• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Memorial Day Contest

DeletedUser36572

Friends in Life and Death

It is not often that we lose two soldiers, lifelong friends, on the same day,
in the same place at the same time;
Side by side they lived, fought, and died.​

One of the fine young men was Lt. Commander Jonas B. Kelsall, a man noted for his primary objectives in life of bringing happiness to everyone around him and serving his country to the fullest. Jonas received his Navy commission in 2001 and was one of the original plank owners of a West Coast based SEAL Team in Coronado, California. During his numerous deployments in support of the War, Jonas was awarded a Legion of Merit, two Bronze Star Medals with Combat "V" Devices for Valor, a Purple Heart, a Joint Service Commendation Medal with Combat "V" Device for Valor, three Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medals, two Joint Service Achievement Medals and numerous other personal and unit decorations.

The second young man was Chief Petty Officer Robert J Reeves, who was, as friends remark, a genuine pleasure to be around. Reeves became a SEAL in 1999 and served on SEAL Team 6. His decorations include four Bronze Star Medals with ‘V’ device for valor, Joint Service Commendation Medal with ‘V’ device for valor, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with ‘V’ device for valor, Combat Action Ribbon, two Presidential Unit Citations, and a litany of personal and unit decorations.

They were childhood friends, friends in high school, played soccer together on the school team, both joined the Navy and both became Navy Seals eventually on Seal Team 6. On August 6, 2011 they were both on a Chinook helicopter heading into Wardak Province, Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom, when insurgents shot the helicopter down killing all the Seal Team on board and many others.

Those of us who knew them remember them often, we honor their sacrifice every day, and especially on Memorial Day.

Lt. Commander Jonas Kelsall
Seal Team 6

JonasBKelsall.jpg

Chief Petty Officer Robert James Reeves
Seal Team 6

Afghanistan_Crash-4_t460.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

plinker2

My Dad was a WWII vet. He served over 3 years in the hell of the South Pacific. He was in a mortar crew. He would hardly ever mention the war (except to another vet). He was a big bear of a man, yet one of the most quiet and humble God fearing men you would ever meet. Every year until he died, his jungle rot would return. I once ask him how he got it and he told me that they would go days sometimes a week or more without having a chance to take their boots off, much less wash, or even get to change their socks. I had 5 Uncles that fought in Europe in WWII as well. Dad and my Uncles were tough as a whet leather. I am not bragging on them, but their service. They were of America's finest generation! I truly miss them all.

DeletedUser

Dad never talked much about his World War II service when we were growing up. Over the last ten years I found out a lot about his 3 years overseas. Dad was a crew chief for B-25 Mitchell medium bombers. Meaning he was in charge of the ground crew that kept the bomber in the air. He served in the 434th Bomb Squadron. They got the nickname "Earthquakers" from the Germans in North Africa when they were supporting Montgomery's British 8th Army, because they said when those B-25s dropped their loads it made the ground shake. He served in that theater of war from mid-1942 until they had driven Rommel from North Africa and taken half of Italy. Then they were shipped to the CBI (China-Burma-India) theater and served there until the war's end. Pilots and flight crew would rotate in and then back to the states, but support troops like Dad were over there for the duration. Having traveled to Egypt from the east coast and around the Horn of Africa, he traveled back to the US from India across the Pacific to the West Coast. So he circumnavigated the globe!

As I said, he never talked much over the years about his service, but after he retired in the early 1980s, he started attending the 434th reunions. They had been having an annual reunion every single year since 1946. I didn't attend any of these until 2009, after I retired myself. From that year until the last one in 2017, I attended every one. Seeing these men, witnessing the obvious bond they still had after all these years, listening to them talk about events from 70 years ago with clarity as if they were yesterday, well...words cannot describe how amazing an experience that was, and how blessed I was to be allowed to be part of that. Sadly, he and most of the others I met at these reunions, have passed on now. But the memory of their fellowship and appreciation for what they did will remain with me forever.

DeletedUser38809

My story isn't about a soldier, but of a civilian who acted with the same selflessness. His name was Kendrick Castillo. I first met him when I was recruiting for my FIRST robotics team back in 2015 as the PR lead for the team. He and his dad would come to every event and when the time came to send out the first emails letting them know of when the next season would start, they were at the top of the list. By the end of the year, Kendrick became the Fabrication lead and his dad, the team coach. He was always positive and kind and would always put others before himself. He would take the time to make sure everyone under his lead, would learn the skill needed to build the robot. He became the heart and soul of the team.

Fast forward to May 7th 2019, and there's reports of another school shooting. This time at STEM School Highlands Ranch. Myself, having graduated from the school last year, was safe and sound at college. But Kendrick and several other of my friends from robotics are still there, days away from graduating. If you've read the news, you know how this plays out. I learn hours later, after I've reached one of the hospitals trying to find him, that he didn't make it. He was the sole casualty from the shooting. He put the lives of the other students in the classroom above his own and tackled one of the gunman, giving everyone there a chance to escape. Unfortunately he lost his own life in the process. He wasn't part of the military or a soldier; he was just a kid. But what he did, I feel, goes right up there with the best of them. I'm glad I got to be friends with him for nearly 4 years, It was a blast and I jope to carry on his legacy.

P.S. everything you've read about him in the news (smart, kind, etc.) is all true. He was truly a one of a kind person and we should strive to be a bit more like him.

DeletedUser39431

On Memorial Day, it has always been my honor to thank all of those of have given their lives for such a just cause, the freedom of our great nation. My deepest respects does go to one unique branch in the United States Military, it is called the "Silent Service". It is part of the United States Navy and the sailors who do serve aboard these vessels proudly wear the emblem called "Dolphins", given to them when they have learned ALL the workings of what are comely called "Boats" by these brave men. The "Silent Service" is manned by submariners who have willingly volunteered to serve aboard United States Submarines.

Since the end of World War II, the United States Navy has lost at sea some 30 odd ships. The predominant vessel lost has been submariners, four to be exact. On 26 August 1949, The U.S.S. Cochino SS345 was lost at sea after battling some very heavy weather off the coast of Norway. One person, a civilian died during that rescue. On 29 May 1958, the U.S.S. Stickleback SS415 was accidentally rammed by a USN Destroyer while conducting practice torpedo runs. A full resue was completed and no submariners were lost.

However, the minimal loss of lives during the first two incidents involving submarines came to a disastrous end. The U.S.S. Thresher SSN593 (the second submarine to bear that name) on 10 April 1963 was conducting deep dive exercises 220 miles off the coast of Cape Cod. Apparently, the submarine had a hull breach and could not recover. On that day 129 submariners lost their lives.

The last United States submarine to be lost was on 22 May 1968. The U.S.S. Scorpion SSN589, while on patrol somewhere of the Azores was presumed sunk by unknown causes. On that day, the Navy lost 99 excellent men. Strangely enough during that year 1968, Isreal, France, and Russia all lost submarines.

The United States Submarine Service has always been "silent" for many reasons. These "boats" go on patrol for 150 days, 200 days, even spending 300 days at sea, with only a select few of the crew actually knowing where they are or what their mission is. The missions or patrols are always clouded in top secrecy and never discussed with friend, family or spouse at any time or under any circumstance.

So why am I so dedicated to remembering these people who have lost their lives? Some were my friends, other acquaintances who I went through submarine school together, that is my reason. To this day, I am still proud to say that I did earn the "Dolphins"; I spent 20 years 8 months aboard those beloved "Boats"

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser40450

The Battle of Hamburger Hill, fought 50-years ago this month, from May the 10th till it’s eventual capture on May the 22nd is burnt into the memories of its participants, as is the memory of the men who died there. Fought for control of a specific mountain, known as Hill 937 by the American force directors, and so named in accordance with its height in meters was actually called Dong Ap Bia by the Vietnamese, which translates into ‘Mountain of the crouching beast.'

Hamburger Hill sat one mile from the Laotian border and contained multiple ridges and fingers that came off the summit. The slopes of Dong Ap Bia were covered in extreme overgrowth of sharp 7 foot high elephant grass, thick bamboo groves and a triple-canopy jungle. The entire area was a support system for the North Vietnamese, infiltrating supplies and men into the South, and the general vicinity of that part of the A Shau Valley of South Vietnam contained roads for trucks, major supply depots and the like.

We thought the battle would take only hours. It took days.
When the 3rd Battalion, 187th Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division landed on the hill on May 10, military command estimated that they would reach the summit in a matter of hours. Instead, it took 10 more days and nearly 12 full assaults.

The U.S. Army dropped more than 1,088 tons of bombs, 142 tons of napalm, 31,000 rounds of 20-mm shells, and 513 tons of teargas on North Vietnamese forces.

A reporter on the scene stated to me while I waited for a Medivac (Medical Evacuation) Helicopter to take me to a field hospital after nine days of combat and three wounds, “It looks like a moonscape, it looks a lot like the Western Front battlefields of World War I…absolute devastation.”

Once the fighting was over, 72 Americans were dead and more than 370 were wounded. Estimates of North Vietnamese losses vary, but at least 630 were killed.

C:\Users\delha\AppData\Local\Temp\ksohtml\wpsA1DA.tmp.png

Paramedics load wounded paratroopers following the fierce fight on “Hamburger Hill” in South Vietnam’s A Shau Valley. (Credit: Bettmann Archive/Getty Images)

I close this piece with sharing not the name of One single GI that died to save his buddies and do his duty to his fellows but with an honorarium to the 39 men of the 3rd brigade and the total of 79 American soldiers that died in the battle, to which add as many as 15 of those died to Friendly Fire.

These men sacrificed all they had for the protection of their comrades in arms and each and every one of them deserves nothing less than the right to be remembered with honor and dignity.

DeletedUser40436

It is such an honor to share the story of this non-commissioned Army officer from Arizona who gave his life at the Battle of Kamdesh in Afghanistan in October, 2009, U.S Army Staff Sergeant Justin Gallegos. Although specific details have not been released regarding the incident that took this brave man's life, what is known is that the Taliban had breached his outpost and despite his brave efforts to protect himself and four other soldiers from the attack, his life was lost.

Staff Sergeant Gallegos was originally the recipient of one of nine Silver Stars awarded for his valor in the battle of Kamdesh, and his Silver Star will now be upgraded. The following statement was released by Rep. Martha McSally, R-Arizona:

"Staff Sgt. Gallegos bravely fought and gave his life in service to our country and his fellow soldiers. He embodies what the Distinguished Service Cross stands to honor."

The family of this extraordinary soldier patiently waited almost a decade for the Army to honor his sacrifice to his country. This important final step memorializes one of the bravest men to serve our country in recent years and we all should honor him and his family this and every Memorial Day. Let's keep his memory alive!

DeletedUser40475

I lost two friends in Special Operations MC-130H Combat Talon II crashes within two months of each other. The first was Tech Sergeant Sean Corlew who died in a fire as a result of a crash in Afghanistan on 13 June 2002. The airplane Sean was on went into an unimproved landing strip, at night, completely blacked-out, to pick up some Army soldiers who had been on the ground for a while. The crew picked up the soldiers and their two vehicles and were attempting to take off again when the airplane couldn't maintain a positive climb. The airplane settled back down to the ground and caught fire. Sean was one of two loadmasters in the back of the plane who couldn't get out of the burning wreckage. The crash caused the escape routes to be useless and Sean burned to death. The second was Major Mike Akos who died as the airplane he was piloting impacted a mountain in Puerto Rico during bad weather, also at night with minimal lighting on 07 August 2002. In zero visibility, the airplane flew into the mountain killing all on-board. In fact, the wreckage was so devastating that I'm not sure they every completely identified everyone on-board.

I knew of most of the other crewmembers aboard both airplanes, but I had flown with Sean and Mike for many years before these tragedies. Sean was a very good laodmaster and a great guy. Mike was a good pilot and a funny guy. All military flying is inherently dangerous but the Special Operations business is even more so. Flying large cargo airplanes, down as low as 100 feet above the ground, at night, with no lights is a very risky endeavor. All Special Operators know the risk they are taking on when they sign up to fly, and we are always prepared to deal with any outcome. However, losing two airplanes and 13 crewmembers within two months was quite a blow to the community.

As General George Patton once said, "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." Sean and Mike were both very fine men, who were dedicated to their job and good at what they did. I thank God that they lived and that I was fortunate enough to serve with them... fly with them... call them friends.

DeletedUser4770

Our Grand Prize Winner is #39 AmityRaine

Our three runners up are:
#48 SOFSwede
#21 Dooffensmirtz
#33 jtp1434

Thank you all for your time in documenting the lives of these soldiers. The dedication, courage and bravery shown by these men and women were truly moving.