• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Next steps with Mobile Video Ads (Feedback thread)

I have played this Game for at least 5 years, bought diamonds when needed but this money grab might be too much.
The simplicity of this game was what drew me to it but the intrusive mobile video adds are going to be too much. I have 4 worlds I play on, all are mature, I love the people in the guilds but this game is getting a little like "Ready Player One" how may ads can we force you to watch?

This move, might be good for inno future playing. But my mobile playing days are numbered with these ads.
Less time playing might lead to stopping all together, I don't know yet but, I do know this will become like the other silly games out there. "Watch this if you want to play" I don't play those games either.
Sad day for Forge of Empires, PC players, your next!

RazorbackPirate

This smacks of desperation. I hope this continued push to both monetize every last player and increasing benefits only available to the Pay to Play crowd becomes the beginning of the end for Inno. I hope these are the self inflicted wounds that lead to the end of FoE.

Someone once asked when MTG went from a minority stockholder to the majority stockholder, "What difference does it make?" This. This right here is the difference. Pay to Play, Pay to stop ads, Pay! Pay! Pay! or we'll make money off your eyeballs watching ads you don't want..

May this be the beginning of the end for FoE.

MJOLB 1

This is the only game that I play, and it’s a lot of time spent daily. Ads are so annoying, I am going to quit. At least for a subset of players (including a long time player such as me), this will be a net revenue reduction. Perhaps there was some market research done to see if ads would be additive to revenue, but I doubt it. Good luck retaining players and revenue.

Scootwagon

Trying to make money by stuffing ads in people's faces. Who wouldn't think that's a great idea?! Where can you go from here?

This whole business model is just wrong. This isn't the 1970's, where people had limited choices for entertainment. And the computer gaming industry is awash in the corpses of games that died because ads made them too junky to play. Thank God there are still plenty of games to switch to that don't do this to their cudtomers.

MatthiasIV

I just spent $80 last week, and now I have to watch ads? At least before I didn't have to see them. I've played for 13 years, and spent hundreds of dollars over that time, only to be assaulted with ads. I despise looking around my city, seeing these desperate reminders, especially when I have already spent money. If Inno needs the revenue from these ads, maybe it's time to hang it up, and find new careers.

Please don’t turn FOE into one of those many many mobile games that gets interrupted by ads every 5 minutes. Those are just junk. Inno is better than that. And speaking of which…why is FOE plus so expensive? Most games pay to play are just $5-$10 a month anyway. I’d pay $5 a month.

Edit: A game with 10 years of no ads was truly awesome. I feel like FOE stood out from other games because of this. So that part sucks. If the community seems ok with optional ads overall, fine. But If they start interrupting gameplay, popping up randomly, not in our control, after a gbg or gvg battle, then the entire community will have a problem. Which means you will have a problem. I do think it’s unfair to give us features we’ve been asking for for years but make us watch ads or pay money for. Like aid all or 100+ FP bar. Or suddenly change a feature, like the castle points.

Last edited:
This is the only game that I play, and it’s a lot of time spent daily. Ads are so annoying, I am going to quit. At least for a subset of players (including a long time player such as me), this will be a net revenue reduction. Perhaps there was some market research done to see if ads would be additive to revenue, but I doubt it. Good luck retaining players and revenue.
I may do the same. I clicked on two , played through and next thing I know there’s three more on my town. Very, very annoying. % chance to get a reward for annoying me as I concentrate on play is a road too much. I’ve been consistently playing these increasing Events every x days and it’s just too much to ask.

I will fall in line with those who will leave. I have been playing over 3 years and bought diamonds to help inch myself forward. Inno used to have regular sales on diamonds and that’s when I would buy. Lately they rarely have sales and now with ads those rare sales will probably disappear. I will not watch ads. I will lose out on perks until they decide if this will be a permanent move. If it becomes permanent I will leave. A SAD SAD day that will be!!

I have played this game form almost the start. I have spent a lot of hard earned money, when I could spare it, on daimonds for events and expansions. You added Forge Plus, which is a joke. It's to expensive for its benefits. I could see maybe on the high end. 4.99 a month. But if I'm spending 20+, I'll pay for a subscription to FF14 and just leave playing this game. Now you all add ads to comfort of life improvements we has ASKED FOR SINCE THE BEGINNING. So you can get a few extra dollars on your profit margin.

I will not watch the ads. I will not use anything that forces me to watch an ad. And if this foolishness gets worse. I will walk away from FOE. You guys can do better, right now. You are failing and acting like those gotcha games and pay to win game. Straighten up your act. It's sad. Do better inno.

Johnny B. Goode

I play mostly on PC, but this change concerns me. The addition of ads to the game in the first place is problematic for me, ads are the worst. There are many mobile games I have tried and immediately discarded due to the prevalence of ads in them. It made sense when they were introduced that those players who had spent a certain amount of money would be exempt from the ads. To now remove this...and to do it retroactively, as it appears... is just wrong. The right way to make this change would be to grandfather in those players who had been exempt up to now and just make remove the "no ads if you spent money" option for those spending money (other than for Forge Plus) in the future. Still not great that you're doing it, but at least that would be defensible.

Now for a suggestion. Give the players the option to not have the icons for ads appear on their game screen. Mobile screens are already small enough, and every graphic added just makes it harder to simply play the game. Even those who choose not to make use of the ads and their benefits are made to pay the price for their inclusion in the game if the ad graphics interfere with their ability to see the whole game on their screen. I can tell you that if my only option at any given time is to play on mobile or not play until I can play on PC, the presence of multiple ad graphics will make that decision for me. I won't put up with them. The mandolin on the Friends Tavern is bad enough, and nobody likes the bouncing arrows/fingers that we have to put up with at the beginning of each event. To have permanent graphics for ads on the screen would be a deal breaker for me. And I've spent multiple thousands of real dollars over the 7+ years I've been playing.

Davidus Magnus

I will add my feedback to the rest of the complaints you are receiving. I have played this game almost every day for over 5 years. I have spent hundreds of dollars over the years on diamonds. But I'm done now. The game has become stale and boring as it is - and now you expect me to spend time watching ads? Oh, you will allow me to avoid ads by paying you even more money? No more. You have lost a dedicated player, and I doubt I will be alone.

I Strong

Dear Kings and Queens,

Please leave any feedback for our announcement Next steps with Mobile Video Ads below. Please keep it constructive so we can pass along your thoughts. Thanks!

Your forge of Empires team
Hard to be constructive when Inno’s changes and proposed gbg changes are not! I ditto all the concerns already posted. Bottom line is Inno is going to lose revenue as they chase away long time players, like me and many others, if the ad changes dont go away and any further changes are made to gbg. Last 2 seasons already have noticeable shifts in SCs. oh…and, btw, since the ad changes this morning I’ve been kicked out once and play is glitchy in many places. So that’s not helping my efforts to be constructive either