• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Keep Capitol or Not?

DeletedUser32973

I got it to save space on supplies buildings while also providing population. It now only serves as eye candy, but not when I originally built it. I was in EMA at that point.

Ah I forgot that stuff like the Capitol's supply production could be useful at certain stages for some play styles. I have the bad habit of ignoring secondary affects unless they're FP or something XD. I still wouldn't ever build it (barring aesthetics) unless it's a newer server and Inno is much much harder to get. To each his own.

I'm considering starting a new world just to make a pretty city...building a city with only the best and most efficient structures ends up somewhat boring occasionally.

Oh, after that you can even teach people in OF how to do defense. Hurry up and get there.

Eh, anyone can race through the tech. It doesn't necessarily mean they're experienced or good players. I wouldn't simply judge a camper based on what age they're in. Acquiring knowledge of future ages and the game as a whole doesn't necessarily mean you have to have researched all the tech.

DeletedUser30900

Ah I forgot that stuff like the Capitol's supply production could be useful at certain stages for some play styles. I have the bad habit of ignoring secondary affects unless they're FP or something XD. I still wouldn't ever build it (barring aesthetics) unless it's a newer server and Inno is much much harder to get. To each his own.

I'm considering starting a new world just to make a pretty city...building a city with only the best and most efficient structures ends up somewhat boring occasionally.

Eh, anyone can race through the tech. It doesn't necessarily mean they're experienced or good players. I wouldn't simply judge a camper based on what age they're in. Acquiring knowledge of future ages and the game as a whole doesn't necessarily mean you have to have researched all the tech.
Let’s say you are right about anyone can race through the tech. Knowing how the units at high eras work requires practice, anything theoretically strong can be defeated easily in reality and just read wiki stats don’t really show you how to use units most effectively. Same goes with city design and GB selection. Unless you reach the end of the tech or close to it, you have a big chance to misjudge buildings and GBs.

DeletedUser32973

Let’s say you are right about anyone can race through the tech. Knowing how the units at high eras work requires practice, anything theoretically strong can be defeated easily in reality and just read wiki stats don’t really show you how to use units most effectively. Same goes with city design and GB selection. Unless you reach the end of the tech or close to it, you have a big chance to misjudge buildings and GBs.

Of course first hand experience is one of the best teachers. But you don't just pick up info from the wiki either. You're picking it up from people in your guilds, this forum, etc. I think we have enough sources of information that any player in any age can have a valid opinion regardless of the circumstances. If we didn't there wouldn't be as many campers as there are imo.

In any case, certainly an early age player wouldn't have the tactical knowledge an advanced age player would have in later fights. However, I don't think it's a stretch that an early age player could have the necessary strategic knowledge in preparing for that later era's general combat.

DeletedUser30900

Of course first hand experience is one of the best teachers. But you don't just pick up info from the wiki either. You're picking it up from people in your guilds, this forum, etc. I think we have enough sources of information that any player in any age can have a valid opinion regardless of the circumstances. If we didn't there wouldn't be as many campers as there are imo.

In any case, certainly an early age player wouldn't have the tactical knowledge an advanced age player would have in later fights. However, I don't think it's a stretch that an early age player could have the necessary strategic knowledge in preparing for that later era's general combat.
We clearly not discussing the same thing so i will just leave it

Salsuero

Oh, after that you can even teach people in OF how to do defense. Hurry up and get there.

I sure can... because you don't have to actually do something to be able to understand how it works. Scientists prove that all the time. But keep up your attacks. You're making me look so bad.

We clearly not discussing the same thing so i will just leave it

You're not "discussing" anything. You're just berating a player for being in a lower age because you think it's impossible for someone who hasn't advanced to actually have valuable input. Good luck with your empire.

Ta 152H

I sure can... because you don't have to actually do something to be able to understand how it works. Scientists prove that all the time. But keep up your attacks. You're making me look so bad.

You're not "discussing" anything. You're just berating a player for being in a lower age because you think it's impossible for someone who hasn't advanced to actually have valuable input. Good luck with your empire.

It's not binary, it's some of both.

Someone who's used units in an age has an insight into them that someone who's never used them can't have. I've looked at units an age ahead, or two, and often thought of how I'd use them. Practical experience often modifies expectations, because even if a unit behaves a certain way and you see the stats, it's not in a broad context of everything else that goes on, so isn't quite the same. For example, if you haven't actually fought in PE, and experienced the different terrains and such, you'll never have as complete an understanding as someone who has.

But then, I knew the AO was good long before I had it. I knew RFC would be really good units, even before I had them (I didn't realize quite HOW good though). So, it's in-between. You can make some judgments, but they're obviously not going to be as credible or useful as if you'd experienced those ages.

It's also really important not to trust what others say blindly. I've learned to listen, but not believe everything people say. I was told by so many not to build Hagia. I was told horses suck in every age. I was told mobile artillery was useless. I was told paratroopers always suck. I was told AO was OK, but not dramatically powerful. I was told SBC and DC weren't needed for defense, and it's better to use defensive pieces like watchfires. There are many more, but you get the point.

All are pretty commonly stated, at least from what I've experienced, and all are wrong. That's not to say the reverse is always true (paratroopers are only useful in specific situations), but it's also important to not just believe stuff without verifying it, because these "facts" take on a life of their own if they aren't challenged.

DeletedUser30900

You're just berating a player for being in a lower age because you think it's impossible for someone who hasn't advanced to actually have valuable input. Good luck with your empire.
I never said you can’t have valuable input, just not about GB and special buildings and defense strategy for higher ages... anything you never experienced. But since you still keeping that capital in your city, the chance of valueable input is quite small

DawnLight the Just

I had the Capitol in my first world and deleted it to make room for the Inno Tower. In my subsequent worlds, I went straight for the Inno Tower. Had to trade up for goods, but it was worth it and that meant I didn't waste my goods or anyone else's FPs.

Czari

I've always wanted to create a pretty city as well - one that actually looks like a city instead of random buildings thrown together or a sea of SoK's, etc. I'm paring down the number of worlds I play so am in the process of doing this with one of my worlds. :)

In my experience, people who race through tech eventually hit a wall when they don't have...anything...they need.

DeletedUser29623

I've always wanted to create a pretty city as well - one that actually looks like a city instead of random buildings thrown together or a sea of SoK's, etc. I'm paring down the number of worlds I play so am in the process of doing this with one of my worlds. :)

I hope you will post images of it! And I wish there were more such posts in the forums instead of this incessant bickering.

Czari

I hope you will post images of it! And I wish there were more such posts in the forums instead of this incessant bickering.

I wouldn't have thought of posting images...thank you for the idea, Laura. And I agree re: the bickering!