• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Playstyle Variants of FoE

DeletedUser26965

Running across the Tiny Town thread again got me thinking again how I'd like to make a post like this. I'm looking to put together in a single post the various ways people have played the game. Not to argue which is best or how to guide or anything like that but to bring attention to the various styles and variants out there. I suppose one could categorize them to such a degree and argue if it's strategy or challenge or just fun or whatever but I'm just looking to get them all under one roof in a simple list, a small description and maybe with some examples. I'll update the list as time goes by and when I can get screenshots of things. And of course these are mere examples, not hard and fast rules of what they are called and described as, as there can be vaiants to each as well.

Tiny/Small Town: The idea being only use the starting expansions you're given to play. Examples here Smallville and Tiny Town

Arc Centric: The basic idea is to get The Arc power leveled and go from there.

Recurring Quest Centric: The basic idea being to utilize Recurring Quests as your main source of needs for the game.

Extended Camper: Simply speaking is to stay in an age for an extended period of time typically much longer than ever needed and sometimes for the entirety of ones game life.

Goods Merchant: One who plays the life of trading goods. Often jumps to and from many guilds to trade. Can sometimes be tied to a guild in search of needed goods, or sometimes just likes to constantly float, and rarely last if they're not good and honest.

The Farmer: One who plays the game mainly in support of their GE/GvG guild by farming goods as opposed to fighting. (c/o Orius Maximus below)

GvG Only, PvP Only, GE Only: A guild of players whose focus is either Guild vs Guild or Guild Expeditions or PvP Tournaments though generally it's mostly just either GvG or GE or both of those.

No GB City: Never build any Great Buildings but still advance at a general pace.

The GB Collector: Build and keep every single Great Building in the game, yes even Colosseum.

The Social Bug: Just here for socializing and not really into any style or ever doing much actual gameplay.

No Special Buildings: Never build any Special Buildings

Nothing but Special Buildings: Have a city using nothing but Special Buildings. Not so hard nowadays with so many Events, Daily Challenges, GE and direct purchases.

Big Spender: Buy a whole bunch of diamonds and dominate any world. Typically do this during one of the main four Seasonal Events; Spring, Summer, Fall and/or Winter and buy numerous duplicates of the main prize, often done when a new world opens.

Never Build Anything, No Diamonds Spent, But Advance: I'm not entirely sure on this one but I think I've ran across a couple attempts by people to start the game then after the tutorial never build anything but still try to advance. I imagine they get most of all their goods from trading their fp's and what little coins and supplies they get from the starting buildings is saved for tech. Perhaps a Recurring Quest variant to some degree, not sure.

The Normy: Just play as the game goes, progress when able, build whatever helps, no real strategy just advance and play whatever suits you.

The Soloist: Never joins a guild, obviously

The Ghost Guild: A guild created specifically for GvG, often used by cheaters.

The Rusher: Reach the end of tech and cmap as quickly as possible. (c/o BashaDrake below)

The Diamond Farmer: Create cities on multiple worlds and use Wishing Wells, Fountain of Youth and/or GE encounters to gain diamonds which are crossworld. (c/o THEKYLe below)

The Pacifist: Never battle, except maybe when tempted. (c/o Lauramiller below)

The Absolute Pacifist: Have 0 Battles the entire time you play,except for the tutorial of course else your gaming days end real quick.

The Artist: One who focuses on beautifiction or theme based looking cities rather than maximizing production. (c/o Dreikhelm below)

Incoming idea shot-gun related to the subset of PvP related play styles (Feel free to add/modify/use anything that strikes your fancy):

The Plunderer: Yar~ The booty is good and we like the booty.~

The Turtle(Power!): 300+%, StB & DC and no worries about plunderers! Now where's my Pizza?

The Berserker: 0% defense = profitz. 0% + Plundering = ++profits!

The Misled Balanced approach: Defense to keep the wannabe plunderers out, but not enough to keep the dangerous ones away from their palaces/T.Farms/Cherries.

Even more sub-types:

Justice Must be Served: This person only plunders when a player performs a transgression upon them. This could include other retribution acts, like sniping or GB flipping.

Paladin Solo: What I assume ardak kumerin was. I'm basing this off an old post I recall him bragging about being pure and a screenshot of a zero on his outlaw achievement.

Would you like some Cheese?: Wine. So much wine from these players.

The 'Daily' Raider: For the JCera/Lauramiller peeps.

An Irate Pirate: The plunderers who feel the need to overuse trash talk on their prey.

Astrology Secret Sign - Cancer: My final days will be thinking about how "PLUNDERER X" stole my cheese from my goat farm. Also my sweet rolls.

Taxman: The balanced approach to plundering everyday and trash-talking (What's a good sportsmanship term for that?) the Cheese/ASS-C players.

Maybe i'll shoot out some more later.

I like lists and have been thinking of making a topic similar to this, but more in depth on plundering/handling plundering play styles. So I like your idea and will continue to be lazy about actually working on mine.

more to come...

As for me personally I played as a normy, though a bit of The Rusher at times too because being at the end gives a third recurring questgiver and so switched to a recurring quest variant during Oceanic Future September 2017 and been playing that ever since. Mention yours below if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34363

Don't forget "The Rusher": Playing to reach the end of the last Era as fast as possible. A common strategy in many games, but from what I have read here on the forums not a wise one for this game.

DeletedUser26965

Don't forget "The Rusher": Playing to reach the end of the last Era as fast as possible. A common strategy in many games, but from what I have read here on the forums not a wise one for this game.
Added to list, ty for the reminder.

DeletedUser10720

My primary city is focused on the GB collection. I've managed to build every GB to date and as of right now am approximately 31 levels away from having them all reach 10+. A goal I should reach within the next ~100 days at my current rate of leveling. After this I will focus on getting each to 20. Then 30, with the intent of getting all to 80, eventually.
I've chosen not to hyper focus on taking one to 80 then selecting a 2nd target with the minder of keeping all somewhat even, though certain ones do take priority to get to the next target, I want to keep them relatively equal to keep bonuses even.
I've also got a total of 6 diamond farm cities with a sum total of 215 wells that find my primary.
With this strategy I've been able to complete all of tech over the last 4 years. Taken over the Cmap and finished every event I've thought was worth completing. And currently have 14k diamonds in savings for the summer event and upcoming VF.
I also get all my happy, population, and other resources without having to use tech tree buildings. I can use trails for all my roads and maintain enthusiasm, saving me a bit of c/s when I redesign.
I focus on refined goods production to ensure I can complete tier 4 GE and have only missed completing 2 daily challenges and 1 week of tier 4. Only due to city rearrange timer changes and life events impeding progress. Ranking wise, I'm in the top 300 on D world and have managed to be too broke to spend a dollar on this game ( or any other for that matter).
I recently started a challenge city on Z world and started a thread detailing all of the 'rules' I've laid out for this in the Z world forums. But it's effectively limiting to 1gb per age and 1 of each special building. To see what a city will be capable of when having everything that has been released.

DeletedUser26965

I've also got a total of 6 diamond farm cities
gees, how I could forget that, I got 25 myself lol. I'll add to the list and I renamed the all GB one to The GB Collector, thank you for your addition to the thread.

DeletedUser29623

You need one for players like me and @JCera, who avoid battling. She’s better at it than I am because I can’t resist trying to win prizes in the DCs, but I have only 144 battles and no military buildings or GBs (I don’t know about @JCera in this dept.).

DeletedUser31592

You need one for players like me and @JCera, who avoid battling. She’s better at it than I am because I can’t resist trying to win prizes in the DCs, but I have only 144 battles and no military buildings or GBs (I don’t know about @JCera in this dept.).

At 2.5 years in, I had 40 battles. Now, with a little over 3 years in, I have about 600. This is due mostly to the Daily Challenges. And I aged up, so I stopped sitting out events for the moment, where before I was skipping them.

City Builders would be an appropriate name, I suppose.

DeletedUser31882

Incoming idea shot-gun related to the subset of PvP related play styles (Feel free to add/modify/use anything that strikes your fancy):

The Turtle(Power!): 300+%, StB & DC and no worries about plunderers! Now where's my Pizza?

The Misled Balanced approach: Defense to keep the wannabe plunderers out, but not enough to keep the dangerous ones away from their palaces/T.Farms/Cherries.

Even more sub-types:

Justice Must be Served: This person only plunders when a player performs a transgression upon them. This could include other retribution acts, like sniping or GB flipping.

Paladin Solo: What I assume ardak kumerin was. I'm basing this off an old post I recall him bragging about being pure and a screenshot of a zero on his outlaw achievement.

An Irate Pirate: The plunderers who feel the need to overuse trash talk on their prey.

Astrology Secret Sign - Cancer: My final days will be thinking about how "PLUNDERER X" stole my cheese from my goat farm. Also my sweet rolls.

Taxman: The balanced approach to plundering everyday and trash-talking (What's a good sportsmanship term for that?) the Cheese/ASS-C players.

I like lists and have been thinking of making a topic similar to this, but more in depth on plundering/handling plundering play styles. So I like your idea and will continue to be lazy about actually working on mine.

DeletedUser26965

Don't forget "pretty city" players who's main focus is to make their city look good.
Thanks for the contributions, I've added to the list.

Incoming idea shot-gun related to the subset of PvP related play styles
Too many to add to the list lol, good though, thank you for adding. I just copy/paste your post into a spoiler. But yes feel free to add more.

DeletedUser30312

Interesting thread.

There's also the farmer, who concentrates on producing goods for the guild.

I'm mostly PvP Focus, with the substyles of Plunderer/Balanced Approach. I can't really keep out the dangerous types, but then I don't build Terrace Farms either. I don't get my Cherry Garden defiled that often, and those who do face my wrath. I'm looking to eventually branch out into the Merchant for the FP profits.

DeletedUser26965

Interesting thread.

There's also the farmer, who concentrates on producing goods for the guild.

I'm mostly PvP Focus, with the substyles of Plunderer/Balanced Approach. I can't really keep out the dangerous types, but then I don't build Terrace Farms either. I don't get my Cherry Garden defiled that often, and those who do face my wrath. I'm looking to eventually branch out into the Merchant for the FP profits.
Jeez, how could I forget, they even say as much when you start a new world on Browser. Il'' add it to the list.

Mustapha00

How about "Jack Of All (Too Many?) Trades"?, meaning someone who exhibits many more than even a couple of those general types on one world?

I ask because that pretty well describes me. I've gone Sybil.

Jern2017

Running across the Tiny Town thread again got me thinking again how I'd like to make a post like this. I'm looking to put together in a single post the various ways people have played the game. Not to argue which is best or how to guide or anything like that but to bring attention to the various styles and variants out there. I suppose one could categorize them to such a degree and argue if it's strategy or challenge or just fun or whatever but I'm just looking to get them all under one roof in a simple list, a small description and maybe with some examples. I'll update the list as time goes by and when I can get screenshots of things. And of course these are mere examples, not hard and fast rules of what they are called and described as, as there can be vaiants to each as well.

Tiny/Small Town: The idea being only use the starting expansions you're given to play. Examples here Smallville and Tiny Town

Arc Centric: The basic idea is to get The Arc power leveled and go from there.

Recurring Quest Centric: The basic idea being to utilize Recurring Quests as your main source of needs for the game.

Extended Camper: Simply speaking is to stay in an age for an extended period of time typically much longer than ever needed and sometimes for the entirety of ones game life.

Goods Merchant: One who plays the life of trading goods. Often jumps to and from many guilds to trade. Can sometimes be tied to a guild in search of needed goods, or sometimes just likes to constantly float, and rarely last if they're not good and honest.

The Farmer: One who plays the game mainly in support of their GE/GvG guild by farming goods as opposed to fighting. (c/o Orius Maximus below)

GvG Only, PvP Only, GE Only: A guild of players whose focus is either Guild vs Guild or Guild Expeditions or PvP Tournaments though generally it's mostly just either GvG or GE or both of those.

No GB City: Never build any Great Buildings but still advance at a general pace.

The GB Collector: Build and keep every single Great Building in the game, yes even Colosseum.

The Social Bug: Just here for socializing and not really into any style or ever doing much actual gameplay.

No Special Buildings: Never build any Special Buildings

Nothing but Special Buildings: Have a city using nothing but Special Buildings. Not so hard nowadays with so many Events, Daily Challenges, GE and direct purchases.

Big Spender: Buy a whole bunch of diamonds and dominate any world. Typically do this during one of the main four Seasonal Events; Spring, Summer, Fall and/or Winter and buy numerous duplicates of the main prize, often done when a new world opens.

Never Build Anything, No Diamonds Spent, But Advance: I'm not entirely sure on this one but I think I've ran across a couple attempts by people to start the game then after the tutorial never build anything but still try to advance. I imagine they get most of all their goods from trading their fp's and what little coins and supplies they get from the starting buildings is saved for tech. Perhaps a Recurring Quest variant to some degree, not sure.

The Normy: Just play as the game goes, progress when able, build whatever helps, no real strategy just advance and play whatever suits you.

The Soloist: Never joins a guild, obviously

The Ghost Guild: A guild created specifically for GvG, often used by cheaters.

The Rusher: Reach the end of tech and cmap as quickly as possible. (c/o BashaDrake below)

The Diamond Farmer: Create cities on multiple worlds and use Wishing Wells, Fountain of Youth and/or GE encounters to gain diamonds which are crossworld. (c/o THEKYLe below)

The Pacifist: Never battle, except maybe when tempted. (c/o Lauramiller below)

The Absolute Pacifist: Have 0 Battles the entire time you play,except for the tutorial of course else your gaming days end real quick.

The Artist: One who focuses on beautifiction or theme based looking cities rather than maximizing production. (c/o Dreikhelm below)

Even more sub-types:

more to come...

As for me personally I played as a normy, though a bit of The Rusher at times too because being at the end gives a third recurring questgiver and so switched to a recurring quest variant during Oceanic Future September 2017 and been playing that ever since. Mention yours below if you like.

Very entertaining read, thank you.

I would add the don't care/don't know player.

I'm in the PE and been seeing a few of these players at the bottom of my neighborhood .

They rush through the tech tree, but also with little to no great buildings and special buildings. Goods buildings without the map deposit for that good, buildings several eras below theirs, 2 spearfighters defense, city poorly designed and with useless decorations all over the city and so on.

Because they are so advanced age wise, they evidently enjoy the game, but don't care or don't know how to utilize several mechanics of the game .

DeletedUser3882

I didn’t see the “mercenary” / gun for hire type player who offers services in neighborhoods or most likely GvG. There’s a few guilds out there that would probably fit under “Ghosts” but there’s quite a few singular players that’ll come chomp down on a few sectors for x goods/FPs and the like as well, with no real regard to friends/loyalties/ past/current/future guild associations.

The “go for broke” and spend everything you’ve got... Personally, I’m over 700k coin per FP.
This could also be a Tower Sniper, which is way more fun in lower ages when medals are more of a premium. Let’s “teach them a lesson” or see if we can catch up in 2 days and blow through 4 years worth of Traz units!

I think I’ve pretty much done everything on the list so far at one point or another, although I’ve never really gotten into the Arc Centric (or any other ludicrous level bldg) but it’s coming.. :/

I say that but it’s just too repetitive/tedious for me. I tend to be way too ADOooooooo! Shiny! in this game and can’t stick to one thing for very long :/

Bottom line, there’s plenty of fun going through all of the different avenues, angles and aspects found in the game. Always something needed and more needed new stuff on the horizon.

DeletedUser29623

Very entertaining read, thank you.

I would add the don't care/don't know player.

I'm in the PE and been seeing a few of these players at the bottom of my neighborhood .

They rush through the tech tree, but also with little to no great buildings and special buildings. Goods buildings without the map deposit for that good, buildings several eras below theirs, 2 spearfighters defense, city poorly designed and with useless decorations all over the city and so on.

Because they are so advanced age wise, they evidently enjoy the game, but don't care or don't know how to utilize several mechanics of the game .

For real. I’ve encountered several of these types they’re in Arctic or Oceanic Future but they don’t know about some very basic aspects of the game