• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

NFL: Best Teams

DeletedUser

Says something about the quality (or lack thereof) of QBs in the NFL that Cutler still has a job.:p

Freshmeboy

Yeah, guess Ray Rice and Ray Lewis get a pass but Kap knelt during the anthem so he MUST be evil...Flacco out for half the season but why hire a dissenter...?

DeletedUser13838

Other players who sat/knelt for the anthem got new contracts. But Kap wasn't getting signed in Miami after wearing a Castro tshirt and wasn't getting signed in NY after wearing pig socks. Can't speak to Baltimore or other teams. Sorry - don't walk away from a guaranteed contract if you don't want to face the conseqences of your wardrobe.

Freshmeboy

I watched that whole thing with Kap very closely....the 49ers wanted to change his contract or wouldn't pick up his option and he bet on his good season of play in free agency. Face it, in a QB starved league there is no reason he should be sitting when there are 8 weak starters, 2 injured starters and 32 back ups that have jobs..I am loathe to believe in conspiracy theories because they tend to require large populations of people or entire governments to keep a secret. But 32 billionaires in the most exclusive club in the world...? Hmmmmm......

Mustapha00

Let's also remember that Cutler has played in the offensive scheme Miami uses before and had his best season in that system.

Kaepernick has no one but himself to blame. I can't say that I had much respect for his 'protest' from the beginning, but, when he decided to show his true colors by wearing the anti-police "pig" socks and his anti-United States Castro shirt, I lost whatever respect for him I might have had. He has the right to free speech, but he does not have that right free from potential consequences.

Freshmeboy

I think you are missing my point though..Ray Lewis was involved in a murder and traded away his buddies for a plea deal that got swept under the rug. Ray Rice beat his lady and got away with it and served a small punishment under league rules but the Ravens still backed him. The Ravens have lost Flacco for part of the season but still deem Kap unfit due to his political statements? Its enough that the media and players are asking the serious questions of the NFL: Is Kap being blackballed? In a win-at-all-costs league, coaches and GM's look at Kap's numbers and say 'yes' and owners look at the hate mail or their own private prejudice and say 'no'... It's their club, their money and their decision so just come out and tell the truth rather than hem and haw and backpedal and throw the commissioner out there to cover your ass...

DeletedUser13838

Ray rice hasn't been able to sign with the NFL since his incident so no idea why you bring him up. Ray Lewis wasn't convicted of a crime . Whether he's actually guilty or not is speculation on our part but if you want to rail against the justice system go ahead. It has nothing to do with why kap is unemployed. Kap didn't commit any crimes but he opted out of a guaranteed contract. That's on him. He also made some very dumb wardrobe choices. Didn't a police union threaten to refuse to privide security to the stadium because of this? I don't remember police unions making these threats because of ray rice or ray Lewis.

Freshmeboy

Lets make this easier then. Check out the 2017 QB free agent list and look at all the QBs signed so far then compare their numbers and try to answer why, in a win at any cost league, Kap doesn't have a job...

DeletedUser13838

I explained my opinion on NY and Miami. Baltimore seemed to be a good fit all around, I agree. Seattle could have been a good fit but Richard Sherman has a big mouth. Kaepernick's girlfriend says it's racist. There's going to be a rally for Kap in NY but the organizers can't even spell his name right (not that I can but I'd make sure I could if I was holding a rally for him). These things aren't going to help him.

Mustapha00

If Kaepernick is being "blackballed", I'd respond, "So what?"

Again, he is entitled to free speech, but the exercise of same does not render him immune from the consequences.

Freshmeboy

Its against the law to discriminate against people for their political beliefs in all phase of employment: recruitment, workplace conditions and terms as well as dismissal...This is a political statement made by Kap about racial inequities and is protected speech..that is the crux of the matter and why the league is back pedaling and soft shoeing the issue. In a league dominated by African Americans, there should be questions about Kap's lack of employment and the reasons why.

DeletedUser26120

That would be tough to prove though.

"They didn't sign me cos racism. Politicism, whatever."

"We didn't sign him because we had other players to sign, players that were better."

Can't see him winning a court case.

Freshmeboy

And I agree...but what the players and the national media are focusing on is this a 'message' from the NFL...? Step out of line politically, and we will blackball you. Its especially glaring because its the most important position on the field. Which is why I'm concerned about it. Do I want to watch a product that endorses this behavior...? That shows bias against race or politics..? It's an ugly situation and one the NFL has to answer for eventually....

DeletedUser13838

Its against the law to discriminate against people for their political beliefs in all phase of employment: recruitment, workplace conditions and terms as well as dismissal...This is a political statement made by Kap about racial inequities and is protected speech..that is the crux of the matter and why the league is back pedaling and soft shoeing the issue. In a league dominated by African Americans, there should be questions about Kap's lack of employment and the reasons why.
I don't believe "political belief" is a protected class under the law. Regardless Kaepernick doesn't even vote so I'd argue he has no political beliefs.

Mustapha00

And I agree...but what the players and the national media are focusing on is this a 'message' from the NFL...? Step out of line politically, and we will blackball you. Its especially glaring because its the most important position on the field. Which is why I'm concerned about it. Do I want to watch a product that endorses this behavior...? That shows bias against race or politics..? It's an ugly situation and one the NFL has to answer for eventually....

That line of thinking didn't work well for Tim Tebow, did it?

While some >think< that Kaepernick is being punished for his political beliefs, we know that Curt Schilling, for just one example, was punished for his. Were those who are throwing themselves on the floor having fits over 'free speech rights' protesting then?

Sports are not only becoming politicized, but politicized in favor only of the Left. A WNBA team wore shirts with the names of two black men killed by police officers along with the Black Lives Matter logo on t-shirts before one of their games. The WNBA has an official policy against making political statements on the court- a crucial distinction, that- by its players, coaches, management or the like. The league fined these players, in accordance with their stated rules- rules which the player's union reviewed and okayed. The players and their supporters whined and the league rescinded the fine.

Would they have done that if several players wore t-shirts that said...oh, I don't know...."Make America Great Again"?

DeletedUser

Maybe this thread needs to be shut down, since it has strayed so far off topic? o_O

DeletedUser26120

If we closed every thread that strayed off topic, we'd shut down half the forums.

Anyway, it's a NFL thread and NFL players/teams are being discussed. Seems okay to me.

I'd rather all NFL discussion be here in one thread than all over the place anyway.