• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

"Lag" and Things You Can Do About It

DeletedUser26965

First, read about "Lag"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-get-rid-of-lag-guide#1

Then:

1) Restart computer

2) Get your computer specs and save them on a notepad

CPU:
GPU:
RAM:
Antivirus:
System Type:
Storage:
Browser:
Internet speed) Ping: Download Speed: Upload Speed:
http://www.speedtest.net/

(Here's Mine)
CPU: Intel i7 920
GPU: nvidia Geforce 9800 gt
RAM: 6gb
Antivirus: Windows Defender
System Type: 64bit
Storage: 104 GB free hdd
Browser: Google Chrome
Internet speed: Ping: (See Below) 27 Mbps down, 4 Mbps up

3) Open Task Manager, go to the Performance Tab and watch all the graphs; CPU, Memory, Disk and Ethernet. If any of them are really high then resolve the issue.

4)
Find where the server ip is and do a tracert in cmd prompt and get ping times (below/around 100 is good, the lower the better)
u0PfVny.jpg

Don't use Wi-Fi
Clear Cache
Clear Cookies
Don't have anything else running: programs, other tabs open, etc.
Disable Anti-virus, firewalls etc. (temporarily to see if it's causing the issue)
Make sure you computer is up to date
Make sure your drivers are up to date
Make sure your plugins are up to date (Chrome auto updates Adobe Flash but check anyway)

5) Restart computer
6) Before you open FoE first open Task Manager, go to the Performance Tab and watch all the graphs; CPU, Memory, Disk and Ethernet.
7) Start playing FoE
8) Go to game settings and turn off all animations
9) Go to the Performance Tab and watch all the graphs; CPU, Memory, Disk and Ethernet and see if any are high
10) Play GvG then Go to the Performance Tab and watch all the graphs; CPU, Memory, Disk and Ethernet, and see if any are high and write down what if anything was high and percentage such as "CPU 100%"

Make sure Hardware Acceleration is working
11) Get a GPU monitor such as http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
12) Right Click on your FoE window, go to Settings and disable Hardware Acceleration and Reload FoE
13) Check GPU utilization in monitor and write down percentage (mine is around 3%)
14) Reenable Hardware Acceleration, Reload FoE and check GPU utilization in monitor and write down percentage (mine is now around 15%, confirmed working)

15) I've noticed that sometimes when I'm actively involved in doing something in-game and something else happens such as; I get a friend request or someone accepts my friend request or a Great Building I was invested in completes, the game gets really wonky. If you find lag or lock-up happening refresh your browser and check if something occurred like I mentioned, then you'll know why you got that specific lag problem.

16) Close the Chat Box
17) Close the Neighbor/Guild/Friend Bar
18) Check to see if using full screen is a problem.
19) Try this Flash test (not sure how accurate it is http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/167923.aspx
20) Try different browsers
21) Try different computers
22) Event History Window = Lag (This has been fixed)

Performance Example (note how CPU and RAM increase with city size)
tNtlH0y.jpg

(Note CPU and Ethernet)
34bTF2i.jpg

Rarely I get lock-up with no performance issues when I load a replacement army and have to refresh the browser. When I check the sector after refreshing I see the troops were loaded.
yAxlHv2.jpg

If anyone has anymore to add to help please do so in the comments.

Update: Inno has announced they will be switching to HTML5 in 2018. This does not require any change on your end but clearly will have an effect of the game performance hopefully in a positive way.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8420

How about all these guilds limit the number of "never-ending" threads. It might seem like its nothing but you add up...the growing number of these lists, all the players that have the messages sitting in their inboxes, times all the days that are listed in the messages, the number of messages within them, times all the names on the addressees, times all the guilds using these and times all the worlds....and that takes a heck of a lot of memory from the servers.

DeletedUser26965

that takes a heck of a lot of memory from the servers.
As I addressed on your post about this my speculation is I highly doubt that would cause much lag as it's only text and avatars. The server hosting company Inno uses in the U.S. looks good to me so I'm fairly certain their servers can handle requests for text and avatars. Also the messages don't go back very far.

DeletedUser26579

How about all these guilds limit the number of "never-ending" threads. It might seem like its nothing but you add up...the growing number of these lists, all the players that have the messages sitting in their inboxes, times all the days that are listed in the messages, the number of messages within them, times all the names on the addressees, times all the guilds using these and times all the worlds....and that takes a heck of a lot of memory from the servers.

A reasonable caching and archive system should be able to only serve the most recent messages, with the older messages available upon request. It really shouldn't be a problem.

Personally, I see the problem as being between Flash and Windows -- all flash programs of mine degrade over time.

DeletedUser26154

How about all these

Trying to loophole your way around Capslocks with smaller-case letters in a larger font fools no one, Cassaundrea.

images (2).jpg

Capslock is Capslock no matter how frilly the stockings are.

-Athena-

While I appreciate the post and have done all of the above to reduce lag without much consistent success, I think a more apt post would be...
"Lag" and Things InnoGames can do about it
1. Throw some of those profits back into the game and upgrade the servers so they aren't always crashing like is happening now and last week.
2. Stop flooding us with events every couple of weeks. It makes the lag worse. One every 3 months was fine.
3. Limit the number of people on a world and delete inactive accounts sooner....6000+ pages of players in a world is nuts...half of them inactive.
4. Stop adding side games...Tavern and Treasure Quest...the latter needs to go. And the badges in Beta...do not let them come here. We are not 8 year olds.
5. Adding more to GE is a recipe for disaster. It's already having problems like GvG now with lag and crashing and the 4th level isn't even here yet.
That's just a start...

DeletedUser26154

3. Limit the number of people on a world and delete inactive accounts sooner....6000+ pages of players in a world is nuts...half of them inactive.

Good point.

4. Stop adding side games...Tavern

As much as I like the Tavern, I think it's a major source of in-game lag.
As to removing it? I'm not qualified to opine in one direction or another.
It's boosts can be very beneficial at the right times.

5. Adding more to GE is a recipe for disaster.

I don't think adding a 4th level is a good idea.
I think making the existing 3 levels longer with more encounters is a very good idea.

lemonwedgie

DeletedUser26965

You want me to do what now? Seriously, can't I just play this game, like I play ALL other games ... you know, without LAG. I appreciate your efforts but thats like Inno saying 'Its not me, its you' .... and I am going lightly on you as you have an avatar of Mark W ... ;)
Do you often go out of your way to try to argue against people who offer help? Strange way to go through life. Why is it there are some people who experience a negative in life automatically think it's external? Then with apparent hubris follow that up with "it can't be me"? Also why make it personal? This is even more bizarre, I mean it's computing not ones soul we're talking about here but some behave as though it were, like they're on trial or something. In contrast there are others who when experiencing computer issues will automatically think the issue could be anything. My list above addresses only some of that. Then they simply work the problem with no "I" or "they" involved.

lemonwedgie

Do you often go out of your way to try to argue against people who offer help? Strange way to go through life. Why is it there are some people who experience a negative in life automatically think it's external? Then with apparent hubris follow that up with "it can't be me"? Also why make it personal? This is even more bizarre, I mean it's computing not ones soul we're talking about here but some behave as though it were, like they're on trial or something. In contrast there are others who when experiencing computer issues will automatically think the issue could be anything. My list above addresses only some of that. Then they simply work the problem with no "I" or "they" involved.

Lol wow you took that a little heavy ... nope I do not go out of my way to try and argue against people so calm down, I was being a bit sarky granted but not going out of my way to argue ... I go out of my way to buy shoes.

I have been here for almost 5 years so forgive me that I think Inno should fix their bloody game. I have tried to GvG on several different computers one being a high spec gaming computer - its an Inno problem. I am actually rather sorry that you spent your precious time trying to help others when it isn't your problem. Its not our problem. Its Inno's problem. Sorry ... let me say that again ... its an Inno problem.

Darkbox

The "it can't be me" attitude often is a result of how you are being treated/handled by people. Have you ever called tech support after doing your basic troubleshooting and determined through a "tracert" that packets get lost after the 11th hop and they ask you to restart your computer?

Following your recommendation and just because you seem to have put in some time and efforts, here is my config, now tell me why is it the ONLY game I have lag issues with? GvG lag ONLY after calculation (when there more players online), a clear indication of server overload? Some people reported issue with GE, can't confirm, because I only play that nonsense to meet guild requirements.

CPU: Intel i7-4790
GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti
RAM: 64 GB DDR4
Antivirus: Defender
System Type: 64 Bits
Storage: Samsung Evo 850 Evo 500GB SSD
Browser: You name it. Someone from their support dared said I should try Yandex.
Internet speed: Download 135Mb/s and Upload: 46.56Mb/s

DeletedUser28503

You guys should check out my post about gvg and lag. I did not put everything in it and tried to keep it non technical as I could.
In short you can test this yourself. If you have a army of over 200 units its around this number its been so long ago now I have no clue if its still the same or not. Switch your filter from all units to only attached units as its usually a lot less. Then do your gvg action like siege or attack or load defense. Its a extra step but can almost guarantee it will work every time if its not a issue on your side. The only report I have seen where this doesn't work is if you have over 8k units and something doesn't work in doing this. Anyhow give it a try and you will see its not just on your side causing the issue.

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/gvg-game-freezes-and-why.16624/

Also very nice post Joe I really do appreciate all the time and energy you spend in your posts and trying to help others here. Keep it up

DeletedUser27049

Try using Chrome. I had trouble running the game on IE and Firefox. I'm suspecting there's a problem with Flash leaking with those two because anything I run using flash starts to degrade over time and gets laggy/choppy. Sometimes the screen locks up for several seconds before it resumes. I don't have that problem with Chrome. Go figure.

Oh, I forgot to mention I am also running adblock and flashblock on all 3. Maybe the flashblock addon has issues with IE and Firefox. Not sure.

DeletedUser32439

my tracert hops get up to 297 ms...so what does that means and can i get it below 100 ??

DeletedUser8428

Try using Chrome. I had trouble running the game on IE and Firefox. I'm suspecting there's a problem with Flash leaking with those two because anything I run using flash starts to degrade over time and gets laggy/choppy. Sometimes the screen locks up for several seconds before it resumes. I don't have that problem with Chrome. Go figure.

Oh, I forgot to mention I am also running adblock and flashblock on all 3. Maybe the flashblock addon has issues with IE and Firefox. Not sure.
I get browser locks with Chrome. Intermittent - Happens if I open a second tab to run this forum while the game is still running. When I close the forum and return to the game in the original browser window, game is stalled.

DeletedUser26120

A good thing to mention is that if you are running windows, then switching over to Linux Mint xfce will be an instant boost for your computer. Windows is a resource hog.

The interface is very similar to windows 7 so it's not a painful move. Additionally it's a simple matter to install it on a small partition of your hard drive so you can try it out without erasing windows. Google it (linux mint xfce alongside windows).

You'll also have improved security - windows viruses/malware cannot affect linux and linux gets more frequent security updates.