• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Plunder

• Thread starter DeletedUser31198
  • Start date

DeletedUser26965

I understand how someone can take the aspect of plundering in a game and turn it into a philosophical discussion on morality.
I don't understand why they feel the need to do so. If morality was an issue regarding every aspect of life and every decision had a perceived moral impact, we never would have survived past the stone age. So, now someone is going to wonder, when did man develop morals? Are they inherited or are they taught? In my opinion they are an aspect of our civilization and culture.
I play a game. That game is not my civilization or culture. I do not live in the game.
Therefore whether I plunder or not has nothing at all to do with morality.
Edited to remove a snarky comment, lol
It's natural to recoil at ethical responsibility, agency is not an easy thing to learn and maintain, woe is the life of the moral philosopher, so that's essentially how we survive, we rationalize, deny, ignore etc.

Algona

that's essentially how we survive, we rationalize, deny, ignore etc.

:D

As I was reading Airlyn's post Ithought flir through my brain about survival, how ethics and morality cab ve a luxury, that one of the hallmarks of Western European Technilogical Socoiety is the urge to apologize for excelling...

Then reading that sentnence, and thinking, how well those traits workfor people not insulated from reality by layers od technology.

Perfect timing... It;s a pleasure having you back.

DeletedUser31498

I understand how someone can take the aspect of plundering in a game and turn it into a philosophical discussion on morality.
I don't understand why they feel the need to do so. If morality was an issue regarding every aspect of life and every decision had a perceived moral impact, we never would have survived past the stone age. So, now someone is going to wonder, when did man develop morals? Are they inherited or are they taught? In my opinion they are an aspect of our civilization and culture.
I play a game. That game is not my civilization or culture. I do not live in the game.
Therefore whether I plunder or not has nothing at all to do with morality.
Edited to remove a snarky comment, lol

I mean humans just develop heuristics to not need to think about 99% of what they do. Else, you're correct, we would go crazy. But why does it follow that decisions aren't inherently moral or not?

To say "it's a game so nothing matters" is pretty silly imo. If the game was 100% against computers I would agree, but you must see that given humans are on the other side it does matter? Again, I'm not saying whether I think that makes it right or wrong, just that dismissing it entirely must be wrong.

Again, no one responded above but I'll re- ask one question:

1) Let's say I offer 10 Jewelry in return for 20 Granite, hoping to confuse someone into thinking it's 2:1 the other way. Is that moral?

@Stephen Longshanks @Algona @icarusethan thoughts?

DeletedUser30900

Again, no one responded above but I'll re- ask one question:

1) Let's say I offer 10 Jewelry in return for 20 Granite, hoping to confuse someone into thinking it's 2:1 the other way. Is that moral?

@Stephen Longshanks @Algona @icarusethan thoughts?
Use intelligence advantage is how we beat animals:) and I'm not a saint and I'm okay with bullying so maybe I'm just a horrible person but I'm okay with it

DeletedUser9930

Airlyn, the reason I discuss the moral/ethical choice involved in plundering is that I don't like to see other people hurt, whether it be emotionally, physically, or materially. But it seems there is a significant number of people who enjoy inflicting pain (c.f., "Plunder Progress" thread in the Forge Hall, wherein some quote "whiners"). If plunderers stole only from other plunderers or those who assented to the practice, there would be no problem. Of course, folks should be aware that plundering can occur, but, likewise, no plunderer should be shocked when some victims despise what he/she has done. Personally, I don't worry much about my city being plundered, although I disagree with the practice.

I guess my aversion to harming others stems from my childhood. I hurt someone very badly, I can still see the pool of blood and him being carried away on a stretcher. I vowed to never willingly physically harm anyone again. When I learned of other types of pain, I extended my vow to cover them as well.

@gutmeister -- There is no set exchange rate in this game, though a conventional rate exists; so, no, it's not a question of morality.

DeletedUser31308

Is it immoral to try to make me feel immoral for plundering in a game that allows plundering?
This is like the Neverending Story :confused:
things that make ya go hmmmm...
Reality is a never ending story. The implications of reality are as well. It is maddening, which is why people have denial to cope with implications we simply don't want to dwell on (such as the inevitability of death, the lack of inherent purpose, etc).

DeletedUser32009

Reality is a never ending story. The implications of reality are as well. It is maddening, which is why people have denial to cope with implications we simply don't want to dwell on (such as the inevitability of death, the lack of inherent purpose, etc).
That reminds me of quote.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one.
Albert Einstein

Volodya

Do you play chess? If you win do you feel bad that you are hurting your opponent?
Presumably your chess opponent has consented to the match and is perfectly aware that s/he may lose. Obviously FoE players have chosen to play as well, but, depending on how they discovered the game, they really may not be aware of the possibility of being plundered. It's all well and good to respond that they should understand game dynamics before starting their city, but it remains true that some Inno marketing stresses the city-building aspect of FoE and it's incontrovertible that some players are genuinely shocked and genuinely upset when their stuff is stolen.

Graviton

Presumably your chess opponent has consented to the match and is perfectly aware that s/he may lose. Obviously FoE players have chosen to play as well, but, depending on how they discovered the game, they really may not be aware of the possibility of being plundered. It's all well and good to respond that they should understand game dynamics before starting their city, but it remains true that some Inno marketing stresses the city-building aspect of FoE and it's incontrovertible that some players are genuinely shocked and genuinely upset when their stuff is stolen.

So then the question becomes: whose responsibility is that? A plunderer has no way to know their target's depth of understanding of the rules.

Volodya

Everything in your mind is right, you satisfied now, Saint of 2018?
In other words, no you can't explain why you're ok with bullying. Just the way you're wired I guess. I'm curious though, do you enjoy watching people be bullied or is it only really satisfying for you when you yourself bully someone weaker? To be clear, I'm not asking about your behavior in this online game; I'm wondering about what you do in real life.