Power Ranking The Great Buildings!

CinciNatural

Which Great Buildings do you think truly deserve the title of "Great" and which of those do you feel are sub par? I'm curious to see everyone's thoughts and opinions on which Great Buildings are the best in the game and which ones are the worst.

I personally am going to do a complete list from first to worst of all the great buildings but if you don't want to do a full list you could just do a top 3 or 5 on both spectrums. (Ex. Top 5 best & Top 5 worst) Just a few things I'll be basing my list off:

- Usefulness of the Great Building to my personal playing style
- Usefulness all around for all playing styles
- Comparing the stats of all buildings at level 10.
- Time and resources taken to build it.
- Time and resources taken to raise it.
- Longevity (Does it keep it's value through the ages)
- Footprint (Size)
- Appearance

Here's a list of all the Great Buildings for a quick reference if you need it: (From Bronze age to Future)

Zeus
Tower of Babel
Lighthouse of Alexandria
Coliseum
Cathedral of Aachen
Hagia Sophia
St. Mark's Basilica
Notre Dame
Cathedral of Basil
Castle Del Monte
Deal Castle
Dresden Frauenkirche
Capitol
Royal Albert Hall
Chateau Frontenac
Alcatraz
Space Needle
Atonium
Cape Canaveral
Habitat
Innovation Tower
Lotus Temple
Dynamic Tower
Observatory

Without further ado here is my list!

1. Alcatraz
2. Innovation Tower
3. Castle Del Monte
4. St. Mark's Basilica
5. Lighthouse of Alexandria
6. Zeus
7. Habitat
8. Chateau Frontenac
9. Cathedral of Aachen
10. Royal Albert Hall
11. Hagia Sophia
12. Dresden Frauenkirche
13. Atonium
14. Cape Canaveral
15. Capitol
16. Observatory
17. Dynamic Tower
18. Lotus Temple
19.Tower of Babel
20. Deal Castle
21. Cathedral of Basil
22. Space Needle
23. Notre Dame
24. Coliseum

Of course this is all subjective and there is no right answer, but I'm looking forward to your thoughts and criticisms on my list as well as seeing your own list.

Let the discussion begin!

Last edited:

jaelis

My list, *s are the ones I have. Babel would be higher but I don't like the looks.

Lighthouse of Alexandria*
St. Mark's Basilica*
Zeus*
Castle Del Monte*
Alcatraz*
Cathedral of Aachen*
Royal Albert Hall*
Atomium*
Innovation Tower
Observatory*
Habitat*
Cape Canaveral
Chateau Frontenac
Hagia Sophia
Dresden Frauenkirche
Deal Castle
Tower of Babel
Dynamic Tower
Cathedral of Basil
Lotus Temple
Space Needle
Capitol
Notre Dame
Coliseum

CinciNatural

My list, *s are the ones I have. Babel would be higher but I don't like the looks.

Lighthouse of Alexandria*
St. Mark's Basilica*
Zeus*
Castle Del Monte*
Alcatraz*
Cathedral of Aachen*
Royal Albert Hall*
Atomium*
Innovation Tower
Observatory*
Habitat*
Cape Canaveral
Chateau Frontenac
Hagia Sophia
Dresden Frauenkirche
Deal Castle
Tower of Babel
Dynamic Tower
Cathedral of Basil
Lotus Temple
Space Needle
Capitol
Notre Dame
Coliseum
Looks like a pretty solid list. Definitely have to give the lighthouse and St. marks a lot of credit for their longevity, how easy they are to obtain and raise, as well as how they are basic necessities for every playing style. Not a lot of love for the Capitol though, I give it higher marks because it still gives a great deal more population per tile at level 10 than even the best houses in the Tomorrow Era. :D

portergoat

MY Best (in order)
Alcatraz
CastleDM
Zeus
St marks
CathedralOA
Observatory

My Worst (no particular order)
|Habitat
|Inno tower
|Capitol (I can potentially see these as useful however in my towns they are and have always been a liability due to the "uncontrollable" population boosts)
Babel
Space needle
FOD
Lotus Temple
Notre Dame
RoyalAH ( I know this one is beloved by many but in the end game I have zero use for supply boosts and its footprint is huge)

In the end tho it all comes down to an individuals play style Combat GBs are entirely useless to someone who never fights for example.

Notre dame
Space needle
Lotus temple
are the only gbs I can think of that fit no particular play style and suck horribly for the boosts they give, the size, and the cost to build and level.

ITown

In order (attack GB ranking varies by playstyle):

Great

Castel del Monte
Zeus
Cathedral of Aachen
St. Mark's Basilica
Lighthouse of Alexandria
Observatory
Alcatraz
Chateau Frontenac

Okay

Cape Canaveral
Royal Albert Hall
Atomium
Dresden Frauenkirche
Tower of Babel
Dynamic Tower
Innovation Tower
Hagia Sophia
Habitat

Garbage

Deal Castle
St Basil's Cathedral
Lotus Temple
Capitol
Colosseum (why can nobody spell this???)
Notre Dame
Space Needle

- - - Updated - - -

2. Innovation Tower
3. Castle Del Monte
6. Zeus
9. Cathedral of Aachen
Just to clarify... You would rather have an innovation tower and 0% attack than no innovation tower and 30% attack?

portergoat

So bad it didn't even make the list :)
Actually I have a bit of a soft spot for that one, Ive had it level 10 since before the first event where you could buy medals.
Id never build it from scratch again but ive never had the heart to tear it down either.
Medals at least have some value to all ages unlike all the low end coin/supply gbs which is why it didn't make my list of worst. And yes victory towers provide more per square but they also require me to waste special event currency that is better spent on SOK/Reno kits/HOF
Ever since they changed hoods from people who started around the same time as you to those who rank near your tech level farming tower medals has been to much a of a hassle so Im kinda glad to have some free medal production.

CinciNatural

In order (attack GB ranking varies by playstyle):Just to clarify... You would rather have an innovation tower and 0% attack than no innovation tower and 30% attack?
That is a good point but I gave the Innovation tower high marks for a few reasons:

1. It's first perk (population) allows me to put in more goods buildings and military.
2. Forge points are always a FOE players best friend
3. I also gave it higher marks than a CDM because it looks better IMO. (It would look even better without those two cars parked out front :))

Chrischatect

Great buildings work best in sets by building a great building complex you are doing yourself a much bigger favor than building the best Great buildings.
Best great buildings not in order:
Innovation: tower can cover all your population needs for all early ages
Alcatraz: supplies unattached units which are critical for GE and GVG
Lighthouse of Alexandria: multiplies supply productions
Saint marks basilica: multiplies coin production
The arc: contributions boost drastically improves the Blueprint finding proses critical in late ages
Honorable mention. Château Frontenac quest rewards boost is awesome.

Best great building sets not in order.
Alcatraz, Zues, Cathedral of Achen, and Castel de monte make an epic battle complex. Alcatraz supply’s free units and the other three at level ten almost double your attacking units stats. They also provide happiness FPS and coins.
Alcatraz pairs well with the Innovation Tower. The Innovation tower covers all your population needs for early eras, while Alcatraz supplies the happiness.
For the more peaceful players. LOA and SMB are awesome for your economy they multiply production and coin production by a lot and make goods to boot.

Worst great buildings not in order.
Coliseum: just don’t your better off with Alcatraz takes up barely more space an gives way more happiness. A couple victory towers for medals. The problem is it’s boosts become obsolete to soon.
Choose GBs with boosts that level with you. ie production and coin boosts will stay relevant through VF and beyond as they are a multiplier goods production buildings produce leveled goods. Combat boosts are again a multiplier. Basically anything that produces a fixed number of happiness, medals, production, coins, or other fixed number besides goods will become obsolete within 5 ages tops. This means that you can use them in higher ages as you stop advancing through the ages.

Tower of Babel population per square at level ten is lower than LMA town houses. LoA produces twice as many goods.

Notre Dame: happiness and production obsolete after a few ages

Capitol: overshadowed by innovation tower. And production is a major scam. 6 alchemists take up only one more square and with LoA at level ten make the same amount of production

Cape Canaveral: you have to spend FPS to make FPS it will take over a year of perfect collections with no misses to break even.

The worst great buildings are hard I chose lower age buildings because nearly all serious players want to make it past the early ages. But if you plan on staying in The Early Middle Ages then these are great options.

My last tip buy GBs ahead of your age their productions are leveled for a higher age and therefore ridiculously over powered.

Super Catanian

Great buildings work best in sets by building a great building complex you are doing yourself a much bigger favor than building the best Great buildings.
Best great buildings not in order:
Innovation: tower can cover all your population needs for all early ages
Alcatraz: supplies unattached units which are critical for GE and GVG
Lighthouse of Alexandria: multiplies supply productions
Saint marks basilica: multiplies coin production
The arc: contributions boost drastically improves the Blueprint finding proses critical in late ages
Honorable mention. Château Frontenac quest rewards boost is awesome.

Best great building sets not in order.
Alcatraz, Zues, Cathedral of Achen, and Castel de monte make an epic battle complex. Alcatraz supply’s free units and the other three at level ten almost double your attacking units stats. They also provide happiness FPS and coins.
Alcatraz pairs well with the Innovation Tower. The Innovation tower covers all your population needs for early eras, while Alcatraz supplies the happiness.
For the more peaceful players. LOA and SMB are awesome for your economy they multiply production and coin production by a lot and make goods to boot.

Worst great buildings not in order.
Coliseum: just don’t your better off with Alcatraz takes up barely more space an gives way more happiness. A couple victory towers for medals. The problem is it’s boosts become obsolete to soon.
Choose GBs with boosts that level with you. ie production and coin boosts will stay relevant through VF and beyond as they are a multiplier goods production buildings produce leveled goods. Combat boosts are again a multiplier. Basically anything that produces a fixed number of happiness, medals, production, coins, or other fixed number besides goods will become obsolete within 5 ages tops. This means that you can use them in higher ages as you stop advancing through the ages.

Tower of Babel population per square at level ten is lower than LMA town houses. LoA produces twice as many goods.

Notre Dame: happiness and production obsolete after a few ages

Capitol: overshadowed by innovation tower. And production is a major scam. 6 alchemists take up only one more square and with LoA at level ten make the same amount of production

Cape Canaveral: you have to spend FPS to make FPS it will take over a year of perfect collections with no misses to break even.

The worst great buildings are hard I chose lower age buildings because nearly all serious players want to make it past the early ages. But if you plan on staying in The Early Middle Ages then these are great options.

My last tip buy GBs ahead of your age their productions are leveled for a higher age and therefore ridiculously over powered.
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, the last reply was from 4 years ago and this is the Archived section of the Forums.

Orius Maximus

Why on earth did you resurrect a 4 year old topic?! Some of the opinions are still valid, but there's no Arc, no AO, no SV, no Kraken, no BG, no TA, and no HC. All of which are pretty powerful in their own right. Atomium is nowhere near as good as it was, and the Cape is better than most people were ranking it.

I'm amused to see that the huge stinkers, Colosseum, ND, Capitol, and Space Needle were considered crap even back then.