• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] No House city?

spnnr

I was intrigued reading the diamond farmers / Heavy questing guides and the extent to which players make their city lean and mean with a particular focus.

Thus I am contemplating the question do I really need houses? Is it plausible or even advisable to consider removing all houses from your city and using the gbs that provide population to provide such? The only drawback I can forecast is coin production will drop off ... but maybe I am a bit myopic ..

As an extension can we go even further and use the gbs to provide goods as well instead of relying on goods buildings (in ages below modern ages)?

The Assumption is that this is for a non GVG city ..

DeletedUser31440

SoK's and SSW's for coin production. LoA, SMB, RAH, FoD for goods. CF for goods and happiness. It's more easily done on older worlds, buying higher aged goods will be easier and cheaper.

DeletedUser

My city on S world had no houses, goods buildings or supply buildings for most of the time I was in CE. SoKs, Tribal Squares and my GBs along with some Wishing Wells provided everything.

DeletedUser27184

Is it plausible or even advisable to consider removing all houses from your city and using the gbs that provide population to provide such? The only drawback I can forecast is coin production will drop off ... but maybe I am a bit myopic ..
Yes.
A good lean city don't need houses. But this is close to impossible without some buildup preparation of the city.
You need some SoK's and SSW's first to give you the coins as a replacement for the buildings. But those are not enough, you must build the SMB and level it, as you need the coin multipliers. Without the SMB you need much more SoK, and therefor it takes much longer. Build the SMB ASAP. Also for population you want to build IT and not Capitol, as the IT gives better pop AND FP.

I think I managed to kick all the houses with my 7th SoK, and SMB around level 6-7, IT around level 4.

As an extension can we go even further and use the gbs to provide goods as well instead of relying on goods buildings (in ages below modern ages)?
Yes.
Surprisingly, the most important goods building is the CF. Doing a lot of recurring quests + UBQ while having a CF level 10, can easily give you 100-200 goods per day (more up to CA, less as you go up the ages).
Again, you need to build your city around it. I advise to slog through the endless bickering and pages in the following thread and read how you can get the maximum out of your CF: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/cosmic-ravens-version-of-heavy-questing.15777/
In that thread CR (the thread writer) shows how with a lot of supply buildings and CF you can run many recurring quests per day: the supply quest, the FP quest and the coin recurring quest.

I would advise not to build any goods GB unless their 2nd advantage is worth it. After ME those GB produce unrefined goods, and thus you will use them much less and you will use the CF for goods.
SMB, RaH and LoA are good buildings as their second advantage is good. So I would build those for some goods before ME era and level those.
I strongly advise not to build: FoD, ToB. Even if those are available in low eras, don't build and level those as they will become mostly useless later on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Mole

On E world I have no houses, supply or goods buildings - and no barracks apart from Champ and rogue - 1 of each.
Don't buy diamonds and complete lv 4 GE each week and do a fair amount of pvp with added plundering.
Plenty of terrace farms, tribal squares, wishing wells / fountains and about 19 GBs

spnnr

Can I ask why? I don't understand how this relates to the main question.

Oh, wait. Maybe I do. Yeah, except for GvG needing mundane Barracks , I do agree that a city needs no mundane buildings.

Except Blacksmiths. Lots of Blacksmiths to do Event Quests. And a chair. All I need is this chair...

Spot on Algona and I suspect leaving a working space will be sufficient to do DC and Events tasks..

Yes.
A good lean city don't need houses. But this is close to impossible without some buildup preparation of the city.
You need some SoK's and SSW's first to give you the coins as a replacement for the buildings. But those are not enough, you must build the SMB and level it, as you need the coin multipliers. Without the SMB you need much more SoK, and therefor it takes much longer. Build the SMB ASAP. Also for population you want to build IT and not Capitol, as the IT gives better pop AND FP.

I think I managed to kick all the houses with my 7th SoK, and SMB around level 6-7, IT around level 4.

Yes.
Surprisingly, the most important goods building is the CF. Doing a lot of recurring quests + UBQ while having a CF level 10, can easily give you 100-200 goods per day (more up to CA, less as you go up the ages).
Again, you need to build your city around it. I advise to slog through the endless bickering and pages in the following thread and read how you can get the maximum out of your CF: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/cosmic-ravens-version-of-heavy-questing.15777/
In that thread CR (the thread writer) shows how with a lot of supply buildings and CF you can run many recurring quests per day: the supply quest, the FP quest and the coin recurring quest.

I would advise not to build any goods GB unless their 2nd advantage is worth it. After ME those GB produce unrefined goods, and thus you will use them much less and you will use the CF for goods.
SMB, RaH and LoA are good buildings as their second advantage is good. So I would build those for some goods before ME era and level those.
I strongly advise not to build: FoD, ToB. Even if those are available in low eras, don't build and level those as they will become mostly useless later on.

Great points Jobus -and yeah it does take a bit of time and effort to slog through noise in that thread ..lol .

The ME goods conundrum was the issue that I was most worried about -thanks for the great advise

On E world I have no houses, supply or goods buildings - and no barracks apart from Champ and rogue - 1 of each.
Don't buy diamonds and complete lv 4 GE each week and do a fair amount of pvp with added plundering.
Plenty of terrace farms, tribal squares, wishing wells / fountains and about 19 GBs

Nice -sounds like a plan . Thanks DM

DeletedUser

Most of your post was good advice, but this part is dead wrong. You should build all the goods GBs as early as you can, and level them up. They will come in handy early, and when you reach Modern Era and up they become priceless. That's because they switch to unrefined goods (goods from 3 ages previous) and double their production. Not only will this enable you to use regular goods buildings for your current era if necessary, but you can trade these unrefined goods to get what you need. And best of all, when you get to CE, your goods GBs will be producing Progressive goods, which you can sell for FPs to lower level players wanting to build a Traz or Chateau.

Algona

Most of your post was good advice, but this part is dead wrong. You should build all the goods GBs as early as you can, and level them up. They will come in handy early, and when you reach Modern Era and up they become priceless. That's because they switch to unrefined goods (goods from 3 ages previous) and double their production. Not only will this enable you to use regular goods buildings for your current era if necessary, but you can trade these unrefined goods to get what you need. And best of all, when you get to CE, your goods GBs will be producing Progressive goods, which you can sell for FPs to lower level players wanting to build a Traz or Chateau.

Completely agreed abd exactly what I'm doing.

Last edited:

spnnr

That's because they switch to unrefined goods (goods from 3 ages previous) and double their production. Not only will this enable you to use regular goods buildings for your current era if necessary, but you can trade these unrefined goods to get what you need. And best of all, when you get to CE, your goods GBs will be producing Progressive goods, which you can sell for FPs to lower level players wanting to build a Traz or Chateau.

Thanks for the addition and that pearl of wisdom about the goods. I am in PE and was wondering about the goods they produce at modern. Solid advice as usual.

It is rather interesting to see how players can configure the game mechanics to create niches which seeks to take advantage of various aspects of the game . I used to think a while ago that you could only play a certain way and it is a bit irritating seeing players just treating the game like pokemon -got to catch em all -just building because they can and replicating templates rather than stamping their individual preferences.

DeletedUser

It is rather interesting to see how players can configure the game mechanics to create niches which seeks to take advantage of various aspects of the game
Speaking of creating niches, Contemporary Era is the absolute best era to camp out for an extended period of time. Especially if you use this "no residential, production or goods buildings" approach. Get enough Tribal Squares and/or Oases (that is the plural for Oasis, right?) to produce your current era goods, SoKs and SSWs for coins and FP, GE will produce your unattached troops, coin/FP RQs will help with all your needs. Supplies is the only real stickler sometimes, but the need for them is minimized with the lack of goods buildings to run.

On top of all that, the AAV is the absolute master unit to use with 7 Rogues. If you've got decently leveled attack GBs, the 1 AAV/7 Rogue lineup will dominate in GE. And even if you hadn't built the Traz by then, it would be easy to construct with your goods GBs pumping out all the Traz goods you would need. And the Chateau would be a breeze, too, which would maximize your RQ output of goods, coins, supplies and medals.

CE is the one age that I think justifies passing on events in order to stay put.

DeletedUser27184

Most of your post was good advice, but this part is dead wrong. You should build all the goods GBs as early as you can, and level them up. They will come in handy early, and when you reach Modern Era and up they become priceless. That's because they switch to unrefined goods (goods from 3 ages previous) and double their production. Not only will this enable you to use regular goods buildings for your current era if necessary, but you can trade these unrefined goods to get what you need.
As usual its down to the personal play style. I will try to explain the reasons behind my play-style and my previous post answer.

The OP asked for a lean mean parking machine.
The advise Stephen wrote is about the standard city that park a bit, then go up an age or era a bit and so on. For those Stephen is right.

But lets talk about the lean, mean, parking machine (LMPM!!! :) and how it may evolve in those era's regarding goods production.
Lets focus the talk about ME and up eras, as the OP asked about them specifically.

The city will park for a long periods, and it should level the GB's a lot. So let's see how much we can get out of it, with a moderately leveled CF.

LMPM will probably have a high level CF. Hopefully, by the time you hit the above ME eras, it would be level 26+.
As you level up the era's you will run the RQ's. How many, is a good question. But hopefully at least 26 times a day. That should net you 150 goods per day or more. It means 13 standard RQ's and 13 UBQ's, which is not a lot to ask from a LMPM!!!
This is worth about 5-6 goods buildings, and it should suffice for advancing through an era (and getting the needed goods) in about a 2 months (using the following tool to calculate how many goods you need: http://www.wildgunner.co.uk/FoE/ResearchResources.php).

If you want to advance faster, you can do more RQ's. With 25 RQ's and 25 UBQ's you cut the time to a month an era. That can be a bit hard, so it really depend on your own play style.
For faster leveling, you can build a few extra goods buildings. Your SMB, RaH and LaO, all part of a good LMPM city, should give you 100+ unrefined goods.
With the above numbers, I cant see why to build FoD and get more unrefined goods that will probably won't be used.

And this bring us to the 2nd point:
And best of all, when you get to CE, your goods GBs will be producing Progressive goods, which you can sell for FPs to lower level players wanting to build a Traz or Chateau.
That's a very good point.
CE is unique with the fact that the unrefined goods are extremely good to sell. If you park your city at the age for a long time, and you want to harvest this option, go ahead and build FoD and ToB.

On any other era, you need to decide if you want to harvest the unrefined goods, and use them somehow . In most eras those will be useless. Some eras they are ok, and in CE they are wonderful. They are not needed by a Lean Mean Parking Machine, but they do add a lot, if you want to help guild mates or sell the goods.

spnnr

I am seeing that there are fundamentals that must be done , then based on need/age and personal preferences you modify as required. Its a bit eye opening as it seems any city can be transitioned into the aforementioned.

Cheers great advice and healthy debate which brings out the intricacies in transitioning ones city. Now I think I am no longer as nuts as I thought I was..

DeletedUser

The OP asked for a lean mean parking machine.
Actually not what he asked for. He asked this in regards to goods:
And if you are going to rely on GBs to provide goods, it is silly to not build GBs that do just that. And the small footprint of both the FoD and ToB make them ideal for this purpose. Sure, you can fill your goods needs with RQs, but then you're back to production buildings and houses. And the point of this thread is a "no-house-city", not how to use RQs. :)

DeletedUser

Actually not what he asked for. He asked this in regards to goods:

And if you are going to rely on GBs to provide goods, it is silly to not build GBs that do just that. And the small footprint of both the FoD and ToB make them ideal for this purpose. Sure, you can fill your goods needs with RQs, but then you're back to production buildings and houses. And the point of this thread is a "no-house-city", not how to use RQs. :)
Not to beat a dead horse, but the FoD will also help with getting rid of cultural buildings because of the Happiness it provides. Along with the Hagia and hopefully the Traz, it will allow you to do without any regular buildings except barracks. And speaking of barracks, that's where the ToB will also be helpful to have. Without houses, you'll need pop in order to have barracks, and that's what the ToB provides along with those goods. Of course, ideally you'll have a Rogue Hideout and the Traz, but if not the ToB is definitely helpful.

spnnr

I would agree - will copy and paste a couple of the posts , excellent info allround.