1. GvG Improvements Update

Hello Queens and Kings,
    First up, we wanted to thank you once again for taking the time to continue to contribute your feedback on the upcoming changes to Forge of Empires, especially in relation to Guild Battlegrounds.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Cultural Settlement - Feudal Japan

Arising from the Sengoku period of Feudal Japan, the clan of Akechi Mitsuhide has requested your help.
    As the Daimyo of his village, it is your task to lead the Feudal Japan to prosperity! Detailed information here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Changelog 1.157

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.157 will take place on Wed, July 24, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Musical instruments and models

Discussion in 'Art Museum' started by Red Knight of Vienna, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Al Hanuman

Al Hanuman New Member

I do not play an instrument, although I remember my great uncle (a Master of Fox Hounds) challenging me to play a hunting horn. It surprised him when I did make a sound come out of it...sort of resembling a despondent beagle ;). I can draw at the draftsman level, electronically. When I founded Der Meistersingers' Guild I was very annoyed to discover that the only emblem resembling a musical instrument was a similar horn...Definitely NOT suited for a singing performer. So in hopes of gaining sufficient privileges to post them to Proposals, I am attaching some examples of ones a singer can play, here.
    Tambor10.png Lute10.png KinnorDavid10.png Harp.png RandyJackson10.png Concertina10.png

2. HtebazilEAB

HtebazilEAB Active Member

I play the piano and the flute (a little) and I also sing soprano which, for those of you who might not know, is those really high notes!

Al Hanuman and Super Catanian like this.
  3. Super Catanian

Super Catanian Well-Known Member

Very nice. How good are your piano skills, if you don’t mind me asking?

4. HtebazilEAB

HtebazilEAB Active Member

Good enough to play the original Fur Elise and a few others of my favorites, but not enough to play professionally, though I do have friends that play in orchestras.

Super Catanian likes this.
  5. UBERhelp1

UBERhelp1 Well-Known Member

I used to play piano years ago.... but I just didn't have the time/patience to keep up with it and dropped it after 8-10 years of playing. Now I can barely play a song without music. (I used to have 'em memorized. Those were the good old days. Just sitting down and playing a bunch of songs from memory. ) And even with sheet music, I've lost most of my really good sightreading ability that comes in handy when playing more complicated songs.

I might pick it up again someday... who knows?

6. Super Catanian

I can't sight read, yet! Sort of, depends on how slow the pieces are.
    I can play Chopin's Nocturne No. 2, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (1st movement), and Mozart's Turkish March all from memory. I never took the time to learn that one bit in Fur Elise (the first one, not that hard bit). I am learning La Campanella by Liszt (with INSANE jumps; Liszt had massive hands), and Mozart's Twelve Variations in C (basically Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but WAY more elite).

Been playing for almost 5 years, starting when I was 11 years of age. Never took actual lessons. Very interesting story on how I learned it, and pretty long, too...

My first experience in music was in my school's orchestra, where I learned how to play the violin (and luckily, I still remember how to play). This is where I learned how to read sheet music, and all that fancy stuff.
    There was a piano in the orchestra room, and I was fascinated! I told myself I wanted to learn the piano.
    On my tablet, I got a piano app, which was just the keyboard so I could fool around on it. I somehow developed perfect pitch while I was in the orchestra, and after trial and error, I learned the first bit of Fur Elise.
    I liked it so much that I got a cheap electric keyboard for $80. After searching for videos on how to play that piece, I practiced a lot. And I mean a lot. I eventually learned the majority of it.
    I played for more time, printing sheet music occasionally, and getting better and better.

EDIT: I might record myself playing something and upload it here.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    UBERhelp1 likes this.
  7. UBERhelp1

UBERhelp1 Well-Known Member

Nice! For me, I got into it in kindergarten, when I literally came home and said "I want to do piano." My parents were just like 'ok' and off I went! Played all the way through seventh or eighth grade.
    So, in seventh grade the school play was western themed, and I was cast as the saloon piano player.... well guess what? There was a song that took place in the saloon and they knew I played piano, so I played that song! It was like 4 pages long and the piano was waaaay too high up compared to my seat height, but that was one of the best things ever.

Also, I went through piano teachers. 5 was the total, I think, with 3 of them being traditional and the other two being this other method where you learn to play before read.... ah. Good memories. I really should pick piano back up again. I might start looking into it. On my own, not lessons, but idk. We'll see what happens.

8. Super Catanian

Very nice!! I played for my school's talent show, surprisingly also in the seventh grade, playing Turkish March, which I had memorized in the summer (this was when watching Synthesia videos was my main way of learning).
    Also, somewhat recently, I played in a competition (it was a post on my profile), in which I had a month to learn the piece (3 pages, and I had already known the first page from before), but had procrastinated until the last week to learn the other two pages.
    It sucks that nowadays, modern piano pieces are very similar to each other and are very simplistic, not to mention that it is used mainly for beats rather than the melody (don't know if you've heard of the term "4-chord pop song in the key of C").
    This one kid in my class right now wants me to teach him the piano, so I accepted. He immediately wants to jump in straight to the Moonlight Sonata (which, for context, is of medium difficulty because of its length and memorization required to learn it).
    The next week, he calls me up to the practice room, tells me that he's "been working on this song", and proceeds to mash random black keys.
    This dude, not only calls it a "song" (IT'S A PIECE, YA UNCULTURED SWINE), but doesn't even know how to play scales and dares call himself a composer!

UBERhelp1 likes this.
  9. Graviton

Graviton Well-Known Member

I found a brief clip of my band Greta Speaks playing in downtown Indianapolis back in 2012 when the city hosted the Super Bowl. I'm the guy with the bass in the Colts hat on the far left.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Al Hanuman

Al Hanuman New Member

Ya gotta understand that people were stringing together notes 2½ thousand years ago in Aeolia, Greece. Even if it is only a "piece" it qualifies as a composition. Now all he has to do is fit lyrics to the notes, even "la-la-la-la" will do, and he will have a song. You can teach him about chords and four-part harmony later.
    Please be careful to shape his zeal and talent. Do not, I beg you, force him into a mold of your choosing. Salt in some of the technical methods and jargon along the way, and suggest more appropriate pieces to learn whenever he "hits the wall" on Moonlight Sonata, or whatever the latest overreach happens to be.
    Most important of all, acknowledge him (and in the back of your mind, yourself) whenever progress is made. This is when both master and student win!

11. Stephen Longshanks

Stephen Longshanks Forum Moderator

With all due respect, this is participation award hogwash. If he was a prodigy (which is extremely rare) you might...might have a point. But to take this approach with the average student or worse yet someone who shows no sign of innate talent is just setting them up for failure. All these reality talent shows are full of people who were "encouraged" and "affirmed" by people with your outlook, and then savaged by the show judges when their lack of actual training and/or talent is exposed to the harsh light of reality.

12. Super Catanian

I am not trying to fit him into any mold. I know what progress is. For the past weeks, he has insisted on learning how to play the Moonlight Sonata, and I kept obliging, despite telling him that he should focus on easier pieces. The result? He still can’t even play the first measure correctly, although I will acknowledge that he knows the actual notes for that measure. That I can praise him for. I can’t praise him for the fact that the notes are still off-beat, his fingers are still stiff, wrists not relaxed the way they are supposed to, and notes played are way too accented. Also he can’t really hit octaves well (in the pianist community, that would confine you to the easiest of pieces), whereas I can reach 10ths on the keyboard (in short, my hands are bigger and much more flexible. Perhaps the phrase “born a natural” is true).

Quoting @Stephen Longshanks above, I don’t want to set up this dude for failure. If he can’t play the piano due to his extreme lack of finger dexterity (which I greatly possess, qualifying me as a prodigy, I guess...), at least he has a great voice. Now that indeed I can praise him for.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  13. Godly Luke

Godly Luke Well-Known Member

I play tenor trombone, f trombone, and soon bass trombone.