• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Is Babel a Waste of Space?

• Thread starter DeletedUser15633
  • Start date

DeletedUser15633

I put up my Babel not too long ago and am wondering if it's a waste of space. I could get far more population from the same space by putting up 4 town houses. It also gives me 7 goods/day at current level--big whoop. I'm stretched for space and would like to put up more military to fight GvG and am thinking about deleting/selling it. Has anyone else not bothered to put it up or deleted it after putting it up? On a related note, if you delete a GB do you still have it in your inventory to build again or do you have to collect the BPs all over again?

DeletedUser8861

I have a Babel in my biggest city, and it is fairly high level (leveled up) and it produces a great number of goods for me which is why I keep it....

You can delete a Great Building, but all forge points, goods and blue prints are lost when you delete (sell) the building.

DeletedUser9184

Babel is questionable. The only reason why I would keep it is for the goods; if you don't have a great trading environment, getting the goods you don't have a boost for is very useful, and not to mention they are implunderable.
If you sell your GB, you do need to collect BPs all over again, though if you had any duplicates after constructing the GB, those will remain.

DeletedUser8152

It is worth it for the goods, no question in my mind. The population is just a minor side benefit.

Though I don't have one because I don't like the looks :)

DeletedUser8428

:) That's how I feel about the Colosseum - eeuuww. Babel ain't beautiful, but the goods are incredibly helpful - takes the edge off not having boosts for everything.

DeletedUser6163

News headline for Contemporary Era reads: Babel makes a Comeback in the Forge !!

Babel is not very significant for population or goods in the early levels of the building or early ages of the game. Even then, any great building that produces goods is going to help - especially if you get plundered a lot, the goods from GBs of course cannot be plundered.

In Contemporary Era on, think about having a level 10 Babel producing Progressive Era goods. Thirty goods a day in a 4x4 space. That is equivalent to one PE goods building producing three 8-hour runs a day but still has the added benefit of being unplunderable. It's more efficient than a goods building at that point and takes up less space.

DeletedUser7289

I agree with kocab, at high level and in later ages Babel is very nice to have. Certainly, the Lighthouse is better, but I've found Babel to be worth the space.

DeletedUser10806

Love my Babel. Just sits there taking up 16 squares and reliably churns out goods every day without having to be poked or prodded or motivated.

Well worth it!!

DeletedUser11463

I also like the Babel, it is small so can be moved fairly easy when adding new expansions. It just fits there as long as you can run a road to it. Also, the population is sort of a freebie with the goods being the main advantage. It is especially nice to get those free goods when you are just starting in an age because you can get any of the 5, not just the boosted ones. Agreed on colosseum, dumped that baby rather quickly. The medals were minimal after the first few sets were used for expansions. Besides the deal castle offers many more medals compared to the Colo. The other fairly useless space grabber is the Notre Lame. I wish we could trade those BP's for something. I got 2 full sets with 1 section have 9 pieces.

DeletedUser10076

I once fell for the anti-babel propaganda and deleted it. A few weeks later i put it back up. An absolute must really

DeletedUser17301

Thank You for the Question and also for the really great answers! I was wondering the same thing!

DeletedUser7289

While I don't consider Babel one of the "elite" great buildings, I've found it to be well worth having. The goods come in very handy as you go up in age, and 4 x 4 is not a difficult space to work with. My advice would be to build and keep it if you can do so, but don't feel like you have to spend to get it.

DeletedUser

yes it is a waste of space.

getting PE Goods in contemporary era is garbage trade those CE goods down and you can make 8 PE for each CE -1 PE as cost so still 7-1.
trading you get to choose which good you want, collecting from GB you don't.
unless you go with a coin less city (no houses) the population is just a liability.
and spending that many fp on it isn't my idea of a good time.
when you get to the end of the tech tree goods are useless to you unless you gvg and fill guild trades.

I have never and will never build this gb on any world.

DeletedUser8861

I have a city (not on the US servers)...That has every Great Building, and with the exception of additional barracks for troops and Goods buildings, I have need of nothing in my city...If you have the time and patience, every Great building serves a purpose, and the more GBs you can add the less other buildings your city will require.

DeletedUser8152

yes it is a waste of space.

getting PE Goods in contemporary era is garbage trade those CE goods down and you can make 8 PE for each CE -1 PE as cost so still 7-1.
trading you get to choose which good you want, collecting from GB you don't.
unless you go with a coin less city (no houses) the population is just a liability.
and spending that many fp on it isn't my idea of a good time.
when you get to the end of the tech tree goods are useless to you unless you gvg and fill guild trades.

I have never and will never build this gb on any world.
Well you're probably right that if you're in ME plus and not involved with GvG, then Babel is less useful. But if you pick it up in like EMA, you can get a lot of benefit in the mean time. And even in the higher ages I'd say it's worth it's space, if perhaps not a lot of fp investment.

DeletedUser11463

This is a very interest debate and no flaming - awesome. I think it does well for many ages. Agree that late in the game it may not be the best to have. But I also feel that way about the many coin/happy GB's. Deal Castle is awesome now for the medals it provides. Same with Victory towers. However, if you've gotten all of the medal expansions and have a hundred thousand extra medals, perhaps not so much. Anyway, keeping my Babel for now. Free goods every day for months on end is a heck of a lot of free goods.

ITown

I personally think it gets better and better, starting in PE. As the goods it provides compare more and more favorably with a goods building, it becomes fantastic because of size and un-plunderability.
In TOM it will be even better, providing processed goods instead of raw ones.

DeletedUser

I wish we could trade those BP's for something.

YES, it would be GREAT to be able to trade BPs amongst the guild, etc. (similar to market goods). Alas, I know this has already been covered somewhere!