do the same for them if asked.

I do think it could be good to ask the owner because you may not realize they have a deal going with a lower member struggling with BPs. I think all guilds should strive to help out their newer players and if arcs or large swap donations are taking all the BP slots that player is never going to be able to grow. I've found it's always good to check in with your lower era players to see if they're struggling because chances are there are easy fixes hooking them up with an in house mate for 1:1 deals for the bps they're searching for.

Although typing this I realize we do have an exception to the 'if it's not locked rule' and as a leader of the guild it probably will make me sound awful but the rule is in our arc group they don't snipe me. Occasionally when I'm locking first at my full boost on an arc I'm not really locked, second could still snipe me but since everyone agreed to the 'no sniping Manda' rule in exchange for full value locks and knowledge that I'm not gaining anything from the deal, I do it.

DeletedUser31498

You aren't getting sniped - someone else is taking the spot that you didn't lock.

lol, yes, that is the definition of sniping. If everything is locked there's nothing to snipe. It's 100% fine you don't view it as a negative, but if someone puts on more FPs to lock the spot you are in, that is literally the definition of sniping....

DeletedUser32439

why is it called a snipe, why cant it be called playing the game? , , or making an advantagous move for myself.

a snipe ...like its a bad thing...if ppl dont lock thier place, then that is thier fault .

a snipe, i dun call it a snipe, i call it spending MY fp's on whatever i want.

DeletedUser29726

why is it called a snipe, why cant it be called playing the game? , , or making an advantagous move for myself.

a snipe ...like its a bad thing...if ppl dont lock thier place, then that is thier fault .

Because you're waiting until the opportunity is there and then taking it all at once. More or less it's called sniping because it's a common behavior we need a term for. Not everyone considers it a 'bad' behavior.

DeletedUser27184

TLDR
Sthephen is right.
Snipes are good.
Arcs level 80 are bad.

-----------------------

Snipes by themselves are fine. If the guild allows it, and most guilds do, then its just part of the everyday etiquette of the guild, and after a short time, the guild mates will learn and manage it.

The problem is the Arc. Most of the player have Arc up to level 10. This is just not enough to compete against the players with Arc level 80. In a lot of guild swaps, there come a situation where you can snipe the 1st/2nd places. This option is possible at first only to the high Arc players, and no other. So the 1st/2nd places are assured for those rewards, while the low level Arc players (or no Arc players) cant even enter the competition for the 1st/2nd place or they will lose 10's-100's of FP's. So even if the player is ready to snipe, and is 24/7 on the computer and on all the swaps, he still cant compete for the 1st/2nd place.
This inability to compete is the problem here. Not the snipe by itself. The Arc allows very few players to get the best rewards with minimal competition. It is maddening to be sniped a few times by high Arc players on a reward that I identified as good, swapped for, and wanted, but couldn't fight over it at the end as I didn't have the tools (Arc level 80). I love snipes and the contention over the rewards, but I couldn't fight over it!

At the end I joined the winning side, and leveled my Arc to 80 so I could fight over those rewards.

DeletedUser33701

Some people call it "GREEDY"....especially when they are working to help someone else and a selfish SNIPER comes along and cheats them out of the bonus points.....not really hard to understand if you actually consider others. :)

DeletedUser31771

So it's okay to be selfish as long as you're selfish in 5, 10, 15, 20, or 50 forge point increments -- just not in lump sums? Got it

DeletedUser8428

Some people call it "GREEDY"....especially when they are working to help someone else and a selfish SNIPER comes along and cheats them out of the bonus points.....not really hard to understand if you actually consider others. :)

Hmmm, a selfish sniper. So I come along and I see that you have a GB just sitting there, room for me to get in a end up with FP/BP/medals ... what, I'm supposed to contact you first and ask if I can take that spot?

I don't think so.

DeletedUser31498

Hmmm, a selfish sniper. So I come along and I see that you have a GB just sitting there, room for me to get in a end up with FP/BP/medals ... what, I'm supposed to contact you first and ask if I can take that spot?

I don't think so.

If it's all guildies, then probably you are, yes. Funny how that's so shocking to you. Read the title of the post...

DeletedUser27889

But if they're only helping them for the bonus points, wouldn't that make them greedy as well? Also, if they did a good enough job helping them I wouldn't be able to come in and help them a whole lot more.

DeletedUser33701

I don't think so.
Like I said, greedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.