• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

LeatherandLace Travel Blog - Not all who wander are lost

• Thread starter DeletedUser13231
  • Start date

DeletedUser13231

LeatherandLace Travel Blog - Not all who wander are lost.

Jerusalem141_zpsbb3ba867.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I will be journeying again to Israel soon for another short Christian pilgrimage.

And then will be going on another Christian pilgrimage adventure in March 2015 to walk the 500 mile Camino De Santiago trail across the Pyrenees beginning in St Jean France and ending at Santiago de Compostela Spain. Santiago de Compostela is where St James is said to be entombed.

Adding my travel thoughts (aka blog) in this thread mostly for myself but for others who might be interested as well. And as a side note my comma key - forward slash key - and question mark keys do not work on my laptop. A coffee spill fried them. So no need to criticize if my sentences seem to not be punctually accurate..lol. When there is accurate punctuation that means I am on my Netbook..which I normally do not use except when traveling.

I am almost ready to go. The trip starts at the end of this month and I won't return until the 2nd week of November. I've been looking forward to this pre-booked adventure for months and here it is only a few weeks away. The days have flown by since I was laid off from my job Sept 24th and have also had to pack up my apartment and downsize even further to move and for mobility once I find another job. Sorting and separating that which goes into boxes and that which goes into my suitcase and backpack.

It will take 2 days to get to Tel Aviv Israel with a short layover in Zurich Switzerland. The layover is long enough for me to taxi over to Tolochenaz in-between flights to where Audrey Hepburn was laid to rest so many years ago. I would like to pay my respects to this wonderful actress and former UNICEF ambassador. She touched the lives of so many with her grace - beauty - and charitable generosity.

Once in Israel I will be staying in Jerusalem within walking distance from the old city. I've been to Israel before but not for nearly as long and wasn't able to visit as many sites as this time around. T

his time some of the sites I will be visiting besides the old city are:

The Church of the Annunciation
The Grotto of the Annunciation (where the Virgin Mary was annunciated)
The Church of Archangel St Gabriel - in Nazareth
The Synagogue Church (where Jesus preached)
Mary's well (the Church of St Gabriel - near the fountain of Nazareth - where the angel appeared to Mary)
The Church of the Visitation aka The Church of the Magnificant - in Jerusalem
Church of St John the Baptist (built on the site where it is believed John the Baptist was born)
Bethlehem:
Church of the Nativity (built on the site believed to be where Jesus was born)

Mt of Olives
Shepherd's Field (where an Angel of the Lord appeared to announce the coming of the Christ child Jesus)
Hebron (where Abraham's son Isaac was born and where David was proclaimed King of Israel. King David made it the capital for 7 yrs and 6 months and reigned there. It is one of the oldest town's in Israel):
The Cave of Machpelah in Hebron (where the tombs and bodies of Sarah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Leah are located) - located beneath Harem el-Khalil

The Jordan River (to be rebaptized):
Near to the Greek Orthodox Church Jerasimos

Jericho - at the base of the Mount of Temptation
David's Spring - in Ein Gedi
Capernaum
Tiberias - near the Sea of Galilee
Mount of the Beatitudes - located near Tabgha - (where Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount)
Benedictine Church of the Multiplication of the Loaves and Fishes - also in Tabgha (where the miracle occurred)
The Church of the Primacy - in Tabgha - (where Jesus told Peter to.. feed my lambs..tend my sheep)
Sebaste - Samaria - ruins of the ancient Roman church of St John the Baptist
Jacob's well - Samaria - (where Jesus said to a Samarian woman - get me a drink)
Bethany - near the Mount of Olives - Church of Lazareth - (Lazareth lived in Bethany with his family, it is here where he was raised from the dead by Jesus)
The Armenian Church of St James (St John's brother and one of the Apostles)
The Dead Sea

These places are in addition to the ones in the old city:

Church of the Holy Sepulcher
Room of the Last Supper (yes it still exists)
the Garden Tomb
King David's tomb
Mount Moriah
the Western Wall

and the many ancient vendor stalls where one can shop and eat just as people did in Jesus' day

Along the way my backpack will contain - among other things - my trusty Netbook that accompanies me whilst traveling will be my journaling means and to store and upload photos and video where I can and update my blogging thread(s).

Internet isn't as easily accessible in Israel as it is in the U.S. Last time I was there the hotel only had one internet kiosk in its lobby for guests to use. To use it cost $1.50 per minute of online usage and you had to either feed it with dollar bills like a slot machine or swipe a credit card. That was four years ago and back then I was married and my ex stayed home. To send him a quick email ended up costing around $5...and that was with lightening typing skills! Oh and not to mention whenever someone uses the kiosk curious bystanders stand right behind you...close enough for you to feel their breath on your neck...to read every word you type. People from all over the world come to Israel on either pilgrimage or what is called 'Aliyah' so you never know what country the nosey individuals are from without speaking to them. And I don't mean 'nosey' in a bad way. Some of these people have never even seen internet and to them they are amazed by it.

At any rate - updating my thread during my trip may or may not happen due to this. It's going to depend on whether or not Israel has progressed forward enough over the past four years to include free wifi in their hotel amenities. Updating might have to wait until I get back or on the way back.

Until next update...

LeatherandLace

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13231

Hello fellow FOE gamers
Was up all night last night unable to sleep from having so much to do and I can't stop thinking about Israel.

Backpack is ready to go. I managed to get everything in it that'll be needed with room to spare.

outlet converter - never go to a foreign country without one!

mini 1 liter stainless steel electric kettle to boil water for coffee - tea - oatmeal - have to have my caffeine and breakfast on the days I have to leave the hotel before the restaurant opens in the a.m.

26 oz stainless steel thermos - for some extra caffeine to carry along on day excursions

Steripen - for sterilizing water - awesome little invention - brought with me the last time I went - works like a charm

instant coffee - tea - oatmeal packets - protein bars

plastic spoons

hand sanitizer - a must

packet of flushable moist towelettes - should there be no toilet paper in the ladies room

small shamwow - never hurts to have something to soak up spills or to dry off with should the need arise

Mini Dell Netbook with charger - at 3 lbs and small enough to fit in a purse it's better than a tablet in my humble opinion...gotta have a keyboard

mini external hard drive - for storing the oodles of pics taken

mini pocket size camera - this little gem is a micro-mini camera..at 2" across and 1.5" tall it takes hi-res pics comparative to large expensive cameras. It even has a view screen on its back like the big ones. Will also have my big Canon camera with me in my camera bag but this little mini one is great for taking pics without being totally obvious about it

night vision specific mini dual camera and video recorder - can film and snap pics in pitch blackness with no light source around.
daytime mini camcorder

mini scoping tripod

mini voice activated digital voice recorder - never hurts to have one in a pocket to record conversations with the locals whilst in a foreign country to 'cya'.

compass - too far southwest is definitely a direction I don't want to go in Israel. Helps to have a compass since you never know if your taxi driver is pro-American or not. Last time I went to Israel one of my cab drivers dumped me out of the taxi 2 miles from my destination right after he learned I'm American and told me to walk the rest of the way. Another one took me the long way around through the desert to my destination...what should've been a 5 minute ride turned into almost an hour ride. I had no idea where we were and no compass on me. I would've been toast trying to find my way back if he had done the same thing as the other. Not making the same mistake twice!

extra batteries
leather sandals
scarf
cute little black newsboy style hat
leather gloves - the early mornings can get chilly in the fall over there.
mini bible
3 pens
mini notepad

That about covers it for packing my backpack as a carry on. My rolling duffle is stuffed with clothes and also done and ready to go. I'm all set!
Been working on my other travel plans for spring of next year as well. The Camino de Santiago is going to be a challenge. Just getting to the starting point will be a feat. It requires a plane - a train - and a bus ride to get to St Jean Pied du Port where the walk begins. I've calculated the walk alone will take me at least 50 days...almost two months. Maybe longer. It's 500 miles to Santiago de Compostela..at 10 miles per day optimum...or less depending on how things go. Daytime shouldn't be bad weather-wise but the night temps will dip into the low 40s in March with slightly warmer temps in April. More about that later. Feeling the drag from being up all night so heading back to bed for now.

LeatherandLace

DeletedUser13231

Wanted to share some more pics from my last overseas trip I went on in 2010.

My trip in October of 2010 I went to Rome Italy...Athens Greece..Patmos Island Greece...Eden Beach Resort in Anavysoss Greece...Istanbul Turkey...Israel...and Amsterdam Holland.

The pics below were taken by me on Patmos Island Greece. The island is home to the Cave of the Apocolypse where the biblical book of Revelation was written by St John the Divine in a cave during his exile from Rome in about 93 A.D. It is also home to St Johns Monastary....a medevil fortress that sits on the highest hill on the 3 square mile island. It houses the Ecclesiastical Museum which contains some of the oldest Christian relics known to be in existence including the actual skull of St Thomas...one of the 12 Apostles of Jesus Christ.
A convent surrounds the cave of Apocolypse and can be seen halfway up the hillside.
The first pic was taken from my room terrace. The second pic I took from an overlook on my walk to St Johns Monastary

098.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

107.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Beautiful place...I would love to go back and spend months there.

LeatherandLace

DeletedUser13231

I have some people asking me about the Room of the Last Supper in Old Jerusalem...the actual room where Jesus ate his last meal before his crucifixion. The room still exists in the old city and can be visited by anyone. It's an amazing experience standing in the same place where Christ gave us the Eucherist. Here are some pictures I took of it....

This one below was taken of the exterior while approaching the building that houses it...
Jerusalem183.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This next one is of the statue of King David that stand just outside the entrance to the Room of the Last Supper in the courtyard

Jerusalem188.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Below is entering into the Room of the Last Supper itself

Jerusalem190.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This one below was taken just inside the Room of the Last Supper looking to the left from the entrace doorway. You can see the conclave that Leonardo Da Vinci included in his painting just behind the woman in blue who is leaning against it...

Jerusalem192.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Below was taken looking to the other side of the room. I don't know who the lady tourist is standing next to the wall having her picture taken by whoever she was with.

Jerusalem193.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not much has changed of the room since Jesus' day except the decor and some Byzantine period architectural additions and the modern furniture placed in it for the benefit of visitors. The floor is unchanged..it is the same stone floor Jesus walked on. Much of the walls remain the same. The building is of stone and stone lasts a very very very long time.

My first time in the Room of the Last Supper my knees went weak and I almost dropped to the floor in complete reverence..as like what happened to me at most of the holy sites I visited..my ability to visit given through nothing but the grace of God.

LeatherandLace

DeletedUser13231

I was unable to update my travel blog thread throughout my trip to Israel. My hotel..the Leonardo Jerusalem Hotel...had free wifi but it was slow internet speed and did not allow uploading of anything. I am now back home in the states and although I thoroughly enjoyed my adventure (and at times what an adventure it was!!) I am whole heartedly glad to be back on U.S. soil!!

Israel and the West Bank are rapidly changing from what I saw this time as compared to 4 years ago during my first trip. I think this trip was my final one to that area. The changes are happening so quickly that I doubt it will even be recognizable in 5-10 years from what it once was...the holiest place on earth. It is now a constant war zone in areas that are continually under construction. I will save the politics...this forum is no place to hear the good - the bad - and the ugly...aka politics. Instead I will just share my photos and report in my blog my own personal experiences and leave out my opinions.

Day 1: I arrived on Saturday afternoon to the hotel in Jerusalem completely exhausted from 2 days of travel. Checked in and went right to sleep.

Day 2: Sunday: Experienced an extreme bout of jet lag so slept most of the day. It was hard to get out of bed. I didn't mind though as most places in West Jerusalem are closed on Sunday including the old city in East Jerusalem. I did manage to have dinner in the hotel restaurant...the cost of which has risen significantly over the course of 4 yrs. What used to be free (included in the room cost) is now 150 sheckels...or the equivalent of about $50. It is an all you can eat buffet but still...very expensive for what you get. The cost doesn't include drinks other than water. A soda or juice or coffee or alcoholic beverage runs you about $7 each for one...no free refills.

Monday: It was off to Bethlehem and Jericho. The day trip began at 0700 with my guide picking me up at the hotel with a small shuttle bus that had 3 other pilgrims on it. Another American..a French guy..and a Canadian lady. We headed straight for the security checkpoint at the wall that separates West Jerusalem from East Jerusalem (the West Bank). After parking in the parking lot just outside the wall we had to walk through the security to the other side where another shuttle bus awaited us. Driving to the other side is not allow at this particular checkpoint...it has to be crossed on foot. See pics below:
Allvacationphotos2010and2014478_zpsc26b8571.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014479_zps9044773a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Once past the checkpoint the 2nd shuttle bus took us to the Church of the Nativity and the Milk Grotto and Shepherds Field.:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014483_zpseb4fadee.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014484_zpsb3748a44.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014489_zps17eebcd2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

The exterior of the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem Palestine (the Palestinians do not recognize Bethlehem as Israel..to them it is Palestine):

Allvacationphotos2010and2014505_zps1ff204d1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014506_zps8dabe85c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ancient mosiac tile floor unearthed inside the Church of the Nativity:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014511_zpsff4b14af.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ancient supporting columns inside the Church of the Nativity:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014512_zps73261ac6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A priest laying on the star inside of the shrine built on the site traditionally believed to be the site of Jesus Christ's birth (I couldn't get him to move so I could take a picture of the star without him in it):

Allvacationphotos2010and2014513_zps91f8e3cd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

Bethlehem from a distance:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014476_zps44338162.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The olive grove near Bethlehem where the harvest went unpicked this year:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014501_zpsfcb89633.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bethlehem city Square..to the right is the Bethlehem Peace Center..in the center is a mosque..and behind me and out of view when I took the pic is the Church of the Nativity:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014509_zps2323038f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Inside St Katherine's Cathedral - part of the Church of Nativity:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014516_zps83d634b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Exterior of St Katherines Cathedral:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014518_zps793b5531.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Another exterior of St Katherines:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014519_zps1df6bf46.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

After Bethlehem I headed to Jericho. Jericho is only a short half hour trip away along a road that is illegal for Israelis to travel. There are signs posted everywhere indicating this.

Pic of a Bedouin campsite along the road to Jericho:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014520_zps1d38196f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A Bedouin and his camel alongside the road to Jericho...I did not want to go for a camel ride although I was offered one by the kindly Bedouin. My newfound American friend in the photo did:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014523_zps93c7cce8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pic of the sign notifying of the dangers ahead and illegality for Israelis to travel the road to Jericho:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014524_zps51f82a78.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The exterior of the restaurant and gift shop in Jericho...the first stop to grab some lunch on their buffet for 80 sheckels..about $25...not including the cost of drinks.

Allvacationphotos2010and2014526_zpsb1bf744d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One of the many peacocks roaming the parking lot of the restaurant in Jericho...I kinda wondered if maybe peacock was the mystery meat on the buffet that sort of looked like chicken but not quite tasted like chicken.

Allvacationphotos2010and2014527_zps8262599f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

More peacocks outside of the restaurant...

Allvacationphotos2010and2014528_zps3429fcfe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This next photo turned out totally awesome. The sunlight was hitting the distant Jordanian mountains perfectly. Jericho is in the foreground and the sunlight hills ...or mountains..behind is the bordering country of Jordan:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014529_zps1f21235e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Mount of Temptation where Jesus Christ spent 40 days and 40 nights alone being tempted by Satan before being administered to by Angels:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014533_zpsfe450682.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

The following pics are of the ancient city of Jericho unearthed by archaeologists. Getting to the dig site is a short uphill walk from a parking lot area nearby.

Allvacationphotos2010and2014535_zpsd7393a3f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014536_zps520e6802.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014537_zps37183f37.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014538_zps08a46156.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014539_zps28168750.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014540_zps978c7f2b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014541_zps9500817e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014542_zpsf0205bb8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014543_zps1cd2a1af.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014544_zpsb0fcbca0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014545_zpsa65a650e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The ancient city of Jericho is located just beneath the Mount of Temptation.

- - - Updated - - -

The biblical Elisha's Spring is also located in Jericho. It is the spring where Jesus stopped to rest and drink from on his way to Bethlehem from Jordan.

Allvacationphotos2010and2014550_zpsf49ffba9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014551_zpsb499f14b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There is a fountain with potable water at the spring that everyone can drink from pictured below...I took the risk and drank from it..didn't get sick so it was safe :)

Allvacationphotos2010and2014552_zps4ca1b308.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

The Greek Orthodox Monastery built into the side of the Mount of Temptation in Jericho. It can be reached by tram..no need to climb to the top..

Allvacationphotos2010and2014554_zps647ffac4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014555_zpsb4449e60.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014556_zps2e6f4382.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

After Jericho on late Monday afternoon the guide dropped all of us off at our respective hotels at the end of the tour. It had been a full day of seeing two significant biblical places. I had already been to Bethlehem before but this was my first time in Jericho.

Bethlehem has changed quite a bit in the four yrs since I was last there. The Israeli 'Security Wall' has gotten longer and larger...it did not cut off Bethlehem before..now it does. There is massive Israeli new construction going on in Bethlehem and looks as though it has been for the past few years. Bethlehem has gotten larger. Funny thing is...most of the new construction buildings (apartment buildings mostly) are either vacant or were left half finished a couple years ago...apparent by the weather damage done over time to both the interior and exterior of the half finished construction. The other buildings newly constructed that are finished but vacant buildings make areas appear to be like ghost town neighborhoods...not a soul in sight and looks as though no one has ever lived there nor will ever live in them. Odd. This is the same in some of the other towns and villages I came across during my travels in both Israel and the West Bank. Why would they spend the time..money..and effort to build buildings that seem like their intentions were never to use them to begin with. I didn't ask any of the locals about it but I did get some pics of these buildings I speak of and will include them in the blog later.

Some travel tips for Bethlehem and Jericho:

Both are rough neighborhoods regardless of who you are...what your religion is (if any)...or where you hail from. Getting around either requires several shuttle bus switcheroos (which means the guide will drop you off at a spot where you changes buses and get on another one with a different guide...and you do this several times before you get to your destination...even when your destination is only a few miles away) if you don't go by taxi with a Palestinian driver. Either way you go it is advisable for you to keep the vehicle's curtains partially closed. All tour vehicles come with curtains in them to protect yourself from the view of the locals who might seek to do you harm. It's simply for your own security. In taxis it is advisable to scoot down a little in the back seat with the curtains blocking the view of you from passersby.

There are Palestinian taxi drivers everywhere throughout Israel and the West Bank who are more than willing to take you anywhere you want to go..be wary of them...haggle your price for the ride before you get in...but rest assured when you get a good driver he will keep you out of the high risk areas. Get his business card and use him often...he'll become your best friend while there and keep you safe.

If you use an Israeli taxi driver or tour guide you will be limited on the areas in which you can travel simply because as shown above some areas it is illegal for Israelis to go. In some cases Israeli drivers just choose not to go to certain areas...like the West Bank. And Israeli taxi drivers will not get out and walk with you at the sites acting as a personal guide either...they'll just drop you off and go on their merry way leaving you to have to fend for yourself on acquiring a ride back to your hotel. Palestinians will not leave you stranded like that...to do so is against their cultural beliefs.

Carry small bills with you...most drivers and vendors like restaurants and shops don't have the excess cash to give change for large denominations. The U.S. dollar is accepted everywhere over there..but odds are you will receive sheckels as change back.

When traveling to the Middle East bring your own powdered mixes to make into drinks when you get there and carry a thermos with you...you will save a ton of cash by doing this as drinks are very expensive. Seven US dollars for one cup of coffee is outrageous but that is what they charge over there. I brought powdered instant coffee (Maxwell House International Blends..Cafe France' flavor :) )and kept my thermos full. I also brought tea and packets of powdered Crystal Light drink mix.

Bring instant oatmeal packets as hotel restaurants are only open for a few hours a day and most markets are far from the hotels...too far to walk for an early morning snack. Protein bars are great too but I found that flavored oatmeal with the sugar already in them was more than satisfying to stave off hunger while also saving money.

Most restaurants gouge tourists. With the exception of a few hole in the wall street restaurants in the Old City of Jerusalem in the Muslim Quarter where you can find an awesome meal for around 40 scheckels...most others charge no less than 80 sheckels and up ($25 and up). Israelis are big on buffets...some Palestinians too...but you'll find the best deals in non-buffet restaurants where you can order off a menu.

Israel has recently gotten in on the high fashion - high dollar bandwagon by building their own version of Hollywood's Rodeo Drive in Jerusalem...it's called Mamilla Mall (unveiled in 2012) and it's near the old city not far from Jaffa Gate..complete with a street lined with restaurants willing to overcharge you. It's cheaper to eat inside the old city at the street vendor places.

Hotels have gotten very expensive in the past 4 years. A room that used to cost $75 is now double that price..$150..and the quality of that same room has not improved. Expect their 4 star hotels to not be any better than a 2 star (think Super 8 Motel) here in the states. My $150 Leonardo Jerusalem hotel room on the 7th floor was very basic and had it's own fair share of problems. Halfway into my stay the toilet stopped working and I couldn't get the hotel staff to come up and fix it. Imagine having to go the remaining week unable to flush! Thank goodness their toilets are in separate rooms (complete with it's own door) from the rest of the bathroom or the stench would've been unbearable..lol.

DeletedUser13231

Day 4 - Tuesday - November 4th 2014

Started out the morning early and took a taxi from the hotel to the Damascus Gate of the old city. The old city of Jerusalem has several gates..most go through either the Jaffa gate that is near the Christian Quarter or through the Damascus gate that enters the Muslim Quarter. The old city is divided into 4 quarters...the Christian Quarter...the Armenian Quarter...the Jewish Quarter...and the Muslim Quarter.

I wanted to start this day in the Muslim Quarter as it is where the Via Delarosa begins at St Anne's Cathedral near the eastern old city wall. The Via Delarosa is the path that Jesus carried his cross on his way to Calvary on the day of his crucifixion.

St Anne's Cathedral was built over a thousand years ago on the site where Jesus' mother Mary was born and where Mary's mother Anne lived. The original church built there was destroyed...another erected and it too was destroyed..until the church that is there now was built and has withstood the test of time for over a thousand years. The archaeological remains of St Anne's home and St Mary's birthplace...along with remnants of one of the original churches...have been unearthed and you can see them in the photos below. St Anne was Jesus' earthly grandmother :) The cathedral is amazing! If ever you go to Jerusalem this is one place that is a must to visit!! It is the perfect starting point along the Via Delarosa on the way to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

Allvacationphotos2010and2014585_zpsf8b7dd40.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014588_zps9ff81941.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014589_zpsc501cac3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Archaeological remains of St Anne's home and St Mary's birthplace:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014590_zps1c45cfbe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014591_zps7fcb3dbb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014592_zpsf185edd7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014593_zps38a24980.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In this one below you can see where the modern has been built atop the ancient...

Allvacationphotos2010and2014594_zps3c826cbc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014595_zps8a6b5459.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014596_zps2c4cb649.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014597_zps96e30356.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Day 4 - Tuesday - continued...

After St Anne's I walked the Via Delarosa toward the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. The path is narrow and is pretty much entirely an uphill walk along a long set of shallow stairs.

I got hungry along the way so ducked into a hole in the wall Muslim restaurant that had just opened for the day. The menu was affordable as the highest item cost on it was only 45 sheckels. I chose the lambchops for 40 sheckels along with some arab coffee spiced with cardamom. The food looked so good when it was presented to me by the very friendly waiter that I had to take a picture of it before diving in...I was so hungry!! The chops were cooked to perfection and the hummus and salad and fries were divine! :)

Allvacationphotos2010and2014613_zps776c6ebc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

After cleaning my plate and leaving only bare bones I tipped the waiter and cook generously. This is one restaurant that tour guides do not take tourists to. I was not with a tour guide while in the old city...I wanted to walk it alone to be free to do as I please..to eat where I wanted to eat..and to take in the sites at my own pace and stop where I wanted to stop. Tour guides (group tours or solo tours) keep rigid schedules and do not stop where you want them to stop...they go to only places on their schedule with specific designated restaurants..sites..and gift shops only. Unfortunately by doing this many of the restaurant and shops are bypassed...such as this one that I ate at. I was the only patron in the place that morning. I felt bad for the owner as his business was suffering due to not being on any tour guide's schedule.

So up the Via Delarosa I went...the shops now having opened as it was after 0900 in the morning..and winding my way through the many swarms of tourists that were there in tour groups..

Allvacationphotos2010and2014614_zps08989a88.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In these pictures you can see how narrow the path is...

Allvacationphotos2010and2014615_zpsc8209482.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014616_zpse1e4cbf1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

The Church of the Holy Sepulcher was built on the site of Calvary..the place where Jesus was crucified. There is a stone courtyard out front where I had to stop and rest from the long uphill walk along the Via Delarosa. These places are easy to find by the way...as all streets in the old city are clearly marked with signs that guide the way. A map really isn't necessary even though I brought one just in case. If you get lost it's no problem as there are plenty of people to ask who are willing to help you find your way. The old city isn't very big anyway...only about 1 square mile in its entirety). I had been here before so was somewhat already familiar with the layout. A tour guide in the old city really isn't necessary either..in my opinion it's better to explore it on one's own.

The exterior of and entrance to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014634_zpse55468eb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014635_zps24f4fbbd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014636_zpsb5a5eccc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014637_zpsee189070.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014638_zps05165ba8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just inside the Church of the Holy Sepulcher there is a shrine with a holy stone slab where people place objects to be blessed and made holy:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014639_zps7acff385.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looking up from the above shrine:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014640_zpsbce25057.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014641_zps4b59fce3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The last and final of the 14 stations of the cross...calvary...the shrine built on the site where Christ was crucified - the line was long...:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014642_zps8c82288a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The top of the shrine:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014643_zps41efa15f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The line to get close to it:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014644_zps8d5fb8df.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The worship area near the shrine inside the Church of the Holy Sepulcher:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014645_zps6aa1d9a9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gorgeous chandelier inside the worship area:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014646_zpsf57f0cd7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ornate part of the side of the shrine:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014647_zpsa23a1b01.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

After the Church of the Holy Sepulcher it was on to the Zion Gate to the Room of the Last Supper and King Davids tomb and Dormition Abbey. It is a short walk past St George's tower past the Jaffa Gate.

On my way I took a photo of a section of the ramparts along the wall of the old city:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014619_zps2d85f7a0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Along the path leading to the Zion Gate:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014620_zps9dbf2fcb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Once through the Zion Gate is the entrance to Dormition Abbey on the corner. Here you can go left or right. Left takes you to the Room of the Last Supper and King David's tomb....right takes you to Dormition Abbey. I went left.

Entrance to Dormition Abbey:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014622_zpse945f2b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Seneca...the building that houses the Room of the Last Supper above and David's tomb below. This building has survived over 2 thousand years of wars and battles that have raged in Jerusalem's history. It has been here since Jesus' time and is the place where he ate his last meal before he was crucified. The earlier pictures of it in this blog were taken in 2010 during my last visit. The photos of it below were taken last week during this year's visit. The building itself is..as always..unchanged. There are some notable differences in the interior decor since 4 years ago when I was there last. The Israelis have removed the benches and convenient furniture that used to be there for the pilgrims. Now...there is nowhere for anyone to sit and rest as it is all gone.

Allvacationphotos2010and2014623_zps41bce954.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Entrance leading into the room....the statue of King David is to the right (I had posted a pic of it earlier in this blog taken during my last visit) almost out of view but you can see part of it. The nose of the statue if you noticed from my earlier pic of it is broken off. The Palestinians keep breaking off the nose and the Israelis keep gluing it back on.

Allvacationphotos2010and2014624_zps7627abae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Inside the room:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014625_zps3dd071ab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014626_zpsdac12e05.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Entrance to King David's tomb:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014627_zps6977bcfe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014629_zps501acf67.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014630_zps2bbd1caf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Entering into the tomb itself:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014631_zps42ab5d44.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The actual tomb or sarcophagus of King David draped with a ceremonial blanket. Half of the tomb is on the men's side...the other half on the women's side. Men and women are not allowed to pray together so the area is divided with the tomb in the center..one half on one side and the other half on the other side.

Allvacationphotos2010and2014632_zpsc7dcd35f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

After King David's tomb I went back to the corner where the entrance to Dormition Abbey is and went to the right instead of left like earlier. I hadn't been down there before and wanted to explore that path.

I found the entrance to a cemetery at the end of it and another entrance to the Abbey church on the left side of the path:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014633_zps532a395b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

From there I turned around and went back through the Zion Gate into the old city for some shopping amongst the oodles of open air shops lining the streets throughout the quarters of the city.

I found one particular shop near the Christian Quarter whose owner specializes in hand crafted and designed quality jewelry at a reasonable price. I picked out a pair of silver earrings that have a Bedouin tribal design to them with semi-precious inlaid stones. For 252 sheckels (or $72 USD) to me they were a bargain...they are beautiful and unique! I also purchased a leather purse with 'Jerusalem' embossed in the leather for 150 sheckels (or $50 USD) that I really like...the color is a unique color I have not seen done in leather before.

One thing to know about shopping in the old city or anywhere in the West Bank...when it comes to prices haggle..haggle..haggle!! Don't settle for the first price the shopkeeper gives you!! Keep lowering the price you are willing to pay until you reach about 30-40 percent off or more..sometimes 50% off. He'll try to get you to buy more but I always say no and try to 'spread the wealth' by purchased one or two items at each shop I visit. I limited myself to small items..my trip wasn't about coming home with tons of souvenirs..my trip was more about my communion with God...the holiness of the places...the exploration...and the adventure.

As Emilio Estevez's character in the movie 'The Way' says to his father played by Martin Sheen..."You don't choose your life...you live one."

And so goes my travels....to live...truly live my life...not to choose it. :) Even if it means doing it solo..by myself...with God leading my way :)

After shopping I headed back to the hotel as it was getting late in the day and by this time I was getting tired. My feet were achey and the noise from the streets was getting annoying. The groups of tourists were so thick in the afternoon it was difficult to navigate the narrow streets so I headed for the Jaffa Gate to catch a taxi where there are several lined up waiting for those in need of one. My hotel was within walking distance..10 minutes or so by foot...but fatigue kept me from wanting to walk back on a route that is mostly uphill. A taxi from the Jaffa Gate to the Leonardo hotel is $20 USD or 60 sheckels. A bit pricey considering the short distance but when you're tired it's worth it!!

After getting back to the hotel it was time to rest. The next day was to start early at 0600 when my hired guide for the trip to north Israel was to pick me up at the hotel for an all day excursion to see Nazareth..Tiberias..Capernaum..the Sea of Galilee...and the Jordan river.

DeletedUser13231

Day 5 - Wednesday - Nov 5th

Woke up early to get cleaned up..have some oatmeal and coffee in my room from my rations...and to meet my guide down in the lobby for the day's trip up north.

My Palestinian guide was late with his shuttle bus that was to take those on the tour to Tel Aviv (a half hour drive from Jerusalem) to meet up with the Israeli guide who was to take us on another shuttle bus (another bus switcheroo) to Nazereth..Tiberias...Capernaum..the Sea of Galilee..and the Jordan River. This tour group was a little larger than the last and there were a couple people who had to be picked up at their hotels in Tel Aviv. One couple and an elderly man were late getting to the shuttle bus. The Israeli guide yelled at them and chewed them out for being late. I kid you not...he was very rude and mean!! He was this way during the entire day and boy did he rub me wrong...we got into it later on in the tour when he had got in my face and loudly told me "Don't touch me!" when my backpack accidentally brushed up against him. I'll spare on here what I said to him...it was an American version of where my backpack might end up the next time he spouted off to me like that. Here's a hint...it's somewhere where the sun doesn't shine...lol.

At any rate...there were several Americans on the bus..an Australian..a Scot..and a Brit.

Once everyone was on the bus and accounted for we headed to Nazareth. Many of the pictures I took en route had to be taken out of the bus window..the guide wouldn't make any extra stops.

We drove up along the coast of Israel heading north which to me seemed like the roundabout way to get to Nazareth but I wasn't driving so I had no say so in the route.

The ocean was to the left as we headed north:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014650_zps56e0003a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Eventually we passed Meggedo....the place where the bible prophecies where the end of the world will take place. It's a small hill not far from the road we were on. My guide would not stop as he declared it was not part of the tour. I was sitting directly behind the guide..aka bus driver...and couldn't help but make a few choice comments regarding his unwillingness to stop and let us experience such a significant historical site...I mean it's not like we hadn't traveled over 7000 miles or more to be there!!!! His behavior at the start of the tour had set a really bad tone for all of us and it didn't improve when he kept saying no to our simple requests.

I did manage to snap a quick pic of Meggedo as we rapidly drove by (he wouldn't even slow down to let me snap it). In the pic its the hill to the left:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014652_zps5b60b4ca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Day 5 continued...

So an hour or so later Nazareth finally came into view off in the distance to our left. My apologies for some of the less than ideal photos on this trip...it was a struggle just to get any pics en route with the way the guide drove.

Nazareth off in the distance atop the hill:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014654_zps9f932092.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Getting closer to Nazareth...part of it to the left:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014656_zps619d5525.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Another of Nazareth from a distance as we got closer:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014659_zps11394d7a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

For those who are unaware...all of the towns and villages in northern Israel are Arab residents only..there are no Jewish Israelis living in northern Israel. The guide wouldn't explain why but I can pretty much garner an educated guess as to why on my own.

DeletedUser13231

Day 5 continued...

Our first stop in Nazareth was to a souvenir shop that was on the guide's schedule. He didn't want us shopping anywhere but at that specific store. I went ahead and went to the shops next door and close by anyway and didn't spend any money at the one he wanted us to and I met back up with the group after they were done. A quick bathroom stop was in order too...it cost 5 sheckels to use the toilet.

Then we headed uphill along the busy narrow street on foot to the Basilica of the Annunciation and St Joseph's church. Pics of which are below:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014660_zpsfbce3bec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014664_zps3c114955.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014667_zps87527459.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014668_zpsb64f3e2c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014669_zps50cc9309.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

The guide didn't waste any time at either of these places and quickly headed us back to the bus to head to Tiberias. We weren't even allowed to attend Mass at either of the churches in Nazareth. Just a quick dip of the fingers in the Holy Water bowl stationed on the wall just inside the doors and to snap a few photos.

So off to Tiberias we went...passing Magdala on the way. Magdala was the original home village of Mary Magdalene and where it was most likely she was born. In the distance part of the Sea of Galilee can be seen:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014676_zpsb16ff39a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In Tiberias we came to the church built on the site where Jesus performed his miracle of the multiplication of the loaves of bread and fish. We were allowed to get out and walk around for a while here:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014678_zpsbc2df189.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ancient mosaic tile floor inside the church:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014679_zps6aa1d915.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The actual rock where it is believed Jesus set the baskets of loaves and fish on while performing his miracle:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014680_zpsd8de8bc5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

The guide then gathered us all up and back on the bus we went to head to Capernaum a short distance away.

Pic of the Sea of Galilee taken while en route:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014683_zps94042853.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Arriving in Capernaum at the gate into the tiny village along the Sea of Galilee:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014684_zps3976321b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014685_zpsa763cf60.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A statue that stands just inside the gate with the Sea of Galilee behind it:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014685_zpsa763cf60.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ancient archaeological remains of the original Capernaum from Jesus' day:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014687_zpsc40a0dc7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014688_zpscbf2dd92.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014690_zps081f1dfd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014691_zps9b5e86b1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014692_zps4b642af5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014693_zps8cf2798e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014694_zps7a9244d7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014695_zps9bad5cc7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After walking around the ruins of Capernaum I walked to the shore of the Sea of Galilee. It is so beautiful and serene there it was easy to imagine Jesus being there back in the day two thousand years ago while he was gathering his disciples...

Allvacationphotos2010and2014696_zps5de66119.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

On the opposite shore is Syria...barely seen in the distance through the haze of sunshine:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014697_zps447d24e2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Highest zoom of the opposite shore that my camera would go....Syria is easily seen now...

Allvacationphotos2010and2014698_zpsf89e30dd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In Capernaum there is also a church built on stilts over the archaeological dig site of the ruins of St Peter's house...where St Peter lived prior to becoming Jesus' disciple. The ruins are pictured below:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014700_zps2ce92a5b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014701_zps5e9cf1ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014702_zps875589e0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014703_zps9a7ab6af.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Day 5 continued...

The Golan Heights that border Israel to Syria on the opposite shore of the Sea of Galilee:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014704_zps061cdd2a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Another of the Golan Heights in the distance:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014707_zpsd8b7f915.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Golan Heights on the Syria side:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014708_zps4501db13.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014710_zpse654d2f0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

Day 5 continued...

Once we left Capernaum we headed to the Jordan river. The Golan Heights pics shown above were taken en route. The Jordan river is small and it is directly on the border of Israel and Syria. The river is narrow...one half is on the Israeli side and the other on the Syrian side in this region. It can be easily waded across as you will see in upcoming pics.

Arriving at the Jordan River:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014711_zpseabf2ebf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014712_zpsa08d64fc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014713_zps393968de.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Jordan River:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014714_zpsfa74b668.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Areas for baptisms are fenced off as they have underwater stairs to make getting down into the river easier:

Allvacationphotos2010and2014715_zps6dc929b0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allvacationphotos2010and2014716_zps174108f2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Taken just before my baptism. The white robes are rented for 10 sheckels at the gift shop nearby and there is a large building with huge restrooms for both men and women to change in and out of them. The priest is there daily and it costs nothing to be baptized beyond the robe rental. You can also buy bottles of Jordan river water to take home with you at the gift shop...or if you prefer..you can buy empty bottles and fill them yourself directly from the river so you know you are bringing home actual Jordan river water.

Allvacationphotos2010and2014717_zps14732d75.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeletedUser13231

I have to point out...the water is smelly and the river is filled with catfish. This is also not the original site of Jesus' baptism as that is further down the river right by Jericho. The original site is so polluted with human waste and fecal matter that the water is too unhealthy to get into without getting severely ill with bacterial..viral...or parasitical infections. The water here is cleaner but it is far from actually clean. It's full of catfish and catfish poo along with only God knows what else...the tourists feed the huge catfish with leftover bread from their restaurant meals. The fish are so used to being fed they come right up to you when you put your hand in the water...just like a dog begging for treats...and the fish rub against your hand letting you know they want some grub. They are HUGE!! Monster catfish!!
It is advisable to wear nose and ear plugs when getting dunked and to wash off asap after. Don't wear clothes under the robe or you will stink all the way back to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. Most of the people in the photo above were naked under their robes...smart move. There is no reason to be bashful here as all are being called to Jesus Christ's grace and salvation.

In the gift shop nearby you can purchase wine made from the Golan Heights vineyards and olive oil grown from the trees in the Jordan River region along with all of the other stuff they sell like t-shirts..jewelry..handbags..icons..etc. It is okay to have wine in your checked luggage at the airport but check with TSA on the limits of how many bottles otherwise you'll surely be getting drunk before you leave so as not to waste any of it should you buy too many bottles....lol