• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Notification Tweak for GbG

mamboking053

Proposal

Notification Tweak for GbG

Current System (if applicable)

There is no effective means of communication during combat in GbG. While the Message Center is available in the GbG menu, a player cannot tell the difference between important, GbG-related messages and other message traffic.

Details

From my experience, the must frustrating part of directing GbG is getting players to stop before flipping a sector. (I don't direct anything, I just see the problems people have in doing so...) I was thinking of adding a new icon to the slide menu at the lower-left of that screen which would be a trumpet (or whatever...) Only certain people will have access to this feature (like leaders). It is very simple. When the leader wishes to call a stop to action in GbG, they will press the icon, and all players in the Guild will get a green/blue notification icon on top of the trumpet (or a flashing trumpet on the pc) which will let all players currently active know that a plea to stop all action was called.

For those players that value their individuality and don't care to be moderated, this is only a notification and does not force any action, nor does it reveal any data on your actions. You can ignore it if you want and continue what you are doing. This seemed to be a short, simple, effective, visual indicator that get's across an important, easily and quickly identifiable message in real-time without lag being a factor.

If adding a new icon is too hard, then I propose that a special thread be added to the normal Message Center. This thread will function like any other created thread except that when a message is written in it, it will create a green or blue icon instead of a red one. The Green or Blue icon will always take precedence over the red in the event that both are active simultaneously. This allows the same functionality as the above idea along with a dedicated thread to provide further instructions.

Abuse Prevention

I don't think I see any...

Visual Aids

Exactly my point...

Conclusion

Better communication, minimal effort. You might not like the idea, exactly, but if you like the general concept, feel free to improve on this idea.

Algona

I vote no.

One Diamond Guild I am in publishes detailed battle orders before fighting starts with specifics on whether to take the Province or leave it at a specific amount of advances.

Both Diamond Guilds have gotten players to understand to frequently check the Orders and Guild threads while fighting for updates on targets and goals.

All it takes is a bit of foresight and working with your team to get them to slow down a bit.

DevaCat

I vote no.

In essence this just makes life easier for a Battlegrounds general, and while I personally enjoy watching the would-be Napoleons gnash their teeth in frustration, the real reason for my vote is that the way things are now is difficult and I think that makes for a better, more interesting game.

Some successful guilds have it figured out. Your people just automatically check whatever Orders or Targets threads you have set up before going in, and most of your problems go away. True, you gotta train em to do that first and there's the rub, right?

Anyway, an upcoming change to GBG may help out the poor generals and make this proposal moot.

mamboking053

I vote no.

In essence this just makes life easier for a Battlegrounds general, and while I personally enjoy watching the would-be Napoleons gnash their teeth in frustration, the real reason for my vote is that the way things are now is difficult and I think that makes for a better, more interesting game.

Some successful guilds have it figured out. Your people just automatically check whatever Orders or Targets threads you have set up before going in, and most of your problems go away. True, you gotta train em to do that first and there's the rub, right?

Anyway, an upcoming change to GBG may help out the poor generals and make this proposal moot.
What change is that?