• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Indy Age worth spending time in?

wiserpenny

Background -
  • In CA right now working on an Arc project. Min 60 before moving up, ideally 80. We'll see. Plan on also getting all other key buildings up to 10 that aren't already.
  • Heavy quest strategy as much as possible, so smaller footprint supply buildings are what I need now.
  • Anticipate "spend FP" being my big one once I 60-80 Arc.
  • Gunsmiths in Indy would provide a lot of RQ
  • I'm in Birka so the GBS in PE are still in high demand. I can sell goods for ~300 FPS per set, which is pretty decent I think.
  • This is my first play through the game so I can only read what to expect for each new era.

So.. from those with way more experience.. is it worth stopping in Indy, even for a little while? Or should I just tech advance past it into PE?

DeletedUser34893

Plan on also getting all other key buildings up to 10 that aren't already.
That is a relative term. Depends on your game style and what your goals are. I am sure they are not the same as everyone else. You mention recurring quests, it would be a good opportunity to get high levels of Chateau or maybe St. Marks or Lighthouse if you are doing coin and/or supply quests. Most will agree ARC should be the main priority.

Super Catanian

In Indy, you don't have to worry about two-lane roads. Not only are they bigger and more expensive, but they don't provide as much happiness, either. The big Military Buildings then need those roads, as well as all Goods Buildings. Also, while in Indy, you can get some PE Units which will help with fighting. If there is at least one PE or above Unit in the battlefield, the scale will increase, which makes it a crap ton more difficult to reach the other side. So bring one PE unit along with 7 Breech Loaders with a high attack boost and blast through GE like that.

DeletedUser30312

Personally, I enjoyed hanging out in CA more. Didn't care much for Indy, but a lot of players seem to like it. CA's better if you're doing RQs while building up your GBS since you can spam Clockmakers. Indy requires 4 Gunsmiths per quest, so it's harder to spam the RQs. In addition, I found combat to be more enjoyable in CA, in Indy, most of the units have a ranged attack, and that changes around around the battle dynamics.

wiserpenny

That is a relative term. Depends on your game style and what your goals are. I am sure they are not the same as everyone else. You mention recurring quests, it would be a good opportunity to get high levels of Chateau or maybe St. Marks or Lighthouse if you are doing coin and/or supply quests. Most will agree ARC should be the main priority.
Of course.
CF and LOA are already 10. I plan on getting my St Marks to 10 (currently 5) and then just taking my attack buildings the rest of the way. currently fight most the way through the first 3 levels of GE. The trio are currently all at 9-8.

DeletedUser36145

IMO, progressive is much worse than industrial, so there is no point in skipping indy fast. I am in prog for quite a while now and have ever regretted leaving indy. And next come the unrefined goods, so going up isn't a good option too...

DeletedUser31499

I spent a year in Indy Era. Thats where I got an arc, and leveled it to 80. Then using 1.9 got a bunch of my other GBs leveled not only to 10 but into the 60s and 70s. I settled on the Jag as my goto fighting unit, in 2nd place the howitzer. The Jag is great if the 1st thing you do is put it in the woods for that defensive bonus. It has great survivability. Just moved to FE so I left Indy around a year ago.

DeletedUser30312

lol.. well what age post CA are you looking forward to getting to?

CE of course. I don't hate ME or PME like I did PE, it's just that there isn't a lot of reason to want to park in either age indefinitely.

PME had the MG team, which I think is the first unit with Contact! So it was a decent age to fight in. CE is where it's at with the AAV, though.

Yeah, it is. The MG Team is a pretty good unit, and I like the Commandos too, but PME changes unit relationships around again, just like PE did, and that means taking time to relearn the combat system again. And like PE, the units sometimes match up badly against the previous age, when the strengths and weaknesses shift around. It's annoying when the game gives units of mixed ages like it does in GE. In PE and ME, one of the main things about this shift is that units now are strong against 2 other units instead of just 1. That gives the player more flexibility with strategy, but the inconsistency gets annoying. Haven't done much fighting against CE units, I think I had 1 fight against a neighbor with more advanced units so far, but I know the AAV is the main popular unit in CE, while the Missile Artillery or whatever it is seems pretty lame because it attacks once and then dies.

-Sebastian-

I just aged up from Indy to PE, last week. I'm already enjoying PE much more than Indy. Mostly, the fighting is so much easier. I have a moderate attack boost, but in Indy I was always worrying about picking the right troops, and running out of unattached units. In PE, I can just throw artillery or conscripts at it, and not worry too much. (It's just like WWI, that way...) I don't need 2-lane roads for much of anything, since my HC is giving me plenty of goods.

Also, I just like the way PE looks. It's probably my favorite era, in terms of the art. Except that Rinbin looks like a mime.