1. Cultural Settlement - Feudal Japan

Arising from the Sengoku period of Feudal Japan, the clan of Akechi Mitsuhide has requested your help.
    As the Daimyo of his village, it is your task to lead the Feudal Japan to prosperity! Detailed information here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Changelog 1.156

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.156 will take place on Wed, July 10, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. GvG Improvements

Hello Queens and Kings,
    We'd like to keep you updated on what we're planning to do, as we're about to get started on implementing the following improvements, and would love to hear some community insight into if you feel these additions address some of the fundamental issues GvG faces.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Changelog 1.157

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.157 will take place on Wed, July 24, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Power Ranking The Great Buildings!

Discussion in 'Closed / Archived' started by CinciNatural, May 22, 2015.

1. CinciNatural

CinciNatural Active Member

Which Great Buildings do you think truly deserve the title of "Great" and which of those do you feel are sub par? I'm curious to see everyone's thoughts and opinions on which Great Buildings are the best in the game and which ones are the worst.

I personally am going to do a complete list from first to worst of all the great buildings but if you don't want to do a full list you could just do a top 3 or 5 on both spectrums. (Ex. Top 5 best & Top 5 worst) Just a few things I'll be basing my list off:

- Usefulness of the Great Building to my personal playing style
    - Usefulness all around for all playing styles
    - Comparing the stats of all buildings at level 10.
    - Time and resources taken to build it.
    - Time and resources taken to raise it.
    - Longevity (Does it keep it's value through the ages)
    - Footprint (Size)
    - Appearance

Here's a list of all the Great Buildings for a quick reference if you need it: (From Bronze age to Future)

Zeus
    Tower of Babel
    Lighthouse of Alexandria
    Coliseum
    Cathedral of Aachen
    Hagia Sophia
    St. Mark's Basilica
    Notre Dame
    Cathedral of Basil
    Castle Del Monte
    Deal Castle
    Dresden Frauenkirche
    Capitol
    Royal Albert Hall
    Chateau Frontenac
    Alcatraz
    Space Needle
    Atonium
    Cape Canaveral
    Habitat
    Innovation Tower
    Lotus Temple
    Dynamic Tower
    Observatory

Without further ado here is my list!

1. Alcatraz
    2. Innovation Tower
    3. Castle Del Monte
    4. St. Mark's Basilica
    5. Lighthouse of Alexandria
    6. Zeus
    7. Habitat
    8. Chateau Frontenac
    9. Cathedral of Aachen
    10. Royal Albert Hall
    11. Hagia Sophia
    12. Dresden Frauenkirche
    13. Atonium
    14. Cape Canaveral
    15. Capitol
    16. Observatory
    17. Dynamic Tower
    18. Lotus Temple
    19.Tower of Babel
    20. Deal Castle
    21. Cathedral of Basil
    22. Space Needle
    23. Notre Dame
    24. Coliseum

Of course this is all subjective and there is no right answer, but I'm looking forward to your thoughts and criticisms on my list as well as seeing your own list.

Let the discussion begin!

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. jaelis

jaelis Well-Known Member

My list, *s are the ones I have. Babel would be higher but I don't like the looks.

Lighthouse of Alexandria*
    St. Mark's Basilica*
    Zeus*
    Castle Del Monte*
    Alcatraz*
    Cathedral of Aachen*
    Royal Albert Hall*
    Atomium*
    Innovation Tower
    Observatory*
    Habitat*
    Cape Canaveral
    Chateau Frontenac
    Hagia Sophia
    Dresden Frauenkirche
    Deal Castle
    Tower of Babel
    Dynamic Tower
    Cathedral of Basil
    Lotus Temple
    Space Needle
    Capitol
    Notre Dame
    Coliseum

KhunRagnar likes this.
  3. CinciNatural

Looks like a pretty solid list. Definitely have to give the lighthouse and St. marks a lot of credit for their longevity, how easy they are to obtain and raise, as well as how they are basic necessities for every playing style. Not a lot of love for the Capitol though, I give it higher marks because it still gives a great deal more population per tile at level 10 than even the best houses in the Tomorrow Era. :D

4. portergoat

portergoat Guest

MY Best (in order)
    Alcatraz
    CastleDM
    Zeus
    St marks
    CathedralOA
    Observatory

My Worst (no particular order)
    |Habitat
    |Inno tower
    |Capitol (I can potentially see these as useful however in my towns they are and have always been a liability due to the "uncontrollable" population boosts)
    Babel
    Space needle
    FOD
    Lotus Temple
    Notre Dame
    RoyalAH ( I know this one is beloved by many but in the end game I have zero use for supply boosts and its footprint is huge)

In the end tho it all comes down to an individuals play style Combat GBs are entirely useless to someone who never fights for example.

Notre dame
    Space needle
    Lotus temple
    are the only gbs I can think of that fit no particular play style and suck horribly for the boosts they give, the size, and the cost to build and level.

5. CinciNatural

Interesting that you didn't include the Coliseum as one of your Worst GB's porter.

6. jaelis

jaelis Well-Known Member

So bad it didn't even make the list :)

7. ITown

ITown Well-Known Member

In order (attack GB ranking varies by playstyle):

Great

Castel del Monte
    Zeus
    Cathedral of Aachen
    St. Mark's Basilica
    Lighthouse of Alexandria
    Observatory
    Alcatraz
    Chateau Frontenac

Okay

Cape Canaveral
    Royal Albert Hall
    Atomium
    Dresden Frauenkirche
    Tower of Babel
    Dynamic Tower
    Innovation Tower
    Hagia Sophia
    Habitat

Garbage

Deal Castle
    St Basil's Cathedral
    Lotus Temple
    Capitol
    Colosseum (why can nobody spell this???)
    Notre Dame
    Space Needle

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify... You would rather have an innovation tower and 0% attack than no innovation tower and 30% attack?

8. portergoat

portergoat Guest

Actually I have a bit of a soft spot for that one, Ive had it level 10 since before the first event where you could buy medals.
    Id never build it from scratch again but ive never had the heart to tear it down either.
    Medals at least have some value to all ages unlike all the low end coin/supply gbs which is why it didn't make my list of worst. And yes victory towers provide more per square but they also require me to waste special event currency that is better spent on SOK/Reno kits/HOF
    Ever since they changed hoods from people who started around the same time as you to those who rank near your tech level farming tower medals has been to much a of a hassle so Im kinda glad to have some free medal production.

9. CinciNatural

That is a good point but I gave the Innovation tower high marks for a few reasons:

1. It's first perk (population) allows me to put in more goods buildings and military.
    2. Forge points are always a FOE players best friend
    3. I also gave it higher marks than a CDM because it looks better IMO. (It would look even better without those two cars parked out front :))

10. Chrischatect

Chrischatect New Member

Great buildings work best in sets by building a great building complex you are doing yourself a much bigger favor than building the best Great buildings.
    Best great buildings not in order:
    Innovation: tower can cover all your population needs for all early ages
    Alcatraz: supplies unattached units which are critical for GE and GVG
    Lighthouse of Alexandria: multiplies supply productions
    Saint marks basilica: multiplies coin production
    The arc: contributions boost drastically improves the Blueprint finding proses critical in late ages
    Honorable mention. Château Frontenac quest rewards boost is awesome.

Best great building sets not in order.
    Alcatraz, Zues, Cathedral of Achen, and Castel de monte make an epic battle complex. Alcatraz supply’s free units and the other three at level ten almost double your attacking units stats. They also provide happiness FPS and coins.
    Alcatraz pairs well with the Innovation Tower. The Innovation tower covers all your population needs for early eras, while Alcatraz supplies the happiness.
    For the more peaceful players. LOA and SMB are awesome for your economy they multiply production and coin production by a lot and make goods to boot.

Worst great buildings not in order.
    Coliseum: just don’t your better off with Alcatraz takes up barely more space an gives way more happiness. A couple victory towers for medals. The problem is it’s boosts become obsolete to soon.
    Choose GBs with boosts that level with you. ie production and coin boosts will stay relevant through VF and beyond as they are a multiplier goods production buildings produce leveled goods. Combat boosts are again a multiplier. Basically anything that produces a fixed number of happiness, medals, production, coins, or other fixed number besides goods will become obsolete within 5 ages tops. This means that you can use them in higher ages as you stop advancing through the ages.

Tower of Babel population per square at level ten is lower than LMA town houses. LoA produces twice as many goods.

Notre Dame: happiness and production obsolete after a few ages

Capitol: overshadowed by innovation tower. And production is a major scam. 6 alchemists take up only one more square and with LoA at level ten make the same amount of production

Cape Canaveral: you have to spend FPS to make FPS it will take over a year of perfect collections with no misses to break even.

The worst great buildings are hard I chose lower age buildings because nearly all serious players want to make it past the early ages. But if you plan on staying in The Early Middle Ages then these are great options.

My last tip buy GBs ahead of your age their productions are leveled for a higher age and therefore ridiculously over powered.

DreadfulCadillac likes this.
  11. Super Catanian

Super Catanian Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, the last reply was from 4 years ago and this is the Archived section of the Forums.

DreadfulCadillac likes this.
  12. Algona

Algona Well-Known Member

But it is a nice necro, seeing what the Pre-Arc world was like.

Ya might want to take a peek at the top players in your two worlds and see how many have powered their Capes.

13. Agent327

Agent327 Well-Known Member

It took him more than 4 years to come up with this. You can not expect him to get it right in that short period of time.

14. Orius Maximus

Orius Maximus Well-Known Member

Why on earth did you resurrect a 4 year old topic?! Some of the opinions are still valid, but there's no Arc, no AO, no SV, no Kraken, no BG, no TA, and no HC. All of which are pretty powerful in their own right. Atomium is nowhere near as good as it was, and the Cape is better than most people were ranking it.

I'm amused to see that the huge stinkers, Colosseum, ND, Capitol, and Space Needle were considered crap even back then.

KungQu and Stephen Longshanks like this.