• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Nah, brah...

Farfle the smelly

It’s almost 4am and I’m up with a sick pup (it’s her own fault, honestly), and I had a strange thought.

When did ‘nah, brah’ change? As a California kid growing up in the 80’s/90’s it used to be a term of affection when when telling someone no:

‘Can you hand me that?’
‘Nah, brah, we are out.’

‘Did she ask about me?’
‘Nah, brah, she didn’t.’

Now it’s more like a super sarcastic way to say ‘you’re an idiot and too stupid to realize I’m insulting you’. When did this happen? I’d like to say the early aughts, but I can’t pin point it. Was it a movie that changed the meaning? Is this only used on the west coast as an insult?

It’s amazing to me how time can change language both subtly and drastically. If anybody else knows I’d be curious.

DevaCat

I grew up in the southeast, and long long ago in the last century (back when they drove on plank roads lol) it was "nah or naw bro", maybe late '60s early '70s and meant simply no, brother. We got the "bruh" and "brah" forms later. I think it could be used affectionately or sarcastically all along, but for sure the general usage seems to change over time and space. It's interesting that each of the largest cities has a locally modified form of a similar phrase, these expressions migrate to smaller places and generally, from the coasts to the interior.

You wouldn't catch me saying "nah brah" lol, but you might hear a "cool" or "neat".

Farfle, I hope your pup's feeling better. Bless her heart! :)

Farfle the smelly

I still say ‘word’ in place of ‘cool’, despite being about 10 years too young for its heyday. My grandfather said ‘keen’ a lot. I think I might try to bring that back.