• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Is Babel a Waste of Space?

• Thread starter DeletedUser15633
  • Start date

DeletedUser17558

I never built one myself. I am sure if you follow the advice and get it way up there it is nice to have, but if people are going to give me FP, I can think of a bunch of other buildings I would rather have them in, some of which give goods as well.

DeletedUser18576

There are much better GBs (ie RAH, LoA, St Marks) that give goods and a production/coin boost. Space is limited, so consider leveling all these to their maximum level before putting up Babel. It a waste of FPs leveling up Babel when you could have spent it leveling something with a much better bonus.

DeletedUser20787

Well you're probably right that if you're in ME plus and not involved with GvG, then Babel is less useful. But if you pick it up in like EMA, you can get a lot of benefit in the mean time. And even in the higher ages I'd say it's worth it's space, if perhaps not a lot of fp investment.
I'm in total disagreement here, the unrefined goods at double value is the bright side of the babel to me, nothing is more annoying than having to put up a factory to make unrefined goods, yes you can trade back, or you can trade all the jumble your assorted GB spit out to whatever you need to produce before that leaving you with more usable refined goods.

DeletedUser24459

Goods are arguably one of the most important resources in the game, short of FPs. Plus it gives extra population and has one of the smallest footprints of all the GBs. Couple that with the Capitol and this allows you to build fewer residential buildings so you can have more room for other buildings.

Granted I am only in LMA right now, but I can see how Babel could be very helpful for the foreseeable future.

DeletedUser13838

Capitol is decent early on but loses it's value in later ages. I like the babel though it's not as good as the loa.

DeletedUser17265

In a game of hypotheticals which is what Foe is and isn't, (let's face it with a new and retroactive scoring system every so often, there is no knowing.) Babel is the best population GB.
Without a level cap, without a future era cap, potentially limitless population in the smallest available population GB of it's kind. Mathematically at present, ya can't beat it.
Yes the FP cost of leveling up gets expanded exponentially. My point however, is that if time is not an obstical (let's say, hypothetically, you pass your city on to a grandkid as inheritance and so on it gets passed along, the Babel has no limits like the others only it's smaller. :confused:

DeletedUser8152

In a game of hypotheticals which is what Foe is and isn't, (let's face it with a new and retroactive scoring system every so often, there is no knowing.) Babel is the best population GB.
Without a level cap, without a future era cap, potentially limitless population in the smallest available population GB of it's kind. Mathematically at present, ya can't beat it.
Yes the FP cost of leveling up gets expanded exponentially. My point however, is that if time is not an obstical (let's say, hypothetically, you pass your city on to a grandkid as inheritance and so on it gets passed along, the Babel has no limits like the others only it's smaller. :confused:
Well, somewhere around level 25000, the population increase per level drops below 1. So I'm not sure at that point that you would continue to gain benefits.
;)

DeletedUser17265

Well, somewhere around level 25000, the population increase per level drops below 1. So I'm not sure at that point that you would continue to gain benefits.
;)
The only way the benefit would stop is if it dropped to = 0 or below. Doesn't matter if the gain is .0000000000000001 . still a gain.
level 25000 eh? you have this on good authority, buddy? how many pop would it be holding by then?

DeletedUser8152

The only way the benefit would stop is if it dropped to = 0 or below. Doesn't matter if the gain is .0000000000000001 . still a gain.
level 25000 eh? you have this on good authority, buddy? how many pop would it be holding by then?
Well I'm not sure how the rounding works... if it doesn't track fractions internally, then it might stop going up at all.
The 25000 number is an extrapolation from existing data, I offer no warranty :)
If the extrapolation is correct, then at that point it will give a population of about 57k.

DeletedUser23772

So babel is ok...But increasingly gets better the more you level it?

DeletedUser24459

Its a matter of personal opinion and style of play, as is most aspects of the game. Myself, Babel is a must have early on since it produces goods. That along with Lighthouse helped me out quite a bit. Especially since both of them only take up 4x4 space, only Zeus has a smaller footprint.

DeletedUser6815

I have only built one, in one world. I don't think Babel is worth the space. The amount of goods it makes is minimal, and there are many other buildings much better for this. But it depends on your style of play. I am a warrior and I build to make war, and I don't like population GBs. If you want to be a trader and goods maker, Babel is okay.

DeletedUser15276

i think it stinks in early ages, i tore mine down one a long time ago,my city is practically all geared towards gvg but in fe any gb goods building is a plus i think
and it takes pracically nothing to put one up, trade down a couple higher age goods and ya got the ba junk for it

DeletedUser

yes, build it, it comes in handy and makes alot of goods of your highest era, all different too which is the best part.

DeletedUser8420

I built it got rid of it and don't have a desire to put it back up ....same with the Coliseum

DeletedUser10415

Any Great Building of mine that produces goods daily, and better yet, goods that I'm not boosted in, that cannot be plundered, is a great building indeed. It's 4x4. It's tiny. And awesome.

DeletedUser

it probably is good at high levels but just isnt worth spending fps on it imo
i deleted mine a few days ago to make way for SoKs.

DeletedUser13452

I think the Babel is under-rated by many players. It provides better goods production per tile than most goods buildings of any given age/era. That is, once it's level 7 or better. I will say that a player could use wishing wells instead, but they aren't guaranteed to give you goods everyday. Still, I think a few wishing wells can serve as well as a Babel (but will take up more space if more than 1, of course).

DeletedUser10415

I think the Babel is under-rated by many players. It provides better goods production per tile than most goods buildings of any given age/era. That is, once it's level 7 or better.

Even before level 7 it is better than most goods buildings, as the lack of goods boosts has no effect on it's output.

I have 7 cities, 6 of them HMA/LMA, and one FE, and Babel is in all of them.

DeletedUser

ALOT of thread necromancy going on lately ...

babel still isn't worth it

we are all in agreement fp are the MOST important resource in the game
houses = coin= fp,
population = happiness = loss of city space, although its effect is highly neglible after HMA for babel
yes eventually the return from coin- fp goes down but ive been playing 3 years and still get 10+fp from coin per day.
lv 10 babel = 2500 fp, 15(30me+) goods/day
IMO everyone should have st marks and lighthouse combined at level 10 is 88 goods a day (roughly enough for 3 ME+ goods buildings)
lv 10 st marks = 3180fp, returns 25(50me+)goods, AND 250% more coin
lv 10 lighthouse = 2720fp, returns 19(38Me+), AND 145% more supply

for the most part you don't need 90 goods per day (3-5 goods buildings worth a day)