• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Make Each Unit Look Different

Would you like to see this idea in place?

• Yes it would be cool

• No I don't like the idea

Results are only viewable after voting.

KevinP0208

Idea:
Make each unit look different, like Berserkers and Clubman. When they look the same I always wonder what is what. Especially when both units are in the same battle, like Rangers and Braves.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
It hasn't been suggested, but some people thought it was a bug.

Reason:
It's nothing serious but it can be confusing/annoying when 2 different units are in battle and they both look the same. You need to go through the list to check what it is, so it would be cooler if each unit looked a bit different.

Details:
Each unit deserves a different portrait and look on the battlefield.

Visual Aids:
None

Balance:
It won't change the game, just the look and less confusion. So none

Abuse Prevention:
None needed because it only changes looks.

Summary:
This isn't a bug or anything urgent, but it would be pretty cool if each unit had a different look rather than sharing one (Berserker and Clubman, or Ranger and Braves, or Barbarians, etc.) It would make the battle less confusing if all units look different.

Ebeondi Asi

The worst I have seen(so far) are the troops on LMA. they have a combined horrible design. They are all dark thick lines and impossible to tell apart in the images. To anyone with even a slight visual acuity problem they are just bad. terrible in fact. Some Troops designs are very good. so it is not all troops. just some of them.

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
The worst I have seen(so far) are the troops on LMA. they have a combined horrible design. They are all dark thick lines and impossible to tell apart in the images. To anyone with even a slight visual acuity problem they are just bad. terrible in fact. Some Troops designs are very good. so it is not all troops. just some of them.
That has nothing to do with this proposal. Some units have other different names and skill, but look the same. That is what he would like to see changed.

While I understand the idea I do not think it will ever happen. Those units have looked like that for more than 8 years. Don't think they are going to change the design even if this gets forwarded.

KevinP0208

There's only one unit I'm aware of that actually reuses the same graphic and that's the Clubman with the Berserker
The Ranger and Brave use the same battle graphic, but not portrait.
The Berserker and Clubman are the only one who uses the same portrait and graphic, but others like Mounted Archers and Mounted Braves, Slingers and Barbarian slingers, Barbarians and Berserkers, etc use the same graphic.

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
There's only one unit I'm aware of that actually reuses the same graphic and that's the Clubman with the Berserker
Avatars used are different, but figures on the battlefield are the same.

Barbarian Slinger is a Slinger. Barbarian is a Berserker. Mounted Brave is a Mounted Warrior. Brave Warrior is a Ranger.

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
It's nothing serious but it can be confusing/annoying when 2 different units are in battle and they both look the same. You need to go through the list to check what it is, so it would be cooler if each unit looked a bit different
If you look at it realistic, only a Ranger might run in to a Brave Warrior. All other units are not likely to meet.

KevinP0208

If you look at it realistic, only a Ranger might run in to a Brave Warrior. All other units are not likely to meet.
Yeah kind of makes sense. But tbh it gets a bit weird when they look the same but have different stats. It doesn't really matter if they look different or not, but it would be kinda cool if the devs do decide to change it so that they all have a unique look...

Another occasion was Berserker with Barbarian. For me, at that time I had no attack/defense boost, so I had to use HMA units against Barbarians.

Last edited:

Dominator - X

Yeah kind of makes sense. But tbh it gets a bit weird when they look the same but have different stats. It doesn't really matter if they look different or not, but it would be kinda cool if the devs do decide to change it so that they all have a unique look...

Another occasion was Berserker with Barbarian. For me, at that time I had no attack/defense boost, so I had to use HMA units against Barbarians.
Have you tried the Auto-Battle feature?

Nice2HaveU

Myself had same graphic issue for champions in "era" with different avatars but same machine graphic in the battle field. Don't have troops to try it out. Forgot on which era got the problem. From modern era to future era, between those two of the era had same champions graphics. Which one not able to recollect.

WANDERERthe

Each unit type do look different
You have green health Bars
The enemy has red health Bars
So it is easy to know who is who

KevinP0208

Each unit type do look different
You have green health Bars
The enemy has red health Bars
So it is easy to know who is who
Ok. It is easy to tell between your troops and mine. But that's not what I am suggesting. It's that troops even in the same army, like Rangers and Brave warriors, look the same in battle. Of course I need to be able to tell the difference between my army and enemy's. If I can't do that, then I am probably 1 IQ.

Emberguard

? Whats hard to identify them apart
It's important to know what a unit is so you can use the correct strategy.

Back when NPC units were NPC exclusive this would never cause a issue. But now we've got a situation where if a player is using slingers and barbarian slingers in a defending army it is now an issue. You need to be able to identify the two apart so you can use the correct strategy to deal with that particular unit

Of course with those units being a few ages apart this is somewhat unlikely to come up, but still a possibility

Jern2017

I vote no. While reworking some of the graphics would add a nice touch of detail, I have never (in my four years of playing this game) got confused with recognizing my units on the battlefield.

Emberguard

I have never (in my four years of playing this game) got confused with recognizing my units on the battlefield.
It wouldn’t have been possible for 4 years (aside from champions being different ages) as you wouldn’t have had access to the units that reuse the same graphics

It’s only been technically possible since the introduction of Cultural Settlements once Emissaries were obtained. Then Japan with the random units from the Timeless Dojo.

More recently it’d be from Egypts Royal Bathhouse and Summer Events Governors Villa which are much easier to obtain

I don’t know if this will ever be a real problem or not as it does require mixing units from different ages. But it’ll definitely be far more likely to occur the more readily available random units from special buildings become