• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Modern Era Troops question

Lankybrit

Hi,

I recently moved to the Modern Era. I have the ability to build all troop buildings, but I'd like to build only 3 and save space by not building 2. I have the Traz, so getting units for the ones I build will be no issue at all. I'm thinking of keeping the Battle Tank, Mech Artillery, and Paratrooper, and skipping Mech Infantry and Bazooka Team. Does that sound like a reasonable idea?

Thanks.

Mustapha00

I recently made that same move on one of the worlds on which I play.

I am probably not the best source to tap with this question, as I generally Brute Force GE using almost solely Heavy units, relying on my ATT bonus to win the day (and knowing when to switch to Negotiating when it no longer can).

Being that I only recently switched over and unlocked Techs to the point that I have Modern Armor, I'm still using Progressive Age Tanks to batter my way through GE. It works just fine for all of state I and II and perhaps the first four encounters of stage III. My ATT bonus is a bit over 200%, which isn't all that high, but it gets the job done. I haven't built up enough Modern Armor units yet to switch to those, but I would anticipate it being easier once I do.

I certainly would build the Modern Tank Barracks and I can see building the Mechanized Artillery one, but I've never seen any use for Paratroopers. Maybe they have a use of which I am unaware, but, to my mind, three Barracks means that you're stretching that Alcatraz rather thin (much depends, of course, on what level it is).

Goth Almighty

I believe military buildings, except for rogue hideouts, are the least important development of space in your city. IMO, the best utilization of space is one that produces fps, goods, supplies, coins and rogues, in that order. Another way to put it, is to build GBs (especially the Traz, Zeus, CoA and CdM), event bldgs and goods' bldgs before building any military bldgs. My city on East-Nagatch is in the Oceanic Era and produces 450 fps and 33 rogues (from my Traz) per day. I also have 4 rogue hideouts (remember, you must have at least one military bldg in order for your Traz to produce any units at all). My view is based on the knowledge that space is always going to be at a premium in your city and fps and goods will always be in demand. Once you have satisfied these requirements, you can build your military bldgs. NB: what I have recommended should be taken as a general policy. If you keep that in mind, you should be able to find room for at least one military bldg per age. The problem is that the military bldg for the best units in every age is the last one available in the tech tree. So, by the time you've unlocked it, you're ready to move on to the next age. Good luck, enjoy yourself and and don't forget it's just a game!

Lankybrit

Thanks Goth. I have got tons of FP producing, and about 10 GBs and lots of Special Buildings.

Pest: Paratrooper complements the Tank/Artillery better than Bazooka IMHO. Paras get bonuses against Light and Artillery. Bazookas against Heavy and Artillery. Heavy is covered by the Mech Artillery.

Wwwoodchuck

I battled with the Heavy tank and bazooka teams. Nothing else unless I just needed fodder, then I would throw in 8 of the others and hit Auto just to use them up. I never got the hang of the Paratroopers with them just plopping down randomly on the field.

Beorn Bear

Thanks Goth. I have got tons of FP producing, and about 10 GBs and lots of Special Buildings.

Pest: Paratrooper complements the Tank/Artillery better than Bazooka IMHO. Paras get bonuses against Light and Artillery. Bazookas against Heavy and Artillery. Heavy is covered by the Mech Artillery.
Since you have a Traz, troops complementing each other isn't really a factor. Tank or Bazooka with 7 Rogues is probably the best lineup. Back in the days before the Rogue explosion, Mech Infantry served very well as the go-to unit my first time through Modern Era. You can't use Paratroopers with 7 Rogues, because you would lose every time. And Artillery is a niche unit in almost every age, useful against very specific enemy lineups, but only if you felt the desire to battle manually. The exception, in my experience, would be the Rail Gun in Future Era. It can be used with 7 Rogues against any enemy army with 4 or more Hover Tanks or Stealth Tanks, but that's because it can hit flying units, unlike most artillery units.

Lankybrit

Thanks all. I'm an Auto battler, and I've found that the computer doesn't do well with Paratroopers. I will go with Bazookas instead. Another quick question. Should I get rid of my Drummer Camp, which, although it provides a combat bonus, is diluting the units I get from Traz?

DeletedUser

Any troops that drop in are horrid for autobattle. Tanks and Bazookas served me well , use the hide skill of the Bazooka or it's really weak. Tanks are good ABers. GE will be your freind for the remaining units

Tytan the Great

Thanks all. I'm an Auto battler, and I've found that the computer doesn't do well with Paratroopers. I will go with Bazookas instead. Another quick question. Should I get rid of my Drummer Camp, which, although it provides a combat bonus, is diluting the units I get from Traz?
1000%. Do you even use drummer if you are already in Modern? The attacking bonus is only 4% if I remember correctly. You can easily make that up with something else much more space efficient, or just level up your Zeus a few levels.

CommanderCool1234

Do the math the extra 4% extra attack is not worth the space + the fact that you are getting weaker units from your traz, wich makes the 4% boost not worth it.