• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Musical Questions: 50s, 60s, 70s Edition

• Thread starter Stephen Longshanks
  • Start date

DeletedUser

This is for us old geezers. (Is there an equivalent term for females?) Post a favorite musical question from a song of the 1950s, 1960s or 1970s, along with the name of the song (if the musical question isn't it) and the artist, and any other fun or interesting information about it you would like to share. I will get it rolling.

Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On the Bedpost Overnight)? (Also title of song.)
Artist: Lonnie Donegan

Lonnie Donegan was married 3 times and had 7 children, at least 2 by each wife.

DeletedUser28099

Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On the Bedpost Overnight)? (Also title of song.)
Artist: Lonnie Donegan

Oh, you have touched on a topic that is dear to my heart. I love Lonnie Donegan's version, but you hopefully know that the song did not originate with him; it's a vaudeville favorite going back to the early days of recorded music (and probably before that). I have in my extensive MP3 collection from the days of wax cylinders and 78RPMs the first recording, by Billy Jones and Ernest Hare (aka "The Happiness Boys") in 1924. Here ya go...

DeletedUser28099

For my own contribution, I direct your attention to the flamboyant Jerry Colonna, who asks...

Question/Song: Why Oh Why Did I Ever Leave Wyoming?
Artist: Jerry Colonna
Year: 1946

The interesting factoid about this song is that it was written (but not recorded) by Morey Amsterdam, better known to television fans as Buddy Sorrell on The Dick Van Dyke Show. Amsterdam was so quick to think up a joke instantly on any topic that he earned the nickname "The Human Joke Machine."

DeletedUser

Excellent contributions! Thanks for that recording. I loved the Dick Van Dyke Show. In my opinion, it may be the best sitcom ever to grace the small screen, and Morey Amsterdam and Rose Marie are a big part of why I think so.

DeletedUser29295

The Patsy Cline hit "Why Can't He be You" was a "filler" song on the B-Side of the vinyl "Heartaches" that topped out at #7 on the Billboard Top 100 in 1962. It was written by Hank Cochran, and was covered by Loretta Lynn in 1976 on a tribute album to Patsy Cline.

DeletedUser

I love Patsy Cline's songs.

There was a song by Johnnie Taylor in 1968 called "Who's Making Love". The entire line in the song is, "Who's making love to your old lady, while you were out making love?"

DeletedUser29295

The Johnny Cash hit "Doesn't Anybody Know My Name" was written as a lamentation of the world going from trains to automobiles. It was saddening to him that people gave up the great rails to be in "private boxes". However, it was origionally written by Rod McKuen andd titled: "Two-Ten, Six-Eighteen". About the passage of time for a soldier returning from some war and not knowing what has happened in the short time he was gone. The Kingston Trio recorded the song in 1963, and shortened some lyricsand the title to fit better. Waylon Jennings, Vince Hill and The Stonemans are just a few more who have done a cover. Find it on YouTube and give it a listen to, if you never have.