• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Is City Defense at all possible?

DevaCat

I figured someone would call PLUNDERING respectful. I think PLUNDERING is a part of the game and said that in the original text... but, when you think that players of the same level, Colonial, as an example.. are equal, you are definitely living in a dream world. There is a tremendous difference between someone at 10,000,000 and someone at 400,000 at the same level. I believe games can be very dynamic and I believe that PLUNDERING new players is very static in this game, therefore, I challenge the designers to bring forth a new set of dynamics. Eventually, new players will become frustrated with always being taken advantage of and leave the game. Then your left with old game players and no new players. But, of course, the folks in the HIGH ends of the game (no MATTER what so called level they are at) will always justify things in their focus. So, why not challenge the "NORM" and try new things. So far, I am approaching this topic respectfully...
I don't really know what the heck "respectful" plundering means. I do know it's part of the game, that there are effective ways to deal with it, and that there is a subset of players who are extremely aggravated by it - so much so that they create a forum account and make this the first topic they dive into. To do so with bad attitude (all caps shouting and misstatements of what others have said) is not a guarantee of positive reception.

You have been replied to with respect so far. With respect, please take your opinions on plundering to one of the threads on that topic you say you have read, where they might be taken in context. This thread has to do with city defense.

Mustapha00

I'm not sure what the difference is between "respectful plundering" and any other sort.

In my mind, I hear a gentlemen with an upper-class, highly posh British accent saying something like, "Frightfully sorry, Old Bean, but my Troops seem to have defeated yours and are now hauling off copious amounts of your tinned beef and biscuits. Better luck next time, wot?"

Sheriff Of Rottingham

"Why is this guy upset about getting plundered?" is the real question that should be asked. Dude, you lost a tiny handful of pixels...chill. If you are inconsolable about getting plundered, then perhaps a game that has included plundering for over 8 years (that you've likely only played for 8 weeks) is not for you. There are plenty of PVE city buildings games out there. And why keep posting on this forum about it when everyone responding is telling you the same thing? Not logical.

85gt

I think Inno needs to double what the Deal and Basil`s gives out for att/def, it will still not stop plundering, but it will make a person have to work for it a little harder and it gives the city builder a choice to work those 2 GB`s for a chance at protection.
Many don`t bother with them both because takes up too much space and they do near nothing, so make them worth while or just get rid of them and add attack in the extra space.
Look at what they do to GE and the reccuring quest, they ramp up the att/def of the units you have to fight, so why not do it for the city owner for defense

Kranyar the Mysterious

Right now it’s 8 vs 8. Allow your city defense to have 2 wave battles. So like in GE the offense has to beat 2 8 soldier battles to breach your defense.

Sweet, even more battle points, so more fights. Me like! Of course those that place a real army in the first round and a single horseman in the second are guaranteed plunder bunnies.

Glockgemini

City defense is not a complicated concept. You need a strong enough defense to keep out the riff raff and you need to keep your buildings harvested to starve the top players plunder but they are mostly there for the tower points but will plunder if they get the chance. It is good to remember that most everyone looses more stuff due to poor harvesting than ever gets plundered.

85gt

Cannot always collect on time, and if you watch when someone dumps FP`s on their GB`s you will find what time they collect and show up at that time. It takes me like 5 min. to collect as I have 2 swaps and the FP bar only goes to 100 and I cannot use the collect button because I need to use my Blue Galaxy 1st. Its just not THAT easy for everyone, also want to use my coin % from Marks on the largest paying buildings first. There is nothing wrong with making the hood have to work a little harder to plunder, if a person chooses to use space for Defense then why should`nt that defense at least work most the time, those that use city space for attack works much better than those choosing space for defense.

Ckirk

There are ways to build up defense but as high level youtuber says, it's pointless. Any level of defense you have can be beaten by a persistent attack. And to get that much defense ties up valuable tiles in your city that are much better spent on goods or forge point production buildings. His advise just live with the plundering or make sure you collect on time so they can't plunder you.
Am i to understand that a building can only be plundered if it has finished a production and has not been collected?

LaGoulue

Since my post seems to have started this thread, I feel compelled to thank everybody for the numerous ways of viewing the issue and providing ways to resolve them. My solution has been to make all of my collections at the same time (by erecting a city defense out of the tavern and waiting for all of the collections to come due). I'm fortunate to have enough friends who polivate and my only vulnerability is the train and the wishing wells. I motivate the train so that leaves the wishing wells. As the collection time approaches, I check to see if I've been attacked ... if so, I'll self-aid the train. The second part of my solution is to leave the city defense to 2 spear warriors. I got rid of St. Basil and am considering the same fate for the ritual flames and tactician towers. I figure that any attacker would be bored and decide it isn't worth the effort. I'd love to know how many players plunder ... my hunch is not many. Plundering adds nothing to the joy of the game and perhaps a victorious defense would have some type of reward other than not getting plundered. An added benefit is saving space for more productive buildings ... from the 1x1 sentinels on up. After my 80 Arc, I like the Castel del Monte with its reward of FP and attack bonus ... I don't think any other GB contributes to these 2 crucial needs in this way.

Thanks, again, to this resouceful and helpful community!

CommanderCool1234

Since my post seems to have started this thread, I feel compelled to thank everybody for the numerous ways of viewing the issue and providing ways to resolve them. My solution has been to make all of my collections at the same time (by erecting a city defense out of the tavern and waiting for all of the collections to come due). I'm fortunate to have enough friends who polivate and my only vulnerability is the train and the wishing wells. I motivate the train so that leaves the wishing wells. As the collection time approaches, I check to see if I've been attacked ... if so, I'll self-aid the train. The second part of my solution is to leave the city defense to 2 spear warriors. I got rid of St. Basil and am considering the same fate for the ritual flames and tactician towers. I figure that any attacker would be bored and decide it isn't worth the effort. I'd love to know how many players plunder ... my hunch is not many. Plundering adds nothing to the joy of the game and perhaps a victorious defense would have some type of reward other than not getting plundered. An added benefit is saving space for more productive buildings ... from the 1x1 sentinels on up. After my 80 Arc, I like the Castel del Monte with its reward of FP and attack bonus ... I don't think any other GB contributes to these 2 crucial needs in this way.

The two things I d not agree with are that you should have more than two spearfighters and if plundering does not add any benifit or joy to he game why do people do it.

MarktheMagnificent

As a plunderer, I can honestly say that a two spearmen defence doesn't bore me. In fact, I see it as an opportunity to raid at minimal cost. I must also take issue with your assertion that plundering adds nothing to the joy of the game. I find it extremely enjoyable - breaking through defences and coming away with forge points, goods and sundry other stuff gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside of a job well done.

Algona

that leaves the wishing wells

WWs can't be plundered.

The second part of my solution is to leave the city defense to 2 spear warriors.

Nope. Any determined Plunderer will always plunder. What a 2 spear does is open the door for anybody in the hood to attack.

Stick with Collecting on Time, that is among the most effective things you can do.

Plundering adds nothing to the joy of the game

Nope.

Plunderers love it, see the Plunder progress thread. Or my signature.

Much more important, INNO loves it. They've made buckets of money over the years by adding plundercentric features then adding defensive stuff then repeating the cycle.

LaGoulue

I don't leave spearfighters ... they appear when there's no defense force, I think Well, FoE is directed at builders and/or fighters (I think I read that in one of the wikis). I'm a city builder/survivalist and love starting from nothing and building up a town (doing Medieval Dynasty right now, did Stranded Deep, Ancestors - the Human Odyssey, City Skylines, Banished ... all the way back to the first Age of Empires). Assassin's Creed isn't building or survivalist but I love the entire franchise as well as CoD, the whole Clancy opus, all of Far Cry, etc. FoE is a great game ... very addictive ... and can satisfy all of our gaming needs but when I'm attacked by a player with 900% attack boost, it discourages me from even trying to put up a defense. I prefer to level my GBs, accumulate goods, advance through the ages, enjoy my guildmates and the challenge of fitting everything I need into scarce and costly expansions.

I appreciate the massive amount of info in this thread ... have learned things I never knew. Thanks to all!

That is something totally different than stating " when someone from so far in the future still plunders". It is the same age. You have the same opportunity as the other player and points do not mean a thing. Those 10.000.000 could have been gathered without a single fight.

You rushed to Colonial and are now meeting players that are taking their time. Does that mean there is something wrong with the game? Is it possible there is something wrong with your playstyle?

Having played now for a while, I have come to expect plundering at times when quests force the issue.
It’s annoying and there is no defense when the AI has your units stand still and die. Having 2000 defense is pointless when the units don’t move.
You could just save time and code and not bother with the movie since the AI is dumber than a bag of hammers.

Offered are workarounds like collecting on time, etc are an option...except when a game stops being a game and becomes a job...that is broken.

The issue is with the design choices in the game that are not apparent until you play for while and you either accept that this boorish behavior or leave.
As in life there will always be people who want to be THAT person. Others do not think it’s not right or fair, which is why it will continue to be brought up.
Dismissing their concerns is not helpful.

in the end, there is no fix for what I consider a design issue, meaning I consider it bad design, but not a fatal flaw. The game is fun, for now, it’s just a question of whether it will stay that way. For everyone that will reply, we can agree to disagree now to save time. Peace out...

Beorn Bear

when I'm attacked by a player with 900% attack boost, it discourages me from even trying to put up a defense.
Then don't. Many players don't bother with defense. Avoiding use of buildings that can be plundered is the best solution. Easier and more reliable than "collect on time". New cities can't be plundered until near the end of Iron Age, and you can go through a few events before that point to get event buildings that can't be plundered to provide goods/supplies/coins after you unlock Military Tactics and become vulnerable. Or make use of recurring quests.
For everyone that will reply, we can agree to disagree now to save time.
Meaning you don't really want to be part of a discussion, so why bother posting?