• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Neighborhood Overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser10415

The one spear defense is best used by players who actually collect on time, but who want to provide maximum aggravation to attackers. It does however allow attackers to rack up points (and medals) from lesser PvP towers they would otherwise not have the ability to score in.

DeletedUser18576

I think part of the problem is you are moving to quickly through the ages. Slow down a bit. Take your time, Collect the GB's from the era's you're in before moving on. Donate to your guild. You will start to notice that the others will move away, in time. Don't level up until you have stronger defence. Also, do the treasure hunt, They give you units that are of your current level.

Thats not true, and it won't protect you from being thrown into a crazy neighborhood. I've been taking it slow with one of my cities and stayed in Iron Age for a while leveling my GBs and the moment I move out of Iron Age to Early Middle Ages (even though plenty of my neighbors were well in the Middle Ages), I get taken out of the neighborhood I was perfectly fine in and into one full of people ALL in Progressive Era to Industrial Age (with only 6 other players ranging from Iron Age to Early Middle Age).

The neighborhood I was previously in was very well populated full of people my range (High Middle Ages to Iron Age).

ahsay

Thats not true, and it won't protect you from being thrown into a crazy neighborhood. I've been taking it slow with one of my cities and stayed in Iron Age for a while leveling my GBs and the moment I move out of Iron Age to Early Middle Ages (even though plenty of my neighbors were well in the Middle Ages), I get taken out of the neighborhood I was perfectly fine in and into one full of people ALL in Progressive Era to Industrial Age (with only 6 other players ranging from Iron Age to Early Middle Age).

The neighborhood I was previously in was very well populated full of people my range (High Middle Ages to Iron Age).

Yeah it happens...so what? It doesn't mean that "overall" the advice is not sound. "For the most part..." as a "General rule of thumb"; etc. There will always be exceptions.

I'm in a crazy neighborhood right now. My jaegers and musket just got taken out by Air support, choppers. I just watched it...it was awesome how "tough" my troops were. Those muskets did some damage in the face of mini-guns/rockets. There's no defense against that...and...I don't care.

The1Reaper

The game is imperfect - This much is clear. I'm beginning to think the devs are incapable of building a better matchmaker.

This is becoming a very unfunny joke. InnoGames MUST address the competitive imbalance of it's neighborhoods or risk losing thousands of players when they realize they can't compete with players 4 and 5 ages ahead of them and lose all their goods daily.

Here is a screen shot of my neighborhood. You'll notice the #1 player has over 184,000 points and #2 has a whopping 12,036. Almost every other member of this neighborhood is at Iron Age level. Now help me understand how this is fair? Industrial age armies fighting Iron age armies? Really? You're killing your own game Inno. I see no reason to play the game if I get knocked three steps back for every one I take going forward. In another neighborhood in P world I had four neighbors in the Progressive era while I was in EMA. I can't babysit my goods 24/7 so I just stopped producing hoping the neighborhood would change. Here is it 10 weeks later and they're still there. I've had to quit playing in that world and won't continue until they are gone.

Please do something about this flaw in your game.

industrial-age-vs-iron-age.png

- - - Updated - - -

How about the game developer make the damn game fair? I like that plan.
Honestly it is very simple how to fix this issue. I have learned the hard way. Build buildings that are ready to be collected when you are online. Second if you can not do that, then aid them daily because usually once they realize that you are aiding them everyday they will stop plundering you. If that does not work level up till you join a new neighborhood. It took me many times before I finally got to where people no longer plundered me.

ahsay

Not sure how this relates to the obviously flawed matchmaker.

Yes it's flawed...so what? Deal with it or leave.

It's like being mad at the tornado, hurricane, storm, natural disaster, you can' work on the weather machine in your basement, scream at god or move. I think the odds are better if you move but that's up to you. Assume the neighborhoods will be unbalanced at times and put up with it or find a solution.

DeletedUser10415

Yes it's flawed...so what? Deal with it or leave.

I'd rather complain about it, thanks. I've already offered up an ideal fix for it that was well supported by the community:
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?7836-Dual-Age-Matchmaking

But that was quite some time ago and there's been no change, so when I get the notion, I'll keep complaining about it.

It's not that I'm having much difficulty personally with the matchmaker, though the 'chunking' is an annoyance - Months on end with the same neighbors. I always collect on time, and besides which it's usually been the neighbors complaining about me rather than the other way 'round. It's the bad game design aspect of the matchmaker that most bothers me. Newbie retention would be much higher if they weren't getting thrown into entire neighborhoods that can kick their arse.

Last edited by a moderator:

ahsay

But that was quite some time ago and there's been no change, so when I get the notion, I'll keep complaining about it.

It's not that I'm having much difficulty personally with the matchmaker, though the 'chunking' is an annoyance - Months on end with the same neighbors. I always collect on time, and besides which it's usually been the neighbors complaining about me rather than the other way 'round. It's the bad game design aspect of the matchmaker that most bothers me. Newbie retention would be much higher if they weren't getting thrown into entire neighborhoods that can kick their arse.

Some time ago...some time ago...

It aint gonna change; better to tell newbies that's the way it is and deal with it. I'm not sure why it bothers people; so much. I could see if you lost the troops but it's mostly coins and supplies. Occasionally you'll lose goods but even then...make more.

DeletedUser22187

i agree neighborhood overkill

Sorry, but you adult/child argument is a strawman. There is no direct comparison between an adult attacking a child and someone of a higher age attacking someone of a lower age. When you sign up to play this game you learn very quickly that some other people are going to attack you. Then you very quickly learn how to deal with it.

If you don't want to learn how to deal with it, submit a well-thought out proposal as to why it should change. Yes, change can come from criticism, but not here. Here you need to submit a proposal, gain enough support to have it put forth for voting, then get enough to vote for it to be submitted. Only then can change occur, and even that is not a guarantee. At this point, complaints about the neighborhoods have been so copius that I can only assume that there hasn't been a change because either A) there hasn't been a suitable proposal submitted that the devs like, or B) it isn't going to change at all. In either case, you need to learn to deal with it.

with all do respect your comment regarding "complaints about the neighborhoods have been so copious" make the point . In my opinion a majority of people dislike this aspect of the game, several "friends" have left the game because of the "bullies" in the neighborhood. Comments like "deal with it" are childish and make me wonder if you are a bully who gets off on attacking others with tanks against their less technological troops.
The bottom line is it seems like a majority of players dislike the unfairness in a few high level players stealing goods and coins with no recourse to stop them. One other point timing your collections is all well and good but most players "
have a life" and play the game for fun . as far as your comment regarding suitable proposal again most play the game for fun they and I are not going to" submit a proposal" come on now perhaps you have the computer skills to 1) write that proposal 2) know who/where to send it. I play the game for fun and the unfair plundering aspect makes it less likely for me to continue

DeletedUser10415

The bottom line is it seems like a majority of players dislike the unfairness in a few high level players stealing goods and coins with no recourse to stop them. One other point timing your collections is all well and good but most players "
have a life" and play the game for fun .

Where'd you get that idea? It would be more accurate to say that a substantial number of players find fault with the neighborhood composition process that puts players together with a 5-age spread between them. Some would say a 3-age spread is more appropriate. Others, two.

As for "no recourse", that is incorrect. Collecting on time is the recourse, and in no way interferes with having a life and playing for fun. Collecting on time is made easier as one can even set their own times for supplies and goods production. Not for coin, but the loss of coin from a few houses is nothing really, in the grand scheme of things.

planetofthehumans2

Actually it's exactly as the devs have coded it. Low level players give high level diamond players cannon fodder for free goods and tower points in almost all ages. To keep diamond players happy, FOE is more than willing to sacrifice a bundle of non-paying server-hogging accounts. And there are more than enough sheep for the slaughter.

This kind of tactic is extremely common among "freemium" games. In fact those diamond users are called "whales" because they're the 1% of the community who donates 90% of the funds to the game.

As a sheep, I've worked my way up through the ranks and will soon be in TE...and then I'll exact my revenge on those who oppressed me early in the game....

DeletedUser10415

I've worked my way up through the ranks and will soon be in TE...and then I'll exact my revenge on those who oppressed me early in the game....

I think you might be disappointed. If you've been getting your butt kicked all the way through to CE, making it to TE isn't going to change anything. Once a sheep - Always a sheep.

Now myself OTOH, Yeah, I've bought diamonds, but I've spent less than 50 bucks the entire time I've been here, so I don't think I fit into your 1%. And yet, with the exception of getting stuck in a rotten 'hood for a month or so (PME me vs. the rest of the 'hood TE), where I had to keep my head down, I've never been oppressed. This is due to the fact that I always put up a defense with some teeth to it, and I always collected on time, and everything else was always motivated because I was motivated enough to make that happen by joining a good guild, having an extensive friends list filled with friends who'd polivate me, and convincing my neighbors that mutual polivation was better for them than me stealing their goods all the time. I was never a sheep. And yet not in the 1%. How the heck did that happen? :blink:

DeletedUser17558

with all do respect your comment regarding "complaints about the neighborhoods have been so copious" make the point . In my opinion a majority of people dislike this aspect of the game, several "friends" have left the game because of the "bullies" in the neighborhood. Comments like "deal with it" are childish and make me wonder if you are a bully who gets off on attacking others with tanks against their less technological troops.
have a life" and play the game for fun . as far as your comment regarding suitable proposal again most play the game for fun they and I are not going to" submit a proposal" come on now perhaps you have the computer skills to 1) write that proposal 2) know who/where to send it. I play the game for fun and the unfair plundering aspect makes it less likely for me to continue

What point is being made? I find that the "copius" complaints are all on the forum. What percentage of players on the forum are actually complaining? Now what percentage of players are actually on the forum? You want to tell me that represents the majority of players? Your opinion is very far from the truth. Anecdotal experience is not evidence, it is one person's perception. My guild tends to be able to take care of itself and we like to plunder, but guess what, that is just my experience.

Just the fact that you express your opinion of people who play in a style different from yours as bullies tells me that you aren't prepared to have an open-minded conversation. There are many ways to try to influence other players from taking advantage of you, and they are all over the forum. Some are simple (collect on time, have a strong defense), some are complex (some garbage about unplugging, spearman defense, attempts at retribution, etc). Either way, learn how to deal with the parameters the game has set forth.

Proposal link: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=24
If you can type, and follow the proscribed formatting, and put out a well thought out proposal, you, too, may be able to affect some small measure of change on the game.

DeletedUser18471

Plundering is ruining the game - there should be a defensive option for lower levels - perhaps a guild that can let 3-4 players attacked a higher level player who has plundered

What "skill" is there in a 100% sure thing of plundering someone many levels below you?

DeletedUser23427

The reason people in your neighborhood are so far ahead of you is because you rushed through the tech tree. You tried to get too good, too fast. In other games, it works just fine. In Forge of Empire, it is better to wait, level up Great Buildings, and stay in your age for a long time. Then you will be higher than everyone else in your neighbor hood.

DeletedUser8428

Plundering is ruining the game - there should be a defensive option for lower levels - perhaps a guild that can let 3-4 players attacked a higher level player who has plundered

What "skill" is there in a 100% sure thing of plundering someone many levels below you?

How can "plundering" be 100%? Attacking successfully is just about guaranteed, but if you're not leaving your stuff laying around for pick up, then there's nothing to plunder.

DeletedUser21180

WOW I'm rubbing my eyes and re-reading this thread because I can't believe any player (with the exception of the biggest players in the game) could defend the makeup of the neighborhoods now. It's beyond ridiculous and I predict will push many players away to other games that at least have some competitive balance.

I am in a hood right now where the #1 is in Tomorrowland and the #83 is in Iron Age... Explain that one INNOGAMES!!!!

The neighborhoods are getting worse with regard to competitive balance. I was attacked and plundered by the #1 with tanks to may EMA troops... He killed every troop with one shot. Some of you here would suggest I "hunker down" or "beef up my defenses" or go so far as to say this is a good thing! How about you kiss my crack of dawn... Why would I want to continue playing this game knowing I can't defend my goods from plunder or keep up?

What's the incentive for a new player to continue playing your game when Tomorrowland players are in his/her neighborhood and plundering them daily? You crush any fun and excitement about the game when players can't compete.

I will not spend another dime on diamonds until this problem is addressed and competitive balance is brought to the game in the neighborhoods. I encourage others to join this boycott. Our wallet is our leverage. Money talks and if the money starts to dry up InnoGames will act.

- - - Updated - - -

Not everyone lives in their parent's basement and plays FOE 24/7.... Some of us are adults and have businesses to run and can only log on maybe once a day. I guess we shouldn't be allowed to play anymore because we can't log in enough to stay ahead of the thieves in our neighborhoods who we can't defend against? That's just stupid to even suggest...

- - - Updated - - -

The reason people in your neighborhood are so far ahead of you is because you rushed through the tech tree. You tried to get too good, too fast. In other games, it works just fine. In Forge of Empire, it is better to wait, level up Great Buildings, and stay in your age for a long time. Then you will be higher than everyone else in your neighbor hood.

That's not true. I have an account in LMA which I am slow growing. I now have Tomorrowland level players in my hood. Explain that one and stop defending InnoGames egregious gameplay.

DeletedUser21180

Here's the latest screen shot of the #1 in my hood. By the way There are 83 people in this neighborhood and #83 is in Iron Age. OK apologists! Go to town on this one...tell us all why this is a great thing and we should just stop complaining... I'm all ears.

First image: the #1 guy in our hood.
Second image: the #1 guy slaughtering my LMA troops with tanks.
Third image: the #83 guy in our hood.

Fun fun fun...not.

screen-shot-2015-10-06-at-6-23-12-pm.png

screen-shot-2015-10-06-at-6-21-07-pm.png

screen-shot-2015-10-06-at-7-15-35-pm.png

DeletedUser8809

that is completely wrong, the hood was nice and balanced with Basherr no. 1 in Industrial and the lowest player in HMA. Nobody got ahead very fast. Then they put about 10 CE/TE players ahead of him. I know because I am also in that hood. They did not put us in their hood, they moved these Million $ players into our hood.

DeletedUser13942

welcome to FoE, those who spend nothing or spend moderately are canon fodder for the rich kids. Spend big or go home

Status
Not open for further replies.