• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] My Friends

DeletedUser34548

Friends are even more important than I thought. Perhaps other newcomers will find some basic info useful. None of this was clear when I began play.

Neighbors come and go... at Inno's whim. You gain guildmates when you join their guild... and lose them when you leave. Friends are more durable. You may ask neighbors and guildmates to be your friends; they may ask you. You are limited to 80 friends; this includes outstanding friend requests.

Working with others is a key element of FoE. While the lone wolf may have a challenge in other games, I don't see he has any chance of progress here.

Aid everyone possible, daily. It would be better to visit your fellow player and motivate or polish directly but unless you know each of his buildings and understand his needs, he gains little over Aid. The Aid button motivates or polishes to a simple plan; it is not random. Aid is much faster than visitation. This counts when you have 200 neighbors, guildmates, and friends.

I'd rather you hit Aid on me daily, than you spent so much time thinking about which of my items to M/P that you skipped me when your teakettle whistled.

Aid gives you a few coins and, rarely, a blueprint... scarce and valuable. Aid gives the aided player many small benefits which add up to a big edge. So it's good for both, even if you are merely neighbors.

Why friends, then? As above, friends remain while neighborhoods change and you try out other guilds. But the big plus is the Friends Tavern.

You can sit only in Taverns of friends, not those of neighbors or guildmates (unless they are also friends). Only friends can sit in your Tavern.

When Alice sits in Bob's Tavern, Bob gets silver. Silver is yet another ingame currency; it does not interconvert with coins, supplies, goods, forge points, florins, etc. Silver can only be spent in the Tavern on upgrades or on boosts: powerful tools you're wise to study. You want those boosts available so you want silver.

At first, it seems Alice gives without getting. (I found it confusing to sit at table with neither meat nor drink whilst mine host profits.) But although Bob earns 50 silver, it costs Alice nothing. Alice has her own Tavern, she has a chance of getting some silver when sitting at Bob's; and it's still free. The payoff is when Bob returns the favor.

There are four classes of upgrade you can make on your Tavern, all paid for in silver. Table/chairs make it possible for more to sit at once. Trays improve your take per patron. Tablecloths give your sitting friends a chance at forge points. Floors improve your kickback when at others' Taverns.

Friends stay seated until you collect; and any benefit comes at once. So it's not rude to put them out as soon as they sit. You get slightly more silver per friend at a full table than you do if you collect often... but it's not a big bonus until you have a large table. Large tables themselves also increase the take, with or without more chairs. So there's some benefit to more chairs... and you needn't collect so often.

Tray upgrades are on the same order; you get a small silver bonus and friends get nothing. Floor upgrades also give your Tavern patrons nothing except to look at.

Tablecloths are another matter. If you're reading this, you know FPs are very valuable. The first tablecloth upgrade gives patrons a 1% chance of a 1 FP kickback. Sounds like not much but over even 50 Tavern calls a day, it's a fair chance at a bump. The finest tablecloth offers 8% for your friends' patronage. This is, however, an expensive item.

Why all this Tavern detail? Look back to the limit on friends. Invite as many neighbors and guildmates as you like... eventually you will hit the limit. Who do you cut?

So far, I have not cut any friends... but I will, soon. When you're new, you want every friend you can get, no matter who. Later, you need those 80 spots filled with people who benefit you the most. Everyone is making the same calculations. There is a complex relationship among Tavern and Aid, given and got; payoffs can be considerable.

I say, just as in real life: The best way to get and keep good friends is to be a good friend. So I put tablecloth upgrades first, and keep plenty of chairs. Meanwhile, I don't skip too many opportunities to Aid and sit with my friends.

When I see a Tavern with a huge, full table, beautiful tray, nice rug, and no tablecloth, I see a future cut. When I drop into an empty seat with good cloth; when I see that same friend is in my Tavern and Aiding me daily; I'll be sure to have a chair free.

Last note: I'm grateful to oldtimers who made friends and room for me in their fine establishments, although I could be of little use. One reason I concentrate on linen is to repay in part their trust. I hope I'm always able, cut as I must, to keep a few chairs for newcomers.

Snarko

80 is not the limit for number of friends, it's the limit for number of invites you can send. 140 is the maximum number of friends you can have (normally).

One thing that can be done to great effect early game is sending friend requests to people much higher ranked and advanced than you are. Just make sure they are active. You can check this by either looking them up on foestats.com or checking if their tavern is full. If it's full either check back a bit later or check someone else. Aiding them can get you a head start on blueprints from more advanced eras and you have a better chance of getting FP from their already developed taverns.

Tavern: it is always best to start with getting more chairs. 8-10 chairs is a good start (with perhaps a cloth upgrade somewhere in there).

Eventually you should reach a point where you get more tavern silver than you spend. If you collect a couple times a day you should reach this point before your tavern is fully upgraded. At that point you can start regularly spending your tavern silver, only slowly upgrading the tavern. (Do upgrade table cloth)

DeletedUser34548

80 is not the limit for number of friends, it's the limit for number of invites you can send. 140 is the maximum number of friends you can have (normally).

I'll fix that, thanks. Would you point me to an explanation of how the 140 friend limit can be raised?

Never mind; no authoritative source exists. I've gathered a lot more info and will try to boil it down and work it in.

I'll investigate your foestats and see if it can be linked in without burdening the newcomer. I fear even my brief intro may be too much for some.

I've yet to see anyone fail to add a few chairs. My opinion is, if you don't get good linen on soon, your only lasting friends will be of equally poor quality. You know this; I emphasize it. Took me some time to figure it out.

Any talk of spending silver on anything beyond upgrades is premature, sorry. By the time the newcomer has thrown 5K silver into upgrades, he's looking past my elementary introduction.

Thanks for helping!

Last edited by a moderator:

Snarko

I believe the only way to get around the 140 limit is to invite people into the game. When they join they are automatically added to your friendslist. It's not effective (someone will go inactive eventually anyway) and well beyond anything a new player should worry about.

DeletedUser31592

One thing that can be done to great effect early game is sending friend requests to people much higher ranked and advanced than you are. Just make sure they are active. You can check this by either looking them up on foestats.com or checking if their tavern is full. If it's full either check back a bit later or check someone else. Aiding them can get you a head start on blueprints from more advanced eras and you have a better chance of getting FP from their already developed taverns.

Higher leveled players tend to be picky about table cloths. Once I get the burgundy table cloth, I dump everyone without one (there are sometimes a few exceptions- people I've interacted with or people who like to add to my GBs). Then I add the higher players.

DeletedUser32389

'll fix that, thanks. Would you point me to an explanation of how the 140 friend limit can be raised?
You need to advertise that you have friend slots, and ask people to send you friend invites. That's why it's set up this way. You can send as many invites you want, until you reach 80 friends, then they have to invite you 'till you hit 140. If you have an active guild, and an active friends list, 140 isn't necessary for most people. I keep my list under 80 so I can invite people still, and I'm never want for AID (or tavern visits) I maxed my friends list out and have since pared it down to the 71 +/- I have now. All red table cloths, all Aid every 3 days or better. Most every day, or every other day.

Get on a PC and get on global chat, that's the best way to make friends fast. If you have invites, visit the tavern of a friend that you look up to, or one that you particularly like, and send invites to the people sitting at their tavern. Good people tend to have good friends.

Snarko

Higher leveled players tend to be picky about table cloths. Once I get the burgundy table cloth, I dump everyone without one (there are sometimes a few exceptions- people I've interacted with or people who like to add to my GBs). Then I add the higher players.
That has not been my experience. I have on two servers sent friend requests to higher level people within hours of starting my city. Around 3/4 accepted, some didn't respond and only a very small number declined. I didn't send to very high players, just 1-2m range or so. Perhaps that makes the difference?

Of those who do accept some will expect you to work on your table cloth pretty fast and dump you if you don't. That's why I consider table cloth the second most important (after chairs).

Algona

Random observations on Friends:

Aids given are a great source of Coins and BPs for lower Era players, critical for Bronze Age. Aids given encourage others to Aiid you.

Aids received are critical in three ways, motivating Special Buildings, maximizing Coins and Supplies revenue, and mitigating plundering. Motivated Housing and Supply Buildings produce double and can not be plundered. Useful throughout the Eras, essential in lower Eras and once players start raking in motivatable Special Buildings.

Guildies can be best of friends but make lousy Friends. Each Guildie that is a Friend reduces the Aids you can give and the Aids you receive by 1. Guildies as Friends reduces trade partners and GBs to contribute.to. Don't Friends Guildies. Don;t accept Guildies as Friends.

Before accepting a Friend request or sending a Friend invite check their Tavern, GBs, and city. There are a lot of signs to tell if a player will make a hood Friend. How advanced is their Tavern? Do they produce Goods you might be interested in? Is the city well organized and up to date? What GBs do they have?

When starting upgrading your Tavern do chairs and tablecloth upgrades only. Upgrading chairs increases Silver income speeding the overall upgrade . Upgrading the tablecloth attracts visitors. Alternate between chairs and tablecloths until both are max, then upgrade platter and carpet. There is no more sure sign of a self centered player who will eventually need to be replaced on your Friends list then a player that upgrades carpet and tray first. There;s no better advertising that you will be a good Friend then upgrading your tablecloth.

Tailot your Friends list to your overall strategy and Goals.

As I said random thoguhts, make of them what you will.

----------

I've got no disagreements with your guide, but this could be taken wrong:

Aid everyone possible, daily.

I dig you use the word 'possuble', but new players may not understand.

Between DCs, Events, Story and Side Quests players get a fair amount of tasks regarding Aid and other interactions. A player needs to be careful to balance their goals with such tasks. Nothing quite sp bad as to hit a Quest to win 10 battles after you;ve Aided the hood. Ot Mo/Po 40 Buildings after finishing yout Aid run.

DeletedUser3882

I believe the only way to get around the 140 limit is to invite people into the game.
If you have an active guild, and an active friends list, 140 isn't necessary for most people.
well beyond anything a new player should worry about.

There *was* once a bit of a loophole in the FL and I do not know if it has ever been closed... VERY difficult to do as it takes quite a bit of luck and coordination with a LOT of people to accomplish.

1. Be well below 80 (like 0!)
2. Send out your limit of friend invites, but have none of them accept.
3. Have others send you invites simultaneously, but do not accept.
4. When the numbers are to your liking, accept all en masse. On both sides (sent/received)

I was able to drum up a FL ~300 long (can’t remember exactly, but we’ll over 200). As players inevitably go inactive, accounts are deleted, etc... This slowly whittled down over time.

I attempted this feat once more, and was able to raise it to ~160-180 second go round.

Mind you, this was a number of years ago (and may have been pre-aid button implementation?). Since that second attempt, I have not tried this again, due to the extreme effort/coordination required (by other players, not only yourself) and to repeat....
If you have an active guild, and an active friends list, 140 isn't necessary for most people.
well beyond anything a new player should worry about.

DeletedUser34548

Random observations on Friends:...

I may not agree altogether with all your views but I will try to roll them into my next draft. You are all reminding me how difficult it is to balance newcomer information with newcomer capacity when multiple legitimate views are current.

Algona

I may not agree altogether with all your views but I will try to roll them into my next draft.

It's your Guide. You can use whayever you want or throw the post away. No difference to me.

The only things I ask is that you make darned sure you are giving out accurate information and until you think you got ut right, you might want to move this out of here to another forum and label this as a draft.

DeletedUser34548

... label this as a draft.

I thought it obvious, also this the correct location for works in progress. There is a Best Guides subf, a Pending subf, and the uncategorized ratty stuff. Perhaps I'm wrong. Where would you put this and how should I move it?

Related to location is renaming the thread. I can see now, the contents must be split into two or three posts. Suggestions?

When I study matters where fact and opinion meet, I prefer essays with a mix slanted to grounded opinion. A viewpoint helps provide context. When I write, naturally, I promote my views. But a balance must at least note differences of opinion. So I appreciate hearing yours.

I'm only aware of one factual error currently in the draft and it's slated for correction... likely by shoving the detail into Part 2, since it asks much of the reader. I hope the next draft will improve on the current.

Thanks always for your help.

Algona

I thought it obvious

It's not, The word 'draft' does not appear until post 10. 'Work in progress' post 12.

There is a Best Guides subf, a Pending subf, and the uncategorized ratty stuff. Perhaps I'm wrong. Where would you put this and how should I move it?

That was true when we had mods who cared about Forum organization. With the advent of the official Wiki the mod staff thought that forum Guides no longer needed attention. vetting, or organization.

When a n00b wanders in you never quite know where they will wind up and what they'll read. Post where you want, but if I want something out of the way I use sub forums.

I can see now, the contents must be split into two or three posts. Suggestions?

Start a new thread. Reserve the first bunch of posts for your use. Use what you need to complete the Guide, then delete the unused reserved posts.

When I study matters where fact and opinion meet, I prefer essays with a mix slanted to grounded opinion. A viewpoint helps provide context. When I write, naturally, I promote my views

If you feel a Guide to Friends is a place where your opinion will be important, then you need to establish bona fides. All most readers will ever know about you is what you put in this Guide and when you joined the Forum, You could be one of the top players in the game but how will readers know that?

Last edited:

Freshmeboy

I agree with the OP about daily aid...it's one of the simplest and most important aspects of the game.BUT it's boring..it's time consuming and zero fun. Tough pickles, do it. New players look at their cities and see they need 5 or 10 or 15 motes and can get that through guildies or a few friends and relax on daily aiding after gathering base bps for a couple GBs...much to their dismay. When they want those upper level players with their upper level GBs to be friends that kind of lackadaisical aiding practice will get you cut in a heartbeat. Aid daily, even if it means no tavern sitting because you just don't have the time to do both. You will be thankful in the future and your game will be that much better for it...

DeletedUser31498

Not to confuse noobs, but I might also add in that one should cycle to the fnord RQ before your mo/po run (though more I think of it that's too much of a tangent).

DeletedUser34548

This work must be put on hold while I resolve an issue with Inno.