• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Military strategy for conquering the PME continent

jlshetler

I am hoping to get some PME military advice, to follow up on the excellent advice I have gotten from Forum members in the past, especially PhantomForger, jaelis, Traxxed, and Bruic.

Past threads:
http://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/...tary-strategy-for-conquering-the-PE-Continent

http://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/...tary-Advice-Request&highlight=modern+strategy

I have a 57% attack and defense boost from my GBs. I don’t PvP or GvG, so I keep just enough military to conquer the continents easily without needing to negotiate. My three questions for PME are:

(1) How far will I be able to get with ME units? Will most of the continent have to wait until I can train PME units?
(2) If I’m just going to use two PME unit types, which two should I use?
(3) What is the best strategy to deal with the new multi-wave defenses of the PME continent?

Again, many thanks to the experienced fighters for sharing their expertise.

-Joe
jlshetler, Houndsmoor

DeletedUser

I just started the PME map recently as well so I will jump in. You say you have a 57% attack and ME units now? I think you will be fine for the most part, I am at 72% myself and have easily walked through half of the PME map with only PE units. So better starting attributes for ME with less boost compared to units at PE with higher % is about a wash in my book. Now I have started to run into some issues on some provinces, mostly where the actual PME units start. Most of this is due to rotation of attack and some range of the higher aged units, not particularly what units or my boosts. Since my units are all older aged they go last in the attack sequence, you will also have better luck ith this since you have ME units.

Now If you were to get PME units I would go with Heavies, Ranged and Art. They always seem to do the trick for me in any age. Especially if you have rogues...

The best strategy for the double wave is to try to match up your units best you can with both waves, only setting yourself up for one wave can be critical. If wave one has say 2 ME Paratroopers, 2 ME Tanks, 1 ME Fast and 1 ME Light then Wave 2 has 2 ME Art., 2 ME Tanks and 1 Paratrooper your best units of any age ME or PME in my opinion would be something like 2 ME/PME Tanks, 2ME/PME Ranged, 3 ME/PME Art. and 1 Rogue.

Everything gets changed up a little as well if you have a current age champ/rogues and Alcatraz.. Some will only use rogues and tanks for most battles with a few other mixed units, It always helps the the AI turns Rogues first it is only a good thing if you have both..

DeletedUser10266

1. I believe the first few provinces are a mix of ages for troops so me troops should be ok for a bit.

2. I personally preferred commandos and rocket artillery. All the pme troops have their advantages though so having a mix of all of them can come in handy. You are going to want to have some machine gun teams for the heavy commando areas since they always retaliate even when commandos hide.

3. Trial and error. Generally try to get past the first wave with minimal damage but don't put yourself at a disadvantage to do so. Using the same type of troops as the enemy may be your best choice for wave 1 if it gives you the advantage on wave 2.

Hope this helps.

jlshetler

Thanks for these thoughts, all. If just doing two units, for the purposes of the PME continent only, would it be better to do Universal Tank and Commander, or Universal Tank and MG Team?
-Joe

DeletedUser9184

I was thinking more of Universal Tanks and IFVs (those tanks do good against IFVs, MG Teams, and itself, and the IFVs do good against the rest)

DeletedUser9732

A little late to the party, but I'll throw out what my experience was:

1) With ME troops (and 57% boost) I was able to get through around half the PME map before it was too difficult to reliably win.
2) Picking just 2 troops, I'm not sure. Definitely tanks. I used machine guns, rocket art, and tanks for my run through, but I don't know what I'd do cutting it down to 2. The IFVs suggested sounds like a decent alternative though.
3) Try to minimize damage/losses in the first wave or the second will be impossible. Rogues can be helpful for that, and troop selection is pretty important, although less so with only 2 types to work with. As Bruic noted, trial and error plays a part, and there was more than a few times that surrendering near the end of the first wave and trying a different mix was the best outcome.

DeletedUser9184

I don't know about rogues. Only the last province in the PME map uses the PvP AI, so they won't be targeted first in any other case

jlshetler

I've just made it to the final PME province and will need to re-strategize. The Universal Tank / IFV combo has worked great to this point, but now I'm facing sectors with 16 Commandos and MG Teams and I'm getting torn to pieces. The negotiating costs to buy the province are too high for me to consider. Can anybody suggest a revised military strategy that would work? Perhaps replace my IFVs with Commandos, since the terrain in this province is so tree-heavy?
-Joe

DeletedUser9184

I believe Commandos were what I used against the tree-heavy sectors. I believe this province also uses the PvP AI, so I think if you put rogues, the enemy will go for them first (if it can reach them; best to maybe try one or two to test)

jlshetler

I'm afraid I don't have rogues. Maybe there will be a Summer Event this year.

Is there a good second unit to balance Commandos, or are you recommending 8-Commando armies for each of the nine sectors in this province?

Soon I'll need to be asking advice about CE units, I guess...

-Joe

DeletedUser9184

Not for all of the sectors, but definitely the ones that have 8-Commandos for both waves or that mainly consist of (trees,) tanks, rockets, and commandos.

DeletedUser8152

IFVs should be pretty good against commandos. But they are tough in the trees. I actually beat the all commando sector using paratroopers w/o too much trouble, they shot up the commandos before they could take cover. It's the only time I found paratroopers handy :)

DeletedUser10415

I agree. The paratroopers are proving incredibly useful on the PME map. Best to drop 6-8 of them though for maximum first strike effect. Also, if they drop so you can't get them all into forest cover, and there is enough forest to cover them, just surrender and try again. No penalty for that.

DeletedUser8796

Well what i do on the map is basically skip the era til i have the next era troops then go back and beat the map, it works pretty well i ran over my PME map with hoards of AA guns and little losses. It may not be that challenging or exciting but it worked for me.

jlshetler

Paratroopers. That's a clever idea.

I'd hate to wait until I have CE troops because I want the third goods boost on the next continent asap. I'll try Commandos next and see how it goes, and maybe experiment with Paratroopers too...

Thanks all!
-Joe

DeletedUser8163

In my opinion, a mix of IFV & Rocket artillery. Rocket artillery for the MG teams as if you are far enough away they will not retaliate and the IFV will take less damage from the Commando's than UT's. For example: if there are 2 MG's and 6 Commando's I would use 2 Rocket artillery and 6 IFV. Keep your IFV's close for the initial attack and let the Commando's come to you. Then use the Rocket artillery to strike the MG's on their first attack. Then, the second attack you can use all IFV's to strike each Commando to get them all damaged. Once damaged, they will do little damage to your IFV's. Use the Rocket only for the MG's until they are gone. I have quit a bit more attack/defense but this worked well for me.

DeletedUser13452

I've just made it to the final PME province and will need to re-strategize. The Universal Tank / IFV combo has worked great to this point, but now I'm facing sectors with 16 Commandos and MG Teams and I'm getting torn to pieces. The negotiating costs to buy the province are too high for me to consider. Can anybody suggest a revised military strategy that would work? Perhaps replace my IFVs with Commandos, since the terrain in this province is so tree-heavy?
-Joe
I'm experiencing just about the same thing...very tough to get through this.

DeletedUser13838

As noted earlier in the thread, the last PME province should be using the pvp AI (ie attack rogues 1st) so use 7 rogues plus an mg team to absorb 7 attacks and get 7 free attacks at the same time. I don't remember what I used as I didn;t have any mg team at the time but it shouldn't matter too much if you have 7 rogues.