• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Neighborhood Merger 'steals' away PvP Champion Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser3364

I was Quietly Proud....:D

A Hard Week of PvP Battles and MapQuest expansions:whistle:
had brought me from a modest #25 to a soaring #1 in my Neighborhood,:laugh:
and Garnered me w/ Both Bronze Age and Iron Age Champion Status~:p
It was A Satisfying.... ....and incredibly Fleeting! ....Moment.:blink:

Some six-eight Hours after the PvP tourney Closed, apparently::unsure:
my Neighborhood has been Merged with another.:hmph:
I am Now back down to #7 in my neighborhood (which I can live, with and recover from...):evil:
and surrounded by "New Neighbors"....:rolleyes:

:devil:_BUT_:devil:
My Planned and Hard-Won Week of basking in my Status as 'Current Champion' (Bronze and iron, Too!):up:
has been summarily stripped from me!:blink:
Instaed: I Stare at the misbegotten visage of a Newly (e)Merged Despot with nearly THREE TIMES my Points :razz:,
and someone who very Obviously has more-than-a-Few 'Diamonds on the Soles of His Shoes'~:mad:

{ I mean, Seriously! :razz:
I've been Playing only a Week in Dunarsund with -No- Purchased Diamonds (matter of Honor, son: Matter of Honor!),;)
...And I am now Facing a 'new' #1 armed with ... a Level Three (3!) Statue of Zeus ....and Six (!) Archer compounds...?:blink:
And Likely Will for the Duration of my Gameplay?!? :huh:....... Does That seem right...!?!:unsure::blink::mad: )

< sigh >
I suppose it is somewhat petty,:huh:
but it certainly has removed More than Quite-a-Bit of the Satisfaction I had derived from this weeks gameplay.:unsure:
The Rewards being Numinous enough as it is::hmph:
I am disconcerted, and Frankly? Discouraged!! :(
.... that they have been rendered even More ethereal....:mad:

Not a Happy Camper, I. :(

(Please note:
the Excessive use of emoticons is Neither my Habit nor preferred communicative and stylistic choice,
but was chosen spontaneously as the at-hand emotional amplification tool of the moment
to more fully express my rueful dismay at the unfolding of these emergent events
as initiated by current game-play programming protocol decisions.

My Normal Mode of emotionally evocative protestation,
{ the Epic Verse in Iambic Pentameter and Free Verse, alternating }
I deemed too unwieldly in Composition to capture the purely kindergarten level (but nonetheless Visceral!!) Annoyance
this event has triggered in me, and Unlikely to be perused by Any, save the most hard-core of pen&paper RPG'ers.

Nonetheless: Be Glad that I chose Emoticon rather Than
the blazing pseudo-shakespaerean Stanzas of bilious annoyance I might have wrought
had it been a Month's gameplay invalidated
rather than a mere fleeting Week .

This Being a Raw emotional response, rather than an analytical examination
of protocol and proposed counter-protocol:
I recognize that this may not be the Correct forum for this particulair Misssive:
I Hope it will be allowed to Stand on the potentiality of meritorious discussion thus engendered.)

So, there It Is Then.

:evil:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3364

Hurm~

Topic moved, and without comment, from
the spot-lighted 'Forge Hall' board to the little-used and oft-ignored 'Dunarsund Drama';
I take that as editorial critique.
Duly Noted.

I find the underlying situation annoying enough that
i'll need to ruminate on taking a swing at a more prosaic outline of the grievance,
perhaps submitted under 'questions and guides' or 'bug reports' .
'Course, I suspect: "...it's not a Bug, It's a Feature...".

Edit:
My Mistake: Forge Hall is in fact only for Core Beta discussion,
which I am presuming this is assuredly not.
Odd to have two levels of beta testing, But
There it Is.

Further edit:
My initial Post was moved,
but Moderator DeM2 DID in fact Comment:
He Sent a PM and a warm compliment to the Original Humor.

Thanks for That!
It renders moot a Lot of the silliness following.

Further Further edit:
Hellstrom also complimented my initial post stating
he/she had 'gotten a chuckle' out of It.
I is Quietly Proud!

"Meta-Game Honour >>>_`_`> Restored!!"

DeletedUser2711

I feel your pain, I truly do. And well put. So... are you in a guild? :D I searched the name you use here and could not find you.

(And no, I doubt is was editorial critique, but an effort to keep the forum organized. Dunarsund itself is new so the category looks un-used but is only not used much yet!)

DeletedUser

Since your thread was moved into my area, let me address your concerns. Merging is one of the "necessary evils" of the game with no solution that will please everybody, sometimes even anybody. In order for players to have "active" opponents in their neighborhoods, merging is necessary. This means, at times, players will arrive in your neighborhood that are more powerful than others, players complain about those with too much power and they are plundered too often. This means, at times, players will arrive in your neighborhood that have less power in your neighborhood, players complain that there is no one in their neighborhood that they can score enough battle points or there are no goods worth plundering. Every merge means that each tower with TWO champions from previous tournaments will have to consolidate to ONE champion with the other "champion" moaning "but I was Number 1". There are so many "arrows" (complaints) in this "target" (merging), that each fresh arrow hits an arrow that has already been fired. No matter which way you approach this topic, SOMEONE will complain but it is a function that MUST be accomplished. To those offended by this post or function, I apologize, but out of necessity your complaints must fall on deaf ears.

PS: The solution for your problem, would be to stop listing the tournament champions. Which then would mean that ALL the champions would complain.

DeletedUser2711

Every merge means that each tower with TWO champions from previous tournaments will have to consolidate to ONE champion with the other "champion" moaning "but I was Number 1".

I'm not so sure the complaint ('twas actually a well styled rant, which I enjoyed) was with the merger as much as with the fact that mergers result in the loss of champion title. If every merge means what you stated, and it does, then why has this not been addressed? It's simple, really. There's room to show both champions. It's not an IF that there will be two champions. It's an absolute. The cases where there is only one champion are the exception and only in neighborhoods where a tower was not opened due to no one having those aged units yet. And even that will be rare due to diamond players reaching Colonial Age in 10 days. This is not a complaint that has no solution. Pleasing everyone would be not only possible but easy. Change the leader board to accommodate both champions. Problem solved and it will never come up again. Merging works. The leader board doesn't.

DeletedUser

Without trying to make this another matter of contention. But let us consider the snowball effect from the "solution" posed by Lanthano. Now we have 2 slots on the champion board. During the weeks there is no merge, there would be an open slot on the "leader board". Now the second place "winner" wants his name there. Now when the neighborhoods merge, second place get "miffed" because their names are not showing. Or even worse yet, the second place in one tower is higher than the first place in the second tower. This "easy" solution now creates another "arrow" aimed at merging.

DeletedUser2711

Without trying to make this another matter of contention. But let us consider the snowball effect from the "solution" posed by Lanthano. Now we have 2 slots on the champion board. During the weeks there is no merge, there would be an open slot on the "leader board". Now the second place "winner" wants his name there. Now when the neighborhoods merge, second place get "miffed" because their names are not showing. Or even worse yet, the second place in one tower is higher than the first place in the second tower. This "easy" solution now creates another "arrow" aimed at merging.

Seriously? You're grasping at straws.

--added--

I've searched and could find nothing. Show me a post were anyone has ever complained about not being listed at the top of the leader board for second place. Pay close attention to the wording here. There are posts wishing that the results of the tournament were not taken down so soon, but no one that I have found has ever complained about not being shown along the top as having taken second place. The point in beta is to give feedback. You're being given good feedback about a logical complaint. Don't just write it off with ridiculous rhetoric a parrot could spout. I agree that there are a lot of whinny complaints about merging where not everyone can be pleased. You'll never hear one of those complaints come from me. But to negate the efforts of the very nature of the game, or one aspect of it, PvP & PvE battles and victories, is something that should have been nixed in early development. It's still fixable.

DeletedUser3364

Lanthano~
Thanks for your Kind Words, and Interest:
I believe the Solution you suggest is a Step in the direction
and Yes: It Was a Rant, not a complaint:
I'm still ruminating and Formulating on whether or no a complaint, "proper" is worthwhile. This Discussion is Helpful.

gimccia~
Whilst I commiserate that Merging is a kludgey compromise
to rectify the drop-out rate of long-term Play:
I do feel Lonthano hit the Nub in identifying the Issue,
which is _not_ merging, per se.

Rather: The problem is the _DISINCENTIVE_ to an Active Player
(as evidenced by achieving 'Champion' on whatever level)
to continue investing Time, and Yes: Money on PvP Battles (much less the Game Proper)
when Numinous Rewards are removed as an admittedly kludgey solution to an entirely Different Problem.

(I might clarify: I had spent no Diamonds in Dunarsund _specifically_
because of the ongoing "New World" Contest,
and not in an effort to be Smug about not Paying:
I have Invested Real Cash in the Game in Cirgard already!)

To Restate the ACTUAL complaint:
Built in Punishments for Success and Continued Play are Not the Key to a Successful Beta Test:
Rather: Identifying potential 'snags' and offering Patches and/or Work-Arounds, kludge-ey (or Better: Not! )
_Are_ Key to continued player interest and interaction: More Rewards, not Less!

Lanthano has Brain Stormed One work-around: Two Tier Victors after a Merge.
You have countered with the Presumption that a two-tiered Victor slot would -always- be in use
(which may or may not, depending on Coding)
and Offered counter-example as to Why this would create More issues, Domino Like.

Fair Enough!

Allow me to offer Two Counter Proposals:

Counter-Proposal 1~> (Kludge)
A THREE Tier System:
King's Champion, Queen's Champion, People's Champion
Given the volatile Nature of Most Tourneys, the jockeying for Place and Show
a Further Incentive to _keep competing_ rather than throw in the Towel is a -good- Thing.

On Non Merge weeks:
First, Place, and Show are Easily determined.
On Merge Weeks,
The 'King' and Queen's" Champion' is Pure points,
the People's Champion is the Champion of the 'lesser' Neighborhood.

Counter Proposal The Second: Non Kludge }

An Entirely New Reward System: Titles.
This function is already programmed at a Core level,
and merely needs a patch-code to implement Wider Implementation and increased functional utilization
to record successive Weeks Tournament Champion Status.

Thus: A Scaling Tournamemt Champion system of Titles e.g. :
One Week Champion Title: Mark Master Champion
Two Week Title: Most Excellent Master Champion
Five Week Title: Perfect Master Champion
Ten Week Title: Sublime Knight Elect Champion
20 Week Title: Grand Master Champion
52 WeekTitle: Sublime Grand and Perfect Master Champion

To succinctly Restate the Core Premise:
Players need to be incentivised
Not punished for success.

Lanthano>>>~-~->
Try searching for player 'Volstagg' instaed
The spelling of the Name varies as to Vowels, consonants, and Umlauts
depending on my Mood and Whimsy at any given time, i.e

Vølstäägg Sky-Skääld
Lord Protector of Vänyr Hæmr
Lord Guardian of Älfn Hæmr

DeletedUser

Seriously? You're grasping at straws.

--added--

I've searched and could find nothing.

Lanthano, my point about snowballing was proven with the Volstaag's follow up comment. Now the suggestion is not just one or two slots, but SIX, where do you stop because of "bruised egos" over a game.

DeletedUser3364

Lanthano, my point about snowballing was proven with the Volstaag's follow up comment. Now the suggestion is not just one or two slots, but SIX, where do you stop because of "bruised egos" over a game.

gimccia~>

With All Due Respect:
You are seemingly being dismissive my Points w/o (so it Seems) examining the Actual Issue at Hand.
This is cursory and somewhat unfair, from my perception.
I did NOT suggest Ideas _as_ Solutions, But Rather as Proof Text that "Solutions are Ideal".

As to the specifics:
I -Never- suggested Six slots, only Three:
The Title system solution is NOT a "champion slot" addendum,
but Rather a Player Rank/Title addendum such as the "New World" contest titles. or Guild titles.

The fact that you have mis-stated my Point I take as evidence
1) I Failed to state my point clearly. but also: 2) of the cursory attention being paid:
Not to the Issue, per se, but _to me_
An Invested but Relatively New Player, and a Cash Player at That.

As to Your specific counter-Point:
The Essence of Game Play is Reward which can, Frankly: be classified as Ego-Stroking.
Why does Anyone actually Play these computer games?
For the positive feed-back of success, more than Just in Part.

Which Remember: I had Removed in such a Manner that was Unexpected,
and Unprecedented in My Experience. ( A Search of The Boards showed no other Discussion of this specific issue)
By an admitted kludgey and impersonal sub-routine of programming code.
Yes: My Ego was Bruised. However: It was Still Unfair, and still unexpected.

Dismissing the emotional connotations of a Point
Does Not Invalidate a point, logically speaking.

The Point Being: This Is NOT the trivial irrelevance that you seem to be implying!
Ego Bruising and Stroking (which you are seemingly being somewhat cavalierly dismissive of)
IS In Point of Fact: The Entire Reason to continue Play of These Games in the First Place!
And I might Gently Add:\

"Ego Bruising" cursory Negative Feed-Back
Is Not what I would classify as a 'positive Game experience".
It is a distinct dis-incentive from an Impersonal Machine program:
but quite a bit Moreso from an actual Person.

Thank You for your Kind Attention:
I can see it is likely Not Worth My Time Pursuing,
nor is it Likely Worth my Time to engage in " Dunarsand Drama"
Frankly: This has Abruptly Stopped Being a Fun Pastime.

DeletedUser2711

A suggestion. Exactly. Not a complaint from someone wanting to be acknowledged for getting second. My point stands.
But as for a display of a bruised ego, I do see where you have made that point well.

DeletedUser3313

As a side note here, titles, "King's Champion," "Queen's Champion" and "People's Champion," are good titles -- they would add to the flavor of the game.

DeletedUser

Hey guys.

The thread was moved because ranting about losing your number 1 rank when you moved to a new neighbourhood is not a valid Forge Hall discussion. The good humoured nature of the original post gave the impression that this thread was intended as a "joke" thread, per se, therefore it was moved to Dunarsund Drama for you all to continue your joking.

I see it has now turned into a thread discussing and suggesting legitimate changes to the game. So I'll advise you that nothing will get done about your suggestions if you post them here. Feel free to create a thread in the Proposals forum using the correct format as specified here if you have a suggestion to make :)

DeletedUser3313

If Gim would have just agreed with us, it could have remained good humored. And Scarecrow, I see what's really going on here; what you're telling us is to limit our use of emoticons to one per post if we want to be taken seriously.:D

DeletedUser

No, the use of emoticons is a fine art. You must perfect it, practice it, hone your skills over long years of solitude and meditation. You must learn not only where to place emoticons, but which ones to place. You must learn which ones compliment each other and which ones do not. An entire post can go from being a stroke of genius to an utter failure through the smallest misjudgement in your use of emoticons. Your whole integrity relies on your prowess in the art of emoticon use.

Very few have mastered this art. It is the difference between a good man, and a great man.

DeletedUser3

If I may add some insight (and no, not about the emoticons)

As Forge of Empires is in Beta, the game designers are continuously reassessing game features to determine the proper balance. If you encounter some features you deem imbalanced, the proper procedure, for your concern to be routed to the developers, is to detail the problems you identified and pose a viable solution. This, however, must be done concisely and with clarity within a proposal and posed in the Proposal section. This is how it works and it is the only way I will deliver proposals to the Product Manager and game designers. Debate and diatribe serves no purpose, as it is neither constructive, nor productive, merely entertaining. As this community is geared for results, we encourage you to follow Scarecrow's recommendations. Closing this thread, thank you for your time and attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.