• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Just hit early middle ages and I'm awful

BadZute

I was doing just fine in Bronze age with my archers and ballista. Now though, everything is much harder. I don't think I've won a battle (just doing my story quests). I'm also too poor in goods to do any negotiations. So, does anyone have any helpful strategies for surviving the early parts of this age?

DeletedUser

I was doing just fine in Bronze age with my archers and ballista. Now though, everything is much harder. I don't think I've won a battle (just doing my story quests). I'm also too poor in goods to do any negotiations. So, does anyone have any helpful strategies for surviving the early parts of this age?
I think you mean Iron age with the Archers and Ballistas. I remember that every time I've had to go through EMA I have hated it. Archers are generally better than the EMA Mounted Archers, and I would use Mercenaries with them, unless you can get some Catapults through GE. Make sure you use the terrain to your advantage when you can, and don't rush forward too quickly with the Archers.

Algona

Turtle Power! Works on enemy with 3 or less ranged/artillery units.

Take 5 AI. Add 3 Catapults and/or Archers depending on the enemy..

Build the turtle shell by forming the AI in an echelon > on plains tiles with the points anchored on the left edge of the combat field. Place the Catapults/Archers inside. Wait.

Don't move! Pick off the enemy as they approach; enemy artillery first then whatever can reach your units fastest. By the time they get to your units you will have killed and wounded a significant number. Use the AI to polish off units as appropriate.

DeletedUser32232

Tough times. Take solace in the fact that everyone has run SMACK into EMA. It's one of those learning experiences. I've read Stephen Longshank's reply to your message and my 2 cents is to pay attention to his advice to using to the terrain. You're about to learn that terrain is both your best friend and biggest obstacle. You are soon going to wish you could scout terrain first. Good luck to you BadZute.

DeletedUser31882

At least, get your Zeus and CoA to level 10.

I chuckled!

Hunker down and focus on your city's productions. Not enough goods? Look into ways to fixing that. Trade your Iron Age boosted goods for the goods you need, look at potential GBs you can build (Babel & Lighthouse of Alexandria give goods per day) or pillage your neighbors.

Look into Guild expeditions, complete the first three encounters and you will receive an unattached Early Middle Age unit.

Develop a strategy. Are you a trader or a fighter? Do you want to participate in guild activities or prefer going solo? Look up some pros and cons in these forums and ask tons of questions!