• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Plunder progress

DeletedUser32328

What's wrong with rogues on defense? Are they bad some how? I don't, almost never, usually fight armies on defense. And I only attack my neighbors when I need to. So, are rogues terrible defenders?
Depends on what you use them in combination with. Worthless with artillery. But with heavies, a couple is fine. The rogues will get a couple of hits in before all the rest can be killed. And if your enemy has come with melee will turn into regulars. Just don't go overboard. Some people put four in and that's just too easy.

DeletedUser30900

What's wrong with rogues on defense? Are they bad some how? I don't, almost never, usually fight armies on defense. And I only attack my neighbors when I need to. So, are rogues terrible defenders?
Hmmmm, if you are here to learn stuff I think you need to plunder more...

DeletedUser34800

Hahahaha. I probably do. But all the lower age goods I would get are terrible. Except for Alabaster of course. Maybe I will start hitting and plundering anyone that produces Alabaster. Can never have too much of that

DeletedUser30312

They're worthless on defense. All I have to do is kill every other unit first, then rogues are one-shots. If you're using two rogues on defense you may as well only put up six regular units, it's the same thing.

This. One or two can be useful in the early ages with their high base attack, they can still cause problems for me if they attack me before I can kill the other units first. This is only the case when the defender is only using 1 or 2 rogues though. But 4 or more makes the battle a cakewalk for a skilled and prepared attacker. And you don't want to pair them with ranged or artillery units either, since both have a low defense and are easily killed after transforming.

That 100 attack can make them useful in small numbers up to CA or Indy though. Once you hit CA, you get more units than just ranged and artillery that can hit at greater ranges, starting with the Grenadier's range 2 attack. It's worse for the Rogue in Indy, since only Lancers and Champions attack in melee, everything else can shoot them safely from a distance. From PE up, first you got the whole map scaling change which makes rogues move slower, so they're at a bigger disadvantage on defense. Then you'll eventually get units whose attack stats are comparable to the Rogue, so you won't need the Rogue to inflict a big hit. Indy is my furthest age, so I haven't gotten used to how the Rogue changes in combat yet, I've only fought on PE maps once or twice.

If I expect to fight 4 or more rogues, I bring ranged and artillery units to quickly wipe out everything else, then 1 one shot the rogues before they close in. If I expect to fight only 1 or 2, I attack the rogues from range because anything else will generally damage me less than the rogue, and I use range not to get countered.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31440

One of the hardest defenses I've gone against on HMA was 4 heavies and 4 rogues with a 350ish defense boost. That said to counter it I went Archer plus 7 rogues. If his rogues hit one of my archers it would take 7-8 notches off their life but with no retaliation leaving his rogues untransformed so I could one shot them after taking out the heavies.

DeletedUser30312

Anyway, I took a cue from recent discussions here, and decided to mess with my neighbors a bit:

bazaar1.jpg

Some neighbors just left the discussion, but others actually took the trades I put up. Where feasible, I traded the goods for Brass, since I felt that appropriate. :D

bazaar2.jpg

Then this guy randomly dumps his market trades into the thread. Unless they were plunders too or something.

Anyway, I decided to roll with it:

bazaar3.jpg

Really rubbing it in here....

bazaar4.jpg

He hasn't made good on his threat yet.

DeletedUser30312

One of the hardest defenses I've gone against on HMA was 4 heavies and 4 rogues with a 350ish defense boost. That said to counter it I went Archer plus 7 rogues. If his rogues hit one of my archers it would take 7-8 notches off their life but with no retaliation leaving his rogues untransformed so I could one shot them after taking out the heavies.

Something like that's going to be nasty, but a lot of it is from the immense defense boost, which is absolutely brutal for HMA.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31440

Something like that's going to be nasty, but a lot of it is from the immense defense boost, with is absolutely brutal for HMA.

Yeah without the defensive boost it would have been a cake walk, but with the boost it took me about 4 times trying to crack it before figuring out that I needed to go with a troop that didn't retaliate so I could focus on the heavies and leave the rogues with a 1 shot kill.

DeletedUser31440

Well, it's Heavies to begin with, so Crossbowmen would be ideal anyway.

I was hesitant about using them with rogues since they didn't have a retaliation thinking it was nerfing the usability of rogues, ended up being the difference I needed though. I also hadn't heard about anybody using them with rogues and it being an effective attack, so that made me second guess using them. Usually regardless of the person's defense I can just push through with a heavy and rogues without any real difficulties.

DeletedUser32355

I was hunting for 2 spear def but... this guy's defense!!! lmao :D
p-W6FpYHTSy23zI2aN39fA.png

1 mercenary, 2 legionnaires, 2 stone throwers :D, and a rogue, all in HMA. :p
Time to put someone on the plunder list!

(And, to say the truth, I forgot there was a Bronze Age artillery troop before I plundered him. 2 attack and 3 defense makes them worthless.)

DeletedUser30312

I was hunting for 2 spear def but... this guy's defense!!! lmao :D
p-W6FpYHTSy23zI2aN39fA.png

1 mercenary, 2 legionnaires, 2 stone throwers :D, and a rogue, all in HMA. :p
Time to put someone on the plunder list!

(And, to say the truth, I forgot there was a Bronze Age artillery troop before I plundered him. 2 attack and 3 defense makes them worthless.)

I have a guy with an only slightly better defense in a CA hood.

DeletedUser26965

my lolz for the day at you plunderer's

know thy enemy attacker and shame them

lol1.gif lol2.gif

DeletedUser31225

@ sloppyjoeslayer
Are those OF units? I am long way from OF. Why did your opponent surrender? Is that unit of yours so good that 8 other units together have no chance at all?

DeletedUser26965

@ sloppyjoeslayer
Are those OF units? I am long way from OF. Why did your opponent surrender? Is that unit of yours so good that 8 other units together have no chance at all?
They just forgot to check my name, once they saw who I was they ran for the hills.

But yeah OF units
my Flying: Cannot be attacked by artillery units. Ignores terrain when moving
against their artillery.

DeletedUser12620

Loving all the lv2 emperor's entrances.

I've been stuck 2 ages behind on the top hood in Z - finally got rotated out into hood of my own age, just as I aged up to Progressive.

So it's been great here - finally hitting all 70+ players again, plundered couple dozen fps and hundreds of goods so far.

Gonna push to ME so I'm not as disadvantaged when I get rotated back into the top hood.

You still are, continue hiding behind that shield ;)