• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

PvP Arena (Reworked) Feedback

So I tried it and went up against an age up player. Woops he had some awesome city defense. Lost all my troops and he suffered zero loses. Guess I'll slink my way back down to fighting to the poor previous age fellows. Oops found a lower aged camper with good city defense.. NVM, it's just as I said. I'm out again. Seems you need a really powerful army that can beat your neighborhood bully that likes to plunder. If you can't take revenge on the bully, no need to even try PVP arena.
You have to look at how strong their defending army bonuses are before attacking them. While you can't see what kind of troops they have, if they've got a defensive bonus of 1000%, stay away from them! I've been able to beat players 2 ages higher than me, with troops that were also 2 ages higher than mine but their defending army bonuses were lower than my attacking army bonuses.

I lost a lot of troops during those first few days. Now it's very rare that I lose one.

allupinya

Here's a question, why aren't Rogues valid in PvP? Every time I've tried to use Rogues, the defending army kills my other troops first.

And while we're on the subject of defenders, (in PvP or elsewhere), when I attack with Ghost Blasters, I'm lucky if one of them can hit anything on the other side of the field in the first round, but when I encounter a player defending with them, their Ghost Blasters take out almost my entire force from across the field in the first round.

SnowyNinja

Here's a question, why aren't Rogues valid in PvP? Every time I've tried to use Rogues, the defending army kills my other troops first.

And while we're on the subject of defenders, (in PvP or elsewhere), when I attack with Ghost Blasters, I'm lucky if one of them can hit anything on the other side of the field in the first round, but when I encounter a player defending with them, their Ghost Blasters take out almost my entire force from across the field in the first round.
To answer your question about rouges the PvP arena has the same AI as the continent maps which means the enemy doesn't focus on rouges like it does in your hood and probably in other places I just haven't fought much in those other places, I don't know why they did this I jut know they did.

qaccy

That's just due to the terrain layout. I've pointed out as soon as SAV was available for testing that Ghost Blasters are generally worse than Nail Storms as a ranged unit. Nail Storms already have bad movement; Ghost Blasters are even worse. In addition, they have one less range. They move pretty quickly, but IMO if you're attacking in PvP I don't see a reason not to use Energy Cannons for pretty much everything. I'm only using Sentinels against SAV opponents since I'm still in SAAB and they win pretty much every time unless the defenders are Energy Cannons (since they move first).

allupinya

That's just due to the terrain layout. I've pointed out as soon as SAV was available for testing that Ghost Blasters are generally worse than Nail Storms as a ranged unit. Nail Storms already have bad movement; Ghost Blasters are even worse. In addition, they have one less range. They move pretty quickly, but IMO if you're attacking in PvP I don't see a reason not to use Energy Cannons for pretty much everything. I'm only using Sentinels against SAV opponents since I'm still in SAAB and they win pretty much every time unless the defenders are Energy Cannons (since they move first).
Yeah, those Nail Storms are beasts. I am still using them occasionally in GBG. And I do mostly use the Energy Cannons, but when I run low I end up using the other troops.

Man4star

I have a few feedback thoughts:.
1) Why must a player be in EMA to participate when activating PVP is an Iron Age event on the research tree? In one of my worlds my diamond farm is parked in Iron Age with no plans to move on because it helps the guild treasury with Iron age goods to cover new players. I would much rather use the PVP arena than attacking my very weak neighbors to accomplish # of battle quests or # of HC cycles.

2) I need the ability to view battles I lose defending my city so I can effectively adjust my defenses. Without this ability I can see myself quickly tiring of the arena because their is no way I can improve 1/2 of my game. If this is Inno's attempt to force us into city defense great buildings, then I'm also out because limited expansions force us to prioritize structures and that priority must go towards earning the greater rewards in GBG.

3) Though the guild, age and global ranking make the PVP arena interesting, the ultimate deciding factor will be the value of the rewards. At this point they are insufficient to take time or resources away from a successful GBG session.

4) The points rewarded for the low, medium, and high competition opponents should reflect the age of the troops. I frequently meet next age troops with the mid-level opponent and that is reasonable. But the high level opponent can be someone three ages above me using troops from the next age up. Thus my troops are fighting against troops four ages above. Fighting such a high level opponent would be fun and I would consider it successful if I ended with one unit and one bar of life. BUT those types of losses are not justified when receiving the same number of victory points as if I had fought someone from the next age with age appropriate units..

Agent327

I have a few feedback thoughts:.
1) Why must a player be in EMA to participate when activating PVP is an Iron Age event on the research tree? In one of my worlds my diamond farm is parked in Iron Age with no plans to move on because it helps the guild treasury with Iron age goods to cover new players. I would much rather use the PVP arena than attacking my very weak neighbors to accomplish # of battle quests or # of HC cycles.

In IA you activate the option to fight and plunder your neighbours. In EMA you activate the PvP Arena. Different part of the game.

2) I need the ability to view battles I lose defending my city so I can effectively adjust my defenses. Without this ability I can see myself quickly tiring of the arena because their is no way I can improve 1/2 of my game. If this is Inno's attempt to force us into city defense great buildings, then I'm also out because limited expansions force us to prioritize structures and that priority must go towards earning the greater rewards in GBG.

While it would be a good addition, you really do not need it to adjust your defenses. Active fighters know what to use.

3) Though the guild, age and global ranking make the PVP arena interesting, the ultimate deciding factor will be the value of the rewards. At this point they are insufficient to take time or resources away from a successful GBG session.

That's why you have a choice.

4) The points rewarded for the low, medium, and high competition opponents should reflect the age of the troops. I frequently meet next age troops with the mid-level opponent and that is reasonable. But the high level opponent can be someone three ages above me using troops from the next age up. Thus my troops are fighting against troops four ages above. Fighting such a high level opponent would be fun and I would consider it successful if I ended with one unit and one bar of life. BUT those types of losses are not justified when receiving the same number of victory points as if I had fought someone from the next age with age appropriate units..

Troops are always age appropriate. You can also set a defending army with troops less than your age.

Pericles the Lion

"While it would be a good addition, you really do not need it to adjust your defenses. Active fighters know what to use."

Please educate me Agent327. How does an active fighter effectively adjust his defending army if he (1) does not know what units his attacker used and (2) does not know the tactics the attacker used with those units? Please suggest a reason for INNO to have instant replay on city attacks but not PvP.

Separately, I was hoping that my matchups would show some variety after Monday's reset. No such luck. I still only see the same three players in my age, the age up player never changes, the lower age players show a little variety (maybe 6-8 different players). Refresh makes little or no difference and I'm not going to spend diamonds to refresh. Review of my log shows that my three same-age players seem to have the same issue....I am only being attacked by them.

Is the match up mechanism going to be corrected? If not this will get boring very quickly.

Agent327

Please educate me Agent327. How does an active fighter effectively adjust his defending army if he (1) does not know what units his attacker used and (2) does not know the tactics the attacker used with those units? Please suggest a reason for INNO to have instant replay on city attacks but not PvP.

In your hood, there usually are a couple of fighters that attack you and do so day after day. Knowing what they use, might help you maybe once, cause after that they can start switching there attack army, so you will be preparing blind.

In the PvP Arena you can meet all sorts of players including those of ages above and below. They can attack you and do the same 5 minutes later, or maybe never again, so what is it you want to prepare for? Unlike in your hood, you really do not know who will attack you. Besides that, most players use the same troops to attack anyhow, so smart thing in the Arena is to prepare for that if possible.

Separately, I was hoping that my matchups would show some variety after Monday's reset. No such luck. I still only see the same three players in my age, the age up player never changes, the lower age players show a little variety (maybe 6-8 different players). Refresh makes little or no difference and I'm not going to spend diamonds to refresh. Review of my log shows that my three same-age players seem to have the same issue....I am only being attacked by them.

Is the match up mechanism going to be corrected? If not this will get boring very quickly.

Matchup system highly depends on the players signing up for the Arena. If it will change nobody can tell at the moment.

GeniePower

After jut a week the Arena has lost all appeal already facing the same 5 players over and over and over and over. Age ranking shows 210 players, 163 of them with points so not signing up is not the root cause of this. Higher age players, which in the beginning were attackable are now limited to only PE and ME players (I'm in CA). The unbalance for CA and Indy players where the majority of your opponents have the PE map making it impossible for you to reach the other side before you're dead is not a lot of fun either and exclusively beating up LMA players is even worse. There is probably some effed up matchmaking error like just fixed in GBG. Rewards are really not worth the grind of doing the same thing over and over and over 12 times or more a day.

GeniePower

Troops are always age appropriate. You can also set a defending army with troops less than your age.
What is your definition of age appropriate? I face players in Indy that have a full PME defense. We all know you can get higher age units through quests and they will put those in defense.

Ebeondi Asi

Future Era is nice since one can sill fight against Arctic, Oceanic and Virtual. and win. As for other Eras the main problem is not enough attack boost to manage against higher Era troops. as the game has a progressive need for more attack boost.
I would say if you can walk through GE level 4 with ease, and do it all autobattle, you should be able to handle next Era troops in PvP
If you raced up through the age and can barely finish GE level 3 fighting manually. then you can see you will have a problem in PvP fighting next Era troops.

Agent327

What is your definition of age appropriate? I face players in Indy that have a full PME defense. We all know you can get higher age units through quests and they will put those in defense.

So? They have used the opportunities the game gives them. That makes those troops age appropriate.

Pericles the Lion

So I'm going to stop complaining about the matchmaking. According to the ranking there are 101 Colonial players with points yet I only get matched up with three. I have their defenses dialed in and beat them with ease....and they me. I only ever get matched with 2 age-up players both are Industrial defending with PME units. Yes, Agent327, they have used the opportunities the game gave them and I choose to not fight them. I see a about a dozen lower ager players but choose hot to fight them...what would be the point since I can beat the three same-age players. FWIW, the current matchmaking makes it easy foe me to rank in the 50-500 bracket every week and achieve the crystal league. So, INNO, don't change a thing. It's not challenging but the rewards are commensurate with the level of difficulty.

GeniePower

Future Era is nice since one can sill fight against Arctic, Oceanic and Virtual. and win. As for other Eras the main problem is not enough attack boost to manage against higher Era troops. as the game has a progressive need for more attack boost.
I would say if you can walk through GE level 4 with ease, and do it all autobattle, you should be able to handle next Era troops in PvP
If you raced up through the age and can barely finish GE level 3 fighting manually. then you can see you will have a problem in PvP fighting next Era troops.
I can easily handle Indy troops, no problem at all. Most every fight in hood or PvP do CA players have Indy troops. Now you also know that the map changes to PE. So even though I technically have enough strength to beat PE units and have occasionally succeeded, most of the time I cannot reach them before they have killed me because of my limited range and 60% of the time having trenches and barbed wire from top to bottom of the screen with only a single tile to get through.
So? They have used the opportunities the game gives them. That makes those troops age appropriate.
I'm not faulting them for having acquired those units but it is not my definition of age appropriate. They have advanced units.

English man 2

What a waste of my time.. I really wish inno had put their efforts into something better. I played for a week and gave up on it. Now, its just going to sit there and do nothing. Thanks for nothing inno.

Ebeondi Asi

So far in my three Cities I have earned 320 Forge Points doing PvP. I like it. the time it takes is almost nothing. The fact the fights count in totals isgood the fact I get to fight higher Era troops and learn how they work is also good. I get to see who in my Worlds are good fighters (at least in PvP I see my rank in my Era, and in my own Guild. all also good.

hajiboy

Here is a contest for everyone. Who has battled the same player the most times in a row - that is without that player being switched out.
I just painstakingly counted that I was matched with and battled the same player 70 times in a row without that player being switched out. Am I missing something? That is one peculiar matching algorithm.

Ebeondi Asi

I have had the same real person opponent 42 times in two days. Why? In between there were a few others, but five out of six times the Era up opponent is ONE GUY. ???And as posted above if I counted all the times yeah ot would also be well over 70 times.. I don't care too much and try not to complain too much, but in general I would say this is just plain stupid.

ant..

I don't know if they changed anything, but today I have had several new AI opponents alternating in the top spot.