1. Cultural Settlement - Feudal Japan

Arising from the Sengoku period of Feudal Japan, the clan of Akechi Mitsuhide has requested your help.
    As the Daimyo of his village, it is your task to lead the Feudal Japan to prosperity! Detailed information here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Changelog 1.153

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.156 will take place on Wed, July 10, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. GvG Improvements

Hello Queens and Kings,
    We'd like to keep you updated on what we're planning to do, as we're about to get started on implementing the following improvements, and would love to hear some community insight into if you feel these additions address some of the fundamental issues GvG faces.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Jordan Peele...Legit

Discussion in 'Debate Hall' started by mamboking053, Mar 26, 2019.

1. mamboking053

mamboking053 Active Member

I watched both movies- "Get Out" and "Us"

"Get Out" was alright. It wasn't anything as great as it was made out to be, but it was decent and entertaining, but still confusing. It seemed to rely on the notion that I'm supposed to take my confusion as a testament to it's complexity and depth, but I really didn't understand the actions of some of the characters in that movie except as things to try and create an air of bizarre creepiness.

"Us"...was garbage. Pretentious, certainly. But garbage. All those little nagging signs I saw in the first movie were magnified in this one. It's trying to be something it's not. And the music choice was horrendous. There's times a song will play that's just...off...from the scene. The volume is off and the theme of the song is jarring.

And then there's the plot. The movie begins decent enough, but then I started to scratch my head 20 minutes in. 2 hours later I left the theater bald and confused. This movie makes absolutely no sense, but, oh, that's just a sign that Peele is working in 4D.

I don't buy it. I think Peele is just over-hyped the same way Star Wars and a lot of these super hero movies are over-hyped. His movies function under the implication of being horror, of being socially meaningful and intelligent and deep, but...no. It's just a bad movie. Just a bunch of pieces thrown together.

But that's my opinion. What do you think?

2. Stephen Longshanks

Stephen Longshanks Well-Known Member

Who's Jordan Peele?

3. mamboking053

4. Stephen Longshanks

Stephen Longshanks Well-Known Member

5. mamboking053

Ah. All good.

6. BlackSand the Sly

BlackSand the Sly Active Member

“Get Out” is like “Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner” with completely messed up twist.

But as far as Jordan Peele being legit, the screenplay often has more influence than the acting in a good movie. Look how popular “Con Air” was, and Nicholas Cage’s acting was horrible in that one.

7. mamboking053

Con Air was awesome, dammit :mad: So was Waterworld.

BlackSand the Sly likes this.
  8. BlackSand the Sly

BlackSand the Sly Active Member

I like some of Jordan Peele's stuff too ... :p

Edit:
    For clarification on Cage in “Con Air”, being from the South, he absolutely could not do the accent. It was disturbing they even let him try.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    mamboking053 likes this.
  9. mamboking053

Yeah, I loved Key and Peele. I just think the two movies are over-hyped. Get Out was better though.