• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Is City Defense at all possible?

LaGoulue

I've been attacked by armies with 500-600 attack boost (my city defense is 143 with 49 attack) and I wonder if it's actually possible to build a city defense capable to repelling those. Looking for city defense boosts, I find very few ... Castel del Monte, special evetn buildings, etc. and I'm beginning to suspect that it's impossible to build a successful city defense, to encourage attacks. I've ceased building a city defense army and let the 2 spear throwers have their day. If my thinking is incorrect, I'd like to know.

wolfhoundtoo

It is doubtful that you can build a defense that will keep out all attackers (at least not without obtaining a lot of special event buildings and the Great Buildings that can add both defense and attack to your defending army). Even if you do that you will still likely be able to be breached by a few people. The question is your issue with being attacked or presumably the plundering that can occur afterwards?

There are various methods to reduce or even eliminate plundering based on the design of your city. An occasional city shield can help in that regard as well (although a tad expensive in silver to keep it up all the time).

Plain Red Justice

If my thinking is incorrect, I'd like to know.
You can. Fill your city with Tactician tower and watchfire level 2s and a 3 digit level SMB, Terracotta and Deal's castle. Pay staggering amounts of Diamonds for all of these and place all the ritual flames that you can get from GE4. For better results, stay at an age where no advanced age units can be obtained

jorgedetaco

I've been attacked by armies with 500-600 attack boost (my city defense is 143 with 49 attack) and I wonder if it's actually possible to build a city defense capable to repelling those. Looking for city defense boosts, I find very few ... Castel del Monte, special evetn buildings, etc. and I'm beginning to suspect that it's impossible to build a successful city defense, to encourage attacks. I've ceased building a city defense army and let the 2 spear throwers have their day. If my thinking is incorrect, I'd like to know.
Ive been playing for 4ys. Im in a top 15guild. I have 132/380 defense and next era troops on defense. I get messages on a monthly basis saying how stupid my st basils is. They partially have a point. In that stopping top people is pointless. You will waste a ridiculous amount of space to block what you want to. So then you won't even have space to produce anything to defend. My goal is to stop the little weiners who just try lotto. Best you can do is lvl up. And collect on time. After enough times of nothing to grab they will move on. I had a deal for a bit, but the space required was just ridiculous. On the plus lvl 10 wasnt horribly expensive so deleting didn't sting too bad. I have 490/290 on the attack side and I can take out 2 wave battles with about the same boost. To stop that one would need at least 400/1000 defense. If you can't come close to those numbers dont bother.

Jern2017

291/1649, defending army consists of units several ages ahead of mine. If it's worth the space and effort is a completely different discussion, but It certainly is possible.

Attachments

• 20200927_162151.jpg
    20200927_162151.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 66

67Sage101

There are ways to build up defense but as high level youtuber says, it's pointless. Any level of defense you have can be beaten by a persistent attack. And to get that much defense ties up valuable tiles in your city that are much better spent on goods or forge point production buildings. His advise just live with the plundering or make sure you collect on time so they can't plunder you.

jorgedetaco

291/1649, defending army consists of units several ages ahead of mine. If it's worth the space and effort is a completely different discussion, but It certainly is possible.
The key part is that 1st# ive walked in like ive owned the place at 24%900. When I first lvled my tor I got slap happy with flames. And had st basils TA, and deal. So it was 120%ish/620. It was satisfying to knock out a few bullies, but so much wasted space. Just the deal alone I had space for 2 flourishing mills with 7 squares left over. So thats 14fps a day 98fps a week and so on. And at least 35 flames is 70 squares! Thats enough space for a Alcatraz! I beleive in some defense. Eventually I'll get tactician towers and delete st basils. My main justification for any defense is just getting sidetracked at work and forgetting collection. Besides on top of on time collecting you can pull the Okey doke and leave out some 5 min collections on buildings they usually plunder.

Lord Pest

A good offense might be your best defense. When someone attacks you you can turn around and attack and beat them. That might be the best deterrent to plundering. Remember, two can play the plundering game. Mutual assured destruction

jorgedetaco

My goal which seems to be ok so far is to keep out the bottom %60 of the hood. Out of the %40 remaining, the top %20 knows the money is in sniping. Which leaves the other 20% to contend with. Especially with my defense coming mostly from the TA and flames in filler positions.

LaGoulue

Thanks, so much, for your collective wisdom! Plunder-proof buildings and timely collections is what I've been doing ... it looks like tacticians towers and ritual flames are taking up space that victory towers could use to advantage.

Just An Observer

Thanks, so much, for your collective wisdom! Plunder-proof buildings and timely collections is what I've been doing ... it looks like tacticians towers and ritual flames are taking up space that victory towers could use to advantage.

I always sell any Victory Towers which come my way. 1 Medal a week? Pffft! Get some Winter Village kits and you can string together some 1x1's with 1x2's/2x1's depending on tile orientation that will do you better. Those tiny spaces also hold Sentinels. Pirate Guard Posts that are 2 across and 1 up/down add a 1% attack value.

P C C

Victory towers may have a little value early on when you have nothing better. But as soon as you've done a few medal expansions the length of time it would take one to provide a useful number of medals is so long they become almost useless. (on the other hand, you get almost nothing selling them in the Antique Dealer so it's not much of a loss If you place them in otherwise empty spots.) If you can get sentinel outposts to help your attackers, they're the best 1x1 size choice.

Mustapha00

I doubt that any amount of boost to DEF will make your city absolutely immune, 100% of them time, to all attackers at every point in the game.

I have my issues with the way Inno has implemented city defense but I will not rehash them here. Suffice to say that, at least in my opinion, taking the steps necessary to have a high ATT bonus yields a much more fun gaming experience than taking the steps necessary to have a high DEF bonus.

What I think you're looking for is the point of equilibrium in which you can fend off most attackers while still retaining some flexibility as to what buildings to plant. For that, I can't provide any sort of easy answer. It depends alot on what Age you're in: certain Ages have MUCH better troops than do others, so players will camp in those Ages, working on their ATT boosts while benefitting from better military units. Makes sense to me, even if I was (very) late to arrive at that conclusion.