• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Proposal: Infiltrate Animation

• Thread starter DeletedUser36665
  • Start date

DeletedUser36665

Hello again,

Another tiny proposal that may help other inexperienced players:

It took me quite some time to understand what "Infiltrate" does.
I didn't notice the health of the enemies decreasing,
and I kept thinking it helps me in some mysterious way.

My recommendation is that the health point that drops should come with some animation to emphasize it.
I recommend either with the same animation as that of a unit being injured in combat (being painted red)
or something like the happiness that rises from a building.

Agent327

So, just because you are slow at understanding things and do not like to read game info, that can be read on the first page

https://us0.forgeofempires.com/page/the_game/getting_started/

You can do more to increase your chances in battle: If you infiltrate a sector, the enemy units are already damaged at the beginning of the battle, which proves to be a great advantage.

devs should be put to work?????

Another fabulous idea. Please keep them coming!

DeletedUser

I wouldn't agree with his wording (I am attempting to be a kinder, gentler curmudgeon) but I agree with the substance of what @Agent327 said.

DeletedUser34800

No thanks. As pointed out, info is easy to find. If not, it's pretty obvious what infiltrate does if you pay attention.

Arya66

Maybe all that is needed is an info box that says something like "by infiltrating, your enemies' health bar will lose one point", when you hover over the infiltrate button. Of course, a "Don't Show Again" button will be needed.

Agent327

Maybe all that is needed is an info box that says something like "by infiltrating, your enemies' health bar will lose one point", when you hover over the infiltrate button. Of course, a "Don't Show Again" button will be needed.

A "Don't Show Again" button when you hover??????

Are you two related?

DeletedUser36665

A. You guys could be a bit nicer. I am suggesting legitimate ideas. @Agent327
B. I feel that reading info that is outside the game, e.g. wiki etc. is a bit like spoilers
cuz it takes some of the fun out of the game. For me at least.
Sorry if you can't relate to that

Emberguard

Emphasising the damage wouldn't be a bad thing. We have emphasis on everything else. Everything in the game should be enough of a explanation that you don't need outside material. Guides are great, but you'd first have to find them. Not everyone would know where to look straight away - and if too much basic stuff requires a guide in order for it to be understood then it's just bad game design (unless of course you want your players to be confused about basic functions).

However, we already have the popup when clicking infiltrate. So I think it would be better suited to put emphasis during the Tutorial when we have that first fight. If it's properly explained or shown there it should be enough to give an idea of what infiltrate does

That and perhaps add more details into that popup. Right now it's almost pure flavour text

Edit: Current popup
upload_2018-11-4_20-58-35.png

Better wording would be (addition marked in green):

I suggest you send your spies to infiltrate the
units stationed here. It will raise your chances
in a battle significantly by damaging the
enemy units
before the battle - a good deal
for a small amount of coins, if you ask me.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I feel that reading info that is outside the game, e.g. wiki etc. is a bit like spoilers
The FoE Wiki is not "outside the game", any more than informational pop-ups are. The fan wikia is, but that's a different thing altogether. If you were playing a board game, would it take "some of the fun" out of it to read the game rules/instructions?

DeletedUser8428

The FoE Wiki is not "outside the game", any more than informational pop-ups are. The fan wikia is, but that's a different thing altogether. If you were playing a board game, would it take "some of the fun" out of it to read the game rules/instructions?
Perhaps the original poster (OP) is not aware that there are TWO wiki.
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Main_Page This wiki belongs to Inno and contains the official instructions for the game. It doesn't seem to be very thorough, so there is a NON official wiki created and maintained by players here
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Forge_of_Empires_Wiki

But much of the information this player was needing was available on the official Inno instructional wiki.

Agent327

B. I feel that reading info that is outside the game, e.g. wiki etc. is a bit like spoilers
Sorry if you can't relate to that

Info isn't outside the game, but on the game's main page. That's the one where you log in in case you do not know, so it must be great fun for you.

DeletedUser36665

I still think all you need to know should be provided in game, as you progress.
And I don't think it's too much to ask that they change the wording like EmberGuard suggested.
Or add an animation.
Or both.
What harm will it do to add more clarity to the game?

Agent327

I still think all you need to know should be provided in game, as you progress.
And I don't think it's too much to ask that they change the wording like EmberGuard suggested.
Or add an animation.
Or both.
What harm will it do to add more clarity to the game?

It will clutter up the game with useless info, only because you are to lazy to learn before you play.

DeletedUser36665

An additional 8 words to a message, instead of having to go read the entire wiki is a worthwhile addition IMO.
Can I please hear somebody else's opinion?

DeletedUser

An additional 8 words to a message, instead of having to go read the entire wiki is a worthwhile addition IMO.
Can I please hear somebody else's opinion?
Sure, I will give you another opinion. Pay attention to the game while you're playing it. I saw what infiltrate accomplished the very first time I used it. When every enemy unit has exactly one health bar turn red, it is blaringly obvious. As @Agent327 said, no need to clutter up the game because you're lazy and/or oblivious.

It wouldn't be an additional 8 words, however. Someone will have an issue with every explanation that FOE has added in-game. So it would be an additional 8 words to every popup and explanation for every minor action that we perform every day here on FOE. Reading the original explanation carefully before you clear it from your screen seems a more efficient way to learn the game. Or read the relevant parts of wiki... no need to read the entire thing to answer one question.

Emberguard

I am not talking about the Wiki!!!!!!

It's on the Game's main page and called "Getting started"!!!!!!

If reading that is to much for you than you have no right to complain about anything!!!
That's in a drop down menu and not necessarily going to be seen. And I agree with Vensa, that's a link from the home page, but it's not in the actual game. I would call it the instruction manual. Perfectly reasonable to choose whether to read or skip it, a instruction manual should be designed to compliment the game but it doesn't have to be necessary to read it. It's just deciding how far the game should explain and where the instruction should fill in the gaps.

I wouldn't mind the 8 words added to the description simply because then you have a idea of what's going to happen before you spend the coins. But it's not a game breaker if it stays as is.

Agent327

That's in a drop down menu and not necessarily going to be seen.

You are going to play a game. You at least want to know what it is about, don't you?

And I agree with Vensa, that's a link from the home page, but it's not in the actual game. I would call it the instruction manual. Perfectly reasonable to choose whether to read or skip it, a instruction manual should be designed to compliment the game but it doesn't have to be necessary to read it.

It isn't, unless you are to daft to notice that when you infiltrate the oponents life bar is changing. If you do not understand that if you pay for something at least something must happen then you should stay at home under your bed.