• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Plunder progress

DeletedUser

In your own words, "people get terribly upset about it." Yet you keep doing it. What does that say about you?
Well, if this was real life, and I was actually stealing from them or damaging real property of theirs, it would say that I'm a despicable human being. Luckily for me, this is just a game. And, like I said, no buildings are damaged, they don't lose any troops, just a little bit of their resources. And all they have to do to avoid it is to time their productions so they can collect on time. Most don't bother. If they care so little about their resources that they use the default 2 Spear defense and leave their productions uncollected, why should I lose sleep over it? You seem to judge people very harshly for their behavior in a game, even when said behavior is well within the rules. What does that say about you? Hmm?

DeletedUser26965

I feasted on this 24 hour cycle: my totals for today.

146 FP
88 Goods
110kish Coin
40kish Supplies
49 medals
Not bad, you guys are doing well with all these plunderable event buildings lol, good thing I only got SoK, RH, CR, HoF and Checkmate Square and throw all the other special building in the trash.

DeletedUser30900

So a non-plunder posting all these "justice" bullcrap is not saying anything "little value" to this thread and once I try to complain about that my post gets deleted, that's quite fair :p

DeletedUser26965

So a non-plunder posting all these "justice" bullcrap is not saying anything "little value" to this thread and once I try to complain about that my post gets deleted, that's quite fair :p
K, now you got the right post but I see your comments are still here, did you have more than two?

here's your two posts again;
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/plunder-progress.17692/page-19#post-155913
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/plunder-progress.17692/page-18#post-155705

ODragon

He did age up one age. He did attack and beat me (barely) with his new troops (he lost 6). He's not plundered but he can try.

Interestingly, he has no traz and military buildings so I can only guess he won them during GE. Since he also has no ToR, the ones he got are probably mostly dead.

He also shook his fist in the air and send me a message:
That was only the beginning

In response I:
-Doubled by defenses by adding more ritual flames
-Will continue to collect on time
-Not worry even if he does because its just a game
-Did not respond to his message

Whatever happen, I'm not worried. He is literally only the 2nd person to breach my defenses since Sunday and at best, he can steal one FP. I steal more than that an hour!

Last edited:

Volodya

We don't whine when we get sent a mean note. We laugh about it. Then we share it with other plunderers, so they can have a good laugh about it. You know, this isn't some solitaire CD game we're playing. In any online multiplayer game, there is going to be profiting off other players in some manner. Here, they call it plundering. It is highly limited, and restricted to productions of only certain buildings. You don't lose any buildings. You don't even lose any troops. Yet people get terribly upset about it. Mostly because they don't do either of the 2 things they should do; collect on time and/or build up their defense. On Noarsil, I am in Iron Age and I have been mercilessly plundering my hood through a hood change for the last few weeks. Less than 5% of the hood has switched out of the 2 Spear defense. And less than 25% has started collecting on time. Yet I've gotten at least 3 nasty/whiny notes. You have to laugh.

This indeed makes sense from one perspective. I'm well aware that there are far nastier war games out there. Those games are unambiguously described that way however., basically kill kill kill all the time. It's quite likely however that your unhappy FoE opponents were drawn to this game by ads which describe it primarily as a city-building game, hardly mentioning combat at all. I assure you those ads exist. Is it really surprising that a player who views the game that way is shocked and unhappy to learn that their hard-earned resources can be stolen out from under them?

Edit: It may not sound like it, but I actually am less concerned about all this now that the new neighborhood structure has mostly provided a reasonably level playing field. What was really ugly was watching--say--a FE player gloat about plundering 10 stone from a weak Iron Age player.

Last edited:

Volodya

Well, if this was real life, and I was actually stealing from them or damaging real property of theirs, it would say that I'm a despicable human being. Luckily for me, this is just a game. And, like I said, no buildings are damaged, they don't lose any troops, just a little bit of their resources. And all they have to do to avoid it is to time their productions so they can collect on time. Most don't bother. If they care so little about their resources that they use the default 2 Spear defense and leave their productions uncollected, why should I lose sleep over it? You seem to judge people very harshly for their behavior in a game, even when said behavior is well within the rules. What does that say about you? Hmm?

It says that I'm empathetic. It says that I understand that there are real people behind the avatars and game personas, real people who are upset in the real world.

DeletedUser13838

Most people don't like to lose in anything but that doesn't mean I'm going to just let them win.

DeletedUser

Edit: It may not sound like it, but I actually am less concerned about all this now that the new neighborhood structure has mostly provided a reasonably level playing field. What was really ugly was watching--say--a FE player gloat about plundering 10 stone from a weak Iron Age player.
This is an excellent point. And it also strengthens my point about the fact that the players whining about being plundered don't care enough about their productions to take steps to safeguard them. And there are plenty of "game tips" that tell you that you will get plundered, so your point about how the game is advertised is only valid for a short time after a player starts the game. I even had a player send me a message lecturing me about "neighborhood etiquette", as if such a thing really exists and is agreed upon by a majority of players.

It says that I'm empathetic. It says that I understand that there are real people behind the avatars and game personas, real people who are upset in the real world.
I'm a real person. I'm simply playing a game, a computer game, and I'm playing well within the rules of that game. I don't cheat anyone, even though I've been cheated. I don't make it a point to go after one player in particular, unless their behavior calls for it, which has happened once in two years+ of playing here. So why should I put up with being called names and having nasty things said about me? Where's your empathy then?

DeletedUser28670

@Volodya, I know the meaning of both sociopath and metaphor, thank you very much. I'll emphasize one more time that this is a virtual world in a game, and no matter if people are behind the in game avatars, they are controlling a virtual world that I'm plundering.

Algona

The notion that a plunderer should feel shame, guilt, remorse, or is a sadist because they have engaged in a part of the game within the rules is laughably wrong.

The implication that an opponent's inappropriate, unjustified, and misplaced emotional response to getting plundered is somehow the fault of the plunderer is not only laughably wrong but also supports further bad play on the part of that player..

Anger over being plundered is an inappropriate response, it is a part of the game the player chose to play. It is entirely within a players control to minimize or even prevent plundering. It is also entirely within a players control to not get upset at the plunderer about being plundered. Getting upset at an opponent who beats you without cheating is poor sportsmanship in any game.

If a player was 'lured' into this game not knowing about the combat and plunder aspects if the game, any anger at being deceived should be directed at INNO, not the players playing the game within the express design, rules, and intent of INNO.

If you really care about emotional states try fixing the real problems: help the player correct game play mistakes that lead to getting plundered and understand that anger at plunderers for plundering is inappropriate, unjustified, and misplaced. Sure it's a lot more difficult then mistakenly telling plunderers they are doing something wrong, but maybe you'll actually help someone?

DeletedUser

What was really ugly was watching--say--a FE player gloat about plundering 10 stone from a weak Iron Age player.
I agree that was pretty weak, I was stuck like that for over a year in the old system. But it made me a better player I think. As in real life: if you don't like your situation, change it.
As far as it being called a city building game...can you name one city on this planet that doesn't have some form of defense?