• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Numbers

DeletedUser

The topic is how many of you believe that terrorism is the biggest threat still even after reading these numbers?

Lets start with a warm up.. About 6 million Jews died in WW2.. Which by the way was a disgusting period of time.. However, did you also know about the 26 million Russians who died? No, not many people do because it isn't talked about all the time.

An estimation of 75% of Korea was bombed during the Korean war.

From 2001-2009 there were roughly 3,000 deaths in the United States from terrorist attacks.

Here are some other numbers from the US that aren't CONSTANTLY talked about in the headlines.

2001-2009

192,000 Homicide
204,000 Drunk Driving
360,000 Suicide
456,000 Second Hand Smoke
873,780 Diabetes
4,622,268 Cancer
5,304,000 Smoking Related
6,238,284 Heart Disease

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well, I suppose it's nice to see you back on the forums lol...

Anyway, I don't think terrorism is the biggest threat out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Terrorism has long been beat-up; one could say 9/11 worked perfectly. Being "tough on terrorism" is the patriotic thing to do, so sadly the message is reinforced every four years, although credit to President Obama for at least acting sensibly (ending the knee-jerk response initiated by Dubya).

What did surprise me is the number of deaths from passive smoking, I wouldn't have put that at almost half a million… Homicide of course is to be expected, with gun laws at strict as Somalia.