• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Practice fighting field to learn about new Units

wolfhoundtoo

Not everyone has the confidence and the "expertise" to go into any battlefield and fight, even the extremely easy ones like Level 1 in GE. After Level 1, there are 3 other levels. Are you still going to feel so confident? I suppose by the time you get to level 4 you are going to know everything about your fighters. I think I just wasted my time. I can see where this is going.

You do understand that even if Inno likes your idea that it would take months (at least) for them to add something like that to the game. As for GE there's no real difference between the units on level I, II, III and IV. How you use your units and understanding their strengths/weaknesses can be learned on level I GE. As you advance you'll have to get better because you'll be facing better att/def boosts from the enemy but it's still the same basic strategy.

pelagia1

What's to know about controlling your troops when attacking. All you do is tap either the space you want to move your men to or your opponent's troop that you want to attack. As to knowing which troops you should use you can easily learn that either in GE or by starting with your weakest neighbours and working your way up to the stronger ones.
It is nice to have so much confidence. Unfortunately, we all do not.

DeletedUser26965

Think there's been proposals to the effect of practice fighting and such, I'm all for it and I don't think there should be any cost to it, no loss of units, nothing, they should be encouraging people to learn and practice.

pelagia1

You do understand that even if Inno likes your idea that it would take months (at least) for them to add something like that to the game. As for GE there's no real difference between the units on level I, II, III and IV. How you use your units and understanding their strengths/weaknesses can be learned on level I GE. As you advance you'll have to get better because you'll be facing better att/def boosts from the enemy but it's still the same basic strategy.
I disagree. It is not the same on all levels. If it were, why don't more people do level IV in GE? I have not been fighting as long as most others, but I have noticed differences in the units on each level. They get stronger and faster as you both advance. Not all of us have the resources for all of this. Of course, we learn as we advance in the game. But I for one do not want to wait for my units to have the equal strength and abilities as the other side. I want to win now. Not several months later. That is why a practice field would help many of us. The people who have been playing for a longer period of time of course do not see the need now. I wonder if everyone felt the same when they started playing? Why can't players who have been here for different periods of time be included in helping with the decision of a having a practice field or not having a practice field. I cannot help but feel that a big part of this decision borders on finances. With the money that I and others spend on this game,I don't think having a practice field would break this game financially. I am sorry to assume something like that, but it is how I feel.

pelagia1

Think there's been proposals to the effect of practice fighting and such, I'm all for it and I don't think there should be any cost to it, no loss of units, nothing, they should be encouraging people to learn and practice.
Thank you. I am sorry I did not listen to your comments more closely. Many things that you say may be humorous but that does not mean they are wrong. Not to me.

wolfhoundtoo

I disagree. It is not the same on all levels. If it were, why don't more people do level IV in GE? I have not been fighting as long as most others, but I have noticed differences in the units on each level. They get stronger and faster as you both advance. Not all of us have the resources for all of this. Of course, we learn as we advance in the game. But I for one do not want to wait for my units to have the equal strength and abilities as the other side. I want to win now. Not several months later. That is why a practice field would help many of us. The people who have been playing for a longer period of time of course do not see the need now. I wonder if everyone felt the same when they started playing? Why can't players who have been here for different periods of time be included in helping with the decision of a having a practice field or not having a practice field. I cannot help but feel that a big part of this decision borders on finances. With the money that I and others spend on this game,I don't think having a practice field would break this game financially. I am sorry to assume something like that, but it is how I feel.

The units don't get faster. the movement range of any unit is exactly the same and stays the same no matter the GE level you are on. Now depending on the age if you are moving between ages and get to the point where the battle screen changes (PE isn't it?) then the hexes represent additional/larger areas of the map. The scale changes. The enemy units do get stronger because of the attack/defense boosts increasing as you go up in GE. That doesn't change the movement range, the targeting range, which units get bonuses against which units or anything related to the basic strategy. You will need to increase your attack and defense boosts to compensate for that increased strength and plan accordingly for which units to kill in which order. The order would still be the same it will likely just take more hits for you to kill them off.

As for being able to complete GE IV NOW, it's not designed to be easy to beat. It takes quite awhile to develop the skills and the necessary attack/defense boost, to design your city to be able to generate enough units (whether you use the Alcatraz or not) and the correct units to use depending on the situation.

As for how you feel you can feel however you want. That is not going to be sufficient by itself to convince Inno to devote enough resources to create your idea nor would it make them do so QUICKLY. It takes months to get a change made in the game at best.

What you need is to find a guild that is good at what you want to do and learn from them how to design your city, how to get the necessary boosts and the proper tactics/units to use in each situation. Or you can just continue to post your unhappiness here. I doubt that gets you thru GE IV but whatever makes you happy.

Agent327

I disagree. It is not the same on all levels. If it were, why don't more people do level IV in GE?

It is the same. You face the same units, but their attack and defense bonus rises. That's why not many can fight through GE lvl 4.

I have not been fighting as long as most others, but I have noticed differences in the units on each level. They get stronger and faster as you both advance.

In that case you are not very observant. They get stronger. They can't get faster.

Not all of us have the resources for all of this. Of course, we learn as we advance in the game. But I for one do not want to wait for my units to have the equal strength and abilities as the other side. I want to win now. Not several months later.

You can want all you want. You have to work to get stronger and that is something that does not happen overnight. You need to put some effort into it.

That is why a practice field would help many of us.

No it wouldn't. You can practice till you see blue in the face, but if you can not match the defenders bonus, you have little chance of winning.

The people who have been playing for a longer period of time of course do not see the need now. I wonder if everyone felt the same when they started playing?

Yes. Once again, practicing does not do the trick. Matching the defenders bonus does.

Why can't players who have been here for different periods of time be included in helping with the decision of a having a practice field or not having a practice field.

They do. Their comments and votes is what decides if this reaches a poll or not.

I cannot help but feel that a big part of this decision borders on finances. With the money that I and others spend on this game,I don't think having a practice field would break this game financially. I am sorry to assume something like that, but it is how I feel.

It has nothing to do with finance, but all with your reluctance to just try. There are plenty of ways to practice, so have the balls and try.

Triopoly Champion

I am in the industrial Age.
Too late, should have stayed in Colonial to practice, I killed some Industrial units from my Colonial base, it was fun when my Grenadiers outperformed an enemy rifleman.

Trading up goods from Industrial to Progressive won't be too hard, Alcatraz is the must-have GB for players from Industrial above.

This is why I'm still in Colonial because my Colonial champions are as strong as the regular Industrial Lancers.
Forge of Empires - Fast Defeats Light.jpg

pelagia1

It must be so wonderful to have all the answers. Some are better at using their units than others. What a cheap replacement to keep suggesting GE Level 1. All I want is a practice battlefield. Not arguments about using something that will be no bother or expense to the game.

wolfhoundtoo

It must be so wonderful to have all the answers. Some are better at using their units than others. What a cheap replacement to keep suggesting GE Level 1. All I want is a practice battlefield. Not arguments about using something that will be no bother or expense to the game.

You are incorrect. To implement a practice area requires coding time which is an actual cost to the game. It also means they are working on that code change rather than some other code change (whether that is a good thing or not would depend on what they are working on and your perspective). In addition you would need to revise the code so that the practice area fight points would not count for your rank score or the PVP tower score (presumably). Then the code needs to be tested, implemented on beta and ultimately on live. All of which will take time from actual employees of Inno who get paid.

There are no doubt other arguments I can make but since we've gotten to the point where you've basically said "because I say so" I don't see a point. Best of luck to you but don't hold your breath to see your idea implemented this month or the next (or ever I'd guess but only Inno actually knows).

DeletedUser29726

Well the current age units that you start to fight in difficulty 2, make up the majority by difficulty 3, and all of difficulty 4 are often faster than the previous age units you find in difficulty 1. So that could be what he's referring to.

Personally I'm indifferent to the idea of a practice field. It never seems to take too many resources to experiment with new units as they come out and see what works against what. But I'm sure i'd find some occasions to test out things i'm curious about but not so curious to setup a test environment on the AA map at the moment. Things like how much boost do i need to ____?

The simplest answer for such a feature would be an external tool (or internal one with no hooks to anything else in the game) where you could setup any battle and play it out. I'm not sure if all the information on the precise behavior of the AI is out there, but that'd be the main obstacle to setting up a 3rd party website tool for it.

pelagia1

I have not got to the point of "because I say so". I'm at the point that no matter what, most of you have made up your minds to not do this. I did not want an expensive field with all the the requirements of a game battlefield. I just wanted an area where I could practice with my units and learn.

wolfhoundtoo

I have not got to the point of "because I say so". I'm at the point that no matter what, most of you have made up your minds to not do this. I did not want an expensive field with all the the requirements of a game battlefield. I just wanted an area where I could practice with my units and learn.

And you think that doesn't require coding? You have areas to practice in - it's called your hood, GE and GVG. What you refuse to admit is that you simply want not to have to worry about losing your units. Well the only way a training area would be of ANY use to you or anyone else is if it subjected you to the same units and defenses you'd face elsewhere.

And no matter what to design another element of the game is going to require them to design the code and merge it with the rest of the game and the impacts that it would have on the other elements of the game?

How about the daily challenges that say go kill "x" units? Does what you kill in the 'practice area' count towards that? No? Well that means they need to write the code accordingly and then check it to make sure that it actually works as intended. You seem to lack even the basic understanding of just what you are asking for from the game.

You want to practice go do it. That's how you learn. But what you really want is not to have to pay when you screw up or lose resources doing it. So you don't have to build multiple barracks so that you can afford to field armies to learn how it's done. The problem isn't that we don't understand what you want it is that you REFUSE to see just how much effort and time this would take Inno games. Which means you are at the "because I said so stage". The only real question is who you are trying to fool - us or you at this point?

And for the record we're not here telling you that you can learn in the other areas of the game because we're invested in denying you anything. I provided you advice on how to fix your issues now instead of just coming to this forum to cry. You haven't even bothered to learn the actual process on how to submit a proposal to Inno since this whole thread isn't in the format required for such proposals or even in the right forum for those proposals.

Let me be plain; You ARE NOT going to get a practice area this month. The chance you get one next month is slim to none. Why? Because Inno would already have to be working on it to implement a new section of the game already in that time frame.

Last edited:

Agent327

Yes, you have cause you keep hammering on the fact that you want it, without listening to arguments. wolfhoundtoo has clearly shown you that it is a bother and expense to the game. In fact, it is even a bigger bother and expense than he explained, cause he forgot there are two different AI's, so you will need two practice fields.

Now you can go throw your tantrum and continue that you want a practice field, but I say there is a bigger chance the Boston Celtics will win the NBA.

This year.

DeletedUser33142

I like your idea.

It would be helpful with developing different strategies, playing around with which of your units work best with each other and also against your opponents, how to defeat an army that is 'stronger' through unit placement, etc.

And skimming through the comments yes, GE is helpful for this too, but I can see where you're coming from wanting to test it out without sacrificing your army and having to wait for your units to heal in between.

pelagia1

First of all, I have an Alcatraz. I am not worried about losing my units. It sounds to me like the game does more crying than anyone when they think they might have to spend money. Before you assume how I feel, look at how you are all acting. I did not expect such tantrums over wanting to see what the units are capable of. I did not want to gain points learning how to use units. Forget it. No matter what, you have made up your minds and you are not going to do it.

Agent327

First of all, I have an Alcatraz. I am not worried about losing my units. It sounds to me like the game does more crying than anyone when they think they might have to spend money. Before you assume how I feel, look at how you are all acting. I did not expect such tantrums over wanting to see what the units are capable of. I did not want to gain points learning how to use units. Forget it. No matter what, you have made up your minds and you are not going to do it.

There really is a lot you do not understand. We are players just like you. We do not make changes. We just voice our opinion.

pelagia1

If you are all players, seems to me you have short memories. Or just want tell the game what they want to hear.

Graviton

We are all players, you are not talking to IG employees here. Many of us have been playing for years, not months, and our memories are just fine. We simply disagree with you that a practice field is needed.

DeletedUser26965

We simply disagree
If only that were true, spend enough time on the proposal forum and you'll notice a pattern of rejection by some that is not genuine rather from ulterior motivations. Sometimes it's just people having little moments of delusional power play like they work at IG or something.