• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

PvP Adjustment Feedback

DeletedUser4770

If you have any comments on this change, please feel free to put them here in the feedback thread :).
Thank you for playing Forge of Empires!

Yours,
The Forge of Empires Team

DeletedUser31592

Are there any provisions being made for players in BA? They are now locked out of the Halloween event. My BA city is only 9 days old, started to try out the Oracle and see how it effects the game. I give newer players a lot of advice and I needed to see how it changed the game. Now, I've been shut out on quest 32- defeat 16 units or donate goods. BA goods can't be donated and I can't defeat enemy units. No PvP, no GE. There is only the C-Map, but I am already in the IA sections to satisfy the quests. I may be able to get past quest 32, but there is no way I can get past quest 42- win 5 battles without being defeated. I would be too far into the C-Map with my BA troops.
I'm in BA because I haven't got enough goods, much less FPs, to move to IA. There is now no way for me to complete this event. So now I have wasted FPs, researched things I wouldn't have yet, went ahead on the C-Map and all for nothing.
I am NOT a happy player.
I'm sure you have a lot of BA players unhappy.
An entire age locked out of an event. Not acceptable at all.

DeletedUser31592

Oh, and in case they didn't realize it yet- they made one of the two BA GBs obsolete. Why build Zeus if you can't fight?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
It will come into play later on, but silly to have it a "BA" GB when you can't use it in "BA".

Ugh. I'm not mad about the concept. I'm mad about the implementation and timing. Allowing players to attack but not plunder would have been a much better decision. It would have helped new players learn to fight. They would have been able to attack without fear of retaliation and there would be no consequences or hard feelings. But, no, they took it all away. IN THE MIDDLE OF AN EVENT.

DeletedUser12620

Oh, and in case they didn't realize it yet- they made one of the two BA GBs obsolete. Why build Zeus if you can't fight?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
It will come into play later on, but silly to have it a "BA" GB when you can't use it in "BA".

Ugh. I'm not mad about the concept. I'm mad about the implementation and timing. Allowing players to attack but not plunder would have been a much better decision. It would have helped new players learn to fight. They would have been able to attack without fear of retaliation and there would be no consequences or hard feelings. But, no, they took it all away. IN THE MIDDLE OF AN EVENT.

ugh, tell me about it:mad:

DeletedUser31825

You just ruined the game - you essentially wiped out the Bronze Age PvP tournament and people in Early Iron Age are vulnerable against those in the late Iron Age

You should turn off the plunder option for Bronze Age, but still allow them to participate in the Tournament

DeletedUser27889

I agree with the idea of this quite a bit. With people camping in BA indefinitely there needed to be a way to protect brand new players so they didn't get so turned off to the game.

However, the way they went about this was just wrong. Which is becoming a pattern. BA players cannot participate in GE, there is no BA GVG the only place they can fight is in CMap.

Launching this in the middle of an event with zero warning in game and only an announcement here at the end of the day it was implemented is very bad for players.

I support this but this wasn't the time or the way to do it.

DeletedUser

The Zeus is still useful for the C-Map sectors in BA and IA.

I definitely echo what others here have said about the timing and lack of announcement until hours after implementation. Very shoddy practice that seems like it's becoming a habit. When do we get informed of the ongoing Daily Challenge testing? That's been going on for weeks now, and still no official announcement about it.

Algona

Announcing ex post facto? Did someone not get the memo? I mean aside from the entore flippin' player base?

Changes to the game, good or bad, are one thing.

Unannuonced changes? Don't do that.

As to the change itself, silly mistake on your part, INNO. Instead of barring new cities from playing part of the game, let people have a shield that lasts until they reach whatever tech, or attack in PvP, or 10 days after startup.

Do it right next tme.

DeletedUser31882

While I appreciate the sentiment of the change to protect new players, it does not fulfill the goal of 'make sure players have a chance to get familiar with the combat system of the game before being exposed' to the rampaging hordes or the lone clockwork pirate who raids everyday.

This change does not expose the players to defense scenarios or tell them how to set defending units. The newer player may be more familiar with unit types, C-Map and possibly GE, but suddenly find themselves being raided with only the event history video to learn from and no hook or tutorial to push them assign defenders and learn defense strategies. This change allows the non-combat campers of BA & IA an immense advantage and incentive to remain where they are in the tech tree so their Palaces, Terrace farms & Zen Zones to never be touched again. The change also may turn away players who enjoy the idea of PvP raiding as the game delays their ability to don their corsair hats.

To protect new players from rage-quitting and ignorance, I would have set up a 2-3 week invulnerability period (Or whatever time window the Devs feel is appropriate to maximize retention and minimize day 1 pillage quits) and a quick follow up quest to General Grievous's 'intro to combat/spearmen' quest that explains that they can be attacked by their neighbors after X time and they can set defenders to scare off the weak ones. I've seen the invulnerability window in other games that play similar to FoE (Travian I believe?), if that precedent helps or is informative. As someone who may have lost Inno income from raiding BA/IA neighbors, I support some measure to allow newbies to become invested in the game and prepare them for the realities of pillaging.

I must also echo that the timing of release was terrible for the Halloween event, especially without any forewarning. I'm lucky that I completed it early, as the battle and defeat enemy quests were mostly achieved through hood raiding. Although, if the master plan was to punish the BA & IA campers, then I applaud the Machiavellian scheme. Has anyone run the numbers and timing of the battle quests to see if a fresh BA player would even have a chance at completing the Halloween event if they started day 1?

Military tactics feels a bit late for PvP to be unlocked. Is there a reason it is so late in IA instead of being wrapped with Militia tech? Having GB donations & PvP unlock as incentives to hit IA feels more right timing wise pour moi.

Anywho. *Dons sassy sarcasm hat* The worst part of the change, for me, is the 20FP I must spend to see if I can raid my high-end neighbors that have Palaces, Terrace Farms & Zen Zone. On the plus side, the BA/IA campers that dislike and/or complain about pillaging will be able to stock up on salt. Send me a PM if you prefer my flavor.

DeletedUser28670

Inno, good concept.
This is where things go bad.
Bad Timing.
Late Announcement. (resulting in a lot of unnecessary bug reports...)

Let's see how we can improve this.
Firstly, concept -- instead of having it so far up the research tree, have a (number) day shield when you cannot get attacked. If you attack you will receive a confirmation warning about the shield which will be broken as soon you attack / after the days go by.

If that's too complicated, turn off plundering but not attacking.

You had really bad timing.
In a middle of an event? Sure for people staying in BA, but what about the middle - low BA tree people? You want to lock them all out of the event?

Lastly you had a late announcement resulting in a lot of unnecessary bug reports.

Seriously Inno, I give you 1/10 for this.

DeletedUser31592

I must also echo that the timing of release was terrible for the Halloween event, especially without any forewarning. I'm lucky that I completed it early, as the battle and defeat enemy quests were mostly achieved through hood raiding. Although, if the master plan was to punish the BA & IA campers, then I applaud the Machiavellian scheme. Has anyone run the numbers and timing of the battle quests to see if a fresh BA player would even have a chance at completing the Halloween event if they started day 1?

My BA city is only 9 days old. We are on day 5 of the quest. I am stopped at quest 32. I had to wait for my timer to reset to attack this morning. When it reset, I could no longer attack.

HAD I KNOWN this was going to happen, I would have guild-hopped like crazy to buy FPs and rush the quests. I didn't because I knew it'd be a breeze to do in the time frame. I didn't want to run my FP costs up just to finish 10 days early. But if I had known the change was coming, I could have either prepared to make a beeline for IA (instead of using my FPs to level up my Oracle) or I could have bought FPs with coins from intense guild hopping.

DeletedUser28670

And I forgot to mention....
We are introducing this change to make sure players have a chance to get familiar with the combat system of the game
Um, how? New players have no idea what it's all about, since you killed BA PvP....
And this will probably result in a mass exodus of complaints "hey fellow players I have been getting plundered every day since I researched this certain tech before I wasn't even getting attacked how is this????"

DeletedUser31592

Inno, good concept.

In a middle of an event? Sure for people staying in BA, but what about the middle - low BA tree people? You want to lock them all out of the event?

Had this happened in the beginning of the event, it would have been different. I'm in the middle of the tech tree, but I'm still in a spot where it won't do me any good. Can I make it to IA? Yes. But I won't have the goods to donate and I have to wait until next Tuesday to play GE. That would leave me what- three days? two and a half days? to complete 13 quests. With no goods, no FP packs stored up, and limited resources due to racing the tech tree.

DeletedUser31592

And I forgot to mention....

Um, how? New players have no idea what it's all about, since you killed BA PvP....
And this will probably result in a mass exodus of complaints "hey fellow players I have been getting plundered every day since I researched this certain tech before I wasn't even getting attacked how is this????"

And now they will have more time, and possibly money, invested.