• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Power creep data

Nicholas002

Here is a graph of the number of daily FPs from all event buildings from each year of FoE. The power creep is impressive.
The orange line plots the number of daily FPs from all event buildings from each year plus the number of daily FPs from all event buildings of the previous year, since many players are able to max the previous year's buildings through daily special prizes in each event.

1599539925326.png

Note- assumes max buildings, complete sets, 3 chain pieces in chains such as train, and FP-focused version in branching upgrade options.
for 2020, counts upcoming events released only on beta, and assumes a winter event, with the 2020 average stats (though they will probably be better than the 2020 average, due to the fairly constant power creep)

Lord Pest

Will it end up destroying the game? Inno needs to make the rewards in each successive event better and better to induce the diamond players to keep spending. I remember when the Pilar of hero’s was the big thing with its 3 fp in 9 squares. Now a level of it shows up in the AD almost every day.

Nicholas002

Will it end up destroying the game? Inno needs to make the rewards in each successive event better and better to induce the diamond players to keep spending. I remember when the Pilar of hero’s was the big thing with its 3 fp in 9 squares. Now a level of it shows up in the AD almost every day.
maybe. I think the best thing would be to make the buildings give the same amount of resources, and have them slowly get smaller. that way diamond spenders will still go for them, to replace the bigger buildings, but it won't get out of control.

UBERhelp1

Inno will have to make a choice soon. They either have to come up with new and creative ways to make event buildings interesting, or give in to power creep.

EnamIccug

Inno will have to make a choice soon. They either have to come up with new and creative ways to make event buildings interesting, or give in to power creep.

Their way of making event buildings interesting is to minimize the importance of Great Buildings by putting rewards that were previously only available via GBs, into event buildings. Prior to sentinel outposts and Olympic Treasuries, the only way to gain defense for your attacking army was to level your military GBs. Prior to the Governor's Villa, the primary way to gain more troops was to level your Alcatraz or to place more barracks. Prior to GBG, leveling something like Inno or Cape was much more attractive when analyzing the FP gain versus your daily FP income.

For the past year or so, Inno has clearly realized that GBs aren't very easily monetizable. An overreliance on important benefits only being available via Great Buildings means that it's relatively more difficult to induce players to spend diamonds to play "catch up", whereas putting those same important benefits into event buildings means that it's easier for players to spend money to get on a level footing with players who have been playing longer.

TL;DR: GBs mean slow gameplay and low monetization, power creeping event buildings mean $$$.

Mustapha00

The OP is on to something here.

I'll add a second example: practically every major Event Building reward provides massive population in addition to whatever other bonuses it has. This has led to my having tens of thousands of unemployed citizens. Normally, that would cause very serious problems, as non-productive citizens tend to be unhappy citizens, and an unhappy populace reduces production if things get too bad. However, along with the massive population, Inno has given these buildings a boost to happiness roughly equal to the boost in population so as to balance things out.

I took the step of first deleting a Habitat from one of my worlds and then an Innovation Tower from the same one. Neither was insanely high level, but both represented FP investments and Goods to build. And I can't tell you the last time one of my cities had a House of any type, except to fulfill a quest requirement.

Solutions? Well, the first and most obvious would be for these Event rewards to no longer have boosts to population at all or to have a token amount (perhaps ten or less). Taking things a step further might be to have these structures require population to operate: the Governor's Villa might need 1000 workers rather than provide 1000 population.

I understand Inno's goal here" force players to spend Diamonds, preferably purchased with currency, in order to purchase additional Diamond Expansions, so I doubt any change will be forthcoming.