• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Musical instruments and models

• Thread starter Red Knight of Vienna
  • Start date

PJS299

This section of the forum died…
But anyway: I play the *Sopranino Saxophone, Soprano Sax, Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, Bari Sax, Bass Sax, Contrabass Sax, all the Clarinets which I don't feel like typing out, Piano, and the Ukulele. I am currently learning Guitar, Violin, and Trumpet. I also sing tenor in a local choir.

*Once you learn one woodwind, it's east to learn all the rest. But I have no interest in learning the flute or oboe. I like the saxophones and clarinets. I plan on learning the Bassoon at some point, but not right now.

I don't know why I typed out all the saxophones…

Sharmon the Impaler

20 years playing the Electric Guitar for better to hear. The bad part is that I go through a guitar every 2 to 3 years from wearing the fret down. So, I have to keep buying cheap ones. Never played in bands. Mega stage freight.
Like to tune out, crank up the 100w per channel amp at max. Stand in front of 4 big old 300w, 10in speakers. Lister for that humming to get lower as it warm up (It take about 2 min). I start jamming like Godsmack, Pantera, Blackflag, even ACDC until everything is off the walls and shelves. Things would be dancing around the floor as it vibrates. After about 2 hours. I start getting in that zone of brainwash high where there nothing running in my head. I began to play like Jimi, Stevie Ray and Santana. After about 2 hours of that. I shut everything down, walk out of a 10x10 room, sit down at my desk with a cup of coffee and a cigarette. Wife would be saying something, but I couldn't hear her.
I play guitar and you are not even describing actual musical instruments. I have 5 guitars and have never worn the frets completely down on any of them in over 30 years of playing. A 200W tube amp supplying a 4 X 10 cab with 300w speakers in it? Doesn't happen and doesn't exist. I have a 120 watt Soldano head with a 4 X 12 cab with 25W Celestions in it. You must buy your stuff from outer space because they don't make it here. A two stage amp warms up in about a minute and the humming doesn't happen until you take it out of standby , even then a gate before the pre-amp fixes most of the hum even with single coils as long as they are decent quality and properly shielded. You lie like a cheap rug dude.

Last edited:

Sharmon the Impaler

A tech question for guitar players that build too. Would you have the formula for calculating the string to signal lag ? Condition of start being at the exact moment the string is released from a known deflection from it's rest position. .50 nickel wound and directly over the center of the pole , deflection is perpendicular to the face of the pole end so it can be reduced to 2D motion for simplicity. Lag is time of start of string moving through the magnetic field / time first signal is detected on pick up lead.

Sharmon the Impaler

That is the original sheet music to Sound of Silence but Simon and Garfunkle had a hard time recording it so they add words and music to it. Very ironic it was :)