• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Looking for tips, tricks, do's & don'ts: I'm parking in HMS so I can build GBs, stock resources & join the right guild

danlan33

Hello! I"m new to the game, just 6 weeks in, and am seeking out help from more experienced players for how to strategize longterm. I"m in the High Middle Ages, prefer negotiating over fighting, have yet to join a guild and actively participate in it, and totally spaced on getting my GBs in. So! I just started reading the forums and learning tips, do's and don'ts. I am hoping that posting this thread can help me with this. I found out about Guild Hopping, and spent the last week racking up my coins and blueprints. I found out about doing the recurring quests through 24 hour production buildings and am now getting a nice chunk of perks from the recurring quests through setting them all to building 2 24 hour productions and getting 5 - 7 recurring quests done a day. These two tricks really helped my game, and I figured if I posted in this forum, I'd learn tons more from folks far more experienced than me. Tomorrow, I can join a Guild again, and seek to learn how to become an active contributor to that guild. As far as GBs go, I got Oracle like everyone, and worked through the research tree to HMA before realizing I had no GBs! Guild hopping got me blueprints, and now I have just built Lighthouse of Alexandria and Statue of Zeus, and am working now on goods to get St. Marks Basilica. I have full blueprints for Tower of Babel, Colosseum, Notre Dame, Hagia Sophia, Cathedral of Aechan, and St. Basils Cathedral - deciding which to get and how to proceed. And, lastly, I'm a pacifist, so I avoid fighting and plundering and whatever other dickish actions, online and off :)

Through guild hopping, I've got a few million coin and all these full blueprints. Through setting recurring quests to 24 hour productions, I"m garnering a bunch of quest rewards daily. I'm now requesting help on how to park myself in HMA, build up the right GBs, join the right build that is a good match for my playing style and where I can be a generous contributor, and figure out to get my supplies jacked up so I'm prepared for future ages with the right resources so I don't get stuck. Any help, dos and dont's, etc, I would super greatly appreciate. Thank you in advance, and happy playing :)

Just An Observer

Chateau/Himeji/LoA/St. Marks' are the GB's which set up recursion. 7 times a day? Pfft. You get to crank out a lot more than that with this setup!

So what's the downside? You need to spend a lot of Diamonds to put this recursion machine into your city or be extremely clever and hooked up to garner the goods. I went with Diamonds.

Fighting vs Negotiating: See them as working hand in hand to preserve both units and goods. GBG is where 2 points get awarded for a successful Negotiation while Fighting is worth 1 point. That makes it obvious you will want to use Negotiations here but you will burn through goods more than in GE due to not having any extra turns. That is why you build up your Fighting capability to handle as much of GE as your units can before the losses get to the level of being unsustainable. Point values for Fighting and Negotiating are equal in GE, so by Fighting, you save goods for GBG and the higher levels of GE.

Additional bonus for Fighting: Dailys have some quests where you need to deal with beating anything from a Very Small Army up to a Very Large Army. If you can at least handle the lesser challenges, you can score the reward for those quests and make it faster to 7 successful quests, where a nice reward awaits.

There are special events with their varying requirements. The more things you can do quickly, the better. A recursion machine and some Fighting capability will help you cruise to the end of the line during these events.

Anyways, that's my take. YMMV and others may disagree! Read through the forums to see what other POV's are out there and to discover information so you can make an informed decision on how to proceed.

Lady Gato

Keep reading the threads you've been reading -- I assume one of them was glarging. Follow the suggestions in that thread especially from @Algona . Stop putting gbs down till you get the level of some of your gbs up. This game is a slog, not a sprint. Do not build the Colosseum and Notre Dame as these gbs don't give you much bang for your fp. How much goods do you have? You need to have a good amount from each era for building gbs, and for GE and GBG you need goods from your previous era and current era. If you haven't researched military tactics yet, I would hold off till you get your city in order cause it sounds like you've made yourself a target by getting to such a high age without getting your city foundations set up for that era. Good luck

danlan33

i'm in high middle ages, so can't get chateau and himeji, so can't get any more recurring quests from production buildings otherwise. i can certainly take up fighting if the game requires it. i've had zero strategy up til now and am looking to park in high middle ages and properly strategize and stock up on resources before advancing on. my questions were on tips and tricks for what to do, how best to stock up on supplies, what GBs to get and in what order and which ones not to bother with, and how best to stock up on forge points to move forward. i'm not progressing further and looking to learn all the mistakes i've made and improve on all the points as i move forward. i didn't realize that moving forward could get you stuck at later stages, and am taking pause now and reading forums and, well, just genuinely asking for guidance and to tap into the wisdom of others :)

Lady Gato

I am in iron age - started in May and have Arc down in my city in Tuulech (due to getting free arc goods and a great guild who is helping me level up the beast). Started a city in beta 2 weeks later - don't have arc down but just set Chateau down. The beta city is also in iron age. I am doing an experiment about arc / no arc. And gbg/no gbg. I gave you the best advice I could from the perspective of being a noob myself.

Nicholas002

i'm in high middle ages, so can't get chateau and himeji,
You can build GBs from ahead of your era. Some of these are VERY helpful to have in lower ages, most notably arc and chateau.

my advice would be to get the 3 military boost GBs, but you don’t do “dickish” things, like use imaginary soldiers to fight against a computer, so I guess that doesn’t help.

I’d say get most of the other essential GBs ( Loa, smb, cf, possibly tor and hc) to 10, and Arc to 80 before going too much further ( probably in HMA, and definitely by CA. )

Eman

Pardon the intrusion, but Lady Gato, you have an Arc in the IA. How did you do that without being in the FA? I would like to learn how. Can someone please tell me?

Nicholas002

Pardon the intrusion, but Lady Gato, you have an Arc in the IA. How did you do that without being in the FA? I would like to learn how. Can someone please tell me?
You can get any GB in any era.
you get the Blueprints by aiding buildings from the GBs era or getting contribution rewards from the GB you want. Then you need the goods. You get these by trading: either by trading up eras fairly, or by getting a high era player to give you the goods with unfair trades, and in exchange you pay Forge Points to that player’s GBs. The latter is more common.

Lady Gato

You can get any GB in any era.
you get the Blueprints by aiding buildings from the GBs era or getting contribution rewards from the GB you want. Then you need the goods. You get these by trading: either by trading up eras fairly, or by getting a high era player to give you the goods with unfair trades, and in exchange you pay Forge Points to that player’s GBs. The latter is more common.
I got all the arc bps for a full set by aiding buildings from the Future Era. The goods I got was from my guild with no fps involved. But you also need to be able to feed that arc fps cause it is hungry. My guildmates help a lot and I generate reliably about 50-70 fps per day, but I also get additional fps from GE and RQs.

DevaCat

Kudos on recognizing a pause in leveling up was in order. That's going to prevent a lot of future frustration.

Good advice given already. In addition to not building Notre Dame and Colosseum, I'd wait/not build St Basils as well.

@Just An Observer gave good advice on why you'd want to be able to fight as well as negotiate. You don't have to plunder if you don't want to, and you can attack neighbors without being a jerk about it, lol.

Strategy at this point is deciding what's fun to do, and figuring out how to make that work for you. Where are you getting your fps, and how many a day? Are you going for FP producing special buildings in events, and do you have room to place any? How about your goods -- using goods buildings and houses (pop) to support them? Any barracks down yet at all? How is your happiness? Using decos and cultural buildings to handle that? Answers to those questions will steer your strategy.

I've never been a fan of the Babel. My bias was to avoid adding population (and the need for more happiness) by eliminating the need for it. With even a low-level Chateau I was able to soon completely eliminate all the goods producing buildings and the houses which supported them -- the RQs were producing more goods per day than I'd been collecting before. The space I gained I filled with more supply buildings for RQs, SoKs, and anything I picked up that would produce fps.

Seems like you like negotiating and doing RQs, so having the LoA down is great (supplies boost + unplunderable goods). St. Marks gives you a coins boost and unplunderable goods. These two aid doing the RQs, both essential imho. Work on getting the Chateau.

Next up would be the Hagia Sophia and/or Alcatraz question. They both are huge (I had both in a HMA city, but I was a little crazy:)). Either one can help solve the need for happiness, and let you delete the decos and the cultural buildings. You want those aid clicks going to better targets. Advantage to Traz is the ability in time to get rid of barracks and the houses that support them, freeing up precious space.

On the military side, I'd suggest going for a CdM. Zeus is small, and relatively cheap to level, but just gives a military boost. CdM gives a boost plus fps. But level them both. Aachen is good to have too, but it's a military boost plus coins so I'd build it later. Where you are, fps are going to be key.

I know a Himeji would be a boon to doing RQs, but it's large and expensive, and I wanted to give advice appropriate to anyone not buying/spending diamonds to set up that RQ machine. (I want one! Lol, just going to take me a little longer to set one up.)

Arc. Definitely going to want one. I agree with those who caution to have the resources in place to build and fuel its rise. You will save yourself a lot of grief if you get your city in shape to support that enterprise. Key metric here would be your daily FP production from all sources.

HMA is a good place to make decisions and work on your city. Stay off the continent map :), and keep asking questions!

Eman

I got all the arc bps for a full set by aiding buildings from the Future Era. The goods I got was from my guild with no fps involved. But you also need to be able to feed that arc fps cause it is hungry. My guildmates help a lot and I generate reliably about 50-70 fps per day, but I also get additional fps from GE and RQs.
Thank you, Lady Gato.

danlan33

Thank you so much for all this, it is super super helpful. I feel like an idiot that I just plowed through with no strategy. Unfortunately, I now have another problem: happiness. Ever since I started getting caught up on Great Buildings and doing the Recurring Quests strategy with production buildings, my happiness production went down from 120% to 100%. It has been at 120% up until I made this change, and now I can't figure out how to fix it. I"m parking out in High Middle Ages in order to improve my city and work on a strategy, but I don't know how to sort out this happiness. I've begun fighting, finally (but no plundering!! :)), and will be building up my army this week from EMA to HMA.

As to specific questions, I make barely any FPs, and would like to fix this! I get 2 from my Town Hall through my guild, 1 fp from a Ygdrassil, and that's it. I have full blueprints for St.Marks, Tower of Babel, Colosseum, Notre Dame, Hagia Sophia, Cathedral of Aechan, and St. Basils Cathedral. I was planning on building St.Marks and then Hagia, and then I don't know. The big issues I see that I need to change to make my city more harmonious, is the Happiness and the Supplies (as I'll get crushed in LMA). I do enjoy goods and trading and negotiations, so I'd like to have a city that reflects that.

Any advice or help would be super appreciated. My goal is to fix the mistakes I made on advancing too quickly, not building up GBs and being averse to fighting. Now, I want a city that works at 120% happiness, produces tons of goods and FPS. I am currently in a guild, but I'm more than happy to change to one that would be more beneficial to my playing style and that I can be an active contributor to.

Nicholas002

Thank you so much for all this, it is super super helpful. I feel like an idiot that I just plowed through with no strategy. Unfortunately, I now have another problem: happiness. Ever since I started getting caught up on Great Buildings and doing the Recurring Quests strategy with production buildings, my happiness production went down from 120% to 100%. It has been at 120% up until I made this change, and now I can't figure out how to fix it. I"m parking out in High Middle Ages in order to improve my city and work on a strategy, but I don't know how to sort out this happiness. I've begun fighting, finally (but no plundering!! :)), and will be building up my army this week from EMA to HMA.

As to specific questions, I make barely any FPs, and would like to fix this! I get 2 from my Town Hall through my guild, 1 fp from a Ygdrassil, and that's it. I have full blueprints for St.Marks, Tower of Babel, Colosseum, Notre Dame, Hagia Sophia, Cathedral of Aechan, and St. Basils Cathedral. I was planning on building St.Marks and then Hagia, and then I don't know. The big issues I see that I need to change to make my city more harmonious, is the Happiness and the Supplies (as I'll get crushed in LMA). I do enjoy goods and trading and negotiations, so I'd like to have a city that reflects that.

Any advice or help would be super appreciated. My goal is to fix the mistakes I made on advancing too quickly, not building up GBs and being averse to fighting. Now, I want a city that works at 120% happiness, produces tons of goods and FPS. I am currently in a guild, but I'm more than happy to change to one that would be more beneficial to my playing style and that I can be an active contributor to.
Now that you are open to fighting, I would say get the three military GBs: Zeus, Aachen, and Castel del Monte, and work on leveling them to 10. this will help you greatly in GE, events, and other aspects of the game, will will make fighitng fun, rather than a chore. CdM, also give FPs, so that is a double bonus.

If you Get traz, that will help your fighting, as well as solve your happiness problem.

Otherwise, just try to complete every event. Each main event building gives a lot of happiness, and FPs, and everything else needed to get a young city up and running.

Have you tried GBg? that can be a great source of FPs and another FP building (Statue of Honor). Youhave to be in the right guild though.

good luck!

DadLander

Hello! I"m new to the game, just 6 weeks in, and am seeking out help from more experienced players for how to strategize longterm. I"m in the High Middle Ages, prefer negotiating over fighting, have yet to join a guild and actively participate in it, and totally spaced on getting my GBs in. So! I just started reading the forums and learning tips, do's and don'ts. I am hoping that posting this thread can help me with this.

I found out about Guild Hopping, and spent the last week racking up my coins and blueprints.
I found out about doing the recurring quests through 24 hour production buildings and am now getting a nice chunk of perks from the recurring quests through setting them all to building 2 24 hour productions and getting 5 - 7 recurring quests done a day.
These two tricks really helped my game, and I figured if I posted in this forum, I'd learn tons more from folks far more experienced than me.

As far as GBs go, I got Oracle like everyone, and worked through the research tree to HMA before realizing I had no GBs!
Guild hopping got me blueprints, and now I have just built Lighthouse of Alexandria and Statue of Zeus, and am working now on goods to get St. Marks Basilica. I have full blueprints for Tower of Babel, Colosseum, Notre Dame, Hagia Sophia, Cathedral of Aechan, and St. Basils Cathedral - deciding which to get and how to proceed.
And, lastly, I'm a pacifist, so I avoid fighting and plundering and whatever other dickish actions, online and off :)

Through guild hopping, I've got a few million coin and all these full blueprints.
Through setting recurring quests to 24 hour productions, I"m garnering a bunch of quest rewards daily.

I'm now requesting help on how to
park myself in HMA,
build up the right GBs,
join the right build that is a good match for my playing style and where I can be a generous contributor, and
figure out to get my supplies jacked up so I'm prepared for future ages with the right resources so I don't get stuck.

Any help, dos and dont's, etc, I would super greatly appreciate. Thank you in advance, and happy playing :)

danlan33: Thank You for asking the questions! I'm also new to the game, just 2 weeks in, and more valuable than the questions were your descriptions of: 1) where you are now 2) what you have done 3) the challenges you are facing. My giveback to other new comers like me is the following: I am in the Iron Age, My goal is to see how far I can get without buying diamonds. I prefer to minimize fighting/plundering. I have a couple of blueprints for 7 different GBs. I belong to a guild but I am still trying to figure out how to contribute. My take away(s) from this thread are: First, answers to every question you asked and Second, a list of keywords to find out more about: 1) Guild Hopping 2) Recurring Quests 3) 24 hour production building 4) 4 GBs for recursion 5) 3 military boost GBs. Again, Thank You.

Lady Gato

danlan33: Thank You for asking the questions! I'm also new to the game, just 2 weeks in, and more valuable than the questions were your descriptions of: 1) where you are now 2) what you have done 3) the challenges you are facing. My giveback to other new comers like me is the following: I am in the Iron Age, My goal is to see how far I can get without buying diamonds. I prefer to minimize fighting/plundering. I have a couple of blueprints for 7 different GBs. I belong to a guild but I am still trying to figure out how to contribute. My take away(s) from this thread are: First, answers to every question you asked and Second, a list of keywords to find out more about: 1) Guild Hopping 2) Recurring Quests 3) 24 hour production building 4) 4 GBs for recursion 5) 3 military boost GBs. Again, Thank You.
Two more important key words -- 6) glarging; 7) Algona

OG Hooligan

The numero uno GB to place period is an Arc and blast it to 80 as fast as you can. I do believe the CF is the second best GB to have but only if your game play style is to be ACTIVE. A high CF is only beneficial if you are online often, have a FP bank to back it and are active in 1.9 threads. If that isn’t your style then the slow grind is Babel, LoA and SMB. Then I preferred the CDM due to its attack boost and FP generation. I dropped a Zeus and CoA as well and got them to 10 then went on a traz rampage because of GBG then the rest of my attack GBs with a pause in between Zeus and CoA for AO.

Deitized-Karma

I wouldn't call myself an expeirence player but a good strategy that has been working for me *been running it since IA* is to hoard all unattached units and run 0 normal military buildings and run all goods. Than if you can get a rouge or a no age unit building than try and get traz. This will give u an abundance of goods and units and with this set up I've been able to solo all gvg,ge and battleground up to plat