• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Optimizing Cherry sets?

DeletedUser26120

Anybody have any tips on optimizing cherry sets? I was wondering if there's a better way to set up mine? I currently have 4 full gardens in 4 different 5x5 spots, but some extra pieces.

I was wondering if there was a way to add the 2 extra sakura rocks and another zen zone to activate the bonuses without wasting space?

Or perhaps there's a way to arrange them all into a mega-set minus a pond or two? Here is what I have:

4 gongs
5 zen zones
6 sakura rocks
6 nishi ponds
4 emperor's entrances

Is there an optimal set, or one that I could have with any particular extra pieces?

DeletedUser32328

Started drafting a bit. This can be put in if you have North/south roads with eight tiles in between.
The yellow part is what I would actually put. Four sets minus two ponds. And in the 3 by 5 area, you can put a 3*3 and an SSW. Or a bountiful cider mill if you have one of those.
Not really pleased with the rest as two of the ponds don't fully work. And the South part especially makes me want to throw up with those single tiles by the road side.

Capture-20180821-154827447.png

DeletedUser34800

@Dursland

https://imgur.com/a/EnMHCrI

This is how I have my lvl 2 sets. Found this SoK/Cherry Garden set combo on the wiki. I liked the set-up. 16 FPs, only required 1 Nish pond, and let me add in 2 SoKs.

At the time of the event, when everyone was talking about set-ups, this seemed the most efficient way. Maybe it's not now if people came up with a better idea? Don't know. I stuck with it. Having the power of 2 sets with 2 SoKs and only 1 Nish pond was something I liked.

DeletedUser29726

Without knowing your precise priorities (maximising FP? using all the rocks? how many of the pieces are level 2 vs level 1?) here's a few of my ideas (different orientation than last poster as the side i consider 'top' in the city in my head is different)

upload_2018-8-21_19-29-37.png

The top section with the gongs uses the double set layout that shares emperor entrance and zen zone to maximise rocks. One rock-pond pair can be removed from the middle segment if maximising rocks wasn't a priority. Roads aren't fixed in stone and exact positions depend on what else you'd fill the area with.

The bottom section demonstrates supporting additional rocks minimally in a way that meshes well with a normal row of buildings. The emperor's entrances and zen zones in this section aren't fully supported but are supported enough to provide 1 FP as level 1s (1 support for emperor, 2 for zen) so that they're not a total waste of space. The zen zones will not provide goods, or the emperor's entrance the 2nd FP at level 2. In the event you had 4 rocks to support instead of only 2, one emperor's entrance can be shared with the second set of 2 rocks so it becomes 4 zen zones, 2 ponds, and 3 entrances to support 4 rocks instead of 2,1,2 to support 2.

In total this layout uses 6 rocks, 4 gongs, 5 ponds, 4 zen zones, and 4 emperor's entrances so it does mesh with what you have.

A layout i would've recommended instead that focuses on minimising ponds (because who really wants ponds anyways) but you're short a part for :

upload_2018-8-21_19-39-36.png

This uses 6 rocks, 4 gongs, 6 zen zones, 6 emperor's entrances, and only 3 ponds :)

At any rate, hope this gave some ideas - What you decide on exactly depends a lot on your priorities as well as what road spacing is convenient for the rest of your stuff.

DeletedUser29726

One last little layout tidbit - orienting the rock-pond trio in the other direction with the same parts gets all pieces fully supported if you need to embrace extra level 2s :

upload_2018-8-21_19-55-44.png

DeletedUser32824

I had a couple extra zen stones and here is how i threw mine in. Not sure if this will help, but maybe it will spark a thought. You could also start 2 more gongs in each corner, but then the layout might start to get unwieldy.

If you aren't dying for that little extra military boost, I'd personally leave the decorations in my inventory in place of something that generates FPs. But, that's just me :)

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 10.24.34 PM.png

DeletedUser32824

The emperors entrance and zen stone on the left/top need roads going to them.

DeletedUser32824

I'm necroing the junk out of this thread, because I think it's applicable again! I have enough selection kits and existing buildings for the following:
  • 4 emperors entrances
  • 4 zen stones
  • 4 gongs
  • 2 sakura
  • 2 nishi ponds

I'm trying to maximize FP output and have stolen the following design off of last year's event comments on the fandom wiki. If anyone has a better "4 sets" setup please let me know!

zen4.gif

DeletedUser29726

I'm necroing the junk out of this thread, because I think it's applicable again! I have enough selection kits and existing buildings for the following:
  • 4 emperors entrances
  • 4 zen stones
  • 4 gongs
  • 2 sakura
  • 2 nishi ponds

I'm trying to maximize FP output and have stolen the following design off of last year's event comments on the fandom wiki. If anyone has a better "4 sets" setup please let me know!

View attachment 12148

For maximising FP, you tend to want to max out fully supported gongs. Ideal for this is the 'staircase' setup where the first set takes 5 pieces and each additional gong takes 3 more, and can be continued as long as you have space:

with 4 gongs this looks like :

upload_2019-4-7_18-10-55.png

It uses 1 less Emperor's Entrance and Zen Zone than you have planned atm. But those aren't a big loss - and you could always move to 6 gongs, 4 zen zones and emperor's entrances with 3 rocks and ponds.

DeletedUser32824

Thanks Xiv! I actually use that same setup currently with 2 gongs, but it might be a pain to try and fit that in my current city. In fact, I'm going to have to do a massive overhaul for just about any additional cherry pieces! I'm at the point where everything in my city makes FP or it's a GB, I just have to decide what to get rid of to make room for the cherry set! (probably a TF or 2 and adding in some SOKs!)

qaccy

@amiar They're similar enough that pretty much any 'combo build' for the Piazza set should apply to the Cherry Garden as well. Maybe a bit easier for the latter because there's less of a road dependency. Indeed, that image you posted looks almost identical to the 'Piazza Hut' build in the associated thread, minus what would be two additional gongs in the narrow empty rows in the middle.