• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

PvP arena defense Strategies

SnowyNinja

Does anybody know any good defense strategies because it's very difficult to always win defense as well at least for me and any tips would be great if they fit for PE since that's what age I'm in, Thanks. My current defense I have is 2 tanks and 6 rouges everything else I've tried has failed.

Ebeondi Asi

The best defense is no defense (or at least the minimum possible.) . I am 100% serious. Here is why:
City defense is the same thing. most long time players stick to "Collect on time" as the smart City defense strateg and have little defense.. mainly because a good player can beat nearly any City defense. Same goes for PvP. The amazing thing about PvP is the max attacks counted against you are five per day. So the idea to make that loss as small as possible. since you will lose anyway. !!!
(to win you need huge city defense.which only a very few chase after. ... since City defense is a complete waste of resources and uses up way too much space better used for things you can really use.)
So. use one Bronze Age Spearfighter for defense. What that does is lower your loss. big time. The winner still gets the fuull points level of the Age he fought, so it becomes a win win. The opponent wins, and you win in a lower loss. limited to five per day.

I am sure you may have run into a person using one spearfighter. or just one troop.they are using this strategy. and you win just as many points.
I tossed St Basil. go rid of all city defense bits. So all I still have are city defense in buildings that also have attack bonus.

Last edited:

SnowyNinja

The best defense is no defense (or at least the minimum possible.) . I am 100% serious. Here is why:
City defense is the same thing. mot long time players tick to "Collect on time" as the smart City defense strategy. mainly because a good player can beat nearly any City defense. Same goes for PvP. The amazing thing about PvP is the max attacks counted against you are five per day. So the idea id to make that as small as possible. since you will lose anyway. !!!
(to win you need huge city defense.which only a very few chase after.snce City defense is a complete waste of resources)

more coming just want to get this up
thanks, I mean that does explain why I often win but sometimes I don't meaning some defense temas win just not me I don't have good boosts yet, thanks for the tip and whatever is next

Ebeondi Asi

With practice you can learn just what defense level you can win against in autobattle in PvP. and not fight players with more. PvP is more than just winning stuff. it can be a full school of how to fight, whom to fight. and making mistakes is part of learning too. When I level up a delibertely got after levels I might lose to find out what I can win, what I can't win. etc.
When I was in early eras fighting just seemed to be something that was optional. Now I realize fighting in Foe is the main thing needed to succeed. And almost everything I do is to gain more attack boost.

Emberguard

So. use one Bronze Age Spearfighter for defense. What that does is lower your loss. big time. The winner still gets the fuull points level of the Age he fought, so it becomes a win win. The opponent wins, and you win in a lower loss. limited to five per day
I fail to see how giving them a guaranteed win is better than just using any combination of current age unattached troops and getting points from defending against those that fail, even if you never use defending boosts

Like you said, max 5 losses per day. So by putting a spearman up you’re just losing any free points if someone were to lose against a 0% boost defense. You’re already capped at 5 losses regardless of what your defense is

Ebeondi Asi

To each their own. I already know I am going to lose all five anyway. The likelihood of winning is rather small. To be assured of some wins, one would need to allocate a significant portion of scarce space to City defense. Which as I wrote I consider that to be a total waste of space. So my other extreme alternative is to devote zero to city defense. The fact PvP is limited to five max per day, to me, is the main logic.
I am #1 in all three Worlds both Guild and Era this week. I decided to go for the 100,000 all at once this past Monday from about 60K, and I have easily held on to #1 on through just doing the free attempts.
(in one World the Guild leader passed me yesterday. The problem for Venus Era players is they have no higher Era to attack, thus need about two wins to my one with my being able to fight Eras higher than my own.)

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

I would use whatever troops are guaranteed to inflict at least some losses to the attacker. You're not going to win (usually), but if an attacker knows he's going to lose troops against a certain opponent, and there's another option where he won't, he's more likely to pick the other option. Ideally, you should pick units that are particularly good against previous era units. Deterrence isn't always about winning. Sometimes it's about making it more cost more than it's worth. (Of course, in this time of hyper leveled Alcatraz GBs, it doesn't really matter one way or the other. Lose a few units? Who cares, I've got several dozen more coming in less than 24 hours.)

Ebeondi Asi

I would use whatever troops are guaranteed to inflict at least some losses to the attacker. You're not going to win (usually), but if an attacker knows he's going to lose troops against a certain opponent, and there's another option where he won't, he's more likely to pick the other option. Ideally, you should pick units that are particularly good against previous era units. Deterrence isn't always about winning. Sometimes it's about making it more cost more than it's worth. (Of course, in this time of hyper leveled Alcatraz GBs, it doesn't really matter one way or the other. Lose a few units? Who cares, I've got several dozen more coming in less than 24 hours.)
that is certainly a point in City defense. causing enough loss to the attacker they may think twice. My alternate suggestion is they may think twice when i attack back, and win. Both versions do make some attackers think twice about attacking again. (In city defense I switch troops around various ways. but never use current Era troops to keep them off the roster beginning when doing any fighting. I find the 8 taking up space in front annoying as can be. So I use older troops for City defense. from recent back to Bronze age. I do not care much about which, just so they are different every so often.
For PvP I do not think that matters much. (at least it does not matter to me.) thae only criteria I think about is can I win or not. Win good, lose bad. I used to keep track of opponents I cannot win against, of late all I need to watch is defense boost of opponent. if it is 1200% or higher in Venus. skip. all others fight. (I am in SAM Era) LOL

xivarmy

You have to surprise your opponent to get wins in arena on defense:

- you can't look too tough on the screen or the people you might actually beat simply won't try you. rather it'll be the people with stacked stats that take your first 5 defenses and they're likely to win em all. they might take you anyways - but you want to look "average" such that some weaker players might think "well it's not going to get any better"
- include a flyer if you're likely to be up against people who might send all artillery.
- use higher age troops that people don't expect you to have.
- you might try the earlier advice of using a weak defense for a while so that weaker players discover you're an easy win and start autoing you with impunity. Then suddenly switch to something tough as nails that they wipe on. A variation on this might be to set a tough defense just before reset every day. and then once the 5 defenses are gone, switch to a free-win setup.

Last edited:

Ebeondi Asi

I would ask: why bother chasing a few 'surprise' wins? do you actually think it gains you anything? If the goal is to win the rewards no ,there is zero worth bothering in your idea. Plus the cost again you would need some added city defense to have that idea be worth trying. And that is not worth the space it takes.
But if you want to be able to crow you suckered some other player? I guess it is worth it to you. and to mention something all should know, Everyone has the right to play Foe anyway they like. Noo problem. (but not to me) PvP may be called player vs player, but I call it "220 Forge Points for easy fights" mini-game
Wherein you get to fool around tryiing different tactics, seeing what different troops do in battles, and vs autobattle, fooling around fighting up to two Era higher troops, get to fool around seeing how high a bonus you can beat in same age, higher age(s)
And since I am only fighting the AI it really is not player vs player. rather an opponents bonus and troop choice vs my fighting skill

xivarmy

I would ask: why bother chasing a few 'surprise' wins? do you actually think it gains you anything? If the goal is to win the rewards no ,there is zero worth bothering in your idea. Plus the cost again you would need some added city defense to have that idea be worth trying. And that is not worth the space it takes.
But if you want to be able to crow you suckered some other player? I guess it is worth it to you. and to mention something all should know, Everyone has the right to play Foe anyway they like. Noo problem. (but not to me) PvP may be called player vs player, but I call it "220 Forge Points for easy fights" mini-game
Wherein you get to fool around tryiing different tactics, seeing what different troops do in battles, and vs autobattle, fooling around fighting up to two Era higher troops, get to fool around seeing how high a bonus you can beat in same age, higher age(s)
And since I am only fighting the AI it really is not player vs player. rather an opponents bonus and troop choice vs my fighting skill

Well I wouldn't. I generally gravitate towards the "don't care about PvP arena" camp for the most part though. I've found it to be a good source of prizes on Carthage - but ranking doesn't matter much towards that - if you're in the top 1000 you're getting pretty much as much as #4. My older worlds I find myself kicked out of it for forgetting it exists :p

But the OP asked how to get defense wins - which is at least an interesting question regardless of the merit of getting them.

Pericles the Lion

I agree with EA. I do not worry about defense, the 5 losses are no big deal. I only choose the advanced age players and only autobattle. 5 encounters in the morning, 5 in the evening easily gets me to the Crystal League with time to spare plus keeps me in the #51-500 bracket for weekly prizes. It's an easy 220 fps a month, a few diamonds, and fodder for the Antiques Dealer.

Johnny B. Goode

that is certainly a point in City defense. causing enough loss to the attacker they may think twice. My alternate suggestion is they may think twice when i attack back, and win. Both versions do make some attackers think twice about attacking again. (In city defense I switch troops around various ways. but never use current Era troops to keep them off the roster beginning when doing any fighting. I find the 8 taking up space in front annoying as can be. So I use older troops for City defense. from recent back to Bronze age. I do not care much about which, just so they are different every so often.
For PvP I do not think that matters much. (at least it does not matter to me.) thae only criteria I think about is can I win or not. Win good, lose bad. I used to keep track of opponents I cannot win against, of late all I need to watch is defense boost of opponent. if it is 1200% or higher in Venus. skip. all others fight. (I am in SAM Era) LOL
My point isn't about city defense for two reasons. First, I don't care about city defense. Second, the topic of this thread is PVP Arena.

As far as your assertion that you don't think it matters in PVP Arena, I think you are backwards. It matters more in PVP Arena than in city defense. Especially in lower eras where the average player* may not have a Traz to pump out dozens of troops per day. And since Rogues aren't effective on offense or defense in PVP Arena, it matters much more when an attacker takes significant losses. I have basically unlimited units of the type necessary in my higher era cities, and am working towards that in my lower era cities. I'm pretty sure you are in the same boat. However, we are not your average players. Incidentally, PVP Arena is the only reason that I have now started to place defensive boost items in my cities.

*Not directed at anyone in particular, but it seems to me that a lot of the advice and game wisdom that is shared here on the Forum is better suited to experienced and above average players. That's understandable, given that the most prolific Forum posters are usually experienced and advanced in-game. However, that does make a good percentage of it useless to the average player and the beginning player. Just something to maybe keep in mind.

Pericles the Lion

*Not directed at anyone in particular, but it seems to me that a lot of the advice and game wisdom that is shared here on the Forum is better suited to experienced and above average players. That's understandable, given that the most prolific Forum posters are usually experienced and advanced in-game. However, that does make a good percentage of it useless to the average player and the beginning player. Just something to maybe keep in mind.
Although you make a good point, in another thread the consensus seemed to be that it's not really possible to identify a "strong player". That being the case, it's equally difficult to identify a "beginner" or "average" player. The best that we can do is reply, and/or offer advice, based on the information provided by the OP. In this instance, the OP is in PE which usually (but not always) suggests a player with some experience.

Agaselle

Holding on to the points I gain is in my eyes one way of defense strategy ,of course the best defense can only win sometimes not verry often.
I think thats the reason why the most players like to beat the game on offense tactics with the respectful high up boosts.......

Last edited:

Ebeondi Asi

Holding on to the points I gain is in my eyes one way of defense strategy ,ofcourse the best defense can only win sometimes not verry often.
I think thats the reason why the most players like to beat the game on offense tactics with the respectful high up boosts.......

The problem with not losing points to losses is the 'cost' in using city space to have such defensive abilities. The wasted space on PvP and city defense (to actually win attacks) is far better used for anything else !!!
I see high Era players with 1500 defense in PvP and laugh. (they do have the right to play as they wish, no problem) but all that City real estate could have been used to produce something of value.
For new players City defense for counteracting Plundering is a concern. But later on. when one can collect on time once a day, city defense is an unneeded luxury. And the same applies to PvP
The small cost to let the few losses occurring mean nothing compared to beating the vast majority of higher Era players (in PvP)
I'm in SAM Era (just got to 2000% attack army Defense in one city Whoo Hoo !! ) and can beat PvP Venus players with over 1500%D So every single day those guys are wasting around 20% of their possible earnings from City for nothing except a few wins in PvP? Not even close to worth having.
And as I wrote they have every right to configure their City to do what they enjoy doing.No problem. I'm just explaining why it could be more efficiently used.

The other side of this. Attack and attack army defense is more useful by far. being used in GvG GbG GE and PvP plus in Continental Map exploration (instead of Negotiations) In quests, and in SAM to gain Mars Ore.

Last edited:

Emberguard

Holding on to the points I gain is in my eyes one way of defense strategy ,ofcourse the best defense can only win sometimes not verry often.
I'd say the other aspect of it is PvP Arena only counts the first 5 defending battles. Not the first 5 attacks from each unique attacker, just the first 5 attacks combined. It's definitely worth putting up a decent Unattached Unit army, because it's not costing anything to put up 8 defending unattached units and at least then you're not completely defenceless. But putting into defending army boosts is going to be more about enjoying beating the opponent at their game than it is anything else.

On neighbourhood attacks you're never going to get a decent return from going all in on defense so its worth is limited to how often you're actually attacked, plundered and how many of those attacks you could realistically stop from getting through. That value is going to change from World to World, Server to Server and Era to Era. For PvP Arena there's a hard cap on how much you could possibly be effected so that also has a limit on what the value is