• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Is it in bad form to let 1.9x friends snipe your GBs over your guild members?

DeletedUser38090

There are a couple of guild members who put in 3-5 fp on a GB, probably expecting to make an FP profit with their contribution. None of them contacted me saying they really needed blueprints, and I assume that putting in 3-5 fp isn't trying hard enough to tell me they really want the place. Would it be against FoE etiquette to contact my 1.9x friends once I self-level the GB enough so they could lock their places for a profit?

Agent327

Playing for 3 weeks and already having 1,9x friends and knowing how it works is amazing!

It isn't against the rules. If it is against ettiquette depends on who you talk to.

Graviton

If it is against ettiquette depends on who you talk to.

Thus the question.

There are a couple of guild members who put in 3-5 fp on a GB, probably expecting to make an FP profit with their contribution. None of them contacted me saying they really needed blueprints, and I assume that putting in 3-5 fp isn't trying hard enough to tell me they really want the place. Would it be against FoE etiquette to contact my 1.9x friends once I self-level the GB enough so they could lock their places for a profit?

In my opinion that's okay. The contributors didn't contact you to specifically ask for a reward spot, you don't owe them anything.

Emberguard

It's frowned upon for guild members to snipe positions on guild GBs or from other members in general.

That being said anyone randomly dumping FPs on your GB guildie or otherwise doesn't own the position without prior arrangement or securing of the position. So unless they're willing to match the same amount that you've been arranging already I'd kick them off.

If they're there because of a FP swap thread then they've already received payment and were never with a guarantee they'd keep getting that GB in the swaps so I wouldn't be worrying about kicking them off the top positions either

If they're there because of a FP swap thread then they've already received payment and were never with a guarantee they'd keep getting that GB in the swaps so I wouldn't be worrying about kicking them off the top positions either

I use the swap threads for the chance of getting a top spot. If a guildmate is using the swaps to make their gb lockable for 190 drops (instead of doing it themselves) ...I would find that very bad form.

cton2.forge

If someone ever tries to say that their 3-5 FP contribution got sniped by someone who (I'm making assumptions here, I know, and I know what they say about those who make assumptions) is probably giving SIGNIFICANTLY more than 5 FPs to lock in a top spot, that person is certifiable. The one who gave 5 FPs and then whined. Flippin nuts.

Sniping is avoidable if the spot that people are looking for is locked in. Otherwise it's open.

Now if you have a swap partner or otherwise promise a spot to someone and then pull that number when they've invested a couple hundred FPs into it, that would be extremely bad form.

Emberguard

I use the swap threads for the chance of getting a top spot. If a guildmate is using the swaps to make their gb lockable for 190 drops (instead of doing it themselves) ...I would find that very bad form.
I understand that which is why so far I've stuck with one method per GB rather then crossing over swap threads with 1.9 to help out those that only use swap threads. However if I were to use swap threads and there wasn't a deal arranged that they'd specifically be locking in a place then I'm not obligated to ensure they have any place on there. The deal for guild swap threads isn't contribution spots - it's a single FP for FP swap at a time. Even if I kept doing FP swap threads you still might not get a spot if other people use the swap threads more often or just at the right time, neither is it a guarantee that any GB on there will ever be lvl'd up unless that's what your turn would have accomplished (it's just a reasonable assumption that the majority using the threads will be lvl'd up or are intending to be lvl'd at some point)

That being said if someone does dump FPs onto a GB I'm currently in the mind to lvl I try to talk to them prior to getting 1.8-1.9 on there to see whether they'd be willing to match the amount (even if they take a bit longer to do so just as long as it's the same amount) - otherwise if they're not willing to match then they can expect to be bumped off.

Now if you have a swap partner or otherwise promise a spot to someone and then pull that number when they've invested a couple hundred FPs into it, that would be extremely bad form.
This - a promise is a promise and should be honoured

The deal for guild swap threads isn't contribution spots - it's a single FP for FP swap at a time.

I believe the deal for the swap threads is a single fp for fp swap at a time PLUS the chance of placing in a top spot. Otherwise you may as well self level.

Our guild doesn't allow using both methods simultaneously to level a gb. Either take advantage of the benefits of the swap threads or take advantage of the benefits of the 180/190 threads. But do not take advantage of your guildmates.

ODragon

Personally, I believe in self-leveling until 1 and 2 are filled by the 1.8/1.9 threads (sometimes third too), only when they are filled do I swap out 3-5. This way the people swapping know what chances they have.

The same time, I don't snipe guildies from the RR thread. I may do my best to get to first from the RR, it isn't by doing anything unfair, it is just by being on when the right GBs are up.

RazorbackPirate

I understand that which is why so far I've stuck with one method per GB rather then crossing over swap threads with 1.9 to help out those that only use swap threads. However if I were to use swap threads and there wasn't a deal arranged that they'd specifically be locking in a place then I'm not obligated to ensure they have any place on there. The deal for guild swap threads isn't contribution spots - it's a single FP for FP swap at a time. Even if I kept doing FP swap threads you still might not get a spot if other people use the swap threads more often or just at the right time, neither is it a guarantee that any GB on there will ever be lvl'd up unless that's what your turn would have accomplished (it's just a reasonable assumption that the majority using the threads will be lvl'd up or are intending to be lvl'd at some point)
To me, this is a really bad justification of why it's okay for you to take advantage of your guild mates. You know the moment you put your GB on that thread your intention is to shaft them out of reward spots. Your plan is to use their FPs for the lock-in points on your GB while using your power imbalance to ensure multiple high reward spots from the for yourself on top of it. You're counting on the fact that the junior guild members either don't know what's going on, don't know any better alternatives to avoid it, or don't care.

+1 to @Stephen Longshanks again.
Personally, I believe in self-leveling until 1 and 2 are filled by the 1.8/1.9 threads (sometimes third too), only when they are filled do I swap out 3-5. This way the people swapping know what chances they have.

The same time, I don't snipe guildies from the RR thread. I may do my best to get to first from the RR, it isn't by doing anything unfair, it is just by being on when the right GBs are up.
This is what I do. To me, it's the right way to do it. Otherwise it's pretty much, "Thanks sucka." Taking advantage of my guild mates is just not how I roll.

DeletedUser38090

This is what I do. To me, it's the right way to do it. Otherwise it's pretty much, "Thanks sucka." Taking advantage of my guild mates is just not how I roll.

Sounds like a really good GB-leveling method. I'll try that out myself.

DeletedUser35506

Even though I agree with you, one can ask for 1, 2 to be locked by guildees and afterwards repay their losses on a GB of their choice (donated to lock 1st/2nd - reward for locking 1st/2nd - contribution reward for locking 1st/2nd = loss). This way you also have a chance on getting the reward.

RazorbackPirate

This way you also have a chance on getting the reward.
Paying less than 227 FPs for a level that costs 3,591 FPs isn't reward enough? You have to also phish out those 227 FPs for another 30% gain? Really? There's a word for that, starts with a G, I know it'll come to me.

Another +1 for @Stephen Longshanks. Isn't it great when you can just sit back and let them make your argument for you?

DeletedUser14354

doesn't own the position without prior arrangement or securing of the position.\

half right. They don't own the position until they secure the position.

If someone puts 3-5 fps on a building, they aren't securing the spot. So that spot is ripe to be sniped (Christ, I had this term). So, your question is really: "knowing its almost certainly going to be sniped anyway, is it wrong for me to solicit contributions for my own GB?"

Answer: No. Never. Not under any circumstances.

If someone wants a spot, they have to lock it up. If they don't, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Emberguard

You know the moment you put your GB on that thread your intention is to shaft them out of reward spots. Your plan is to use their FPs for the lock-in points on your GB while using your power imbalance to ensure multiple high reward spots from the for yourself on top of it.
Except I've never done that. My guildies all get the top contribution spots it's just not out of obligation when it comes to swap threads as unless it's agreed prior as to who gets what spot the spot belongs to whoever has that spot at the time of the last FP going in.

As I already said if someone is on the GB I talk to them first before going to 1.9 as to whether we can make a deal. Either for a spot of their choosing or proportionate to whatever they've put in already. This isn't just swap threads, this goes for people that randomly dump without any arrangement.

Last edited:

Mustapha00

Assuming no factors that the OP did not mention, yes, I would think it extraordinarily bad form to >intentionally< allow a Guildie to be sniped.

I can't stress that word enough: >intentionally<.

It Shappens. People can and do occasionally miscalculate and leave the door open. But one's Guildmates deserve the benefit of the doubt. Friends, too, though to a lesser degree. Open season on the Neighborhood.

DeletedUser35506

Paying less than 227 FPs for a level that costs 3,591 FPs isn't reward enough? You have to also phish out those 227 FPs for another 30% gain? Really? There's a word for that, starts with a G, I know it'll come to me.

Did not understand what's your point. So I'll give an example. In our guild to level an arc from 55 to 56 you need to donate 3021 FPs. 1st is locked by 1.85 boost to be 1656 FPs giving a profit of 44 for an arc with 1.9 boost, 2nd with 1.85 is locked by 833 FPs giving a profit of 22 for an arc with 1.9. Samewise 3rd is locked by 277 FPs with a profit of 8. That leaves only 4th & 5th to be in less than 255 FPs (3021 - 1656 - 833 - 277 = 255). To lock 4th you need to donate 128 FPs with a loss of 54 (128 - 40 (reward) - 34 (contribution reward for 1.85 arc boost) = 54). Then 5th is locked by 64 FPs with a loss of 45 (64 - 19 = 45). The rest of FPs left (63) are covered by the owner to level the arc. So as you understand 1st, 2nd & 3rd make a profit, which is good for them. While locking 4th & 5th comes at a loss to the ones that donated. The donors then inform the owner of the arc where they want their losses to be paid (let's say 54 on donor's A CoA & 45 on donor's B LoA), so it is a win-win situation for all of them as the owner can level arc faster, 1-3 get profit & 4-5 get FPs on the GBs of their choice that makes them closer to leveling their respective GBs. Additionally the owner of the arc can win rewards from donors A's or B's GBs by placing at a position (1 to 5) there.

I took quite a big of an arc boost (1.85) of the donors, but imagine if it is much lower then the loss to be repaid is much higher for 4th, 5th, sometimes 3rd and at a low levels for 1st and 2nd.

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorbackPirate

Did not understand what's your point. So I'll give an example. In our guild to level an arc from 55 to 56 you need to donate 3021 FPs. 1st is locked by 1.85 boost to be 1656 FPs giving a profit of 44 for an arc with 1.9 boost, 2nd with 1.85 is locked by 833 FPs giving a profit of 22 for an arc with 1.9. Samewise 3rd is locked by 277 FPs with a profit of 8. That leaves only 4th & 5th to be in less than 255 FPs (3021 - 1656 - 833 - 277 = 255). To lock 4th you need to donate 128 FPs with a loss of 54 (128 - 40 (reward) - 34 (contribution reward for 1.85 arc boost) = 54). Then 5th is locked by 64 FPs with a loss of 45 (64 - 19 = 45). The rest of FPs left (63) are covered by the owner to level the arc. So as you understand 1st, 2nd & 3rd make a profit, which is good for them. While locking 4th & 5th comes at a loss to the ones that donated. The donors then inform the owner of the arc where they want their losses to be paid (let's say 54 on donor's A CoA & 45 on donor's B LoA), so it is a win-win situation for all of them as the owner can level arc faster, 1-3 get profit & 4-5 get FPs on the GBs of their choice that makes them closer to leveling their respective GBs. Additionally the owner of the arc can win rewards from donors A's or B's GBs by placing at a position (1 to 5) there.

I took quite a big of an arc boost (1.85) of the donors, but imagine if it is much lower then the loss to be repaid is much higher for 4th, 5th, sometimes 3rd and at a low levels for 1st and 2nd.
4th and 5th at a loss are for prints for those inside the guild on the 1.9 threads and those outside the guild on the 1.85x friends thread. No one takes a loss on a GB if they're not interested in scoring prints and we're all happy for a constant somewhat protected supply of cheap prints.

Often times, because I typically fill the lower spots from daily income and not from packs, 4th and 5th have been sniped for prints for much more than I would have gotten on a swap thread. If anyone puts less that that spot is worth, I'll have a guildie take it for the proper cost, again getting much more kicking them down than the spot is worth on a thread.

It works and it's simple. I have no interest in subsidizing guildmates' print purchases when those FPs could be going back into my own GB. If you don't want the prints, don't take the loss, I owe you nothing. Easy peasy.