1. Changelog 1.161

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.161 will take place on Wed, Sept 18, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GvG Improvements Update

Hello Queens and Kings,
    First up, we wanted to thank you once again for taking the time to continue to contribute your feedback on the upcoming changes to Forge of Empires, especially in relation to Guild Battlegrounds.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Market Bug

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Ebs the Drunk, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Ebs the Drunk

Ebs the Drunk Member

My brother and I found a bug with the market. We play on the same realm and are in the same guild.
    Not every player, in the same realm, can see the same or the whole market. I assume this is bug and hope it's not intended as it would be a very poor design since player trading is a must to progress in the game.

This is what I can see while I was trying to find Jewelry.
    [​IMG]

While this is what my brother can see on his account
    [​IMG]

Again, this is the same realm (Tuulech), we're in the same guild. I refreshed my search after he showed me his screen, so it wasn't a new entry. We normally play on mobile so I tried through the browser and had the same search results (or lack thereof).

2. snake11s

snake11s Guest

I am guessing he has different friends than you.

harbinger956 likes this.
  3. Dursland

Dursland I am Dursland Forum Moderator

Or different neighborhoods.

If you guys are in same guild then check the shield icon for "guild only" trades and you both will should see same thing.

Otherwise you will have trades from your neighbors and friends on market.

snake11s likes this.
  4. Ebs the Drunk

Ebs the Drunk Member

Wasn't aware that could make a difference so thanks.

That would fall under poor design imo. Market should be global since some materials are in more demand than others. If I'm a dead neighborhood I'm screwed..

Which is why the shield is unchecked in both screenshots. I wan't to make sure all the search options were the same. Guild trades will show up even if it's not checked.
    Also if you look closer, the items he can see are not being traded through guild, so that option doesn't help me at all in this situation. Checking "Guild Only" would make us see the same thing; nothing.

5. snake11s

snake11s Guest

That would put a big strain on the server. Also, it takes out a few aspects of the game as it would put the trade for profit players out of business. And you are right, some goods are in demand more than others which adds an element to game. If you have a supply and demand good resource (boost) to your favor you can plant multiple buildings and sell them for FP's or make a profit on other goods.

harbinger956 likes this.
  6. Ebs the Drunk

Ebs the Drunk Member

The current system promotes multiple accounts or pushes people away. I'm fortunate that my brother has 1 bonus different from me. But if another player has a bonus that no one wants, they'll have choose between making items with no bonus, deal with the 10 for 1 trade, and/or just get frustrated that no one wants to trade and leave the game.

7. snake11s

snake11s Guest

I
    IDK, I never heard of anyone quitting because they can't find goods. If you play long enough you make contacts for goods and other social parts of the game. If you are that frustrated over a lack of jewelry offer in Iron age you are going to be really frustrated as you age up and everything costs more.

Stephen Longshanks likes this.
  8. Ebs the Drunk

Ebs the Drunk Member

Not everyone that quits a game says why they quit, but I've seen people do it with other games. They log in to look for something is selling or do a daily dungeon run for an item they need to progress, don't see it or get it, try again the next day. Eventually they start skipping days and go inactive indefinitely. This game on the other hand presents the problem very early on.

9. snake11s

snake11s Guest

Here's a suggestion since you didn't know about the friends and hood deal...use your friend requests on players who are willing to help you. Also, look around your world, there are many cities doing just fine even though they encounter this problem early on. If everything was easy and instant gratification I am guessing a lot more would quit as most of us play for the challenges the game presents. Just saying...you won't always get what you want when you want.

harbinger956 likes this.
  10. snake11s

snake11s Guest

I thought I was being polite and just stating facts from what I have learned from the game. Good luck to you.

11. Ebs the Drunk

Ebs the Drunk Member

Seems pretty laced in sarcasm but I'll withdraw my comment.

12. Stephen Longshanks

Stephen Longshanks Forum Moderator

Also, you can post trades yourself to try and get the good(s) you're looking for. You don't have to rely solely on the trades that are already posted by others.

snake11s likes this.
  13. Ebs the Drunk

Ebs the Drunk Member

Yes, I'm aware. Just reporting what I thought was a glitch.

14. snake11s

snake11s Guest

Fair enough, it's messaging so the tone is lost.

15. sloppyjoeslayer

sloppyjoeslayer Well-Known Member

Worlds:
    Dunarsund
    Global trade would be great IF they had with it a filter option to set a range of offers one is willing to accept. But even if they didn't have that option I think I'd still like it better.

16. Stephen Longshanks

Trading is part of the strategy of the game. In real life empire building historically, you traded with those near you (neighbors) and some others that you had a special relationship with, whether it was a full alliance (guild) or just mutually beneficial trade partners (friends). Sometimes you could trade through middlemen, but you didn't have global trade opportunities. In strategy games (and life) you have opportunities, but no guarantees. That is not a glitch, nor is it a design flaw. :cool:

Dursland likes this.
  17. sloppyjoeslayer

Worlds:
    Dunarsund
    uh, it's a game not real life and I could use the "it's part of the strat" argument for anything, aid, part of the strat so get rid of the easy aid button, fighting is strategic so get rid of the easy auto battle button, GB leveling is strategic so get rid of the GB button next to avatar, I could go on and on. Other games work and profit just fine with more players and larger markets, there's no rational reason this game can't do likewise.

18. Stephen Longshanks

This isn't other games, for one thing. And changing it to a global market kind of defeats the whole boosted goods mechanic. Not to mention that it is a foundational feature of the game. You'd need a much better reason than a lack of Iron Age Jewelry to justify changing a basic part of the game.

snake11s likes this.
  19. sloppyjoeslayer

Worlds:
    Dunarsund
    These are merely statements. Yes it is true this is not other games. Yes it's been part of the game from nearly the beginning to have boosted goods. okay? and what? am I to infer from these statements somehow there should then not be a global market? e.g. I've never had a cat, I am unlike those who have cats ah so don't get a cat?

Also not sure how a global market as opposed to a limited market we already have defeats the purpose of good buildings that have a boost. Perhaps you can elaborate.

20. Stephen Longshanks

The idea of only having 2 of the 5 goods available from each age means that a big part of the strategy in the game involves solving the problem of limited supplies of the other goods. This, combined with the market limited to guild, friends and neighbors puts a premium on finding a good guild and picking good friends. A global market would take that away from the game. It wouldn't matter who your friends were or what guild you were in as far as finding the goods you need. It's not just that the boosted goods mechanic has been part of the game from the beginning, it is that it is a fundamental and intentional part of the game's design.

The other considerations when talking about a global marketplace are the sheer size of such a thing. There are multiple thousands of players on each world. Even if it could be done by the developers without seriously bogging down the game, who would want to wade through a few thousand pages of posted trades? It would simply overwhelm new players. It's just a bad idea that changes a fundmental challenge of the game.

No, it's more like this. I purposely chose to not have a cat because of how I want to live my life. My life is designed to have no room for a cat in it. Therefore, I will not get a cat.

Bottom line: Might there be some benefits to having a global market? Yes. Might there be issues with the game in implementing a global market? Very possible. Would it change a fundamental part of the game? Yes. As Algona would ask, "Is it good for the game?" Very debatable, but my answer is no.

InfamousChan and Lauramiller like this.