• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Military strategy for conquering the PE Continent

jlshetler

I have just uncovered the Progressive Era continent (Europe) and am struggling to wrap my mind around the new terrain and the units, with their very different bonuses and attributes than previous ages. I am hoping to learn from the experience of other players the best strategies to conquer these sectors, first with just InA units, later with the PE units as they become available in the tech tree, which seems to be the opposite order of previous ages. If something reliable has already been written on this I would appreciate a link -- I have been searching for a while with little luck. Otherwise I am hoping people can post here.

I easily took each sector of Havre with an attacking army of 8 jaegers, but I can see that that won't be possible in the other provinces with snipers lying in wait and very little forest to protect my infantry. Riflemen seem pretty useless. Are breech loaders the way to go? My attack/defense bonus is 54%.

Thanks,
Joe

DeletedUser10266

Research rfc's asap. Problem with IndA troops is they are not intended to be on the 1.5 scale map. Most pe units will kill even boosted inda units fairly easily because of their superior range. I actually held off on a good chunk of the map till I had tanks. Ultimately a good mix of all the units makes the map a joke but that takes some time. Also keep in mind rogue targeting is completely different from pe on which can be good or bad depending on how tactical you are.

DeletedUser8152

I was able to take Havre with jaegers, howitzers and breech loaders (and a 36% boost, if I recall). Building the breech factory was annoying since you immediately replace it with RFCs, but I needed them. After Havre I had RFCs and they took me a long way.

DeletedUser

Was anybody able to take it with CA troops? I haven't tried yet so I was wondering. I've got a 42% boost.

DeletedUser2145

I haven't tried but I imagine it would be hard to take any PE province using CA troops. With IndA you still have Jaegers who not only hide in forest terrain but still have a firing range, while in CA those same units are not only weaker but are also melee. Instead of the IndA Howitzers who have a range and can ignore the hiding ability of other units you have Grenadiers who only fire a square away.

The stats for all units in general from PE to CA drop significantly. You could likely still do some battles if you have a huge boost (60-90%) but even then you'd likely suffer big losses. Against a player it's not hard if you just have Rogues (I have battled PE players with CA units with 36% boost), but on the map that tactic doesn't fly so it definitely would be difficult.

jlshetler

Thank you all--this is very helpful. I hadn’t even realized that the map scale had changed to 1.5.

The consensus seems to be an army of (eight?) rapid fire cannons to take the first part of the continent. What is the best tactic for using them in these battles?

Down the road it sounds like tanks are an important addition. Will it also be necessary to build snipers and conscripts, or will RFCs and tanks get me through the age?

-Joe

DeletedUser8152

With just RFCs, you have trouble with conscripts and snipers. I used cars to handle them, but tanks are better in general. Conscripts can still give you a little trouble, that's where snipers help.

jlshetler

Can the whole continent be had with just a combo of RFCs and tanks? These PE military buildings are big, and I'm wanting to put up as few as possible.

DeletedUser2145

It would depend on your military boost. If you have at least an average one, then yes the whole continent would be possible. With no boost at all, I do believe some areas will be rather hard --- for example if you come across 8 Conscripts, neither RFCs nor tanks are a suitable army. You could still win with tanks, but only if you play out the battle really well and even then you'd suffer big losses.

DeletedUser8152

As Phantom says, and the last province has a lot of boosted conscripts in favorable terrain for them.

jlshetler

Phantom, jaelis, and Bruic-

This information is very helpful, thank you.

From InA I have two Jaeger Encampments, two Riflemen Ranges, and one Breech Loader Factory. These plus my 36% military boost were quite sufficient to conquer the InA continent and most of the InA bonus areas, leaving only a few sectors to negotiate. Plus it has now won me Havre, Uxrow, and a sector of Omolen on the PE continent.

It sounds like I need to replace my Breech Loader Factory with an Ordinance Factory (two?) and my Riflemen Ranges with two Tank Factories. Should I keep my jaegers for a while? When it comes to the last few sectors with eight conscripts, what is
the correct army to put up against them, or should I just negotiate?

Thanks,
Joe

DeletedUser10266

Snipers imo are worth the investment both for PE and ME. Tanks aren't bad but are actually vulnerable to both rfc and conscripts which is difficult in the later provinces. Jaegers aren't bad since they stealth but be warned even 1 sniper will give you a challenge.