• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Military strategy for conquering the Tomorrow continent

jlshetler

Four times I have asked advice on this forum about strategies for attacking the new continents, and you have always had excellent advice. I am especially grateful to PhantomForger, jaelis, Traxxed, Bruic, UrbanLegendZ, ByeOrDie, Glarg, rugalo, and gwalchmai. Hopefully others have found those discussions useful as well. Here are the links again:

PE:
http://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/...tary-strategy-for-conquering-the-PE-Continent

ME:
http://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?8585-ME-Military-Advice-Request

PME:
http://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/...ary-strategy-for-conquering-the-PME-continent

CE:
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...tary-strategy-for-conquering-the-CE-continent

Now that I have uncovered the Tomorrow continent, I am hoping for some good advice a fifth and final time. These are my specific questions, but I appreciate any insights our experienced fighters have:

(1) Will it be possible to conquer the first few provinces (to the new goods boost) with CE military units, and if so, which CE military units are best? (I was able to conquer the CE continent with a combination of Anti-Aircraft Vehicles and Assault Tanks.)

(2) If I were to keep only two military units from Tomorrow, which are the best two for conquering the continent with ease? (For this discussion, please disregard which might be better for GvG or PvP; focusing on the continent here so that I don’t have to spend goods to negotiate.)

(3) Are Rogues useful in any of the Tomorrow continent provinces? (They were useful in the final PME province, but none of the CE provinces.)

(4) What are the best tactics for approaching the new continent terrain?

Again, many thanks to all willing to lend their expertise.

-Joe
jlshetler, Houndsmoor

DeletedUser4844

Thank you for the acknowledgement. :)

On both A and C world I conquered everything but about the last 6 or 7 sectors of the final province of the Tomorrow Era continent with combinations of 6 or 7 rogues and the remainder either AA guns (CE units) or stealth tanks (TE units). Generally it was easier (and fewer losses) with the stealth tanks. Note that I had 30 levels of Attack GBs (Zues, Aachen, CdM) on C world, and 29 levels on B world, so if you don't have a lot of attack bonus it may be much harder or impossible, but then, I'd hardly hold myself up as an expert on fighting in this game.

If you do use rogues and AAs, make sure you let the rogues move ahead for the first turn or two while the AAs hang back, especially in the first wave, where if the non-rogue troops die there is no point in fighting the second wave. The continent AI (unlike the AI for when we defend our own cities) will prioritize non-rogue troops over rogues if both are in range at the start of the turn or when done moving. This is not nearly as much of an issue with stealth tanks. Make sure, if using stealth tanks/rogues to have everything always end their move on a plains square so they are hidden. AI will always shoot once at the non-hidden rogues, they will transform, and be hidden, and other units will leave them alone if they can't get adjacent to them to attack. The one exception is the microwave blaster/artillery units, which see right through stealth, get good bonuses against heavy units, and nerf the damage output of the unit they hit. Focus all efforts on killing those microwave blasters ASAP no matter what you have to do to get them.

DeletedUser9184

Gwalchmai pretty much just hit all of the points I wanted to get across :) so all I have left is to answer question #4 which is to stick to the plains as both stealth tanks and A-Air depend on it for their bonus. Also note unlike the last age, many units have a greater range than 7, so the A-Air's Contact bonus may not work all the time (i.e. Combat Drones could hit you during the first move and you wouldn't retaliate since it's out of the unit's range).

Since we are mainly depending on stealth tanks here, a back-up unit that comes to mind would be the Microwave Blasters which would be great against any defense consisting of many stealth tanks (and/or Microwave Blasters and/or AM Snipers). Note this unit has a Blast ability, so if you aren't guaranteed at least 5 damage, get closer to the unit to make use of its ability (but not directly next to it if it can retaliate ;)) Also note that it's an artillery unit, so if the enemy has one combat drone or attack helicopter, you will be helpless if you don't have any other unit that can kill it.

DeletedUser8152

Have to say I'm finding the final province of TE a decent challenge. A wave of tanks followed by a wave of APs is interesting :)

jlshetler

Some great info here, thanks. It sounds like I definitely need to build Stealth Tanks, and that I will be able to get a little ways in with my CE AAVs. Rogues are useful but tricky to use.

I'm hearing less consensus about a second TE military type to use. What are everyone's thoughts on the Anti-Materiel Sniper and the Ultra AP?

-Joe

DeletedUser4844

I had to do the last half or so of the last province by negotiating for it. Maybe, given time, and a lot of troop losses, and luck, I could have figured out a winning strategy, but I had the goods, and it was just 6-7 territories.

Sorry, jlshetler, I really didn't use the other units of TE much at all, so can't tell you how they would do on the continent map. My wild guess about microwave blastsers, though, is that they may be good against tanks, but would be too vulnerable to some of the other units, and with two waves you are never going to get only tanks on both waves, and at least one wave will have majority non-tanks.

DeletedUser9184

I'm hearing less consensus about a second TE military type to use. What are everyone's thoughts on the Anti-Materiel Sniper and the Ultra AP?

-Joe
Matters on the situation, but most of the time they aren't the best. Could never find a good time to use the AM snipers, and I was done with the map before I could use the Ultra AP that much.
I know the AM snipers are weakest against tanks, weak against blasters, only average against combat drones (as they will easily be taken down by any unit, but on the defense side, AM snipers take the least damage after stealth tanks), and great against Ultra AP (due to its defense against it). Note A-Air would be a better option against tanks and AP just because of its Contact bonus though.
I'm not a fan of starting on a random battlefield hex and with the low movement and range, the Ultra AP can due poorly at random times due to you not even reaching the units on your first turn. That being said, they can take out any unit easily except for AM snipers (if you reach any of them of course), but they can also die just as easily except for against stealth tanks (and with that contact bonus, it is a mighty useful advantage).

DeletedUser8152

I'd say the second good unit in TE is champions. (Either that or AAVs :))

Last edited by a moderator:

jlshetler

Excellent advice here. I agree: the nice thing about the AAV is that it has the Contact attribute without starting on a random hex. Let the enemy come to you and take damage for doing so. I'm glad to hear that I will enjoy continuing to use them into the TE continent as well. The Stealth Tanks sound like a nice backup to them. I'll expect to spend some goods on (some sectors of) the final province, unless Future comes out early enough.

DeletedUser8152

AAV also has longer range... APs are kind of limited because most units (other than stealth tanks, importantly) can just shoot from out of range and avoid contact.

That said, drones, blasters, and snipers also have longer range than AAVs, so they aren't as awesome as they are against CE units.

DeletedUser17558

So far I have done most of TE with just 8 Strike Teams. I usually take out everyone in the first wave without losing anyone and then lose very few on the second.

DeletedUser8152

So far I have done most of TE with just 8 Strike Teams. I usually take out everyone in the first wave without losing anyone and then lose very few on the second.
How far did you get? I used the same strategy for a lot of it. But it really only works because the first wave is often small. When it got big it stopped working.

DeletedUser17558

How far did you get? I used the same strategy for a lot of it. But it really only works because the first wave is often small. When it got big it stopped working.

I am currently on my 11th sector with no issues. I do have a 130/90 attack, so that helps.

DeletedUser9732

Lots of good advice in here. CE AAVs do continue to be great, and stealth tanks are also pretty nice. I also experimented with blasters and snipers, but with limited success. The 8 strike team option is useful for sectors with lots of heavy/art, especially in the early provinces.

The last province though, I got frustrated quick and negotiated most/all of it when one of the event questlines rolled in. But my boost was a bit less than most of what I'm seeing in here, something like 70/66.

DeletedUser9184

What is the group's view of the TE Champion? It is a heavy unit as in CE, yes?
-Joe
Yes, I would definitely say it's the best all-around unit in the TE (can take about any defense), but the negative is just that you will mainly lose a lot of points in battle when using it (around 15-20% less).

*Arturis*

Done the TE map with 2 stealth tanks and 6 rogues. 120-120 bonus. CE units you can use in TE map is 8 striketeams. Best TE units I found are stealth tank and rogues for offense, champs for defense, loser defense is 8 blasters which can be beaten by just 1 chopper or combat drone regardless of the defense/offense bonus.

Last edited:

Chaskamn

Does anyone else have this issue- Is it known or a bug?

I have tried attacks using my Ultra AP's. I have yet to see them use the 'contact' skill. My anti-aircraft units work better than the Ultra AP.