• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Oceanic Future units are the best (so far).

DeletedUser36624

I don't think that's possible. The game won't give you the story quests for the next age until you're actually in that age. The recurring quests will just keep recurring, and they won't give you units from the next age.
Um, are you really in VF?

DeletedUser33179

I don't think that's possible. The game won't give you the story quests for the next age until you're actually in that age. The recurring quests will just keep recurring, and they won't give you units from the next age.

You absolutely can win advanced age units from advancing the Map/side-bonus quests. Periodically, you'll run into intentional game blocks that require you advance up in Ages to go further. My main city is in LMA & has 8 Col Age troops from such quests/map advancement. Many have troops 3-4 ages above their current age. Of course there are always issues with taking your Map too far out of sync with your current Age/tech tree status. Thus, is best if folks truly understand all such issues well prior to racing along the Map.

Zatrikon

Um, are you really in VF?
Yes. I'm really in VF.

Clara Osgood claims that it's possible to get units from side quests related to map progress - that if you advance ahead of your age on the map, you'll get quests for ages you aren't in yet, and that those quests might award you unattached units from an age you haven't reached yet. I'll take her word for it,but I've never seen it happen. She even claimed that "many" have troops from 3-4 ages past their age. It seems unlikely to me that "many" have conquered Modern Era provinces with Late Middle Age units. And I don't see why anyone would want to try.

Most of the players I know complete the tech tree for the age they're in long before they've completed the map for the age they're in. It's a whole lot easier that way. You'll have much stronger military units to fight with. As well as the goods to negotiate with if you want to.

mamboking053

My thoughts:
OF was extremely poorly thought out
1) the hover tank, a unit from 2 eras earlier, runs roughshod over the vast majority of units, and pretty much any mixed slate of them. Even moreso since its adjustment which really just made it a little more vulnerable to VF units. In some case it made it STRONGER against AF and OF units.
2) most of the units have no role and their abilities are often more flavor than useful.
- the manta doesn't have enough range to retaliate with contact against the eel, one of the units it's supposed to counter
- the octopod's ability never gets used. it's just a wad of stats that gets blown up by artillery. can't do anything that couldn't be done by any number of other units.
- the nautilus is 100% inferior to its sub cousin. contact and dug-in > energy shield.
- the scimitar is like a worse dragon drone (much higher stats - but no flying makes it hard to use the same way - waiting for a turn just out of range gives the enemy artillery free shots)
- the crab is too short of range to be usable in general
- the medusa is little more than a surprise all ages GvG defense for hover tanks
- the glider's abilities are useless (no amount of swarming can let them survive two hits from anything relevant in the age). The only perk is that it's a new flying unit but usually a dragon drone can fill the fights where that matters as well as a glider.
3) having 10 units means even where there is a particular defense that might justify a niche unit, you *never* see it in GE.

VF is looking even worse
- Ronin Bot : was the bread and butter unit of the age... about to give way to artillery
- Samurai : contact, range 1. what is it retaliating against? "we'll understand better in future parts". All this means to me is we're likely going to get a really bad fast unit too.
- Rocket Squad : well we finally gave a heavy that could handle a couple artillery on defense again... oops! turturret on roids away! Turturrets were already a viable counter to ronin, and the VF artillery is the same ability with double the stats.
- Ninja : primarily defensive annoyance unit. would be situationally useful in mixed offenses if you had to - but mostly you don't. You'd also need to use surrender and restart a fair bit to get good forests/landing spots.

Balance as it will sit after part 2 is released:
Rocket Squad obliterates Samurai and Ronin
Ninja annoys Rocket Squad - enough of them will be prohibitive to using the artillery in two wave encounters with a significant number of ninjas in wave 1.
Ronin survives Ninja but can't really protect things from them. Also beats any defense that doesn't have much artillery.
Samurai isn't really good enough to do anything better than a Ronin Bot.

Hover Tank beats all of them with patience but the stats are getting high enough that they're challenged.
Dragon Drone is also situationally useful with the same stat challenge caveat.
Glider may finally see a use as having enough stats for when you want a flyer because there's a ton of artillery.

I've been reading older threads in the forums and you consistently give the best and most detailed advice in the forums- especially concerning combat. I appreciate this.

EnamIccug

Depends on the age. You can definitely progress in the story quests ahead of your current age in certain eras. For instance, it's possible to get PME troops from story quests (only a few, maybe a couple commandos and a champion) while your city is still in PE (and possibly Indy). It's also possible, if you're in CE and have left enough unresearched techs in previous eras, to progress in the story line far enough to get a good number of OF troops.

Zatrikon

I'm starting to think that Ninjas, with their low speed and short range are actually worse than the Augmented Samurai.

Zatrikon

I always seem to get maps with hardly any forests in them. So when I use Ninjas, they don't have enough movement to get to the nearest forest, so they get killed immediately. And even when they can get to a forest, their range is to short to hit any opposing units because the forest is too far away.

DeletedUser29726

I always seem to get maps with hardly any forests in them. So when I use Ninjas, they don't have enough movement to get to the nearest forest, so they get killed immediately. And even when they can get to a forest, their range is to short to hit any opposing units because the forest is too far away.

How they work well on continent is that your boost is way higher than the army you're fighting. As such while your ninja isn't hidden it a) hits first because of rapid deployment and b) only takes 1-2 damage from the enemy. So you just load 8 ninjas and auto.

Zatrikon

Huh. I guess I don't have as high a defense boost as you do. My Ninjas generally take more than 1-2 damage from enemy hits.

EnamIccug

With a high enough boost, combined with spending coins on infiltrating, the ninjas one-shot most troops before they even have a chance to act. And even if they don't, they only take a tick or two of damage.

DeletedUser33036

With a high enough boost, combined with spending coins on infiltrating, the ninjas one-shot most troops before they even have a chance to act. And even if they don't, they only take a tick or two of damage.
What percentages are your boosts?

Goth Almighty

My thoughts:
OF was extremely poorly thought out
1) the hover tank, a unit from 2 eras earlier, runs roughshod over the vast majority of units, and pretty much any mixed slate of them. Even moreso since its adjustment which really just made it a little more vulnerable to VF units. In some case it made it STRONGER against AF and OF units.
2) most of the units have no role and their abilities are often more flavor than useful.
- the manta doesn't have enough range to retaliate with contact against the eel, one of the units it's supposed to counter
- the octopod's ability never gets used. it's just a wad of stats that gets blown up by artillery. can't do anything that couldn't be done by any number of other units.
- the nautilus is 100% inferior to its sub cousin. contact and dug-in > energy shield.
- the scimitar is like a worse dragon drone (much higher stats - but no flying makes it hard to use the same way - waiting for a turn just out of range gives the enemy artillery free shots)
- the crab is too short of range to be usable in general
- the medusa is little more than a surprise all ages GvG defense for hover tanks
- the glider's abilities are useless (no amount of swarming can let them survive two hits from anything relevant in the age). The only perk is that it's a new flying unit but usually a dragon drone can fill the fights where that matters as well as a glider.
3) having 10 units means even where there is a particular defense that might justify a niche unit, you *never* see it in GE.

VF is looking even worse
- Ronin Bot : was the bread and butter unit of the age... about to give way to artillery
- Samurai : contact, range 1. what is it retaliating against? "we'll understand better in future parts". All this means to me is we're likely going to get a really bad fast unit too.
- Rocket Squad : well we finally gave a heavy that could handle a couple artillery on defense again... oops! turturret on roids away! Turturrets were already a viable counter to ronin, and the VF artillery is the same ability with double the stats.
- Ninja : primarily defensive annoyance unit. would be situationally useful in mixed offenses if you had to - but mostly you don't. You'd also need to use surrender and restart a fair bit to get good forests/landing spots.

Balance as it will sit after part 2 is released:
Rocket Squad obliterates Samurai and Ronin
Ninja annoys Rocket Squad - enough of them will be prohibitive to using the artillery in two wave encounters with a significant number of ninjas in wave 1.
Ronin survives Ninja but can't really protect things from them. Also beats any defense that doesn't have much artillery.
Samurai isn't really good enough to do anything better than a Ronin Bot.

Hover Tank beats all of them with patience but the stats are getting high enough that they're challenged.
Dragon Drone is also situationally useful with the same stat challenge caveat.
Glider may finally see a use as having enough stats for when you want a flyer because there's a ton of artillery.

If you say this thread is a little old for me to be replying to it now (2+ years is a little old?) it's OK, since I just moved up to the OF. Anyways, it's interesting what you said about the Hover craft. I only ever autofight so feel (fell) in love with it thru the earlier ages. It is not as powerful now that I'm in the OF but I still haven't found a single OF military unit that can outfight it (i.e., fight better than it does) on a regular basis, through GE, let's say. I was so enamored by the HC that I figured another unit will appear that will replace it in the higher eras. Alas, I'm afraid it's true what you point out that the OF was extremely poorly thought out. Kudos for that thought.

Also, I would like confirmation what OP #1 said about Scimitars that they could outfight anything other than artillery. True? Is that the replacement for my HC?

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I just moved up to AF and find that while the HT is still king it is getting noticeably weaker. My current Max Att on AB is 60 and it used to be 73 in FE. Battlefortresses have a niche combat slot now as well , they have a massive defence stat. Raiders are better for hi att attacks as they have a huge attack stat and the movement is unlimited (35 I think)

Last edited by a moderator:

Algona

A little perspective:

This thread was written about the time that 1.9 was becoming common practice. It's also well before GBG added so much to powering GBs. It's also well before INNO added SBs that enhance attackers defence.

In other words, attacker boosts have changed a lot.

I suspect that any or all of these factors especially the latter could influence the relative effectiveness of units.

A note on DletedUser29726

xivarmy was an amazing poster, excellent theoreticioan, top notch player, and great communicator.

Last edited by a moderator:

FluffyPhoenix

So! I'm going to give a review from my experiences on a world that has forgone attack altogether and one that's the total opposite since this thread is back alive.

Without attack: Subs have been amazing to counter most things, turts are still great, and gliders are good for many artillery fights. The other seven I've barely used other than for the heck of it.
With attack: Subs wreck everything when turts can't. I still used hovers against anything that wasn't a medusa, including CRABs.