• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

My name is Farfle and I am a terrible fighter (hello Farfle!)

Farfle the smelly

I need a crash course on how to get better at matching units. Does anybody have a good source for this? I watch videos but they’re usually going way too fast for me to make sense of it. I think my biggest issue is figuring out how fast and heavy math compare to the other units.

I’m in Iron if that helps. I also have several unattached rogues and champs from the event.

I’ve reviewed so many official and unofficial sources, but it’s just not clicking, and I’m getting bored of negotiation all the time.

Help? :-\

Agent327

It's like rock-paper-scissors. Every unit is strong against one unit and weak against the other. Info you need on that you can find on the Wiki. There you have the time to look at it. Next to that, there is the terrain bonus. For some units it is easy to get. For others a lot harder.

Start using GE as a means to learn how to fight. Build up your attack GB's. There is no crash course. With everything in the game, you get better at it in time.

Nicholas002

Here is a schematic of the bonuses.

light>>fast>>ranged>>heavy>>light
artillery is a bit different. it is strong against heavy, but nothing has a bonus against it. it is just weak overall (made up for by its range)
I made an small arrow from fast to artillery, since fast units are the most effective for taking them out.

Untitled.png

hope this helps, and like agent says, practice is the best way to get better!

Farfle the smelly

artillery is a bit different. it is strong against heavy, but nothing has a bonus against it. it is just weak overall (made up for by its range)
I made an small arrow from fast to artillery, since fast units are the most effective for taking them out.

View attachment 16239

That is super helpful actually. I’m quite the visual learner.

Lady Gato

OK but sometimes there are tips/suggestions on HOW to use the troops you pick. For instance - I've been pounding on barbarians. I've learned from tips from fighters in my guild that I need to stay away from them (no up close fighting) and use slingers -- which was successful as long as each barbarian was injured on the same turn. You can't gang up on them because of their last stand bonus. But you got to do it quick before they kill your slingers (which I had bought additional boosts for). It took me several times of trying this and making sure that the slingers were on rocks (for the extra boost) for me to win. So if you have specific armies you are going against, ask some of your guildmates about any tips that might help and practice. :)

Jern2017

View attachment 16239

This is not true in all ages.

Farfle the smelly

OK but sometimes there are tips/suggestions on HOW to use the troops you pick. For instance - I've been pounding on barbarians. I've learned from tips from fighters in my guild that I need to stay away from them (no up close fighting) and use slingers -- which was successful as long as each barbarian was injured on the same turn. You can't gang up on them because of their last stand bonus. But you got to do it quick before they kill your slingers (which I had bought additional boosts for). It took me several times of trying this and making sure that the slingers were on rocks (for the extra boost) for me to win. So if you have specific armies you are going against, ask some of your guildmates about any tips that might help and practice. :)
This is great stuff, Miss Meow. Thank you. I haven’t ever considered terrain. I keep reading about it but then in the moment I’m panicking!

Lady Gato

This is great stuff, Miss Meow. Thank you. I haven’t ever considered terrain. I keep reading about it but then in the moment I’m panicking!
I know about panicking - lol but there isn't a timer on you (that I know of) of when you have to make your moves. It is more like chess. Some terrain gives boosts to attack and other terrain gives boost to defense. You have to know what your guys can do, but if you forget, you can hover over them in the line below where all the units are listed and it will give you their stats and also the other armies stats. Do you also know that if you hover over a unit from the other side that it will show you in a change in color on the map where that unit can move to so you can make sure to not be there?

Farfle the smelly

I know about panicking - lol but there isn't a timer on you (that I know of) of when you have to make your moves. It is more like chess. Some terrain gives boosts to attack and other terrain gives boost to defense. You have to know what your guys can do, but if you forget, you can hover over them in the line below where all the units are listed and it will give you their stats and also the other armies stats. Do you also know that if you hover over a unit from the other side that it will show you in a change in color on the map where that unit can move to so you can make sure to not be there?
Nope, sure didn’t. I’m playing on mobile, does that make a diff?

Henuses

There is no time limit to make a move. On mobile one of the most solid programming features has been if the app reboots, phone resets, etc it will ask when you get back into the same city if you wish to continue with your battle.
You can also replay your fights as well as tell the system to move units around at a slow medium or fast pace.

Like one person had mentioned the foe wiki is a great source of info.