• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Plunder progress

DeletedUser9930

To sum up the discussion so far: wrongly or rightly, many people feel upset when their goods, forge points, etc. are stolen. Why do they feel this way? I can only surmise. Perhaps they are dismayed that people would choose to hurt the chances of others simply to move up faster in relatively worthless points. After all, everyone is presented with four choices in dealing with 'neighbors,' only one of which harms the neighbors. Plunderers respond that they are following the rules and that players should not complain, but rather take various anti-plunder measures.

Sure, plundering is within the rules and is encouraged by various rewards, but why is this the case? Perhaps, Inno has determined that a large proportion of those willing to buy diamonds are people who wish to reside in a position of power vis-a-vis other players. (We see, for example, how plunderers laugh or deride those who complain or who do not take anti-plunder measures.) If it was determined that even more people would be willing to buy diamonds in order to destroy the military capacity of their plunderers, that, too, would be within the rules, provided that it was not too costly to implement.

So let's examine why the 'victims' might not undertake anti-plunder measures. What about beefing up their defenses? In the early ages, if they themselves do not attack others, they may not realize that they have the ability to alter their defenses. Later on, they may feel---wrongly, I might add---that at least they can deny the plunderers 'tower points.' And they may conclude, given the game's "attackers' bias," that any reasonably-'priced' defense will be easily overcome.

But what about collecting 'on time?" Surely this is easy to put in practice. Not necessarily. Some may have schedules that are set by outside events or do not permit an assured collection other than on a 24-hour cycle. What's wrong with that? Well, on an 8-hour, 4-hour, 8-hour cycle, one can produce 25 goods per day in a dedicated factory. A 24-hour cycle cuts production by 20%; so it may be more prudent, if one has many factories and few plunderers, to take one's chances and aim for maximum production.

Perhaps the greatest reason for not undertaking anti-plunder measures has to do with world view. People do not like to prepare to face what should be rare catastrophes. People live in a flood plain and are upset when their homes are inundated and the insurance they have is insufficient. Or they live in an earthquake zone, but have no plan for 'quake survival.

Similarly, some do not wish to countenance the existence of those who would steal from others just to move ahead faster. By taking anti-plunder measures, they are, in a sense, justifying the plunderers, actualizing them. Just as curtailment of our liberties, even as it makes 'terror incidents' harder to achieve, tells terrorists that they've been effective, that they've been making progress toward their goals.

It seems that plunderers have a legalistic Weltanschauing: what is within the rules is perfectly okay. The victims, however, believe that not all that is legal is ethical. For instance, a world-class swimmer, upon encountering a drowning person, has no legal obligation to attempt a rescue, but many would say that it's unethical not to make such an attempt. The problem is that neither side in this discussion is completely right. How do we approach a modus vivendi in which plunderers feel their rights are upheld, while victims can be assured that their codes of ethics are not being torn to shreds?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

That's a good reply but if you think the game was not designed with this aspect in mind why have 2 GB's been introduced in the last couple of era's? Atlantis and Voyager?
Why isn't everyone hating on ARC or whatever aspect of play style you choose to play.

DeletedUser26965

I think this post is for plunderers to swath in their blood-lust in a wasteland of plundered special buildings, smashed dreams of happy dance collections of the victimized mobile only player only here for the shiny flower events and to that I say, press on plunderer, press on.

[insert ardak meme here]

DeletedUser

I think Ardak would approve of this reply to Tenskwatawa's post.

IM-SORRY-I-COULD-NOT-HEAR-YOU-OVER-HOW-AWESOME-I-AM.jpg

DeletedUser9930

Snake11s, please re-read paragraph two of my post above in which I mention various incentives (though I don't specify any of them) that Inno has given to plunderers. GBs could be included under this rubric. Also note that just because plunder is incentivized, one need not slavishly follow the 'approved' program. As to why people don't dislike the Arc, use of an Arc doesn't victimize anyone, although it does allow 'Arcitypes' to put more FPs on a building, since they get a higher rate of return.

Sloppyjoe, a boxing ring won't cut it as a metaphor: both boxers have similar goals and means. Here, one is offered a range of choices in dealing with those one encounters. Oh, and you're right, this thread was established for plunderers to give others of their ilk useful information. Nevertheless, it has become a thread where, in addition to boasting, people discuss various aspects of plunder, including whether one ought to consider its effects on the 'victims.'

DeletedUser

How do you get one of those dragons? I'll take out a second mortgage if I need to.

DeletedUser9930

OFF TOPIC
{NB: GreatThunderclap's short video of a flying dragon incinerating an army was deleted by a moderator. Violated the prohibition on animated pictures in forum posts.}

DeletedUser

GreatThunderclap's short video of a flying dragon incinerating an army was deleted by a moderator
It was cool while it lasted. I really want one:) I want to use that dragon in front of me for my commute, my run through a fast food and any convenience store.
Edit: I forgot the bank runs or drive through tellers that seem to not give a crap I only have a short lunch break. Thanks, done ranting...for now.

DeletedUser26154

Those 'victims'

At the end of the day, we all know Plundering is part of the game.
Has been since it started.
No surprise to anyone.
I think when it goes over-board with the extreme focus on one player, it becomes Evil.

But I don't know anything.

what do.png

Because I'm not in the Middle Ages.

Algona

As a game player it is not my responsibility to assure that my opponent:

understamds the rules of the game
plays optimally
is emotionally mature

As a game player it is my responsibility to assure that I:

understand the rules of the game\
play optimally
am emotionally mature.

including whether one ought to consider its effects on the 'victims.'

Do you really believe that you personally should consider the effect on the opponent of playing a game that you both chose to play?

Does anyone out there really believe this?

Have you thought through the ramifications of this belief?

If you have, how can you play any game knowing that your opponent could have a negative emotional reaction? How can you possibly inflict that sort of harm on someone?

DeletedUser26154

wrongly or rightly, many people feel upset when their goods, forge points, etc. are stolen.

Welcome to Planet Earth.
I will be your guide.

guide.png

Perhaps, Inno has determined that a large proportion of those willing to buy diamonds

Welcome to Business 101.
I will be your Guru.

guru.jpg

By taking anti-plunder measures, they are, in a sense, justifying the plunderers, actualizing them.

We'll let this gem stands on it's own for awhile.
After everyone stops laughing.

legalistic Weltanschauing

ff98a1b3f4437ac1cfe8260abcaa09b7.png

Just say "world view".

DeletedUser26120

My overall plunders are down since I started targeting fps only, but I'm happy to report my fps plundered per day has gone up. :)

So in some ways it's better for others that I'm hitting fps only, there are some people I never get to plunder.

But rip to those whose palaces I am hitting lol.