• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Next steps with Mobile Video Ads (Feedback thread)

I play this game for entertainment. watching video ads are not entertaining. If the video ads are not removed from my game that are required to activate game features that were once just part of my game. I will not play this game. The suggestion that this feature is to compensate for energy cost is ridiculous. If the company needs more revenue increase the price of of buying diamonds, so the customer has a choice to make a purchase. Not force me to watch video ads.

Cuddlebugz

I have been reading the posts and contemplating my next moves. The ads are too intrusive. I believe that Inno has to recoup costs associated with the aggressive inflation that has been plaguing the globe for over a year now. I can't fault Inno for needing to pass along some costs.

That being said, I have a much more productive idea, Inno... add a global, yearly Forge Plus, that's really a plus. Charge us $99.99 for a year and open up all of those features and have it go across all cities in which you play. Then throw in a grab bag of goodies daily... one up kits (please!) and event building upgrades or something... something worthwhile. GE got harder to play but the rewards don't get better as you get bigger. Make the rewards better.

Other ideas that could be implemented separately or in tandem to my idea above:

1) Attrition reset - OMG... I'd pay diamonds to reset my attrition. Absolutely I would. Make it cost 100 diamonds.
2) Aid all - 5 diamonds
3) Sit in all taverns - 5 diamonds
4) Custom or prettier avatars - 25 diamonds a pop... maybe up to 100 diamonds a pop. Many would pay.... many.
5) More guild emblems for diamonds - there's only a couple :(
6) Auto protect advanced troops from dying - Soooo easy to forget to diamond heal those. That could be part of a Forge Plus package or you could buy that from the tavern shop for diamonds
7) Downgrade building - OMG I'd pay to downgrade an SoH or event building an age or two. I'm pretty sure others would also. Would be super helpful when your guild Treasury gets low on an era
8) Building skins... so we can beautify our cities.
9) GE level 5 - pay diamonds to enter. You get a premium event building upgrade every 4 or 8 encounters. You don't have to make it harder, just disable ToR and offer random premium event building selection kits, AA, sleigh builders, GVs, TV, FV, you get the idea. You could even let someone do many additional levels... with the diamond cost of each level increasing. So, maybe level 5 costs 250 diamonds, 6 is 500, 7 is 750, etc. If someone is on the hunt, you'd be surprised what they would pay to get it.
10) An auto win in the AD.... put a diamond button right there and auto win one for the double the current bid.
11) on GBs with # of chances... a way to double your chances. Like HC or TT or Kraken, etc. Once a day, you could spend 50 diamonds or whatever and get a second set of chances
12) Add a diamond potion/boost to the tavern that will lower your attrition for x amount of time by y percent.

The point is... there are many easy ways to drive some revenue while still being able to market yourself as "ad free". Just ask us, Inno. We will tell you. And we are clearly telling you that we don't want the game to run this way... with ads in our face and making our cities even more unattractive than the mechanics allow us to make them.

Please listen to us and reevaluate your strategy.

Thank you,
~Bugz

Last edited:

PrinceHope

An update from my side: I didn't want to mess with the ads, too annoying. Already I stated once in this thread my opinions. So my solution was to just delete the mobile app. For now will continue on PC, until they decide what direction they are moving. It will be an easy decision for me if they push the ads to PC. Quite sad after years of investment, fun and friendships

Side note: I no longer feel guilty about the amount I’ve spent on diamonds (a few hundred $ over 6-1/2 years). Now I feel more like like a minnow in a sea full of whales! o_O But no way am I paying for that Forge Plus package. If they take Cuddlebugz’s suggestion and make it a full year at a much more reasonable price and with more usable perks, I’d probably do that. (I only play in one world besides beta due to lack of time, but if I still played in multiple worlds it would have to work across worlds.)

Maybe get rid of the “special” avatar frame too or at least make it optional. That’s actually a deterrent for a lot of people.

Last edited:

The Lady Redneck

Maybe get rid of the “special” avatar frame too or at least make it optional. That’s actually a deterrent for a lot of people.
That frame is not optional ?!?!?! I suppose from the company's point of view that is a good thing as it is a visible advert to all players that the package is being purchased so might encourage the click a button to get something pretty player to jump on the bandwagon. Just one more Ad in fact.

That frame is not optional ?!?!?! I suppose from the company's point of view that is a good thing as it is a visible advert to all players that the package is being purchased so might encourage the click a button to get something pretty player to jump on the bandwagon. Just one more Ad in fact.
I'm just guessing it's not. Can anyone who's bought the package confirm?

Johnny B. Goode

I'm just guessing it's not. Can anyone who's bought the package confirm?
I bought it once, and looked for a button to deactivate the frame. I couldn't find one.

Common Inno, really? The player base for games like these is an older crowd, willing to play the game for years, not preteens who need immediate gratification and/or an adrenaline or dopamine rush. Value for value, player loyalty, and well balanced growth regardless of ability to spend is what draws people to games like these. If you want to incorporate ads for additional revenue, then make them worth our time and/or give a buy out option. Why do I want to spend time on an ad for 7500 supplies when my city generates 500k a day that I don't use? Provide the ads on a separate page, clearly list the rewards available (which should be city age appropriate) and let us choose what to watch and for what reward. Just forcing items on a crowd that plays games like FOE is a good way to drive away players, and drive away your income stream. If this ad thing goes much farther in the direction it already has, I know my income will be spent elsewhere.

UP ONLINE

Dear Inno.

First a little succinct vitriol to vent some stress....

Boo on this. Seriously.

I'm NOT (NOT) watching a 30+ second video advertisement multiple times a day to get 5% more attack from your new tavern tab. You've chosen to make that my nuisance first screen when I see who's sitting @ my table. I wasn't even doing this seriously (other than a novelty to try it...) when it was FREE for me to try. This will FLOP badly and as you can see - it sends a really bad message.

What are you guys smoking?

If you want to tightly unite a player point of view on this forum - seems you've succeeded.

We hate the idea.

Tactically - with the "adaptive" nature and re-tooling of your new FoE WAR AI - 5% attack boost is mathematically and intellectually "relevant", but practically - isn't of any value. Where people have taken their attack boost in this game, 50% might not be of much value either. That new AI has that all figured out, for sure.

So net-net: It's darn insulting. We sell 5% boost potions to the Auction dealer, why on EARTH do you think we'd pay for them with our time? We're NOT even using them when they're offered for FREE!! And the rest of the stuff you're offering with the 5% attack boost - LESS than worthless. Building time compression? Defense boost? Gee - hope someone attacks me in that 4 hour window, right?

The entire package is ludicrously HOLLOW.

If you want to monetize the game, do so. Give people something of value for their time and they might warm to helping you. The decision to give nothing and ask for more isn't fitting for a corporate position.

You guys really need your game strategists, product and program managers, decision makers and bean counters - to play the game you've built, and have been offering for 10 years.
REALY I just used my phone a little Today on the game each ads is only good for 1 hour And they want you to watch lots of it to stack it up NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !! over my deaddd Boddy

I just started playing FoE this year, after playing Elvenar for the last 5 years. I have just one city here. I will not watch any ads & if this prevents me from playing the game, I'll quit & reopen one of my 8 cities in Elvenar (currently retired all but one). The ads showing up everywhere is an eyesore & extremely annoying.

FrogPrnce

Dear Kings and Queens,

Please leave any feedback for our announcement Next steps with Mobile Video Ads below. Please keep it constructive so we can pass along your thoughts. Thanks!

Your forge of Empires team
I am a new player. Being retired, I have both time and $$$ to enjoy this game.

What attracted me to the game is 1) it is free allowing me to spend whatever I desire 2) great graphics 3) I can play on my desktop, laptop, and phone, 4) for an old guy trying to maintain brain function, it is better that crosswords or Sudoku 5) NO ADS. Much of my play is on the phone. For instance, I may be cutting grass or watching my grandson on the playground while collecting coins every 5 minutes. I do not want to spend time with ads.

So far, I have invested a lot of time but not much $$$. I will continue to invest time but before investing any more $$$, I will wait and see what happens with the ads.

Last edited:

Alone Greywolf

FoE was an exceptional FTP game that Ive spent a ton of money on in an effort to speed up my age leveling. Not an excuse, just a fact. Like the thousands of other players who have invested real coin into this game, I’m both dismayed and disheartened at this move to make it more of a PTP game with cash earning ads embedded all over it. If it really is necessary and the massive income from Diamond buyers isn’t enough, put all the ad watching options in one remote building for those that choose to view them. Please unclutter the map!