• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Keep Capitol or Not?

Czari

I finally acquired an Inno Tower in my main world where I also have the Capitol. The latter is only level 8 but is sufficient to only need two extra housing units. My Inno is currently level 4; noticed this morning that the city's happiness had gone down - no longer the big smile. I updated some roads and have the smile back...barely.

Does anyone see any reason long-term to keep the Capitol? In one guild I was in I was told they would never build a capitol but they're also relatively new to the game whereas Inno was introduced after I already had a Capitol. I'm pretty sure the answers are going to be no, and removing the Capitol would definitely clear up some much-needed space but just wanted to check in before I removed it.

Thanks!:)

DeletedUser34893

Czari, leveling Inno makes more sense to me in the long run as it provides FP's also.

Graviton

This is a question I've been asking myself lately. I've been deleting the Capitol from all my cities after getting the IT to a decent level. I need the space more than I need the supplies and pop. So I think it's a good building early in the game but don't waste the FPs to level it too high (maybe 5 or so). If you can get the Inno early, do that instead.

DeletedUser35178

If I'm in Industrial Age and will never move up in age, worth build the Capitol?

Ta 152H

If I'm in Industrial Age and will never move up in age, worth build the Capitol?

The population density of the Capitol is well worth it in IndA, but eventually becomes poor as one moves up in age. So, in that sense, yes, if you're SURE you're never going to move up in age.

But, if you can get the population you need by doing an Innovation Tower, why build the Capitol? Although the initial cost is greater, as you'd probably have to fight for some BPs and buy some goods, it's going to give you those FP back over time, and you'll get much better population density. On top of this, if you decide later to move past IndA, you won't end up with a building that no longer makes sense within the context of later ages.

Agent327

No it still isn't. When it comes to population Habitat is most efficient, with Inno only slightly less. Since Inno has a much better second bonus, especially when you do not plan to move up in age, Inno is the GB to go to.

Czari

Aesthetics.

That's why I was hesitant to remove my Capitol as well - I like the looks of it. I did remove it in my main city when I acquired the Inno to make more room but I still have it in my PME and ME worlds. Since neither of them are "power worlds" I will likely keep it there.

As far as telling new people to never build a Capitol, I ran into that sentiment from members in the #1 ranked guild on one of my servers BUT it's easy to do that in a guild with people that have Arcs at 100+ and extra goods galore. In a mid-type, non GvG guild it's not that easy so I still think the Capitol is a good stepping stone.

Thank you all for your comments. :)

Woody*

In a mid-type, non GvG guild it's not that easy so I still think the Capitol is a good stepping stone.

If you care primarily about efficiency, it would be better to buy the goods with FPs even if you have to go outside your guild. In that regard, there is no sense in wasting the space and FPs on a GB that you know you will tear down later.

Ta 152H

That's why I was hesitant to remove my Capitol as well - I like the looks of it. I did remove it in my main city when I acquired the Inno to make more room but I still have it in my PME and ME worlds. Since neither of them are "power worlds" I will likely keep it there.

As far as telling new people to never build a Capitol, I ran into that sentiment from members in the #1 ranked guild on one of my servers BUT it's easy to do that in a guild with people that have Arcs at 100+ and extra goods galore. In a mid-type, non GvG guild it's not that easy so I still think the Capitol is a good stepping stone.

Thank you all for your comments. :)

I can't tell you what makes the game fun for you, and if you like the Capitol's looks and you want to believe it's a good idea, then go for it.

In terms of efficient game play, it's a fool's errand. There's always a better solution from purely that perspective. That doesn't mean you should tear it down if you like it, and it makes your city more pleasing to you. I'm just saying if you're trying to maximize the potential of your city, it's got no place in it. But, that's not really the point of the game, is it? It's to have fun, so ultimately, it's a personal decision. But, don't kid yourself into thinking it's a good idea outside of that context, because it just isn't.

DeletedUser10019

If you're gonna advance to further ages, Capitol is absolutely useless. A single regular housing building from Future gives thousands of population. With a useless active (collected) bonus, I'm totally against Capitol. I had one, and levelled it to 7. Then deleted it, one of the best decisions I made in the game. Never built a house since Colonial other than quest requirements, only to delete them in seconds. Nobody should have houses after Industrial if you ask me. Save for aesthetic reasns. If you put landscaping before eficiency, stop reading the forum and go get some decorations :D
If it's population you're after, Habitat has the best rates, but you can always get Inno to higher levels as well. I prefer a very high level Inno over any other population GB.

DeletedUser26965

Thing is with comparisons like this it can also be a matter of if you want more population in a shorter amount of time with a GB that's potentially easier to get but at the same time use FP's on a building you know will lose out to normal housing eventually and also where those FP's could have better been spent on a longer lasting pop GB like Innovation Tower. In that sense Capitol has a limited lifespan, useful for a while but eventually useless.

DeletedUser34910

I am in IA and I have Oracle, Zeus, TOB, LoA, COA, ToR and OBs. I am one BP away from getting my Capitol and 2 from getting my CDM, and I plan to build my CDM first. I am thinking so early in the game the Capitol would work well for me, despite possibly getting rid of it later. I am not in a spot to save FPs right now to trade for Inno Tower goods or anything like that. Thoughts?

Graviton

I am in IA and I have Oracle, Zeus, TOB, LoA, COA, ToR and OBs. I am one BP away from getting my Capitol and 2 from getting my CDM, and I plan to build my CDM first. I am thinking so early in the game the Capitol would work well for me, despite possibly getting rid of it later. I am not in a spot to save FPs right now to trade for Inno Tower goods or anything like that. Thoughts?

That's how I've been doing it: plant the Capitol when you get it, level it to the point that you can delete your ToB. When you get the Inno Tower, then scrap the Capitol.

Salsuero

I'll be keeping my Capitol, Tower of Babel, Oracle of Delphi, and every other "useless" GB that I build until the end of the game. I build these things and enjoy looking at them. Who cares if they're a little less efficient. There's no way to win this game!

Ta 152H

Why would you throw all those FPs on a Capitol, knowing you're going to delete it. Better to spend that on the Inno goods, put that up, and use the FP you were going to throw away on the Capitol on the Inno, which will slowly repay them.

But, I'm not a fan of spending a lot of FPs on something, only to delete it. It doesn't make sense to me on any level.

I also wouldn't delete a ToB, since it's worthier part is the goods it gives, and it gives the best goods per FP after L10, of any goods buildings (they all give one, but Babel requires the fewest forge points to level up).

DeletedUser34910

Why would you throw all those FPs on a Capitol, knowing you're going to delete it. Better to spend that on the Inno goods, put that up, and use the FP you were going to throw away on the Capitol on the Inno, which will slowly repay them.

But, I'm not a fan of spending a lot of FPs on something, only to delete it. It doesn't make sense to me on any level.

I also wouldn't delete a ToB, since it's worthier part is the goods it gives, and it gives the best goods per FP after L10, of any goods buildings (they all give one, but Babel requires the fewest forge points to level up).

I see what you're saying about wasting FPs on the capitol, but I got all of my BPs in a chain thread while leveling my Zeus up so I got back what I spent on them. Kind of irrelevant now as I have 1 BP left to get it lol. I think I only spent about 250 FPs on the capitol BPs overall (which were in turn put on my Zeus).

My resources to even try for Inno BPs are very limited right now, also. I don't have many high level friends yet and only a handful of people in my guild have one, and are not actively leveling it so I'd have to put in a majority of FPs on theirs to level it myself with no return.